Menu

I just need to vent....maybe some advice if anyone has any?!?

If I'm understanding correctly, you have agreed to pay $50 a month til the $1300 balance is paid off. This means it will be 26 months before your doctor will be fully paid for the work that she and her staff have provided you.

Would you expect to go to a restaurant or clothing store, rack up a bill, convince them to wait over 2 years to be fully paid, and then be welcomed back to the establishment? Why do you all expect this of your doctors? Obgyns have some of the highest malpractice premiums to pay in the industry. They have nurses, staff, and overhead to pay. Just because they're doctors doesn't mean their work should go without rightful compensation.

I seriously don't understand some of these responses.

You know, my dh is a plumber...and we are on a single income...HIS, yet we have people who call us in an emergency who do not have loads of money. I let them pay me off. It is just the right thing to do. We might turn someone away if they habitually call us out and then I have to chase them down to get paid....and believe me, WE NEED our money....but if someone needs help, it is an emergency, they are up front with us....and pay it off monthly, or weekly, or whatever we decide on, I look on them as a good customer, and a good advertisement for our business.

Faithe

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I'm understanding correctly, you have agreed to pay $50 a month til the $1300 balance is paid off. This means it will be 26 months before your doctor will be fully paid for the work that she and her staff have provided you.

Would you expect to go to a restaurant or clothing store, rack up a bill, convince them to wait over 2 years to be fully paid, and then be welcomed back to the establishment? Why do you all expect this of your doctors? Obgyns have some of the highest malpractice premiums to pay in the industry. They have nurses, staff, and overhead to pay. Just because they're doctors doesn't mean their work should go without rightful compensation.

The doctor will be paid in full for the prenatal visits she's trying to schedule by Medicaid. How does refusing to see her for an old unrelated bill that she is making payments on make any sense? I can still use my credit card as long as I'm making the monthly payment. I don't have to pay it off completely to use it again.

High horse? That's really funny. Nope, I'm just an average person who can understand that a PROVIDER OF SERVICE may choose to have a policy to not PROVIDE SERVICE to someone who will owe them money for 2+ years, even if that person expects the provider to be happy to continue working for them essentially for free.

And no, this is not an emergency. OP is free to seek out another provider who will take Medicaid and to whom she is not already in debt.

What I don't understand is all these posts that are vilifying the doctor who has these policies in place. It's a free country. OP is free to take 2 years to pay off her bill. The doctor is free to say, "Nope, I'm not going to spend my time treating people who owe me money."

How is it that the doctor is in the wrong?????

High horse? That's really funny. Nope, I'm just an average person who can understand that a PROVIDER OF SERVICE may choose to have a policy to not PROVIDE SERVICE to someone who will owe them money for 2+ years, even if that person expects the provider to be happy to continue working for them essentially for free.

And no, this is not an emergency. OP is free to seek out another provider who will take Medicaid and to whom she is not already in debt.

What I don't understand is all these posts that are vilifying the doctor who has these policies in place. It's a free country. OP is free to take 2 years to pay off her bill. The doctor is free to say, "Nope, I'm not going to spend my time treating people who owe me money."

The doctor isn't working for FREE!!!

If they are a large practice they probably have a website. Email the Dr and CC the office manager. I would state in the email your history with them and the fact you have never had an outstanding balance until now and you made payment arrangements. Request a call from either the Dr or Office manager to discuss further.

Congrats!!!!

"Essentially" for free. Ever taken a look at Medicaid reimbursement for care? It's not pretty.

I just don't blame a doctor for not wanting to see a patient who already owes them money and for whom medicaid reimbursement will likely barely cover the cost of the service provided. Again, this is when you add up the cost of staff, insurance, overhead, etc.

Doctors who take medicaid and medicare are NOT doing it because of the money. It's a pretty charitable thing to do, imo, considering the poor reimbursement and the oodles of gov't red tape that need to be dealt with.

That's really a different topic, though.

"Essentially" for free. Ever taken a look at Medicaid reimbursement for care? It's not pretty.

I just don't blame a doctor for not wanting to see a patient who already owes them money and for whom medicaid reimbursement will likely barely cover the cost of the service provided. Again, this is when you add up the cost of staff, insurance, overhead, etc.

