Menu

Evacuate Florida! According to CNN, 17 ft. python found...I recommend nukes!

Actually, it is a pretty serious problem. When they get too big, many pet owners release them into the Everglades where they have no natural predators. As a result, they are taking over and killing off the wildlife that is indigenous to the area. People who own these snakes as pets really need to be more responsible.

:) Beachy

Actually, it is a pretty serious problem. When they get too big, many pet owners release them into the Everglades where they have no natural predators. As a result, they are taking over and killing off the wildlife that is indigenous to the area. People who own these snakes as pets really need to be more responsible.

Yes! Those that are out there hunting these things say they find one at least everyday they are out there. They said they've found up to 14 in one day! :001_huh: It's really crazy.

I saw that and had to seriously consider cancelling our upcoming trip to Disney. Is it really worth it knowing there are so many pythons running around Florida? All I can say is KEEP THEM IN FLORIDA!!

They're mainly in the Everglades, not around Disney. Although I wouldn't mind a few making their way up to where I live in Tampa in 2 weeks to swallow some protestors and/or media who will be here for the political convention. ;)

The Everglades is not for the faint of heart - a few weeks ago, a guide had his hand bitten off by an alligator down there. They tried to re-attach his hand, but it failed. (After he got out of the hospital, he was arrested and charged with feeding the alligators.) Those poor people in his airboat tour got more than they bargained for!

There was a report that I heard about in early 2011. A python was found dead with a full grown alligator in its stomach. The alligator had split the python open (talk about eyes too big for its stomach) but both animals were dead. This is a major problem in the everglades aside from the dangers to humans and pets becuse some of the other species that the snakes are either eating or competing with for food or both are protected or endangered.

I'm trying to figure how long it will take that sucker to get to NC! EEEK!!!

I actually like snakes...small ones in small aquariums, like my daughter's snake.

It sounds like a really sadistic math problem! "If a snake, 17ft. in length, can slither at a rate of 34 ft. per minute, how long will it take to reach North Carolina and consume the border residents assuming the snake begins it's journey in Fort Lauderdale and ends in North River."

Let's see 883. 63 miles according to map quest and there are 5280 ft. per mile or 4,665,566.4 feet in the journey. Assume also that said snake sleeps for two hrs. per day therefore traveling only 22 hrs. per rotation of the earth. 60 minutes per hr. X 34 ft. per min. = 748 ft. per hr. x 22 hrs. = 16,456 ft. per day. 4665566.4\ 16456 = 283 days before said wicked, evil, depraved reptile is slurping up the residents of North River.

This of course, is not real world mathematics because we haven't taken into account weather conditions or traffic! Possibly some days the reptile would sleep more or less and then there is the issue of getting off the highway in order to find food unless of course it happened upon an unsuspecting motorist in the process of changing a flat tire.

I-95 will never be the same!! :lol:

Nakia, you have time to list your house and move. I would think that the reptile would find tasty humans all along it's path...certainly the residents of Jacksonville, Savannah, and Charleston should take cover!

Faith

Yes, it's a very serious problem. I thought they passed a law recently that all exotic pets are supposed to be chipped. That way if one is found "in the wild" the owner can be tracked down. Not sure how effective that will be.

Here's a cake you can make in celebration of no longer living in FLorida! :leaving:

picture.php?albumid=649&pictureid=2772

Ew. No. Just no.

Actually the whole cake looks cool, but gives me the willies when sliced.

Yes, it is a huge issue for the Everglades/South Florida. It's a full time job for nuisance animal officers.

They're mainly in the Everglades, not around Disney. Although I wouldn't mind a few making their way up to where I live in Tampa in 2 weeks to swallow some protestors and/or media who will be here for the political convention. ;)

The Everglades is not for the faint of heart - a few weeks ago, a guide had his hand bitten off by an alligator down there. They tried to re-attach his hand, but it failed. (After he got out of the hospital, he was arrested and charged with feeding the alligators.) Those poor people in his airboat tour got more than they bargained for!

Yeah...there are good reasons for laws against feeding the gators! The guy lost his hand but think of what he would have lost if one of the small people of his tour had been injured or killed instead of him. (Not trying to sound mean...I just think it foolish for those tour operators to not foresee consequences.)

Yes, it's a very serious problem. I thought they passed a law recently that all exotic pets are supposed to be chipped. That way if one is found "in the wild" the owner can be tracked down. Not sure how effective that will be.

This is a good idea. But there's a huge underground trade in exotic animals. Think piranhas - there are many laws regarding their import/exhibition, but I've known lots of folks with tanks full of those little beauties!

Ew. No. Just no.

Actually the whole cake looks cool, but gives me the willies when sliced.

I once heard a story about a little village boy (it's a long ago and far away kinda story). He was trapped by a constrictor and to free himself, he chewed through the snake wrapped about him. That's what the sliced-cake picture brings to mind.

Yeah....ew!

