Menu

Swedish School Eliminated Classrooms

It looks pretty, but how are the kids learning? I saw several laptops - is all the instruction on computers? I am very curious to know what type of curriculum they use and how the teachers fit into things. Do they just float around making sure everyone is doing something productive or do they provide direct instruction? If so, where do they do the instructing? :confused:

After doing my student teaching in a school with no classrooms, the noise level was horrendous! It still had classes, but all was very fluid. There were "pods" and the children moved between three or so of them, along with media center (library). It worked well for bright, curious children with very involved professional parents. I remember two boys that moved in because they were struggling in their traditional classrooms--it did not work well for them. Out of 25 or so kids in our pod, only two were reading at grade level--everyone else was way higher. All of the parents either were PhDs at CU Boulder or worked at NCAR. They would come in with fascinating things for the children to do. With that group of parents and children, pretty much anything we did was going to be successful. And then I worked at a school on "the other side of the tracks"...

Well, I have those kids and we are those parents, I guess, but it wouldn't work for us on a full time basis. We need PEACE and QUIET!

It might be fun for a day or two a week, though.

It looks pretty, but how are the kids learning? I saw several laptops - is all the instruction on computers? I am very curious to know what type of curriculum they use and how the teachers fit into things. Do they just float around making sure everyone is doing something productive or do they provide direct instruction? If so, where do they do the instructing? :confused:

You know...all that computer stuff gets really old. Yes, I get that this generation needs to be very tech-savvy, but they also need to develop relationships and interact with real people.

I am old school, I guess, but I don't see this massive benefit in all the schools moving to computer instruction and books on iPads, the way it is happening around here. I don't think anyone needs more screentime, but I think they do need more real world interaction.

I saw that, but it still doesn't explain what the teachers do. Are the teachers instructing at the group areas or is it all kid-led projects?

Um, your guess is as good as mine--- all I know is what you know: what was contained in that photo-heavy article.

Geez-- didn't mean for folks to get all cranky about it! Apologies!

:leaving:

astrid

Um, your guess is as good as mine--- all I know is what you know: what was contained in that photo-heavy article.

astrid

Sorry if I sounded cranky. I just want to understand how school works in a place like that. I wish they had given more information.

astrid

I can't speak for everyone, but I'm not cranky. :lol: I think it looks neat, I'm just really curious how it all fits together. I'd love if someone in the know posted a sample day. In the meantime, I enjoy the conjecture. :)

I did wonder about the whole "pod" thing that was such a failure here in the states. But in so many cases that tried to take traditional educational style and squeeze it into the open pods which was just a disaster.

I love all the Macs!

That school looks fun! Inspires me to add some idea furniture to our school room.

After doing my student teaching in a school with no classrooms, the noise level was horrendous! It still had classes, but all was very fluid. There were "pods" and the children moved between three or so of them, along with media center (library). It worked well for bright, curious children with very involved professional parents. I remember two boys that moved in because they were struggling in their traditional classrooms--it did not work well for them. Out of 25 or so kids in our pod, only two were reading at grade level--everyone else was way higher. All of the parents either were PhDs at CU Boulder or worked at NCAR. They would come in with fascinating things for the children to do. With that group of parents and children, pretty much anything we did was going to be successful. And then I worked at a school on "the other side of the tracks"...

I would love to hear more about the pods school Margaret, have you descrobed it in more detail in another post somewhere?

Looks like a fancier version of an Open Concept school from the 70's. The last one was just phased out here because the actual learning did not flow quite so nicely as it was supposed to. There are people though who do stand by the concept (no pun intended) and say that any deficits are due to improper teacher training.

I taught at an ungraded fairly fluid private school for gifted but we had walls and classrooms.

I think maybe we're applying our past experiences of traditional American schools to the open concept of this Swedish school. It's hard to imagine a different way of teaching and learning than what we're all familiar with, but I'd be willing to bet that it's very different in ways other than the furniture and walls.

astrid (my opinion only, ymmv)

The photos look like they are from a promotional photo session, not from an actual school day.

:iagree: There is one picture with about 20 white chairs up next to a long table. Potentially a classroom-sized group of kids there.

I, too, grew up in 4th & 5th grade in a noisy, open-classroom setting. There were 120 kids in my 4th grade and 3 teachers and 2 aides, in 5 large rooms.

