Menu

I shared a funny picture on FB of a store with a Back to School sign hanging over a bunch of knives. I commented on it, "Uh . . . guess I'm glad I'm homeschooling. hee hee" My SIL commented back, "Homeschooling takes away children's (sic) social skills. That's not good, Lynne."

She's been extra *itchy to lots of people lately, so I'd had enough of her and posted back, "Well public school doesn't seem to have done your social skills any good." Then, I posted a chart of the hierarchy of social skills on her wall and asked her to point out exactly which social skills my children were missing.

I know- I sunk to her level and am being petty and childish. I don't care at the moment. :tongue_smilie:

I shared a funny picture on FB of a store with a Back to School sign hanging over a bunch of knives. I commented on it, "Uh . . . guess I'm glad I'm homeschooling. hee hee" My SIL commented back, "Homeschooling takes away children's (sic) social skills. That's not good, Lynne."

She's been extra *itchy to lots of people lately, so I'd had enough of her and posted back, "Well public school doesn't seem to have done your social skills any good." Then, I posted a chart of the hierarchy of social skills on her wall and asked her to point out exactly which social skills my children were missing.

I know- I sunk to her level and am being petty and childish. I don't care at the moment. :tongue_smilie:

Ok, I know I shouldn't but

:lol: way to go!

Wow, your SIL got awfully defensive just because you made a little joke. I'm glad you got right back in her face and told her off.

She'll probably keep her mouth shut next time. :D

Yeah, she's probably defensive because her public schooled 3rd grader can't add 2 +3 without counting on her fingers, and she's worried about it. And, knowing her, she won't keep her mouth shut next time. :glare:

Because I'm a moron. I inadvertently corrected it as I was typing. :D She originally wrote "Homeschooling take away children social skills."

:lol: okay, that makes much more sense. Yes, I'm afraid I would have had to reply with something about what public school does for grammar skills. And then I would have regretted it because other public school parents and teachers on my wall would have seen it and been hurt. Your reply was definitely better since it was directed only at your SIL. :001_smile:

Then, I posted a chart of the hierarchy of social skills on her wall and asked her to point out exactly which social skills my children were missing.

Would you please post a picture of this or tell me what it is? My public school education did not cover that and I'm curious.

Here was her second comment: "My social may somewhat suck that's because I don't like to around asinine ppl. Drrr "

I think much of it is because she was probably typing on her phone, but still!

She's just not a pleasant person. She takes meds for depression and anxiety, but really doesn't know when to keep her mouth closed and is frequently inappropriate. I probably wouldn't have posted anything back to her on a normal day, but I was aggravated with her already for posting negative comments about the lip piercing on our German exchange student.

Here's a link to the picture.

And here's a link to the chart I sent her.

Here was her second comment: "My social may somewhat suck that's because I don't like to around asinine ppl. Drrr "

She's just not a pleasant person. She takes meds for depression and anxiety, but really doesn't know when to keep her mouth closed and is frequently inappropriate. I probably wouldn't have posted anything back to her on a normal day, but I was aggravated with her already for posting negative comments about the lip piercing on our German exchange student.

Her second comment to you makes no sense (unless I'm missing something?). :confused:

The Back to School picture with the knives - hilarious! :lol:

What a goof your SIL is. I love your comment to her!

Wow, so she's insinuating you are asinine? I'd have trouble letting that go.

No, I really don't think she meant me. I think she meant that her social skills are poor because she works as a nursing assistant at a huge hospital and has to be around infuriating people all the time. She's not bright enough to realize that her statement could be offensive to me.

My other SIL private messaged me asking me if something happened to make her write the social skills comment. I said no- it was just out of the blue. 2nd SIL said, "Typical." The whole family chastises her frequently for her inappropriate remarks and behaviors. I usually let it slide, but this one got under my skin.

Good for you lol. If she continues to run her mouth about your life choices in negative ways like that, if I were you, it'd be bye-bye SIL as a Facebook friend. When I post stuff on MY wall, I'm not looking for people to be argumentative or nasty with me about what I post. If I feel there is anyone who is too argumentative, nasty, or negative, I delete them. Shrug. :D

ETA: You could respond to her second comment with: "There are a lot of asinine people in public school. Also a lot of children (and adults) with atrocious spelling and grammar skills. Just saying." No? Okay, but it's fun to think about. Honestly, after reading her further comments and your further comments about her, I'd delete her. You're under no obligation to have her on your Facebook page.

Good for you lol. If she continues to run her mouth about your life choices in negative ways like that, if I were you, it'd be bye-bye SIL as a Facebook friend. When I post stuff on MY wall, I'm not looking for people to be argumentative or nasty with me about what I post. If I feel there is anyone who is too argumentative, nasty, or negative, I delete them. Shrug. :D

ETA: You could respond to her second comment with: "There are a lot of asinine people in public school. Also a lot of children (and adults) with atrocious spelling and grammar skills. Just saying." No? Okay, but it's fun to think about. Honestly, after reading her further comments and your further comments about her, I'd delete her. You're under no obligation to have her on your Facebook page.

:iagree:

OP, sorry this happened to you. By the way, the photo is hilarious! ;)

Before I read the second paragraph, your response is exactly what I was thinking. That really needed a response.

My friend was at Michaels the other day and said some woman came down the aisle and started talking to her DS and she was asking him if he was getting ready to go back to school. Her DS told the lady, I'm homeschooled and we already started. The lady looked at my friend and said, "Well, as a school teacher, by biggest concern with homeschooling is socialization." So my friend said, "Yeah, we were really concerned about socialization too, which is why we chose NOT to put him in public school." The lady just walked off, LOL.

