Menu

the 3rd isn't soon enough

Opps...mix all ingredients, heat oil in skillet, make small balls of dough, flatten gently and fry. Flip over and fry on opposite side. They make great tortillas, fluffy and more filling. They are high in fat so not an every day food but came about because of the commodity foods provided to those living on reservations.

Thank you:001_smile:

If you have any DVDs lying around, you could take them to a local pawn shop and get a few bucks. Ditto with gold jewelry. With the price of gold right now, if you do have any jewelry you don't wear, you'd probably get a decent amount for it. I've also had success selling nicer books at local used book stores.

Another thing you could try is to find your local Freecycle group and put out a request for pantry staples. I know I'd be happy to donate some of the stuff I have in my pantry to someone who was running a little short. I can't be the only one who has more canned green beans that I could use in a lifetime. :tongue_smilie:

If you have any DVDs lying around, you could take them to a local pawn shop and get a few bucks. Ditto with gold jewelry. With the price of gold right now, if you do have any jewelry you don't wear, you'd probably get a decent amount for it. I've also had success selling nicer books at local used book stores.

Another thing you could try is to find your local Freecycle group and put out a request for pantry staples. I know I'd be happy to donate some of the stuff I have in my pantry to someone who was running a little short. I can't be the only one who has more canned green beans that I could use in a lifetime. :tongue_smilie:

I was going to suggest this, too. I have seen people in this situation asking for some pantry items. :grouphug: If I knew someone needed some of my extras, I would be happy to help.

Please call WIC. They are to help.

I would also look for spare change. You never know.

Look into second harvest or another organization that collects fresh farm goods from local gardens. People love to donate their beautiful veggies and boy, they sure are yummy.

:grouphug:

I'm not proud of myself. We're on food stamps. We have one week until we get them again.

I'm stressing as we have $2.60 in stamps (even though it's on a card) and $2.60 in cash. I already know that $2.50 has to be used for milk. Probably all of it will go for milk.

We won't starve but I need ideas/advice to stretch what we do have. We have some chicken tenderloins but not many. Lots of par-boiled rice. A small lean roast that is destined for beef and noodles. I also have a decently stocked spice cabinet and baking supplies but no eggs. I also have some jiffy baking mix, possibly enough for one go of biscuits or pancakes (2 or 3 cups). Also have 2 pounds mild bulk sausage and 2 pounds of hot bulk sausage. Frozen peas and carrots as well as frozen mixed veg.

Help!

I just wanted to let you know that our family has been in similar situations, and we know how you feel. It is such a vulnerable feeling, and little things like running out of toilet paper three days before payday can feel like the end of the world when you don't have resources to fall back on. Just hang on, and you will get through it. A lot of ideas have already been shared, but here are a few suggestions:

I agree that I would buy a smaller amount of milk and stretch it, and buy eggs to make pancakes, waffles, etc for breakfasts. Maybe make a from scratch chicken pot pie with the chicken, peas, carrots, and some boullion cubes or chicken broth if you have it. A casserole of rice and mild sausage, maybe make a double portion since you have a lot of both and have that twice during the week. Use half of the roast for beef and noodles, and the other half for a stir fry with the mixed veggies and rice. If you have any beans or could buy one bag of dried beans, red beans and rice with sausage is delicious and filling. Whenever possible save some of the meal for the next day's lunches, even if it's only enough for one or two of you.

I would make bread, and have pbj for lunches, (maybe buy a small jar of pb?) or grilled cheese if you have cheese.

That's all that I can think of right now, but I wish you all the best as you navigate this tricky time! :grouphug:

Personally, I would forego the milk, drink water and buy some eggs. But I have to admit that we don't drink milk in our house, and never have.

:iagree: Even your youngest at 2 would be ok for a wk.

Another thing you might consider is if there is a food bank in the area that you can get a few things like potatoes, milk, pastas, sauces, beans. Cooking up some beans and using some of the sausage you could make a really yummy chili.

Praying for you.

Baking supplies: yeast, white flour, wheat flour, bread flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, pepper, cornmeal.