HOWEVER, as a mom, all I could think of was the carpet getting soiled, gum stuck on the furniture, some kid getting sick, all the smudges on all that white furniture.

Carpet + a bunch of kids + White furniture = many cleaning challenges. :001_smile:

It just seems like an extremely expensive way to create learning environments for about 50 kids.

However, it should be a wonderful experience to be one of those 50 kids!:001_smile:

I think maybe we're applying our past experiences of traditional American schools to the open concept of this Swedish school. It's hard to imagine a different way of teaching and learning than what we're all familiar with, but I'd be willing to bet that it's very different in ways other than the furniture and walls.

astrid (my opinion only, ymmv)

No, I'm applying my past experience with nontraditional American open concept schools. They had a different teaching style and focus, and their advertisements would have read just like the Swedish school's one does. I'm not saying that it is identical in how it is played out, that I don't know.

I went to one of these schools in elementary school. The word "pod" wasn't there, but there were few classrooms and most instruction was individualized. We had a math cart and a reading cart. We worked together on projects for science and social studies. I could take my work and do it where ever I liked. If I finished, I could go read. I still hated school (because it wasn't home) but as schools go, it suited me very well. I do remember my mother talking about how it was great for our families but for some children, it didn't work because they didn't work if left to work independently or because they needed more help or because they got distracted easily in the open classrooms. I remember the teacher demonstrating some things, like how to do long division and how to write in cursive. The teachers were available to help if you got stuck. You had to wait your turn and you were expected to do something else (like read) while you were waiting. When I outgrew the reading cards, I had individual reading, which meant that I picked a book from the individual reading shelf, read it, wrote down 10 words I didn't know and looked them up and copied the definition. This was the hardest part because my vocabulary was fairly large and because I didn't see the words when I read and had to go back afterwards and try to find something to put down. Then I had to write out the answers to the questions on the piece of paper in the book (written by a teacher) and do a project (like a book report). And then I had to take it to the teacher and read aloud a page and discuss the book with her. I had a spelling book that I was supposed to be working through and got way behind in it one year because I hated it. The teacher said to do three lessons a day until I caught up. This cut down on my reading time but it was only a few days until I was caught up. I felt very guilty but obviously someone was watching to make sure I didn't get too far behind. The nice part was that I could go see my younger sister whenever I wanted. I switched to a regular classroom in 6th grade when we moved and the adjustment was horrible. I never did really adjust. I suspect that in the Swedish school, the skills are taught in an individualized way and the content (history and science) are done in small groups. I think it would work fine, given the right group of children.

Nan

No, I'm applying my past experience with nontraditional American open concept schools. They had a different teaching style and focus, and their advertisements would have read just like the Swedish school's one does. I'm not saying that it is identical in how it is played out, that I don't know.

Okay, sorry. My point is that no, this arrangement would probably not work in today's American public schools, populated by American students who have only known traditional American schools.

astrid

Everything seems rather sterile.

I don't think the pictures are of an operational school. I think it's not open yet, and those kids are models. There just isn't enough stuff for it to be a real school with real things going on. There aren't any half-finished projects or stacks of papers or kids' artwork on the walls or sweaters and lunchboxes or...

Even in a regular German elementary school, kids do not wear their outside shoes. They have house slippers at the school and change shoes before entering the classrooms.

That's wonderful! I had a podiatrist once that said wearing tennis shoes all day long was VERY bad for growing feet. They end up growing molded to the shape of the shoe and that causes back and knee problems for the kids who didn't have high quality, well made shoes. He was all for bare feet and generic, wide, soft-sided slippers.

Faith

My question has nothing to do with the classrooms (although I do think my kids would love it). Apparently the school is run by a private company? Do they have government run schools in Sweden or are they all run privately?

ETA: Found my answer. They have had a voucher system since 1992. The things you learn!

Edited by TXMomof4

You know...all that computer stuff gets really old. Yes, I get that this generation needs to be very tech-savvy, but they also need to develop relationships and interact with real people.

I am old school, I guess, but I don't see this massive benefit in all the schools moving to computer instruction and books on iPads, the way it is happening around here. I don't think anyone needs more screentime, but I think they do need more real world interaction.

we're using K12 this year and I really MISS using paper, pencils books etc. IT's a pain to be tied to a desk for most of the day.