Menu

If you could spend 6 months travelling...

Tonight I'd be in San Diego, to hug Navy girl before she deploys tomorrow. She just texted saying she wasn't going to call, because she just couldn't. So, tonight, that's where I'd travel.

Awwwww. :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

To answer the OP, I don't really know. I'd probably dedicate much of the time to the East Coast, then I'd like to drive Route 66 and then head up to explore the West Coast of OR and WA.

We've spent a couple of months seeing National Parks (and some State Parks) in the west and didn't have nearly enough time, so I'd probably use the whole time visiting those we haven't seen and re-visiting those we loved. There probably still wouldn't be enough time...

There's incredible variety in the National Parks - everything from the Smithsonian in DC to Ft Jefferson in the Dry Tortugas (off Key West, FL) to the mighty Yellowstone. State parks add a whole lot more. Adirondack State Park (NY) is larger than any National Park in the lower 48 states...

National Parks, especially those in the west and New England states and historical sites, Irish pubs with sessions (for my kids) and Celtic festivals. Not big on shopping but would like to try local cuisine and love to talk to locals to find "off the beaten path" kinds of places that aren't in the tourist books.

national parks, state parks, Niagra Falls because dh has never been and I was only there once as a little kid, I would try to visit friends and family that are scattered across the country, Alaska (at least a month to drive there and drive around the state and come back and I don't know that it would be enough time)

I have traveled a lot in the US including Alaska. There are lots of places I would love to go back to and spend a few days and I would want to travel with kayaks and a bigger boat of some sort. Maybe a pontoon, but maybe something else.

ETA: you could also hike the Apalacian (sp?) Trail all the way through, but that usually only takes about 3 months.

Where are you now and what have you seen so far?

I'd make sure we went to Mesa Verde because I have a child obsessed with Native American (and pre-European-contact in general) cultures.

I haven't seen the Grand Canyon, Yellowstone, or Yosemite, so I'd add all of those.

There are a lot of states I haven't visited yet, but ones I'm especially curious about Michigan, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Tennessee, South Carolina, Colorado, and New Mexico.

We've taken trips throughout New England, New York, Pennsylvania, DC, and Virginia (although I would like to get to mountains there), so those would be lower priority for us.

As far as the types of places, we tend to like a mix of historical, cultural, and natural sites.

Dh wants to tour the national baseball fields, major amusement parks, microbreweries, and places of historical or unique architectural interest.

I'd like to visit cathedrals and shines, especially those for our own saints. Some wineries maybe. Both oceans. The Rockies and maybe travel the Mississippi.

Maybe route 66?

I'd take ds to all the National Parks I visited as a kid which was basically everything west of MO except northern California, Oregon, Washington, and Idaho. We usually had two weeks and there are limits on how far you could tow that pop-up.

After that I'd spend time in the PNW to cross more states off my list, then head to the east coast to cross off the rest. I'd like to spend some time in Boston doing genealogy research, then spend some time on the beaches of North Carolina.

I'd go to Ibbygirl's house.

But I had a dream the other week we were road tripping the US and I got a traffic fine crossing the border into Nebraska. If anyone would like to tell me why I want to go to Nebraska, I'd be interested.

:)

Rosie

You would love to come to Nebraska because I live here! Nebraska is actually quite pretty if you stay off the interstate. Nice rolling farmland to the east. The lovely Sandhills in the north-central part of the state. Sandhill cranes along the Platte river during springtime. Chimney Rock in the west. You can follow the route of the Oregon trail and even find old wagon tracks. The Niobrara river in the north has excellent tubing. Let's not forget the corn.;)

Tonight I'd be in San Diego, to hug Navy girl before she deploys tomorrow. She just texted saying she wasn't going to call, because she just couldn't. So, tonight, that's where I'd travel.

:grouphug: I feel for you. I hated going to the pier when my dh pulled out. I always cried like a blubbering idiot. Give her a call tonight, cry like a baby later, then show up at the pier when she comes home.:grouphug:

If I had 6 whole months to travel, I would hit every national park I could. We are taking 10 days to travel to and visit the Grand Canyon and a few surrounding parks. If we had more time, I would stop at every historical marker I found.

I know where I'd go! But it's based on where I've been and haven't been,so I guess it's personal preference.

Anyhow, I'd start in Maine and watch the sunrise at Cadillac Mtn. I'd spend a week in Boston. I'd skip everything south of that because we've been living here and traveling a lot.