I used to make Artisan Bread in Five all the time. It's a very versatile dough--we actually liked it best cooked in muffin tins, but if you don't want to waste ingredients, it's probably best not to experiment yet. The basic recipe is here: http://www.artisanbreadinfive.com/2010/02/09/back-to-basics-tips-and-techniques-to-create-a-great-loaf-in-5-minutes-a-day

I usually halved the recipe when I made it.

Don't forget the odd backs to gold earrings will definately add to the weight and bring in more. I was surprised at how much they actually weighed. Silver is selling right now as well, but not for nearly as much.

Our town also has local buy/sell/trade groups. Ask if anyone is selling eggs. When I have too many from our chickens, I will trade them 1-2 cartons per dozen. Or sell them really cheap.

Also, sometimes powdered milk is cheaper by the ounce. I would compare prices and see which is best for you.

:iagree: Even your youngest at 2 would be ok for a wk.

Another thing you might consider is if there is a food bank in the area that you can get a few things like potatoes, milk, pastas, sauces, beans. Cooking up some beans and using some of the sausage you could make a really yummy chili.

Praying for you.

:iagree: Any school curricula you can sell that you don't need anymore? (Or won't need this year?) There has to be some sort of emergency food pantry? Unless they have visit limits that you have used for the time period. Have you looked into churches? I know some have food banks. Hang in there! I said a prayer.

Most baked goods can be made w/ water instead of milk, even if the recipe calls for milk, so if you have plenty of your flours/yeast/etc, you can make biscuits, bread, etc.

Is there a food pantry nearby that you can seek food from? Or churches to call? Most churches have a system to provide emergency assistance to folks. If my kids were hungry, and my pantry bare, I would call for help.

I am really sorry you are going through this!

I love potatoes but the cheapest bag here is $3. Half gallons are on sale for $1.25 and eggs are 1.69 for medium and 1.98 for large. I can't wait for tomorrow! The food shelf will be open and I can walk there.

:grouphug: I've been thinking about you today. I hope you can get some things there!

With your cornmeal you could make hoe cakes. Take a cup or two of cornmeal, add salt to taste, then water to make it a paste. Shape into patties and fry in a little oil. My kids LOVE them and they are cheap and filling. Put a little butter on them!

Edited by cdrumm4448

Can you ask friends or neighbors for help? If someone I knew said to me, "It's been a tough month, and we're running out of food," I wouldn't hesitate to give them some food or money.

Tara

:iagree: with this too. If someone said they needed some milk and other things, I would offer to take them to the store or pick some stuff up for them.

More votes for calling WIC. Here, WIC gives produce vouchers in addition to the milk, bread, peanut butter, etc.

Do you have a farmer's market? Here, several of them will double the amount you buy with a food stamp card. You might also go toward the end of the day and see if any of the farmers are interested in making deals with you. Sometimes they'll knock the price down a lot just so that they don't have to cart it all home. Sometimes I've also gotten seconds of things like peaches or apples; in exchange for a great deal, I'll cut out a few bad spots.

Sorry you're not closer; I'd happily bring you a meal or some staples. :grouphug:

Yes please check with WIC or area churches. Our church just asks you bring in something to show you live in the area (water bill, elec bill etc).

Do you have a friend that would help you either by sharing or by making a couple calls? I have gotten a call from a friend saying "hey someone is in need can you help?" She never tells a name (I don't need to know) just asks for help.

Praying you get some help.

I should have specified that I was thinking you could buy a couple of potatoes rather than a bag, just to get you through.

The beans are a really good idea. If you like split pea soup, it is really good with just a bit of diced potato and bits of sausage.

I hope you have been able to figure something out.

:grouphug: My stomach hurts reading this because we have been there (and may soon be again). One time when dh was unemployed our church bought us groceries. I remember scouring the house for any loose change just to be able to buy some dried beans or a pound of meat. If you can get WIC to supplement the food stamps, please do it. The milk and cheese and eggs my two (at that time) children got was enough them plus my dh and I.

This doesn't help now, but are you able to garden? I know you are heading into fall but a cold frame could provide you with fresh lettuce and a few other cold weather vegetables for a couple of months at least (spinach, potatoes, radishes, peas). We have supplemented our food budget many times through gardening. Being the end of summer, you could probably find seeds at half off. I built my own cold frames from old windows and scraps of wood we had lying around. Is there any wild fruit that grows where you are? When we lived in Oregon we picked bags and bags of wild blackberries every fall. Check around for any gleaner opportunities in your area. I know the drought has hit midwest farmers pretty hard though.

