Menu

The "cool" homeschooler

While visiting with a friend who is not a homeschooler, she stated that there are a number of homeschool families that attend her church. She said "They are the kind of homeschoolers I would want to be like if I choose to homeschool." "They are the cool homeschoolers, you know the ones who have their kids in sports and co-ops and such."

This made me go back to the days when we first made the decision to homeschool our kids. This is the way I felt as well. I was determined to get my kids into sports and other social activities... well, apparently I wasn't determined enough. Here we are five years later and my kids are in NO activities. It made me sad to think that I am failing my kids in the social area. They literally are never around any other kids except for one neighbor boy who comes over about once a month or so.

I have called on a co-op before but they required that I come and teach a class as well and it was still a pretty high price considering our income. I can't see myself teachign a class at this time or anytime soon for that matter.

So my question is this.......

How do I become the "cool homeschooler"? Where do I start and can I do it without breaking the bank?

You have an infant and a toddler- how do people expect you to be running around all the time shuttling your olders from activity to activity? :glare:

I would try to find ONE activity that both your olders can do together, like 4H. Many groups offer fee waivers or other financial aid if things are really tight.

I figure we look pretty "cool" now as homeschoolers, but it certainly wasn't that way when DD was a baby. You have little ones and even your older kids are pretty young. Don't sweat it.

Free/low cost things we did when DD was little: hit the free days at the museum, go to the library, go for coffee at McDonalds and let the kids play at the playland, take our school work to the park on nice days. Rent free educational movies from the library. Free daytime concerts on the lawn.

Now that my youngest is 11, there are more choices. We can take our schoolbooks to the library or a coffee shop for the day. With the older two off to college, we have more disposable income (oddly enough) so more $$ available for music lessons and sports. We go to the lower-cost day matinee shows for plays (the ones for school kids). We go to lunch-time lectures and such.

You have an infant and a toddler- how do people expect you to be running around all the time shuttling your olders from activity to activity? :glare:

I would try to find ONE activity that both your olders can do together, like 4H. Many groups offer fee waivers or other financial aid if things are really tight.

:iagree:

If you're looking for free or inexpensive extracurricular opportunities, scouts are pretty low cost. Also, check out the first tee program (golf), which is economical as well. Not sure if you're members of a church, but religious ed and/or youth group are additional possibilities, although our CCD classes are not cheap :glare: Libraries usually have free activities, and parks are fun and free too!

:iagree: You can be cool when all your children can walk and go to the bathroom by themselves.

Don't worry about it.

Our kids are involved in scouts, 4-H, and rec department sports. These activities keep us busy, are inexpensive, and the kids love them. We also keep our eyes open for opportunities that come up through a college and community college near us. They often have music and art classes, etc.

I agree your kids are young and there is time. Do you have a local email list for homeschoolers? If so, I'd think about maybe suggesting a free activity such as "Meet at Johnson Park at 2:00 Tuesday." That's how we started and before long it led to families meeting each other and developing other activities. As long as people have transportation (and I understand that's a big if) homeschooling social activities should not have to be expensive. Sometimes it just takes a couple of people being willing to propose some free or low cost activities to start to build a community.

I disagree with the bolded. I don't think the older kids should have to wait for activities due to the fact they have young siblings. It doesn't take a lot of shuttling for one or two activities, once or twice a week. I have really seen my kids thrive since they got more involved *outside* of our home, without me, or a sibling, tagging along.

The homeschool groups we've tried to be active in have all been flaky :leaving:. People not showing up to planned outings really got on my nerves. We stopped.

Well cool isn't about doing what everyone else thinks is cool. :D Cool is redefining the rules for yourself. Cool is an attitude, not the things you can check off a list. :D

We're broke, no activities, and honestly ds doesn't care. He's still cool, he has such varied interests and we have such great diverse conversations, I'm not worried either.

When he was younger we did 4H, YMCA t-ball, scouts, Upward Basketball, co-op, and got together with friends. Those were limited, not expensive activities. He has no interest in sports or scouts now.

Many of my facebook friends are homeschoolers, some from this board. They post things their kids are doing, and I see these great pics of confident happy kids who are not following the status quo of what they're supposed to be doing. That's cool.

If sports, co-ops, and whatever are your thing, great. If not, so what, there are 2 gajillion (not an actual number) other things to do in this world. Find what your kids like and what you can afford, financially and time wise and invest into that. It may take a few tries to find something, but think outside the box.