I'd go to Chicago because I've never been there. Then I'd head west, see Mt. Rushmore and northern Idaho, then spend time traveling down the Washington and Oregon coasts. I'd spend time in San Fransisco and take my time traveling down the CA coast, visiting my family.

I'd spend a week in San Diego, then head up to Utah to visit the rest of my family. I'd spend at Least a week in Zion NP. Then I'd go through Colorado, spending time in the mountains. I'd head south from there and go through Texas to New Orleans. Then I'd love to spend at least a month traveling through the south all the way to Savannah, GA.

Then I'd head north, spending time in Raleigh just because I love it, and I'd finish with a week in the Outer Banks.

Along the way we'd see all the historical sites possible and a few museums. I'd also try to schedule a break every few weeks where we pick a beautiful destination and just stay and rest at the hotel or campsite. I know from experience and I need breaks during our travels.

I'd also download some aps on the iPad for my girls to practice math, and I'd have them keep a journal. Other than that, I'd do NO school.

Oooooh. Now I want to do this!

I'd also download some aps on the iPad for my girls to practice math, and I'd have them keep a journal. Other than that, I'd do NO school.

Oooooh. Now I want to do this!

This was my thought too!

I have always lived in the west. I'm an hour from Yellowstone where we spend at least 1 day every month just hanging out there. So Yellowstone is a very low priority for us.

I think we would head west to Portland (our favorite city so far), hit the coast at Seaside then head down 101 straight through California. We want to the see the Sequoias so a trip there would be in order. We would hit amusement parks and beaches while in California. Then I think we would shoot across the southwest and head to Georgia. We would spend sometime on Civil War history while in the south and maybe go to Everglades National Park. Then up the coast where we would spend a couple weeks soaking in the history of D.C., Philadelphia, and Boston areas.

I think we would play in Northern Maine for a while just to relax. I would want to hit MN,MI,OH,IL,VA,WV,TN and KY at some point. I'd have to figure that route out.

Then I am sorry to say Rosie, I would drive right on through Nebraska without feeling any guilt until I got to CO. :D We'd visit family, hike, and enjoy being back on familiar ground.

This has the possibility to actually happen for us. I spent a couple hours researching last night which just sparked my interests even more. There are so many interesting places and things to be seen, 6 months would barely touch the surface of my list.

PS I think I would devote 6 months just to an Alaskan adventure. My pinterest board is filling up with all thins Alaska. It's calling to me.

But I had a dream the other week we were road tripping the US and I got a traffic fine crossing the border into Nebraska. If anyone would like to tell me why I want to go to Nebraska, I'd be interested.
Nebraska is actually quite beautiful. I think it looks more like the "heartland" of the US than any other midwestern state.

Also, they have sandhill cranes, which I think are amazing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grus_canadensis_tabida

I have always been amazed at the variety of bird species in Nebraska. Two springs ago, we were driving through the back roads of SE Nebraska when the red-wing blackbirds were very active. (Not sure if they were migrating or nesting?) They were spectacular to watch.

So.. Six months traveling...

I would visit the headwaters of the Mississippi River. (I was there 26 years ago and loved it!) Then head over to the Great Lakes and drive around them, crossing over into Canada when possible and taking a ferry a few times. I would then head to Niagara Falls, then over to Maine so take in their coastline. Down to NYC for a few days, then DC and Boston. On down the east coast to Georgia - take a train ride through the Blue Ridge Mountains, visit Tybee Island. I would hike part of the AT.

I would then fly to Washington and drive down the west coast. Probably work inward from there to see some of the National Parks.

I have always been fascinated with the idea of taking a paddle boat cruise down part of the Mississippi, so would try to do that. I would also love to take a cruise along Maine and Alaska's coast.

We have taken several scenic train rides and loved them, so I would probably try to pick areas with train rides. The one through the Royal Gorge is fabulous, as is the one in Boone, Iowa. (Would time it to do the Boone ride in the fall, to see the bright fall foliage.)

I think Missouri has amazing state parks, so would probably camp through that state for a month. I think it would be neat to take a literary tour of America - such as Mark Twain's birthplace, headwaters of Mississippi River for Minn of the Mississippi book, etc.

This was my thought too!

I have always lived in the west. I'm an hour from Yellowstone where we spend at least 1 day every month just hanging out there. So Yellowstone is a very low priority for us.