Doctors who take medicaid and medicare are NOT doing it because of the money. It's a pretty charitable thing to do, imo, considering the poor reimbursement and the oodles of gov't red tape that need to be dealt with.

Yes, I have...I worked in a dentist's office before having children. I'm glad he saw beyond the dollar signs...

You're right -- it is a different topic. ;)

I don't know how to do that. This is an office of 19 practitioners. Even when you call with a medical issue, they take your name and number and have a nurse call you back. If it warrants a check with the doctor, the nurse will check and then call you back again to let you know what the doctor said. I have no idea how to get a hold of my doctor directly. :(

Send them a letter.

The doctor will be paid in full for the prenatal visits she's trying to schedule by Medicaid. How does refusing to see her for an old unrelated bill that she is making payments on make any sense? I can still use my credit card as long as I'm making the monthly payment. I don't have to pay it off completely to use it again.

Yes, but by using your credit card vendors are all getting paid. The only one who's not getting paid 100% is the credit card company, and they're charging you upwards of 26% interest, plus late fees. They WILL eventually get paid, and in spades. How is this doctor to know that OP will eventually pay her full bill? New baby will be here in less time than the 26 month payment plan's conclusion.

Not to mention the fact that a doctor and his/her patient have a relationship that must be maintained. If a person owes you a lot of money and is taking a loooong time to pay it off, doesn't it affect the relationship? Even a teensy weensy bit?

I would suggest a letter marked to Dr. So and so and then also put in bold letters, CONFIDENTIAL! The staff will be in big trouble for opening it. It should go directly to her desk.

I'd also send it registered receipt so someone has to sign for it.

Tell the doctor how you feel, let her know that the other office is not taking new patients so your child will not be receiving pre-natal care, and see what happens. Chances are, once the doctor is apprised of the situation and sees that A. you have state health insurance and B. you have a good faith payment plan, she will tell the office staff that you are a patient in good standing and call to make an appointment.

There is no guarantee, but generally, I think most docs will go for this unless of course their practices in are in bad financial straits.

:grouphug:

Faith

:iagree: and Congratulations!

Wow!! This topic blew up more than I expected. I'm a little shocked.....and admittedly, I don't have very thick skin right now, but I feel a little looked down upon.

Anyway....a few things that came to mind.

To get a message to the DOCTOR, I would try to send a handwritten card in a nice envelope, addressed to the doctor by name, with "personal and confidential" written on the outside, bottom of the envelope.

"Dear Dr. ###,

I just wanted to personally thank you for your wonderful care over the past 12 years and three babies. You have been so important/wonderful/etc. . .

I am now pregnant with my fourth (final) baby, and I was so distressed when Sally, in billing, told me that I could not make an appt to see you since we are making $50/mo payments on our outstanding $1200 bill. I am sorry we weren't able to pay this bill in full yet, and I want you to know that we do plan to continue payments until it is paid in full, even though we aren't able to see you.

If there is any way that you could intervene with the billing department to allow us to be seen for this pregnancy, I would greatly appreciate it. (The pregnancy will be covered by Medicaid, so we will not run up any additional payments, but will continue to make payments on our balance.)

If you are not able to see me for this pregancy, I would be ever so grateful if you could refer me to another OB who might provide me with the x/y/x/wonderful care you have provided me in the past.

Best wishes, and thank you so much,

Sincerely,

. . .

(Include your phone number and mailing address.)

It might not work, but it is a good shot.

Thank you!! This is exactly what I needed :)

Not necessarily. OP said it is a office of 19 practitioners. This might be a practice policy out of the hands of the individual doctors. Practice policies like cutting off patients who don't pay their bills protect all the doctors in the practice. It is possible that one doctor can't over-ride the policy.

Not saying it isn't worth a try, but be aware that the doctor might not have any say over this issue.

I am concerned about this being the case. In fact, I suspect that this is the case. However, I do think they make exceptions, because the collections (aka mean) lady did say that she reviewed my case with the office manager prior to calling me back. However, at that time, she was not aware that I would be a medicaid patient and likely did not know that there would be no additional charges added to my bill.

