Menu

I think my son proposed

We are meeting them got coffee this evening. He has been trying to get together again very soon after seeing them. It's unusual. His girlfriend also posted about being the happiest girl ever on Facebook.

I'm going to try really hard to look happy. I'm worried about him being young, about him not graduating, and about how hard marriage is.

Please don't slam me. :(

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:grouphug:

So hard when they don't choose as you would have them. "If you'd just do what I tell you, you'd feel much less pain in the future!!!"

Some learn the hard way. Hopefully, they encounter Grace that helps with the hard places. Growth is difficult, but we have to allow it. :grouphug::grouphug:

We are meeting them got coffee this evening. He has been trying to get together again very soon after seeing them. It's unusual. His girlfriend also posted about being the happiest girl ever on Facebook.

I'm going to try really hard to look happy. I'm worried about him being young, about him not graduating, and about how hard marriage is.

Its normal to worry! Marriage is hard :) But its entirely possible to get married young and have a successful marriage. After all, Im sure you raised him well.

P.S. I was 17 when I got married :) It was the first month of my senior year in high school. Yes it turned some heads, but I don't regret it for a second! We have had incredibly rough times, and Ive been through about 10x as much as people I know that are my age.. but I am incredibly blessed and happy in my marriage and with our two wonderful children.

Edited by BlessedMomma

I'd be worried too. :grouphug: BUT... I was 19yo when I married my dh, and not a very mature 19yo. My parents had never met my dh. I'd only known him a year. But they were supportive, never said a word against it, and 23 (happily married) years later I still look to them as the model of good parenting of adult children.

Of course you are worried, it is scary when kids do something you do not want them to do, but please be happy and supportive. Dh and I got married at 19, and to say my mom was not supportive is an understatement. We have been married 14 yrs., and we have had many trials that were out of our control and navigated through them just fine. We have grown up together in a sense, and in many ways that has been a benefit for us.

I absolutely understand that you're not thrilled, but it's time to bite your tongue and smile, smile, smile!! Don't betray for one second that your feelings are not pure joy. You'll be laying the foundation for hard times to come.

:grouphug: Yeah, I understand that you feel like you're looking at a disaster in the making.

My brother and his dw were 19 when they got married. My brother finished college, then a masters. Then his dw finished college. Then my brother attended law school at night and they had their 2 dc while he was in law school. I believe they've been married 29 years.

Now, if my ds told me he was getting married that young I'd have to seriously restrain myself.

It's OK to worry. But also know it can turn out well.

No slams, just :grouphug:.

Do try really hard to be happy, even if you have to fake it like crazy. If this is what they've decided, start it on the best foot possible with them. This will make it easier for them to trust your support (and I know you support and care for what is best for them), and when they hit the hard spots, maybe you'll be someone they'll turn to for guidance.

I know this is hard for you, Dawn. I hope for only the very best. Who knows? Maybe they'll really surprise you with some newfound maturity.

You're his mother. You're going to worry about the choices your kids make, regardless of what they are, b/c choices mean an element of risk.

No flame here :grouphug:

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

From what you've told us, Dawn, I would be just as concerned as you are. :grouphug:

Maybe you can make a good case for the value of a long engagement...

Thats not worse. Thats not awesome but its not worse.

In this case, I think it would definitely be worse. Dawn has said in the past that her ds has made immature decisions, and he is working at a low-wage job right now, so I definitely think adding a baby to the mix would be incredibly difficult.

It sounds like both he and the girlfriend have plenty of growing up to do, so it doesn't sound like either of them would be at all ready for parenthood.

In this case, I think it would definitely be worse. Dawn has said in the past that her ds has made immature decisions, and he is working at a low-wage job right now, so I definitely think adding a baby to the mix would be incredibly difficult.

It sounds like both he and the girlfriend have plenty of growing up to do, so it doesn't sound like either of them would be at all ready for parenthood.

I know right now it would be worse.

I hope Dawn its something like he got a great job and they can get a great apartment. Maybe its not as big as you fear?

DH and I got engaged at 21 and didn't marry until we were 26. So you never know. Plus I know you don't approve of how he's living his life and you wouldn't have been happy as my mom either but here I am married 11 years (next month)/together for 15 and in a strong marriage. It is possible. ;)

But I would let go of your worries and be happy for them. If you do the opposite then it will always be a stain on the memory of their engagement for them and maybe for you.