I hope you were able to find something today to get you through until the 3rd!

Is there any chance that the food stamps will be early because of the Labor Day holiday?

It doesnt work that way. They give you a specific load date and it doesnt change. It goes by the last digit of your case #. For example if the last digit of her case number is 2, her stamps would load on the 3rd every month no matter what.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

They have changed WIC. I would call them and they can set you up and appointment. It goes til age 5. They give you milk, eggs, cheese, PB, bread, cereal, juice, fruit, veggies, etc now. Its not like it use to be.

I would check out a food pantry or two.

Also, next month when you get your stamps- try to meal plan, that way you really can make your stamps stretch. Stock up on the things that can make it all stretch too. You can make a lot more cookies if you buy the baking ingredients vs buying pre-packaged. AND you can use the ingredients for other things too, thus doubling the uses! (IE: Flour, sugar, etc)

I'm already starting on a list that includes eggs, tortillas, salsa, shredded cheese, black beans, 3 jars of pb (2 creamy, 1 crunchy), rice, sugar, mayo, tomato paste (in a tube) and ground beef. I might be able to take the ground beef off as I heard my in-laws might be getting another cow or 1/2 cow. They divide it between 4 households but it's still a lot of meat and pasture-fed. Soooo good! :drool5:

I figured on going to the local food service place or sam's with a friend and buying in bulk as much as possible.

Personally, I would forego the milk, drink water and buy some eggs. But I have to admit that we don't drink milk in our house, and never have.

:iagree: eggs fill up growing bodies faster and for longer.

You could make some jambalaya! It's easy and keeps well for left overs.

Menu plan! It's a life saver at stretching food for us. That way I know what to use for what. Also, when you have odds and ends in the pantry, google those ingredients and see what recipes come up. Thank you Jesus for the Internet! We have gotten some great new dishes doing that over the years. Or sometimes it jogs a memory of something we haven't had in a long time.

Just seeing this...

Check out the ethnic grocers too, for cash purchases. They often have better prices. I live in a high cost of living area but the local Mexican tortilla place sells 60 corn tortillas for $1.39. Their beef is also a dollar cheaper per pound and they sell 25 and 50 lb bags of pinto beans. The Asian groceries around here have better prices on produce, especially anything green, if you don't need organic.

So glad things are better today!!!

For anyone reading who doesn't know this, many churches with food pantries will help with zero questions asked. Our church is running a huge food pantry now, we actually dropped some other ministries because the need is so great on our side of town. Anyone who comes in just gets food. No religious questions, no praying with you unless you ask, no trying to get you to come to church. Just help.

... that I totally understand where you are at. We are also on food stamps and it gets really tough at the end of the month. We don't get ours until the 8th so today I am happy that I can finally go get some food. Fortunately, near the end of the month my mother invites us to eat dinner with them a time or two to help out. The unfortunate thing is that I can't eat gluten and my daughter is allergic to eggs, bananas, and tomaotes so it limits what we can get that is cheaper.

I hope things are better for you now. Did you check out the WIC thing?

We didn't check out WIC. My dh would rather leave that for people who make too much for stamps as it is easier to get than stamps. We were on WIC with our 9yo and they aren't very respectful in our local office. We didn't appreciate being treated like we were butritionally clueless and needed to be taught how to feed our family.

You could contact local garden groups/community gardens/master gardener groups (through your County Extension office) and ask if anyone has excess produce. I was just volunteering at a garden activity and several people mentioned how their gardens are overflowing with tomatoes, cantaloups, peppers, etc. There are probably gardeners there who would be happy to share as well. Also, sometimes here people post on Craigslist when they have excess produce or fruit trees laden with cherries & apples.

Gl to you and :grouphug:

We didn't check out WIC. My dh would rather leave that for people who make too much for stamps as it is easier to get than stamps. We were on WIC with our 9yo and they aren't very respectful in our local office. We didn't appreciate being treated like we were butritionally clueless and needed to be taught how to feed our family.

Definitely check out WIC!! They are funded separately from SNAP/food stamps. Someone else won't go without because you receive it, and it sounds like your family could really use those basics, especially toward the end of the month.