ETA: in fact forget the box, throw away the box completely (metaphorically of course, you should have boxes in case you don't have enough bookcases)

I did it with my twins being infants and now toddlers. We do a co-op, one daughter used to play soccer and then switched to horseback riding and one daughter plays competitive softball. The twins grew up going to all of these activities and love being a part of them. I think it's very doable. You just have to plan ahead and come prepared.

We use a charter school, and spend most of that money on outside activities. I don't know what we'd do without it, but I do believe outside activities are important for our family starting around 10yo.

I don't unerstand? What do you mean? Do you kids go to a charter school? Does the school give you money? I don't know anything about charter schools..

I'm going to guess that the number one piece of advice here is to not try because it's not worth it.

That said, we love being busy with outside stuff. Did you see this thread on the K-8 Board?

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/showthread.php?t=430491

I want to at least try. It may not end up being for us, but I'll regret it if we don't try. Thanks for the link, looking into it now.

One activity is a good way to start and find out if we are "that" family :)

If you're looking for free or inexpensive extracurricular opportunities, scouts are pretty low cost. Also, check out the first tee program (golf), which is economical as well. Not sure if you're members of a church, but religious ed and/or youth group are additional possibilities, although our CCD classes are not cheap :glare: Libraries usually have free activities, and parks are fun and free too!

We tried scouts a couple years ago and there was only one other kid. I should call and check if they have more scouts yet, but it wasn't worth it to us at that point..

:iagree: You can be cool when all your children can walk and go to the bathroom by themselves.

Don't worry about it.

Hahaha this cracks me up! But I do want to try. My older two deserve that.

Our kids are involved in scouts, 4-H, and rec department sports. These activities keep us busy, are inexpensive, and the kids love them. We also keep our eyes open for opportunities that come up through a college and community college near us. They often have music and art classes, etc.

4-H is one I should look into, thanks!

I disagree with the bolded. I don't think the older kids should have to wait for activities due to the fact they have young siblings. It doesn't take a lot of shuttling for one or two activities, once or twice a week. I have really seen my kids thrive since they got more involved *outside* of our home, without me, or a sibling, tagging along.

The homeschool groups we've tried to be active in have all been flaky :leaving:. People not showing up to planned outings really got on my nerves. We stopped.

I think you are right. We will try to start with just one activity and see how it goes.

Well cool isn't about doing what everyone else thinks is cool. :D Cool is redefining the rules for yourself. Cool is an attitude, not the things you can check off a list. :D

We're broke, no activities, and honestly ds doesn't care. He's still cool, he has such varied interests and we have such great diverse conversations, I'm not worried either.

When he was younger we did 4H, YMCA t-ball, scouts, Upward Basketball, co-op, and got together with friends. Those were limited, not expensive activities. He has no interest in sports or scouts now.

Many of my facebook friends are homeschoolers, some from this board. They post things their kids are doing, and I see these great pics of confident happy kids who are not following the status quo of what they're supposed to be doing. That's cool.

If sports, co-ops, and whatever are your thing, great. If not, so what, there are 2 gajillion (not an actual number) other things to do in this world. Find what your kids like and what you can afford, financially and time wise and invest into that. It may take a few tries to find something, but think outside the box.

ETA: in fact forget the box, throw away the box completely (metaphorically of course, you should have boxes in case you don't have enough bookcases)

Good advice! I do however want to give it a try... at least one activity.

I did it with my twins being infants and now toddlers. We do a co-op, one daughter used to play soccer and then switched to horseback riding and one daughter plays competitive softball. The twins grew up going to all of these activities and love being a part of them. I think it's very doable. You just have to plan ahead and come prepared.

:) Glad it worked fo ryou. Hope we find the same.

We use a charter school, and spend most of that money on outside activities. I don't know what we'd do without it, but I do believe outside activities are important for our family starting around 10yo.

Yes, the charter school gives us $1600 per year per child. We can spend that on curriculum (non-religious) and/or activities.

ETA: That also means we have a monthly meeting with a certificated teacher (we love ours, so not a problem for us), and yearly standardized testing (which my weirdo kids enjoy, lol). I do all teaching at home.