Unfortunately, doctors don't have to accept anyone as a patient. If you have an unpaid bill, they don't have to accept you even if you have Medicaid or have been seen there before. In my county, only the doctors who want to practice at the county owned hospital will take Medicaid and that's because they have to if they want hospital rights. Most doctors don't think it pays enough to make taking Medicaid patients worth the trouble. I'm sorry they were so rude to you and there's no excuse for that, but it's possible that the doctor is the one who set the policy.

The Medicaid isn't the issue. I had it with 2 of my 3 pregnancies and never had an issue there. I've never been treated differently or had any issues in the office at all.

Medicaid will sometimes pay bills that happened before you were covered by them. It is worth checking into. I had a hospital stay several years ago when I was uninsured. I applied for coverage after the incident and it covered the bill.

If the pregnancy now makes her eligible for Medicaid (and she wasn't before), Medicaid will not pay any previous bills.

Here, they will pay 3 months prior to your application date - even if it is the pregnancy that qualifies me. Unfortunately, my surgery was in March, so there is nothing they can do to help me at this point.

I really don't believe the doctor has much or anything to do with this.

Yes, but by using your credit card vendors are all getting paid. The only one who's not getting paid 100% is the credit card company, and they're charging you upwards of 26% interest, plus late fees. They WILL eventually get paid, and in spades. How is this doctor to know that OP will eventually pay her full bill? New baby will be here in less time than the 26 month payment plan's conclusion.

Not to mention the fact that a doctor and his/her patient have a relationship that must be maintained. If a person owes you a lot of money and is taking a loooong time to pay it off, doesn't it affect the relationship? Even a teensy weensy bit?

A lot of money? Really? $1200 or $1300 is a lot of money? Admittedly, for MY family it is a TON of money, however in the scheme of medical bills I think that's probably a relatively minor bill. I definitely feel like I know my doctor well enough to say that I very highly doubt she would let $1200 or $1300 affect our relationship. Especially since it's not like I'm trying to get out of paying it, or avoiding it in any way.

Kristin --

Congrats on your pregnancy -- (((hugs)))

My sister recently retired from an OB practice - a large practice for the location. Neither she nor any of the doctors in the practice had any idea what the billing person was saying to people on the phone. All of the MDs assumed that everything was humming along perfectly well....that's what the admin staff was supposed to be doing....keeping everything rolling along.

Long story short, the young woman who was my hair stylist at the time called to make an OB appointment - she did not have insurance. Her family was wealthy -- small farming town, her family owned much of the land in town, tons of $$$. The practice would not give her an appointment, per the billing manager, b/c she and her dh did not have insurance. The young woman said they would pay the entire amount in full, up front, cash - not matter what the practice asked for. Billing manager said no.

A few weeks later, I go in for a hair cut, she is visibly pg and the first words out of her mouth were: 'Wait till you hear what your sister's billing manager told me on the phone.'

Well, the damage was done - I did tell my sister and she was horrified - & tried to make amends but it was too late. I actually had to find someone else someplace else to cut my hair b/c every time I went, she would go on and on about how amazing her doctors were..and tell ridiculous stories about how they had 'cured' this woman and that woman.

I understand how hurt she was and how belittling the billing person's actions were to her --

my point being: attempt to get in touch with your doctor - explain as briefly yet completely as you can. In a practice as large as the one your doctor is in, they have a policy and in order to maintain a process, the admin staff is probably not going to deviate from it. I daresay that your circumstances are extenuating and i hope you are able to communicate the situation to your doctor with a favorable conclusion.

(((hugs)))

Sometimes doctors have no idea how their staff behaves when they're not within earshot.

Kristin --

Congrats on your pregnancy -- (((hugs)))

My sister recently retired from an OB practice - a large practice for the location. Neither she nor any of the doctors in the practice had any idea what the billing person was saying to people on the phone. All of the MDs assumed that everything was humming along perfectly well....that's what the admin staff was supposed to be doing....keeping everything rolling along.

:iagree: I had major problems with the office staff with my old doctor. I ended up leaving that dr over it and writing a letter. My dr (who actually is a good friend of mine) had no clue what was going on with his staff. He was really mad when he found out.

Same for my FIL who is a dr. He has told us quite a few stories...

Anyway. I don't know how your dr's practice works, but for the most part, any of the dr bills I pay, the billing company has no connection to the drs. They have a central billing location that handles lots of practices, so you aren't talking to your dr's staff. You're talking to the billers they've contracted with or if they are connected to a hospital, they are using the billers the hospital tells them to use.

