Menu

S/O What age would you allow your child to read "The Hunger Games" series?

What Age Would You Allow Your Child to Read "The Hunger Games"?  

1. 1. What Age Would You Allow Your Child to Read "The Hunger Games"?

• Any age
    • 8-9
    • 10-11
    • 12-13
    • 14+
    • Other (please explain)

I've never understood forbidding *any* book from my children. There are books they are not mature enough to understand, sure, but if for some reason either of my children wanted to read HG (they don't, yet), I'd discuss what book is about, which might postpone their curiosity a bit, and if they still want to read it, we'd read it together.

My parents tried forbidding certain books for me during my precocious reader phase and it backfired, creating sort of a 'forbidden fruit' situation. And when I finally did read the blacklisted books, they turned out to be much tamer than I was led to believe and I was a little offended that my parents thought I couldn't handle xyz. IMO if a child is interested, more often than not, they're ready.

My son read it at 11, mostly because his older sisters and I were dissecting it aloud every night for a week. If he had been child #1 I probably would have waited for 12, but there are some things that child #3 got that child #1 never did. (Such as Honey Nut Cheerios before age 5.)

Title should read I voted 10-11...., not 11-12! Oops.

I've never understood forbidding *any* book from my children.

:iagree:

But when would depend on the maturity level of the child, comprehension level, etc. If I had a 10-yo who was interested I would have no problem with it. I tried very hard to get my then 12-yo son to read it last year, but he wasn't interested.

I voted any age.

DS read all three books the summer before he turned 10. I hadn't read them, but he didn't have a problem with any of the content. He was reading all young adult and adult fiction at the time anyway.

I don't prohibit my kids from reading any books (within reason), but I would prefer DD wait until she's 10/11.

Dd read it at age 10 but that was after hearing ds and I (and later, ds and his friends) discuss it, so she knew what to expect. She's very sensitive, but moreso to the plight of animals: if they'd been fighting animals to their deaths in the arena, she would not have read it, I'm sure.

My 12 year old is the same way. I have to be very careful with animal books. No Old Yeller for us. ;) I'm even avoiding Animal Farm at this point because she is a horse lover and the horse character is sent to the glue factory. :001_huh:

I've never understood forbidding *any* book from my children. There are books they are not mature enough to understand, sure, but if for some reason either of my children wanted to read HG (they don't, yet), I'd discuss what book is about, which might postpone their curiosity a bit, and if they still want to read it, we'd read it together.

My parents tried forbidding certain books for me during my precocious reader phase and it backfired, creating sort of a 'forbidden fruit' situation. And when I finally did read the blacklisted books, they turned out to be much tamer than I was led to believe and I was a little offended that my parents thought I couldn't handle xyz. IMO if a child is interested, more often than not, they're ready.

:iagree:

Would you allow your child to read Fifty Shades of Gray?

My parents were pretty strict about what media content I was exposed to until I was in high school, and even then certain things were deemed inappropriate. I can remember stumbling across a Henry Miller novel and my parents vetoing that. I read it later in college and totally understood why they had put the kibosh on it.

I haven't had to forbid books for my dc (Hunger Games, Twilight, HP, etc.) but we don't have them in the house. ;) We talk briefly about what the books are about and my dc know how I feel about them. I've not had even one ask or say they want to read them (thank goodness).

If they did ask, I suppose I would tell them it was fully their choice but also fully their responsibility as far as being aware of how the material might affect them.

I would, however, not hesitate to forbid books for my dc under a certain age; for Hunger Games, that would be the late teens.

I think it is the use of "allow" that is the stumbling block for me, here. While that certainly wouldn't be a book I would assign for them or encourage, after a certain age I will have minimal ability to stop them from reading something. I don't think my kids are going to 1) know about that book or 2) be at all interested for many years. And if they should be interested when they are older teens, I hope we have an open enough dialog to let me know if they want to read it, I'll read it also, and we can have a lot of good discussions about feminist theory and different uses of narrative and quality writing.

10 and up I would consider it. Ds actually read it at 13 and it was perfect timing for him.

This, but it depends on the child. DD the Elder is ready at 10, but I doubt her sister will be.

:iagree: My youngest especially has started books her brother has read and talked about out of curiosity. And when she's truly not ready for them, she quickly sets them aside. I think if you have highly sensitive children, that's something to be aware of. I do not. In fact, I envisioned keeping them away from some books and movies much longer than I actually have in reality because they understand and can discuss the themes and do not get scared, have nightmares, etc. I think it really depends on your own kids. I don't really think you can make a judgment on someone's parenting by when they allow their children access to certain literature.

FTR - my oldest discovered them and read them at 10/11. My daughter just picked up Hunger Games at 8.

My parents were pretty strict about what media content I was exposed to until I was in high school, and even then certain things were deemed inappropriate. I can remember stumbling across a Henry Miller novel and my parents vetoing that. I read it later in college and totally understood why they had put the kibosh on it.