I think we would head west to Portland (our favorite city so far), hit the coast at Seaside then head down 101 straight through California. We want to the see the Sequoias so a trip there would be in order. We would hit amusement parks and beaches while in California. Then I think we would shoot across the southwest and head to Georgia. We would spend sometime on Civil War history while in the south and maybe go to Everglades National Park. Then up the coast where we would spend a couple weeks soaking in the history of D.C., Philadelphia, and Boston areas.

I think we would play in Northern Maine for a while just to relax. I would want to hit MN,MI,OH,IL,VA,WV,TN and KY at some point. I'd have to figure that route out.

Then I am sorry to say Rosie, I would drive right on through Nebraska without feeling any guilt until I got to CO. :D We'd visit family, hike, and enjoy being back on familiar ground.

This has the possibility to actually happen for us. I spent a couple hours researching last night which just sparked my interests even more. There are so many interesting places and things to be seen, 6 months would barely touch the surface of my list.

PS I think I would devote 6 months just to an Alaskan adventure. My pinterest board is filling up with all thins Alaska. It's calling to me.

We were in Alaska for 1 1/2 years and traveled in all of our free time and still didn't come close to doing everything that we wanted to. It is just so incredible up there. If you get to go and want some advice PM me.

I'd definitely want to spend some time in Washington, D.C., Boston, and New York City going to museums and historic sites. Like a few weeks at least. I've been pretty lucky to have visited many western US national and state parks, which is why the East Coast would be high on my list.

You would love to come to Nebraska because I live here! Nebraska is actually quite pretty if you stay off the interstate. Nice rolling farmland to the east. The lovely Sandhills in the north-central part of the state. Sandhill cranes along the Platte river during springtime. Chimney Rock in the west. You can follow the route of the Oregon trail and even find old wagon tracks. The Niobrara river in the north has excellent tubing. Let's not forget the corn.;)

Thanks! Sounds nice. :) I'll pass your message onto my subconscious. :lol:

Rosie

well, i love san fransico. i would visit there again in a heartbeat. i've never been to NYC. i would love to do all of the cheesy touristy things there and even see a broadway show. lastly, i've always wanted to go to new england. i would love to slowly work my way through all that new england has to offer - the sites, food, history. oh, i would love that.

Probably tour all the national parks and hit a few historical sites on the way. Haven't been to Yellowstone yet or Glacier or anything on the West Coast. Would want to do a bit of climbing at Joshua Tree and Red Rocks. I'd love to visit friends who have moved far away and are not on the way to anything we would like to visit. It's hard to drive 15 hours to see someone for about a day, ya know. This plan would appeal to all of us except ds16. Unless would could add in a few metal concerts along the way or a rock band camp somewhere, I am not sure what would be in this for him as he is really not a back to nature kind of guy. He is working on that metal band pallor - pretty hard to do when you are a lifeguard:).

I'd go to Ibbygirl's house.

Rosie

Because it is the flattest place on earth? Also, there is a candy shop in North Platte that carries Thornton toffee and that's worth a trip right there.

My first priority would be to get to NEBRASKA!!! Yes, Rosie. Nebraska is a wonderful place:o)

Now what I would mainly do there is visit with some of the wonderful people. Great people in NE, gals!

I would eat at Runza and Valentinos and Goodrich Dairy.

You might like to see some things....

Along I-80

Kearney - Fort Kearny (yes, they are spelled differently:o) An old historical fort. There's also Morris Cookbook Publishing that has an outlet store with $2 cookbooks.

There's an archway over the interstate west of Kearney that has a museum in it and is interesting. I forgot what it's called. It had a McDonald’s in it.

Grand Island - Stuhr Museum of the Prairie Pioneer. This is a FABULOUS pioneer museum with a recreated town, etc. GI has a city waterpark that is quite inexpensive for a waterpark. Island Oasis Water Park. http://www.grand-island.com/oasis/

Mahoney State Park - FUN, FUN, Fun... All sorts of accomodations and activities… .... waterpark, horse rides, crafts, peddle boats, melodramas, and much, much more! Nearby is Strategic Air Command Museum. It's full of great displays on flight and space, including some full-size fighter planes.

Lincoln - Home of the Nebraska Cornhuskers!

Omaha - Fabulous Henry Doorly Zoo. Fontenelle Forest. Lots more.

Or off the beaten track-- lots of great pioneer and historical places.... You can get an audio and travel from place to place. Homestead National Monument near Beatrice is one neat spot to visit.

There's Buffalo Bill's ranch. The Niobrara River (canoeing or tubing). Tour a farm!