I half wonder if the "cool" coop is one my SIL is part of. There is childcare and all the moms participate, either in doing the childcare for all the littles or teaching a class. The childcare makes it possible for the other moms to teach and the olders to get out and participate in classes. The kids love it and while it is work for the moms, SIL seems to think it's worth it for the social aspects as well as classes in specialized subjects (like martial arts one semester for my nephew!).

Is it just me or does anyone else find this friend a little passive-aggressively mean? Not trying to make trouble, but I assume she knows you don't do anything outside the house. Her comment about "cool homeschoolers who she'd want to be like" just seems... thoughtless. I'd think twice about letting her assessment/judgment influence you. If you want to do more outside of the home because you believe it best for your kids, by all means, find a way. But if part of it is in response to how someone else perceives you (someone who appears to be somewhat immature relationally), I'd rethink it.

Yes, the charter school gives us $1600 per year per child. We can spend that on curriculum (non-religious) and/or activities.

ETA: That also means we have a monthly meeting with a certificated teacher (we love ours, so not a problem for us), and yearly standardized testing (which my weirdo kids enjoy, lol). I do all teaching at home.

How do I find out about this? Sounds great!

Is it just me or does anyone else find this friend a little passive-aggressively mean? Not trying to make trouble, but I assume she knows you don't do anything outside the house. Her comment about "cool homeschoolers who she'd want to be like" just seems... thoughtless. I'd think twice about letting her assessment/judgment influence you. If you want to do more outside of the home because you believe it best for your kids, by all means, find a way. But if part of it is in response to how someone else perceives you (someone who appears to be somewhat immature relationally), I'd rethink it.

lol I got this too.Was wondering if anyone would comment on that part of the coversation. I admit I was a little hurt by it... but I do want more activities for our kids outside the home. At least one good one.

My dd is soon-to-be 10. The HS association I belong to has co-ops, but they are held quite a ways from our home which would take too much time from our school day with driving to and from. So I can't attend them. Our alternative....the public school. Since Kindergarten I have had dd attend PE and music with her peers in the local elementary school once a week. She's only there for an hour and fifteen minutes in subjects where I don't worry about content too much.

I tried several times to get her interested in sports but without success until we found To-Shin Do (American version of Ninjitsu). This is the only expensive extra-curricular sport she is a part of. Then, our community offers a free Star Bright Theater Group for elementary kids. We just became a part of that.

I would say check out your local recreation department to see what's going on and see what you can do with your local public elementary school. It's worked for us.

Look into activities at your library. Those are usually free. My library offers Explorer's Club for K-5th graders 1x/week and it lasts several hours. They also have open chess day on Sundays. They also have several monthly activities: Teen Book Club, Game Day, and Anime Club.

If your kids are into gaming at all, you should check to see if you have a local gaming store. The gaming store 30 minutes away has a weekly homeschool gaming time for two hours. The one just 5 minutes away has a free play day on Sunday afternoons. These are card games and board games.

All of these are free activities.

FWIW, I host a lot of playdates at our house. Perhaps that's where you can start? We have kids over most Friday afternoons, and we create experiences for our kids to share with their friends.

Here are some of the informal things we have invite the kids' friends to (the other parents pay for their kids' admission):

*Monthly game night (for 10yo dd & 3-6 friends)

*Bowling

*Bonfires for roasting hotdogs & marshmallows

*Movies - in theatres & movie nights at home

*Public school sporting events

*Baking

*Swimming

*Biking/walking to town (we live 1.5miles out)

*Regular playdates at our house

I'll try to think of more....but we really put a lot of effort into creating fun experiences for our kids to share with their friends. Friendships are often based around shared experiences and face time, so we work hard on creating that environment for our kids. It's a lot of work, but it has been very rewarding.

I haven't found carting around littles to be a problem. Sure, it's an inconvenience, but kids in general are an inconvenience. :001_smile:

I totally agree.

As soon as someone else defines "cool" and you jump to do it, you're not cool. You're peer-dependent.

Paula's attitude is mine, as well. Too cool for school. I think it's cool to be counter-cultural, unless there is something typical we actually want to do, in which case we think it's cool that we do it.

Please don't misunderstand me. I am not trying to be "cool"because of whta this friend said, I know I am already cool by my own definition ;) But what she said did make me remember how I wanted my homeschool (and my kids') to be. I want them to still have the social experiences. I want them to have that one or two special friend from childhood that they want to spend every weekend with. Not that I will let them :) But I want them to have that chacne for those relationships in life. I don't mind getting out and about. I think it is good for kids... and moms. I am not doing this because of what she said, it just helped me remember what I wanted at one time.