There was a report that I heard about in early 2011. A python was found dead with a full grown alligator in its stomach. The alligator had split the python open (talk about eyes too big for its stomach) but both animals were dead. This is a major problem in the everglades aside from the dangers to humans and pets becuse some of the other species that the snakes are either eating or competing with for food or both are protected or endangered.

Now that really brings to mind an interesting dilemma. In a fight between a huge python and a huge alligator - who would I want to win? Is both dead an option? Yes, I want them both to die!

Yuck! There is an 11-ft. long on the lam in my town. Not in Florida.

Python on the Loose

You should really look at some nice property in Kansas. We've got wheatfields and cow pastures but no pythons ... so far.

Here's a cake you can make in celebration of no longer living in FLorida! :leaving:

picture.php?albumid=649&pictureid=2772

NOOOOOOOO! That is seriously messed up! Why would someone even consider making something that ugly and you post it?? LOL Now I'm going to flinch at every yellow thing I see today. I hope you have that on your conscience. ;) lol

NOOOOOOOO! That is seriously messed up! Why would someone even consider making something that ugly and you post it?? LOL Now I'm going to flinch at every yellow thing I see today. I hope you have that on your conscience. ;) lol

Agreed. I'm not going to repost the horrid picture but just for reference, it's the icky cake made to look like an icky snake. The head piece is the worst.

All this talk of snakes is not good. I'm probably going to get leg cramps from being forced to sit indian-style at my desk all day. Can't let my feet dangle because there might be a 17 foot python hiding under my desk. (I assume my homeowners insurance would cover the damage done by the fire needed to be built to exterminate said snake, right?)

You omitted the truly frightening detail: Pregnant with 87 eggs!!!

:blink:

What? So there was a male as well? I hope someone is tracking down the father.

People are crazy.

ETA: But it was found. Whew. What do the authorities do with these animals? There should not be 87 more pythons allowed in FL. ;)

Edited by LibraryLover

The military just moved us down to south Florida in January. Our house is about two miles from the Everglades. Luckily our place is in the middle of the subdivision and we have no lake access.

We have tons of frogs, turtles, and lizards running through our yard. We have only seen two small snakes so far. Since we have a chain-link fence, I'm hoping that that will limit the size of animal that can enter our back yard, so no 17-foot pythons.

We are adapting ok, but my daughter is scared of the frogs because they like to hide in the damp, shady areas. This area definitely isn't for the faint of heart!

OK I just read the article. It's very interesting. They had captured and chipped her, so she could lead the authories to the breeding ground.

And after she did that, she was exterminated and frozen. They found the eggs inside her *after* she had been put down.

There's a Spielberg movie in there somewhere.

It sounds like a really sadistic math problem! "If a snake, 17ft. in length, can slither at a rate of 34 ft. per minute, how long will it take to reach North Carolina and consume the border residents assuming the snake begins it's journey in Fort Lauderdale and ends in North River."

Let's see 883. 63 miles according to map quest and there are 5280 ft. per mile or 4,665,566.4 feet in the journey. Assume also that said snake sleeps for two hrs. per day therefore traveling only 22 hrs. per rotation of the earth. 60 minutes per hr. X 34 ft. per min. = 748 ft. per hr. x 22 hrs. = 16,456 ft. per day. 4665566.4\ 16456 = 283 days before said wicked, evil, depraved reptile is slurping up the residents of North River.

This of course, is not real world mathematics because we haven't taken into account weather conditions or traffic! Possibly some days the reptile would sleep more or less and then there is the issue of getting off the highway in order to find food unless of course it happened upon an unsuspecting motorist in the process of changing a flat tire.

Nakia, you have time to list your house and move. I would think that the reptile would find tasty humans all along it's path...certainly the residents of Jacksonville, Savannah, and Charleston should take cover!

Faith

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

I think that you ought to talk to a movie producer AND a math book publisher, that is a great math word problem!!

The military just moved us down to south Florida in January. Our house is about two miles from the Everglades. Luckily our place is in the middle of the subdivision and we have no lake access.

We have tons of frogs, turtles, and lizards running through our yard. We have only seen two small snakes so far. Since we have a chain-link fence, I'm hoping that that will limit the size of animal that can enter our back yard, so no 17-foot pythons.

We are adapting ok, but my daughter is scared of the frogs because they like to hide in the damp, shady areas. This area definitely isn't for the faint of heart!

Ummmm, I lived in Florida all my life (born and raised) and I hate to tell you that a chain link fence will not offer much protection - they will just crawl up and over or in the case of a snake, will slither up through the links (I've seen it happen). Sorry. I just didn't want you to have a false sense of security. A wood fence would be better. Please don't throw anything at me.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

I think that you ought to talk to a movie producer AND a math book publisher, that is a great math word problem!!