Perhaps if there is a wedding in the offing it will be the kick start he needs to finish his degree.

Hopefully his lady will send him back to college.

She did say she wouldn't let him not graduate. I just wish she wouldn't have to say that. There is nothing worse than feeling like you have to make your husband do things.

I will be nothing but nice to them about this, trust me.

I'm sure my own disappointments have something to do with my concerns, but I trust you ladies that marriage can be great. I haven't met many in real life that feel this way, so it is refreshing to hear. :)

She did say she wouldn't let him not graduate. I just wish she wouldn't have to say that. There is nothing worse than feeling like you have to make your husband do things.

I'm sure my own disappointments have something to do with my concerns, but I trust you ladies that marriage can be great. I haven't met many in real life that feel this way, so it is refreshing to hear. :)

Yes. It absolutely can be. It absolutely should be. :grouphug:

We married at 22/23 and are hitting 25 years this December. My husband was the best decision I ever made.

Oh, I hear ya there sister!

I know right now it would be worse.

I hope Dawn its something like he got a great job and they can get a great apartment. Maybe its not as big as you fear?

:iagree:

Or maybe he's going to announce that he's going to finish school! :001_smile:

OK, he's probably getting engaged, but Jpoy is right -- there are certainly other possibilities!

My dad dropped out of college. He proposed to my mom. She turned him down until he got his degree. Then he proposed again. They got married. They both went to grad school. My dad got a PhD in Economics. But it took my mom forcing the issue to get my dad to go back to school. They have been married 48 years, and are best friends and completely and totally in love.

But, I know I would be worried, too, if I were you. I will be thinking good thoughts for you.

It's normal to be concerned. Please try to fake it 'til you make it, otherwise they won't turn to you when life gets harder. I'm learning, albeit slowly, to do the same.

:iagree:Fake it..... you won't regret it later.

Maybe you can think about how much you and your in-laws to be are willing to help out your son and future DIL? Like future babysitting and groceries/diapers help.

My brother married at 27 and was unemployed a few times. My parents had to bail them out time to time with groceries eventhough he did not overspend.

I absolutely understand that you're not thrilled, but it's time to bite your tongue and smile, smile, smile!! Don't betray for one second that your feelings are not pure joy. You'll be laying the foundation for hard times to come.

:grouphug: Yeah, I understand that you feel like you're looking at a disaster in the making.

:iagree: My MIL once told me that she got the advice when her kids were hitting young adulthood, "Be nice to any girl/guy they bring around. It may be your future son/daughter-in-law." I think that is spot-on advice!

:grouphug: Good luck tonight.

No slams, just :grouphug:.

Do try really hard to be happy, even if you have to fake it like crazy. If this is what they've decided, start it on the best foot possible with them. This will make it easier for them to trust your support (and I know you support and care for what is best for them), and when they hit the hard spots, maybe you'll be someone they'll turn to for guidance.

I know this is hard for you, Dawn. I hope for only the very best. Who knows? Maybe they'll really surprise you with some newfound maturity.

:iagree: Beautifully said!

Yeah, and then there's also the part where it's MUCH easier to 'make' a guy do something if you can say "We'll get married after you do thus-and-such!" You can't really change a person, and you really can't make a person change after the wedding.

But here's hoping! :grouphug:

I also got married at 22, and 12 years later we are still going strong. :)

It's natural to worry about our children, though. I don't think that will ever stop. We need to let them make their own choices, though, especially at that age, and just support them. :) Be happy! This is a very good thing for them. ;)

:grouphug: Dawn. I know this may be difficult for you, but do try so hard to fake it. My in-laws did not when dh & I got engaged at 23. It took me years to forgive them for how they made both of us feel (almost 15 to be exact). They have since told us that dh's decision to marry me was the smartest thing he had ever done. The pain in the interim was not pleasant though.

Dh & I are rock-solid after 15 yrs of marriage, 20 together. Your son may find his marriage like that too, especially if he feels your support.

Well, I just read it for the first time and I already want an update... I was hoping there was one at the end!!

Dawn, I know that you'll bite your tongue and smile big. I know based on the circumstances, it may not be ideal. But hopefully, if a proposal is what's going on, it will be the impetus he needs to find some maturity. Thinking of you. :grouphug: We want to hear *all* the details. :)