Please don't misunderstand me. I am not trying to be "cool"because of whta this friend said, I know I am already cool by my own definition ;) But what she said did make me remember how I wanted my homeschool (and my kids') to be. I want them to still have the social experiences. I want them to have that one or two special friend from childhood that they want to spend every weekend with. Not that I will let them :) But I want them to have that chacne for those relationships in life. I don't mind getting out and about. I think it is good for kids... and moms. I am not doing this because of what she said, it just helped me remember what I wanted at one time.

I totally get it. Maybe that's because I'm cool, too :D.

Just wanted to throw another thought out there....dh & I often split up to take kids in different directions. Actually, one of us often stays home while the other one takes the kids to their activities/social events. Dh takes my older boys to wrestling meets and practices and I stay home with the others. I go with my daughters to dance class and basketball games.

The other moms & I also switch kids. So...if another mom is taking a couple of my olders to an event, I will often keep her youngers at my home. When my 10yo has her game nights, we take 10yo girls and may give the other families some of my youngers. Last week the public schools had two days off, and both days I hosted an extra 3 kids. Since we have many kids with a small age spread, it's usually pretty easy for any kid 10yo & under to just join in my fray.

HSing is very popular where I live and fairly accepted by the community. What I have noticed is "Are you in a co-op?" is the new "What about socialization?" The general public is a bit more educated on hsing and can use the lingo, but it's the same question in new clothes. ;)

HSing is very popular where I live and fairly accepted by the community. What I have noticed is "Are you in a co-op?" is the new "What about socialization?" The general public is a bit more educated on hsing and can use the lingo, but it's the same question in new clothes. ;)

Hilarious ~ I noticed the same thing yesterday! I was at a party and was asked this co-op question by multiple public schoolers. I found myself relieved to be able to say "yes." Harumph. :glare:

I have a tantrum throwing autistic 7 year old, a 40 pound linebacker of a 2 year old who likes to run off and get in trouble, and a tween. Hahahaha! If I can do some activities anyone can;). We do have to be creative in some ways. We do a lot of carschooling (We listen to sotw, language, and audiobook cd's. I also have a car bin for bringing along books, paper, pencils, etc for doing in between activities or to do with 1 kid while the other is doing their activity,) Our homeschool has a different structure and schedule every day, but the kids are thriving. As for costs, you would be amazed at how many scholarships are out their for low income families especially with sports. I have also heard of people bartering or trading for music and art lessons. We use a charter school for some great onsite classes with the school (our choice) and funds to pay for other activites.

:iagree: For us it was soccer. We always coached one team so we could match the schedule with my younger's team. BUT, my dh really wanted to coach. The other activity we chose is Taekwondo. Both boys now attend the same class. Our instructor is a no-contract business so we just pay a monthly fee (siblings are cheaper). We go twice a week.

I never fit in with co-ops or homeschool groups so I quit trying. It makes me a little sad that my friend who just moved back after being gone for 5 years has made so many friends as have her children, through Classical Conversation. Part of me really wishes we weren't such square pegs.

I have never heard of such a thing! BOY could we put $1600 per kid to good use!

I started my own Park Day Play Group on FB. Our covering school has a FB page so I invited all the HSers in my area to join the Park Page. We meet one afternoon a week and everyone really enjoys themselves. This has been my answer for my kids making friends. The best part is that it's not just random kids at the park so it allows them to build relationships. Plus, it's FREE!

Since I have been homeschooling kids for over 18 years, I will tell you what kind of activities my kids have participated in- but please note, I had three and all those years and none of them did all of these.

Boy Scouts

Girl Scouts

4H

Venture Scouts (all three kids at some time)

Explorer Scouts

soccer (all kids at some time)

Plays (all kids at some time)

music lessons (all kids at some time)

choirs (all kids at some time)

swimming

diving

shooting

sailing

debate

speech

Robotics

service group

youth groups, church based (all kids at some point)

gymnastics

dance

historical reinactment

co-ops and outside classes

art classes

I am probably missing some activities too but just a variety to show you what is out there. Oh, and I don't think we are 'cool' homeschoolers but we do get out a lot.