And I would imagine that a doctor or clinic who cuts off service for every single patient who is on a payment plan would find themselves without any patients. It might be their right, but it's still a terrible business strategy.

:iagree: I had major problems with the office staff with my old doctor. I ended up leaving that dr over it and writing a letter. My dr (who actually is a good friend of mine) had no clue what was going on with his staff. He was really mad when he found out.

Same for my FIL who is a dr. He has told us quite a few stories...

Anyway. I don't know how your dr's practice works, but for the most part, any of the dr bills I pay, the billing company has no connection to the drs. They have a central billing location that handles lots of practices, so you aren't talking to your dr's staff. You're talking to the billers they've contracted with or if they are connected to a hospital, they are using the billers the hospital tells them to use.

Unfortunately, the billing office is located right in the office. They are pretty self sufficient there with a lab, u/s, and everything. I really do suspect that my OB has no idea this is happening, but I'm also not sure she can actually do anything about it either.

Congratulations!!

Get some rest, see what your dh turns up tomorrow, hopefully the doctor will see him when he is there in passing and maybe your dh can quickly tell what is going on.

I had a bad experience with the doctor that delivered dc#1, my neighbor's husband worked near the ob/gyn and went to collect my records for me (with my permission). The doctor called me personally to see what was up! I still changed because the damage was done (different than your situation), but it got his attention!

Some random thoughts (perhaps they will be helpful):

*Your state laws define what is required for a physician to terminate a patient from their practice without facing abandonment sanctions. I think all states do require at least 30 days of notice (during which time care should be provided, prescriptions renewed etc) prior to termination. Some states have more stringent requirements. (From how you worded things I am unsure if your OB ever actually terminated you as a patient or not. From a legal standpoint this will be important in terms of what can legally be expected now.)

*Talking with your physician directly is a good idea. I'm not sure that your husband showing up at the office without an appointment is the best way to accomplish this. It would not be the approach I would advocate my husband take with my current OB if we were in this situation. However, we are not in this situation so maybe I don't have a good realistic understanding.

*If you are unable to re-establish with your OB is there a teaching hospital with an OB (or perhaps FM) residency nearby? They will likely be more open to taking patients regardless of payer source.

Finally :grouphug:! I'm sure this is a bit overwhelming and scary for you (probably moreso because you just had a pregnancy loss a month ago or so) but hang in there and breathe! Best wishes!

Some random thoughts (perhaps they will be helpful):

*Your state laws define what is required for a physician to terminate a patient from their practice without facing abandonment sanctions. I think all states do require at least 30 days of notice (during which time care should be provided, prescriptions renewed etc) prior to termination. Some states have more stringent requirements. (From how you worded things I am unsure if your OB ever actually terminated you as a patient or not. From a legal standpoint this will be important in terms of what can legally be expected now.)

*Talking with your physician directly is a good idea. I'm not sure that your husband showing up at the office without an appointment is the best way to accomplish this. It would not be the approach I would advocate my husband take with my current OB if we were in this situation. However, we are not in this situation so maybe I don't have a good realistic understanding.

*If you are unable to re-establish with your OB is there a teaching hospital with an OB (or perhaps FM) residency nearby? They will likely be more open to taking patients regardless of payer source.

Finally :grouphug:! I'm sure this is a bit overwhelming and scary for you (probably moreso because you just had a pregnancy loss a month ago or so) but hang in there and breathe! Best wishes!

I've actually not talked to my doctor directly at all. The phone call that I received on July 23rd from the collections lady at the dr's office was the first I heard of any of this. Obviously, I knew I owed them money prior to that, but as far as the threat to drop me from the practice - that came directly from the billing dept on July 23rd.

You know what's funny about this whole thing? My dr saw me to confirm my loss on June 4th and no mention was ever made of my bill. The collections lady told DH today that that was only because it was a threatened pregnancy?!?

Congratulations on your pregnancy! :D

I'm so sorry this woman was so mean to you. I really don't understand why people act that way. :grouphug:

I agree with sending the letter. Hopefully it will work! I'll bet your OB has more common sense than the billing lady and will see you.