We don't have 50 Shades in the house (blech), but we do have some erotica. It's not hidden any more than are books about Nazi Germany, but we are upfront with the girls that these are not books for kids. I did the same with the Hunger Games (and Ender's Game, etc.): These were shelved with Collins' other books, not hidden and not forbidden.

Funny that you ask. My 11 picked it up and started reading it yesterday. I got the book last year for my (then) 17 yo. I'm not going to stop my 11 yo from reading it, but I wish he'd chosen something else. He has dyslexia and reading has been a great struggle for him. On the one hand I'm thrilled that he's reading, but on the other hand I wish he was reading some uplifting classic.

Once a book is allowed in a house, it's hard to restrict.

Such a tough question for me! I grew up reading whatever I wanted as a child and I read a lot. However, I did come across images and scenes that I wish I'd never been exposed to at an age when I just wasn't ready...I also tend to feel things deeply and truly believe that once you read something it can become a part of you, at least for a while. Even as an adult I had a hard time with certain scenes in The Kite Runner and wasn't myself for a long time after reading that book. I regret ever reading his second book, A Thousand Splendid Suns. That book deeply disturbed me!

My 9 yr old was very interested in reading The Hunger Games because some of his friends have read it. I read it and believe the adult issues of alcoholism, depression, starvation, and death that are present throughout the book are not appropriate for a child. He's a pretty mature guy, but the book just wouldn't be developmentally appropriate for him.

I voted 12-13, I would consider it at 11.

FWIW - I read the 1st book and the 2nd book has been sitting on my nightstand for 1.5 years. I just can't decide if I want to finish the series.

I just finished The Underland Chronicles and I wasn't terribly happy with the way she ended the series. :glare:

Any. I rarely (I can't think of one time, actually) censor books.

If I had a child I knew to be sensitive, I'd discourage some books at some ages.

But my "no censorship" stand in reading and parenting comes with a caveat: this is only appropriate if accompanied with open discussion, and the parents being involved in helping the child process intense or heavy content. I am hands off of *choosing* books for them, but not hands off of being involved.

I'm having a hard time with the word "allow."

The only books I have flat-out forbidden for my kids to read at a certain age are the Twilight books. DH strongly discouraged Ender's Game before a certain age, and I would discourage The Hunger Games for a 7 year old.

That said, I don't think I would take the book away from a 7 year old who wanted to read it, although I would encourage them to feel empowered to stop reading if they felt it was too much.

I handed the first two books to my twins just shy of their 10th birthday and encouraged them to read it.

I'll probably vote 10-11.

Were I going to ban material for being full of rape, murder, incest, graphic sexuality, genocide (as a positive), and fratricide—to name a few—then the Bible would get banned. But I don't ban that one either.

Bill

Were I going to ban material for being full of rape, murder, incest, graphic sexuality, genocide (as a positive), and fratricide—to name a few—then the Bible would get banned. But I don't ban that one either.

Bill

That's why there are children's Bibles.

I'm having a hard time with the word "allow."

The only books I have flat-out forbidden for my kids to read at a certain age are the Twilight books. DH strongly discouraged Ender's Game before a certain age, and I would discourage The Hunger Games for a 7 year old.

That said, I don't think I would take the book away from a 7 year old who wanted to read it, although I would encourage them to feel empowered to stop reading if they felt it was too much.

I handed the first two books to my twins just shy of their 10th birthday and encouraged them to read it.

I'll probably vote 10-11.

I'm curious--no judgement. Why the ban on Twilight and what was the age?

I'm one of those weird subsets of parents who are liberal and yet have conservative rules about certain things. ;)

I was a very sensitive child and there are books I had to read that still haunt me. I'm also careful of books and movies I watch as an adult for the same reason. I never outgrew my sensitivity.

My kids are also sensitive. Very much so. I am trying to be careful about how and when they are exposed to things.

There's just something about child innocence I'd like to preserve if I can. Plenty of time for more mature themes later.

I'm curious--no judgement. Why the ban on Twilight and what was the age?

To be honest, we haven't set a firm age. I'm thinking 15, but possibly later. (I have a 17 year old son, and I would let him read them, but he has no interest.)

I somewhat jokingly told my 12-year-old twins that I think kids should not be allowed to read the books until they have been through a romantic relationship breaking up without having a breakdown. I still think that is not a bad guideline, although since I still haven't met that criteria myself, they might be waiting a while. :lol:

As for why, well, in a nutshell, I find the morality of the Twilight books to be horrendous, from the view of appropriate boyfriend behavior to the view of motherhood. In contrast with The Hunger Games, where horrible things happen but are clearly presented as horrible things, in Twilight horrible things are presented as good. Katniss, Peeta, and Gale have their flaws, but they also have many admirable qualities that I would be proud if my daughter and sons imitated. I would stay awake at night if they began to act like Bella or Edward.

I say this as someone who has read all three Hunger Games books and all four Twilight books before any of the movies came out. I watched The Hunger Games. I could not bring myself to watch the Twilight movies. The previews made me cringe too much.

I enjoyed the Twilight books as a guilty pleasure, but when I began to imagine my kids reading them, I realized how many issues I had with the morality.