I totally get it. Maybe that's because I'm cool, too :D.

:lol:

Just wanted to throw another thought out there....dh & I often split up to take kids in different directions. Actually, one of us often stays home while the other one takes the kids to their activities/social events. Dh takes my older boys to wrestling meets and practices and I stay home with the others. I go with my daughters to dance class and basketball games.

The other moms & I also switch kids. So...if another mom is taking a couple of my olders to an event, I will often keep her youngers at my home. When my 10yo has her game nights, we take 10yo girls and may give the other families some of my youngers. Last week the public schools had two days off, and both days I hosted an extra 3 kids. Since we have many kids with a small age spread, it's usually pretty easy for any kid 10yo & under to just join in my fray.

Good advice!

Ahh, I see... I wondered how she knew the lingo.

Crazy! I wonder if all charters do this?

I started my own Park Day Play Group on FB. Our covering school has a FB page so I invited all the HSers in my area to join the Park Page. We meet one afternoon a week and everyone really enjoys themselves. This has been my answer for my kids making friends. The best part is that it's not just random kids at the park so it allows them to build relationships. Plus, it's FREE!
Another good idea!

My kids are involved in hockey with the YMCA, which is a nominal cost (and is waived for hardship). The coach has provided us with hand me down gear so we havent spent a lot there, thankfully. They also do group homeschool piano, which is 30 a month for one lesson a week. Not free, to be sure, but not expensive. We go to homeschool park days and such as often as we can fit in. Next week, my group is going to Busch Wildlife. We cant go, but the cost was I think 4 a person. We also do beach days where the kids basically run around and play.

For our family, being around other kids a few times a week is very important. My kids have a few friends each, some homeschooled and some not, and I like that they get invited to play dates and parties once in a while. It makes them feel part of a larger scene, kwim?

I know 4H is very cheap. Does your homeschool group have any get togethers you could go to?

We're those "cool" homeschoolers. It takes a lot of hunting to do it without breaking the bank.

- We do sports through our local YMCA. We're members so any sport is $35/season. It's a good, cheap way for the kids to discover what sports they might like. We've tried baseball, basketball, soccer, and kickball.

- Lily takes ballet and hip hop classes through a local studio. John is starting Kung Fu classes in a couple of months (he wants to take it with a friend, but his friend broke an arm and is still in a cast). Call studios and ask if they offer a discount for homeschoolers or for multiple classes. Lily gets a price break for taking 2 classes. John can take 1 day of Kung Fu for $60 or 5 days for $90. You never know unless you ask.

- Our city offers science classes for homeschoolers - $7/class. It's 1 class/month so both kids take science classes each month. Every place you go, ask if they have classes for homeschoolers, if they offer tours, etc. That's how I stumbled across the science classes.

- Looking through Yahoo, I found a couple of homeschool groups. One only organizes field trips for homeschoolers. The other sends out invites to things like park days. We joined and are active in both. We've toured planetariums, brick factories, ice cream production facilities, etc. as well as park days and skating days.

- Lily is also in Girl Scouts, which offers a TON of opportunities. It's $12/year to join and then you can do any field trip or any class that's listed on your council's website. And you can join a troop (which offers a slew of other opportunities). Lily is going on an overnight trip soon to a planetarium...for $35 dollars.

- Last, if you want to do something and it doesn't exist, create it! A friend and I are doing Classical Conversations together because we wanted to do CC, but couldn't afford it. So we decided to do CC "at home," but together.

Hope this helps!

How do I find out about this? Sounds great!

I'd just type your state's name plus charter school homeschooling into google and see what pops up. California has a ton, but I know some states don't have any.

Each charter school is independent, so if you have options you need to look at what different schools offer. Do you want outside classes? Do you just need help paying for extracurriculars? How much oversight do they require?

I'll just add in that while your kids are pretty young now, there will come a time when they need that outside interaction. I think you are wise for looking ahead. :grouphug:

Also, Chris's list is awesome, and I might pull some ideas from there myself! You could add Chess Club to it, my boys are on the chess team at a local elementary school. They practice after school once a week and have monthly tournaments.

It's pretty amazing! I have five children I'm homeschooling this year, and we can afford to do and buy things that we never could otherwise. I'd have to say that charter school opportunities are among the very few things California does well. There are four great options for homeschool charter schools just where I live, and it's a fairly small city.