I don't know how to do that. This is an office of 19 practitioners. Even when you call with a medical issue, they take your name and number and have a nurse call you back. If it warrants a check with the doctor, the nurse will check and then call you back again to let you know what the doctor said. I have no idea how to get a hold of my doctor directly. :(

Write a letter addressed to your doctor. Nobody else will be able to legally open it.

*Your state laws define what is required for a physician to terminate a patient from their practice without facing abandonment sanctions.

Iowa code:

13.7(1)

Termination of the physician-patient relationship.

A physician may choose whom to serve. Having undertaken the care of a patient, the

physician may not neglect the patient. A physician shall provide a patient written notice

of the termination of the physician-patient relationship. A physician shall ensure that

emergency medical care is available to the patient during the 30-day period following

notice of the termination of the physician-patient relationship.

Whatever you do, be sugar sweet to the office manager. My friend is an office manager in a big practice and she is essentially the boss- even over the doctors. She has the final say in that office. Doctors certainly have influence, but she is the end of the line. So when you talk directly with the OM, just keep that in mind.

I would suggest a letter marked to Dr. So and so and then also put in bold letters, CONFIDENTIAL! The staff will be in big trouble for opening it. It should go directly to her desk.

I'd also send it registered receipt so someone has to sign for it.

Tell the doctor how you feel, let her know that the other office is not taking new patients so your child will not be receiving pre-natal care, and see what happens. Chances are, once the doctor is apprised of the situation and sees that A. you have state health insurance and B. you have a good faith payment plan, she will tell the office staff that you are a patient in good standing and call to make an appointment.

There is no guarantee, but generally, I think most docs will go for this unless of course their practices in are in bad financial straits.

:grouphug:

Faith

Wonderful advice! Shame on them for making a pregnant woman cry!:grouphug:

Do you have or could you get a credit card to pay off the balance and then make $50 payments to the card? I know it would cost you more in the long-run with interest, but at least you could get the care you need from the doctor you want.

:iagree: congratulations! :-)

You know, my dh is a plumber...and we are on a single income...HIS, yet we have people who call us in an emergency who do not have loads of money. I let them pay me off. It is just the right thing to do. We might turn someone away if they habitually call us out and then I have to chase them down to get paid....and believe me, WE NEED our money....but if someone needs help, it is an emergency, they are up front with us....and pay it off monthly, or weekly, or whatever we decide on, I look on them as a good customer, and a good advertisement for our business.

Faithe

OT I know, but God bless you and your dh.

The doctor's office has decided to accept medicaid, so obviously they are ok with the level of payment they *recieve* from medicaid for their care.

Also, as others have said, Kristin is not asking the doctor to allow her to accrue more debt with the office. The doctor's office has agreed with Kristin on a payment plan for the outstanding debt. And the doctor's office has also agreed with Medicaid that the payments they recieve for services covered under Medicaid are sufficient. Since any care Kristin gets for this current pregnancy will be covered by Medicaid, it doesn't make sense for the office to refuse to see her. In fact, they are losing money by refusing her treatment at this point.

Also, while I fully recognize I am not the boss of you or anyone else on this board, :tongue_smilie:, Kristin has shared that she is already upset about the whole situation, and now she is feeling looked down upon. So perhaps now would be a good time to employ the old 'if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all'. Of course you're entitled to your opinion; however, grace and tact on when/where to share that opinion are always appropriate. :001_smile:

And Kristin, PRAISE God for the blessing of your new pregnancy!! Remember right now, like always, He knows everything you are going through, and he holds you and your baby in His hands. :001_smile:

The doctor's office has decided to accept medicaid, so obviously they are ok with the level of payment they *recieve* from medicaid for their care.

Also, as others have said, Kristin is not asking the doctor to allow her to accrue more debt with the office. The doctor's office has agreed with Kristin on a payment plan for the outstanding debt. And the doctor's office has also agreed with Medicaid that the payments they recieve for services covered under Medicaid are sufficient. Since any care Kristin gets for this current pregnancy will be covered by Medicaid, it doesn't make sense for the office to refuse to see her. In fact, they are losing money by refusing her treatment at this point.