There are just so many beautiful prairie scenes and such rich historical places that you wouldn't even need to do the touristy or shopping things. (But definitely buy a Runza!;o)

My first priority would be to get to NEBRASKA!!! Yes, Rosie. Nebraska is a wonderful place:o)

Now what I would mainly do there is visit with some of the wonderful people. Great people in NE, gals!

Along I-80

Kearney - Fort Kearny (yes, they are spelled differently:o) An old historical fort. There's also Morris Cookbook Publishing that has an outlet store with $2 cookbooks.

There's an archway over the interstate west of Kearney that has a museum in it and is interesting. I forgot what it's called. It had a McDonald’s in it.

Grand Island - Stuhr Museum of the Prairie Pioneer. This is a FABULOUS pioneer museum with a recreated town, etc. GI has a city waterpark that is quite inexpensive for a waterpark. Island Oasis Water Park. http://www.grand-island.com/oasis/

Mahoney State Park - FUN, FUN, Fun... All sorts of accomodations and activities… .... waterpark, horse rides, crafts, peddle boats, melodramas, and much, much more! Nearby is Strategic Air Command Museum. It's full of great displays on flight and space, including some full-size fighter planes.

Or off the beaten track-- lots of great pioneer and historical places.... You can get an audio and travel from place to place. Homestead National Monument near Beatrice is one neat spot to visit.

There's Buffalo Bill's ranch. The Niobrara River (canoeing or tubing). Tour a farm!

There are just so many beautiful prairie scenes and such rich historical places that you wouldn't even need to do the touristy or shopping things. (But definitely buy a Runza!;o)

Woohoo! Way to represent! Runza alone is worth the trip to Nebraska. And I agree with your statement that NE people (ahem, me) are cool.

I would close my eyes flip a coin and wherever the coin landed is where I would go. Sometimes its not the destination we remember but the Journey I always see people in these big rushes to get to A B and C and not enjoying everything around them. Yes I loved visiting Yellowstone but I will never forget driving through a blizzard to get there and having to turn on the generator to power or heaters since my dads window was freezing over with thick Ice it was so cold. :001_smile: At the time we were terrified but it makes for some good stories now :lol:

I don't even know, but I'm loving hearing what everyone else would do!

I've been many places in the continental US, but the kids haven't. So that's where I get stuck - what places would top the list to take the kids? :)

On our first major western trip (only 1 month long) we let each member of our family pick a destination and connected the dots - visiting a few nearby places in the process. The "chosen" places were:

Mt Rushmore

Grand Teton NP

Sequoia and Redwood trees (did Redwood and Sequoia NPs)

Grand Canyon

Four Corners

Our kids were 12, 10, and 9 at the time. We ended up visiting 31 places and I had them rank their favorites independently when we were finished with the trip. I recall Badlands NP ranking very highly with most of us and Mt Rushmore ranking really low... Bryce NP also ranked high and the Grand Canyon rather low. One doesn't know until one gets there exactly what will be "the best."

The whole trip was priceless and provided terrific memories. Oldest brought his fiancee home a couple of months ago and one of the first things he pulled out was the scrapbooks I made of that trip. The trip also led to other longer trips out west and elsewhere later. I wish I'd made scrapbooks of those trips too in hindsight, but our trips became relatively common so we stuck with pictures and memories.

So, I suppose this all boils down to:

How about making it a family trip and letting the whole family contribute in where to go/what to do and see what else is nearby when you're connecting dots? It worked for us. ;) It gave everyone a stake in the trip and something they were proud of when there.

Because it is the flattest place on earth?

*shrug* I've been across the Nullabour.

Also, there is a candy shop in North Platte that carries Thornton toffee and that's worth a trip right there.

Along I-80

Ahh. Food. Now you've caught me. :D

I should like to see your museums. I had friends who visited the US and that's what they raved about.

Rosie

I'd visit Parrothead, Mariannova, and Creekland. I'd want to hit Yellowstone (again), Glacier National Park, Grand Canyon, Hoover Dam, the Alamo, visit relatives in Missouri, Mt. Rushmore, go on one of those two day dino-digs in the Badlands, visit my cousin in Duluth, Indendence Hall in Philly, The Metropolitan Museum of Art, take in another Broadway show, spend some time at a particular ski lodge in Vermont (oh the memories - wait, those kinds of memories aren't the kind that can be shared with the children along....OH NUTS!!!), romp around the coastline of Maine after visiting Parrothead - love the Boothbay area or at least I did when I was a kid, maybe it's changed a lot - Boston, many, many things in Boston, Plimoth Plantation, and Gettysburg after visiting Creekland and then meander my way back home to Michigan.

