Menu

Okay, it's not PERFECT yet, but here's my homeschool room (garage conv.)

There are still things I need to do: covers on a couple outlets, more wall stuff, a bit more organizing. I also would love to find a nice, fuzzy rug to warm it up. And I need to clean the windows :glare: But overall, I LOVE THIS ROOM!!!! We've been using it for about a week and are so happy!

A successful garage conversion :D

post-14343-13535087423983_thumb.jpg

post-14343-13535087424375_thumb.jpg

post-14343-13535087424728_thumb.jpg

post-14343-13535087425059_thumb.jpg

What did you do about the floor? Is it concrete? We're going to convert our garage this fall. I like how you had the guts to just fix up the walls, leave the door, and do it. I was going to take out the door, but it would save a lot of money if we don't.

We had concrete, and decided on polisgphed concrete. But when the men came in to do it, the layer of concrete was so thin they broke thru it. Underneath was this pale, pebbly terrazo-like material, which they polished. I like it!

I see you are in South Florida..... so a window unit a/c??

Very cool!! Now you can reclaim the kitchen table for eating, lol!

We bought a Pinguino. In the 98 degree summerheat, it can only get the room down to 79, but the rest of the year should be fine. Dh installed a ceiling fan along with the track lights, so that helps.

I Love it!!!! Especially how you left the garage door - gives it a hip/modern/utilitarian feel, like those industrial lofts.

The pet corner is awesome :) I wish I could squeeze a couch into my school room...or at least an overstuffed chair!

Thanks. I was worried about the door, and it required about 5 coats of paint (it was dark brown). But the budget wasnt there for anything else, and i actually like it. DH popped out the panels and we bought cut glass to give the room more light.

I love it! The plants and loveseat make it especially inviting and cheery to me. The colorful stickers on the memory work notebook grabbed my attention and made me smile. :001_smile: I guess I'm easily amused.

Gotta give my scrapbooking supplies some use, i guess. Not enough time these days to actually scrap.:D

Your room looks wonderful.

I'm curious, though. Is your garage air-conditioned or heated? Up here in the Chicago area, a garage is intolerably hot half the year and bitterly cold the other half.

I got all excited about leaving the door in ours, but I went out to look and was reminded that the reason we have to wall it in is that we have to insulate the whole garage, anyway, or everybody'll freeze.

Your room looks wonderful.

I'm curious, though. Is your garage air-conditioned or heated? Up here in the Chicago area, a garage is intolerably hot half the year and bitterly cold the other half.

We invested in a Pinguino portable A/C, as there are no "windows" (not ones that open, anyway) but there is a vent in the wall. So the Pinguino vents out the hole. Works well. :)

There are still things I need to do: covers on a couple outlets, more wall stuff, a bit more organizing. I also would love to find a nice, fuzzy rug to warm it up. And I need to clean the windows :glare: But overall, I LOVE THIS ROOM!!!! We've been using it for about a week and are so happy!

A successful garage conversion :D

It's so bright and airy looking. Love the red chairs against all the white :)

I was going to comment on the cement floors being cold (you know, because we are in Winter here and I was freaking about the barefeet) but then it clicked, duh, you guys are in Summer (hence your boys are only wearing shorts and t-shirts and are barefoot!!! :lol: ).