Also, while I fully recognize I am not the boss of you or anyone else on this board, :tongue_smilie:, Kristin has shared that she is already upset about the whole situation, and now she is feeling looked down upon. So perhaps now would be a good time to employ the old 'if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all'. Of course you're entitled to your opinion; however, grace and tact on when/where to share that opinion are always appropriate. :001_smile:

And Kristin, PRAISE God for the blessing of your new pregnancy!! Remember right now, like always, He knows everything you are going through, and he holds you and your baby in His hands. :001_smile:

:iagree:With everything stated above. Well said.

Bethany, you might be my new favorite person on this board.

I had kept my mouth shut because I had no advice, and OP was getting good advice generally. But now I also want to offer a :grouphug: and a congratulations. What a joy. I hope this gets ironed out quickly and well.

Amen, Bethany.

:grouphug: Kristen. It will all be worth it in a few months, when you're nursing your little one with your family around you. That's a euphoric moment.

:iagree: -- well said.

:iagree: Well said.

The short answer is that health care is [should be] a right not a "want".

I don't know what Kristin's surgery was in March, but I imagine that if she could have avoided running up a $1200+ bill, she would have. She now has medical coverage [Medicaid] and is making a good-faith effort to pay off her bill. She is not attempting to freeload or "stiff" the doctor.

Yes, the doctor is a "provider of service", but he's not in the same class as a hair stylist or a tailor. This is not an "emergency", but as the OP stated, there are no other doctors in her area accepting her health insurance. Unless you are suggesting she run up a bill with the other doctor?

But honestly? This isn't about vilifying the doctor or the practice. It's about the billing agent using common decency and politeness in dealing with an established patient [who has never carried a balance before in all her years as a patient and who IS paying her bill as we speak], and about showing respect to another human being. Being polite and showing empathy cost her nothing.

Kristin, Congratulations. I hope that all the advice and support you've received here help you to solve this problem.

I don't know what Kristin's surgery was in March, but I imagine that if she could have avoided running up a $1200+ bill, she would have. She now has medical coverage [Medicaid] and is making a good-faith effort to pay off her bill. She is not attempting to freeload or "stiff" the doctor.

Yes, the doctor is a "provider of service", but he's not in the same class as a hair stylist or a tailor. This is not an "emergency", but as the OP stated, there are no other doctors in her area accepting her health insurance. Unless you are suggesting she run up a bill with the other doctor?

But honestly? This isn't about vilifying the doctor or the practice. It's about the billing agent using common decency and politeness in dealing with an established patient [who has never carried a balance before in all her years as a patient and who IS paying her bill as we speak], and about showing respect to another human being. Being polite and showing empathy cost her nothing.

Kristin, Congratulations. I hope that all the advice and support you've received here help you to solve this problem.

:iagree: very well said.

:iagree: Nice job. I was completely speechless yesterday and couldn't respond. How do you respond to someone who compares surgery or prenatal care with a trip to the mall? It isn't like the OB is like a trip to the spa. How do you discuss something like this with someone who doesn't live on the same planet, philosophically speaking?

Do you have or could you get a credit card to pay off the balance and then make $50 payments to the card? I know it would cost you more in the long-run with interest, but at least you could get the care you need from the doctor you want.

This really isn't an option for us right now. Even if it was, I don't feel it would be a smart thing to do given our current financial situation.

Bethany.....I wish I could just give you a big hug. Thank you! You are a wonderful, wonderful person!

Amen, Bethany.

:grouphug: Kristen. It will all be worth it in a few months, when you're nursing your little one with your family around you. That's a euphoric moment.

So true....and I am so looking forward to that.

My surgery was to remove a VERY painful, golf ball sized ovarian cyst. I did (and still do) have insurance, but it is a very high deductible plan. The $1200-$1300 is the portion that insurance didn't pay. We knew when we agreed to the surgery that there would be bills that we would be unable to pay in full afterward. We did the best we could under the circumstances.

Thank you for ALL the suggestions. I think DH is still going to try to talk to the office manager today in hopes that once she is aware of my medicaid status she will agree to make an exception. If that does not work, we will probably pursue this with a letter directly to the doctor (what a wonderful suggestion...I'm so glad it was suggested! It's a prefect way to get a hold of her). If we are still unable to get anywhere, we'll probably just suck it up and try to find a way to pay the bill in full.....though I'm not sure how we'll do that yet.

If we are still unable to get anywhere, we'll probably just suck it up and try to find a way to pay the bill in full.....though I'm not sure how we'll do that yet.