I left out D.C., Mackinaw, Isle Royale National Park, the sites in Chicago, etc. because we've already been there. So, if you've never visited those, then by all means try to make time.

I also left off a great deal of the south because we traveled through those areas A LOT.

Faith

I'd visit Parrothead, Mariannova, and Creekland. I'd want to hit Yellowstone (again), Glacier National Park, Grand Canyon, Hoover Dam, the Alamo, visit relatives in Missouri, Mt. Rushmore, go on one of those two day dino-digs in the Badlands, visit my cousin in Duluth, Indendence Hall in Philly, The Metropolitan Museum of Art, take in another Broadway show, spend some time at a particular ski lodge in Vermont (oh the memories - wait, those kinds of memories aren't the kind that can be shared with the children along....OH NUTS!!!), romp around the coastline of Maine after visiting Parrothead - love the Boothbay area or at least I did when I was a kid, maybe it's changed a lot - Boston, many, many things in Boston, Plimoth Plantation, and Gettysburg after visiting Creekland and then meander my way back home to Michigan.

I left out D.C., Mackinaw, Isle Royale National Park, the sites in Chicago, etc. because we've already been there. So, if you've never visited those, then by all means try to make time.

I also left off a great deal of the south because we traveled through those areas A LOT.

Faith

Maybe we could make this a WTM roadtrip? That would be awesome... Since we're currently paying our share for two in college with one more to leave someone will have to work out the funding though. ;)

I'd love to revisit MI and have you show us around!

Maybe we could make this a WTM roadtrip? That would be awesome... Since we're currently paying our share for two in college with one more to leave someone will have to work out the funding though. ;)

I'd love to revisit MI and have you show us around!

We could do a Round Robin and travel together and go from place to place. I once had a family of fourteen stay with us. It was fun!

Wouldn't that be quite a homeschooling year to travel with your own coop group and have round-the-country field trips?!

Along I-80

Woohoo! Way to represent! Runza alone is worth the trip to Nebraska. And I agree with your statement that NE people (ahem, me) are cool.

Okay you both convinced me to give NE another look. :D I was thinking last night about all the pioneer stuff. I had a lot of ancestors who crossed the plains with many dying and giving birth along the North Platte River. That could be cool to check out.

How about making it a family trip and letting the whole family contribute in where to go/what to do and see what else is nearby when you're connecting dots? It worked for us. ;) It gave everyone a stake in the trip and something they were proud of when there.

Our plan is to make it a family trip. DD9 wants to check out all the horse rescues in the country. :) I do have Assateague Island National Seashore on the list which I'm told has a lot of wild horses? I haven't looked it up yet.

DS wants to check out the birds of prey sites along with the Suncoast Seabird Sanctuary in Florida. Florida wasn't on my list but hey if it makes him happy.

We talked about the "grand plan" last night. We've decided to leave off the west coast until later. Both dh and I have lived there or traveled extensively. We thought we'd wait till the little girls are a bit older then enjoy things like Sea World, Disneyland, etc.

Our plan at this point is to leave in February so we will head south first. I would rather check out Arizona, NM, and TX in February than June. :)

Our plan is to make it a family trip. DD9 wants to check out all the horse rescues in the country. :) I do have Assateague Island National Seashore on the list which I'm told has a lot of wild horses? I haven't looked it up yet.

DS wants to check out the birds of prey sites along with the Suncoast Seabird Sanctuary in Florida. Florida wasn't on my list but hey if it makes him happy.

We talked about the "grand plan" last night. We've decided to leave off the west coast until later. Both dh and I have lived there or traveled extensively. We thought we'd wait till the little girls are a bit older then enjoy things like Sea World, Disneyland, etc.

Our plan at this point is to leave in February so we will head south first. I would rather check out Arizona, NM, and TX in February than June. :)

It sounds fun! There are more Bird Sanctuaries than just that one too... and while not a rescue, KY has a large horse park showcasing various breeds and things.

I wish we were traveling as a family again, but now two of my "little" guys are in college and the third is a junior in high school. We don't have the funds for travel - except for college trips or trips to see family. I'm REALLY glad we did all the trips we did back when my guys were still young and as they grew up. It's really helped them learn more than book learning for many subjects.

Enjoy!