:D

Why not have an open hunting season? There have got to be thousands of FL hunters who would love to take care of this. Do people eat snake? Bringing home a dear has got to be small peanuts compared to strapping a 17 foot python onto your truck.

Ummmm, I lived in Florida all my life (born and raised) and I hate to tell you that a chain link fence will not offer much protection - they will just crawl up and over or in the case of a snake, will sliver up through the links (I've seen it happen). Sorry. I just didn't want you to have a false sense of security. A wood fence would be better. Please don't throw anything at me.

Hmmm. I guess I need another defense tactic. Maybe something Teflon coated...

This entire post made me chuckle!! :lol:

Great. Just as we get ready to move to St. Petersburg. Seriously, itty bitty garter snakes make me :svengo::svengo: That cake, too. I only opened the thead because there was no paperclip thingy so i figured "great! no pictures!" :svengo:

No 17-foot pythons have been found in St. Pete recently. At least none that have made the news. You'll have plenty of other vermin to deal with, like mosquitoes and cockroaches, and a couple of years ago we had a runaway monkey on the loose for over a year, but no pythons.

What? So there was a male as well? I hope someone is tracking down the father.

People are crazy.

ETA: But it was found. Whew. What do the authorities do with these animals? There should not be 87 more pythons allowed in FL. ;)

There are hundreds or thousands of them in the everglades. They have proven that they are eating the deer, racoons, etc. It's really upsetting. I like snakes, but I do not like an invasive species killing off all our native wildlife!

:svengo:

Okay, we really need to quit reposting the picture of the snake cake! Every time I move to another post I think I'm done, but there it is again!! Ugh. If someone tried to serve that thing in my presence, I'd be passed out cold. Or running screaming from the room, it's hard to tell which...

We went to Florida a few years back before I knew how bad all this was... I have no plans to go back!! I think for our vacations, we'll be traveling far, far north. I think I could handle a black bear on my porch better than a 17 foot python...

Okay, we really need to quit reposting the picture of the snake cake! Every time I move to another post I think I'm done, but there it is again!! Ugh. If someone tried to serve that thing in my presence, I'd be passed out cold. Or running screaming from the room, it's hard to tell which...

We went to Florida a few years back before I knew how bad all this was... I have no plans to go back!! I think for our vacations, we'll be traveling far, far north. I think I could handle a black bear on my porch better than a 17 foot python...

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

Yes, black bears are relatively easy to send waddling on their way. Now, a grizzly on the porch, that would make me :001_huh:, but this is why we don't live in Montana or Wyoming either.

Good ole Mid-Michigan - the only poisonous snake in the state (other than the Detroit Zoo and my old BIOLOGY PROFESSOR'S LAB) was irradicated from this region long ago, the black bears are pretty much in the UP, wolves aren't in these parts either, we don't have the black widow, tarantula, or to date no one has definitively identified a brown recluse, and no gators! We are not bordered by oceans of sharks or hordes of jellyfish.

Michigan is a pit for a lot of other reasons, but SIGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH on a day like today, I rather adore the place!

Faith - stop quoting the cake and perpetuating it's image...it's freaking me out!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

I ran into the dead remains of one about that big (it was hard to tell because it was coiled and smelled bad) in St. Pete at 30 years ago. It was in a urban area, no idea if it was wild or a pet. Seems that if it was a pet it would have been buried.

Also when we lived in Cape Coral/Fort Myers we lived near the canals. We often saw alligators sunning themselves in the streets. My hubby worked at Chico's and there was a small lake by the guard shack that had an alligator in it. He was out sunning himself most afternoons as well.

I was afraid to let me kids outside alone and we lived in the middle of nowhere.

I'll take 9 months of winter and a charging moose ANY DAY over that thing! God bless you tough gals who live down south :D!

I'll take 9 months of winter and a charging moose ANY DAY over that thing! God bless you tough gals who live down south :D!

See, it's not the wildlife issue, it's the 9 months of winter I can't handle. And blizzards. Or tornadoes, earthquakes, mudslides, etc. We may have gigantic killer snakes, but the only major natural disaster we get is hurricanes, and you see those coming a week or more out. :tongue_smilie:

See, it's not the wildlife issue, it's the 9 months of winter I can't handle. And blizzards. Or tornadoes, earthquakes, mudslides, etc. We may have gigantic killer snakes, but the only major natural disaster we get is hurricanes, and you see those coming a week or more out. :tongue_smilie:

:iagree::iagree:

I'll take sweltering, humid heat and huge snakes any day over shoveling snow (....not that I've ever shoveled snow in my life, but I don't think I can handle it). And I know I couldn't handle going without sunshine all winter long.

FAITH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GET YOUR PATRIOT MISSLES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(YOU STILL HAVE THEM FROM LAST TIME, RIGHT?!!!!)

Do you think I"m safe from that monstrosity here in Connecticut?! Because I'm about to go to bed, and our bedroom is on the third floor, but you can't be too careful......

SHUDDER......

astrid