Are you completely against meeting with a midwife? I would think it would be so hard to return to this office after this mess.

Hang in there! Pregnancy can turn you in to a ball of nerves but ignore any negatives. Really, there is nothing you can do about the nasties but you can turn a deaf ear to them.

I hope your DH can talk with someone. It would be a great idea to write to the doctor personally and confidentially. Just make sure to address it to the doctor with confidential on the front so the office staff does not open it.

Are you completely against meeting with a midwife? I would think it would be so hard to return to this office after this mess.

I'm not at all, but in the brief search I did, I wasn't able to find one that would be willing/able to take medicaid.

I do love my doctor....and with as large as this practice is, I really don't believe she has anything to do with this mess. If I thought she did....I'd be searching a LOT harder for another provider. In my quick searches, the other large OB office in town is not taking medicaid patients, and the main midwife in town is not either. There may be more individual OBs or midwives, but I haven't found them if there are.

Unfortunately, the billing office is located right in the office. They are pretty self sufficient there with a lab, u/s, and everything. I really do suspect that my OB has no idea this is happening, but I'm also not sure she can actually do anything about it either.

I'd be shocked if she couldn't.

:iagree: Nice job. I was completely speechless yesterday and couldn't respond. How do you respond to someone who compares surgery or prenatal care with a trip to the mall? It isn't like the OB is like a trip to the spa. How do you discuss something like this with someone who doesn't live on the same planet, philosophically speaking?

I'm guessing this was directed toward me. :D

The planet I live on is one wherein every person in business and every consumer of services has a right to operate in the way they see fit. I am quite confident that OP's doctor is aware of the office policy and has either agreed with it, or is in no position to oppose it. Particularly if the doctor is one of 19 providers in the practice.

I think doctors (and lawyers, and business owners, and yes, even spas!) should expect that they will receive timely payment for services rendered. Why does that make me (or them!) so strange? I also think it's okay for doctors to say that a patient must pay off their balance before more treatment is administered.

The misconception I'm seeing from some of you is that a sum of $1300 isn't a lot of money, and these fat cat doctors should just write it off, or wait forever for it to be paid. Why is that? If the doctor is one of 19, she's on salary and the bottom line of the practice affects all of them. I think it's incredibly generous for them to even allow the balance to be paid over such a long period of time. There are plenty of places that would have turned her over to collections already since the surgery was nearly 6 months ago. Alternatively,they could have demanded that OP pay more than $50 per month. I'm sure she signed a financial consent form, so they could have even brought suit against her! I think she's lucky they've allowed her to pay it off over that time period.

And this isn't about looking down on anyone, btw. I was just stunned that everyone was so quick to hang the office out to dry, without considering things from their financial point of view.

To the poster who mentioned that her doctor's office had a sign that said no treatment would be rendered if balances were owed, that's exactly what things are coming to. When insurance companies so heavily discount reimbursements it makes it very hard for medical offices to stay in business, particularly when the cost of living, insurance premiums, and overhead continue to rise. Many times patients with Medicare and Medicaid actually COST the doctor money to be seen. Recently a family member was looking for a particular specialist and she found out that the ones who came most highly recommended have stopped accepting Medicare patients. It's just not financially possible for them to accept it.

Just the facts---don't shoot the messenger. ;)

As far as the U of I, yes....I could, but I'd really rather not if I can help it. It would involve a 30+ min drive, and 1/4 tank of gas every appt.

As far as insurance and reimbursement....I'm not going to (nor do I have the energy to) argue about it all, however I do want to say this. I still have, and will continue to have, my insurance through DH's work. Medicaid will pick up whatever my insurance does not.

As far as the U of I, yes....I could, but I'd really rather not if I can help it. It would involve a 30+ min drive, and 1/4 tank of gas every appt.

As far as insurance and reimbursement....I'm not going to (nor do I have the energy to) argue about it all, however I do want to say this. I still have, and will continue to have, my insurance through DH's work. Medicaid will pick up whatever my insurance does not.

I totally understand. I had to drive to DSM with my first for all my appts. It was about 30 minutes so I know how that works. I just had to drive to Ames with the other two. Much nicer 10 minute drive. I hope you can get it worked out with your doctor.