It sounds snarky, but friend lives in an area that used to be very nice, but has gotten worse over the years. Her and her DH bought the house like 18 years ago, way before they had a kid, and after the economy tanked, are unable to sell it. So yeah, the schools are VERY bad, and she really WAS concerned about the socialization he would get there.

But some people just assume that going to school, even the worst ones, are better than being taught at home. Narrow minds inside a box, whatcha' gonna do??

This is my plan if anyone ever tries to pull the socialization thing with me.

Yikes. Here, I'd HAVE to say something about English language skills. Perhaps I'd also feel the need to point out the lack of social skills once again in either outright calling you asinine, or doing so without even meaning to.

The picture is HILARIOUS.

Guest submarines
No, I really don't think she meant me. I think she meant that her social skills are poor because she works as a nursing assistant at a huge hospital and has to be around infuriating people all the time. She's not bright enough to realize that her statement could be offensive to me.

My other SIL private messaged me asking me if something happened to make her write the social skills comment. I said no- it was just out of the blue. 2nd SIL said, "Typical." The whole family chastises her frequently for her inappropriate remarks and behaviors. I usually let it slide, but this one got under my skin.

Why are you making fun of a person who isn't bright and who is on medication for depression and anxiety, and who you know is worried about her child's poor academic performance? :confused:

ETA: I'm not againt some snark, but not against someone like your SIL.

Edited by sunflowers

I think you started it with that joke. When you replied you totally sunk to her level. You should apologize.

What was wrong with her joke? :confused:

I think political correctness has gone way too far when you can't even make a little joke to your own SIL.

She made the joke on FB where many people who send their kids "back to school" would see it. I'm not saying the joke is a big deal, but I'm not surprised she offended someone, especially her SIL, who she knows well. Then the OP sunk to her level with that reply. I think the OP was out of line. I also think it's a horrible idea to fight on FB.

She made the joke on FB where many people who send their kids "back to school" would see it. I'm not saying the joke is a big deal, but I'm not surprised she offended someone, especially her SIL, who she knows well. Then the OP sunk to her level with that reply. I think the OP was out of line. I also think it's a horrible idea to fight on FB.

I am sorry, that picture was hilarious. It falls under the heading of " you can't make this junk up" and those sort of the things are funny whether you send your child to school, keep them home, raised them all, or never had them.

Unless of course you have no sense of humor, in which case you are going to get you panties twisted a great deal in this life no matter what people refrain from posting on Facebook.

Were these asinine people all homeschooled? I would be tempted to ask. :tongue_smilie:

I also think it's a horrible idea to fight on FB.

We definitely agree on that! :thumbup: I was raised to believe that you don't air your dirty laundry in public, and with many people having about a bazillion FB "friends," that's what they're doing every time they argue or post a private comment that they later wish they could take back.

Sorry, but if she is on medication for anxiety and depression and has a history of being inappropriate, then I would just ignore her instead of engage with her.

(ETA: Ugh, and now that I'm pointing that finger at you, I can already remember a few times in the last month that I've done the same thing. Sigh. Consider my judgment revoked and my shame-pants on:blushing:)

Edited by UnsinkableKristen

Wow, your SIL got awfully defensive just because you made a little joke. I'm glad you got right back in her face and told her off.

She'll probably keep her mouth shut next time. :D

Eventually she'll learn to not go there with you. She could have ignored it, she didn't, plus, it wasn't about her anyway.

Um, the OP got the pic from me originally. It was an actual pic, taken in a store. Not something the OP made up.

When stores do goofy displays like that, someone is gonna snap a pic.

Last wk, I had a similar display, back to school, but it was bottles of rum. Again, found on fb, reposted on my wall.

So, nobody should point out goofy mistakes by a store?

Someone better tell cakewrecks.

I am sorry, that picture was hilarious. It falls under the heading of " you can't make this junk up" and those sort of the things are funny whether you send your child to school, keep them home, raised them all, or never had them.

Unless of course you have no sense of humor, in which case you are going to get you panties twisted a great deal in this life no matter what people refrain from posting on Facebook.

Dude that was a perfectly good sip of coffee now on my monitor :lol:

One of so many reasons I do not have a FB account...

Good on you OP!

Having a mental illness does not make someone an a$$hat. Her SIL sounds as though she would be one regardless. I am so very tired of people with awful personalities getting a free pass just because they have some form of depression or anxiety. If no one speaks up to say they are out of line how will they ever become aware? Better to set boundaries than let is slide.

I speak from experience in that I have a SIL who is very offensive and inappropriate. She is emotionally abusive and her immediate family wrote it off for the longest time with the excuse of "she is sick". Umm no, their behavior is just a whole bunch of self-loathing being vomited on everyone around them.

Some folks are their own worst enemy and their choices just perpetuate and feed into their illness(es). In the case of OP's SIL, I would surmise there may be a whole lot more situational depression going on rather than chemical... even just statistically speaking, but I digress. I know plenty of folks with either or both of these issues and most are really great folks.

People with awful personalities do not get free passes just because they may have a mood disorder! There is plenty of evidence-based research showing there is no causation or correlation. Some people are just a$$holes.

Time to take the kid gloves off people... this society is creating entitled monsters.

:iagree: Exactly! If someone is that much of a donkey's badonkadonk it has nothing to do with depression and anxiety, it is simply that they are a donkey's badonkadonk period.

Um, the OP got the pic from me originally. It was an actual pic, taken in a store. Not something the OP made up.

When stores do goofy displays like that, someone is gonna snap a pic.

Last wk, I had a similar display, back to school, but it was bottles of rum. Again, found on fb, reposted on my wall.

So, nobody should point out goofy mistakes by a store?

Someone better tell cakewrecks.

I did not see that one on your FB. I think rum bottles with back to school ads are VERY appropriate. I hope they run 2 for 1 sales come February. :D