Menu

I was told recently that I'm no longer a "real" homeschooler because two of my sons are now in public school. I asked the stay-home ds what he'd like to be called now, as apparently he's not really homeschooled, and he suggested "educational anarchist." Yup, that's my kid.

:D Love it! So, what does that make you?

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The biggest homeschool group in our area won't let TNVA families participate. it ended up being a real boon for our smaller group that didn't have such restrictions-several of the parents who regularly sponsored clubs/activities were TNVA and brought their activities/groups with them.

I swear, someone on this board posted something very similar to me a couple years ago...

Bingo. There are plenty here who believe the very same thing. There are plenty in our local groups that believe the same thing. I use a public charter. I also choose our curriculum and teach it, am responsible for their learning, and reassess each year what is best for my family. If I think a charter is best, I don't care anymore that people call my kids PS kids. Whatever.

I will say though that those that seek to divide are only making themselves weaker while thinking they are making themselves stronger. A smaller group has less power, less voice. CA did have a homeschooling challenge to it's legality in the last few years. Those of us who are not "really" homeschoolers stood alongside those "real" homeschoolers in writing and calling our representatives and standing for every single parent's right to choose what is best for his or her own child.

I have heard the argument that every charter user here undermines those who choose to file independent, and that the state will go to charter only method of alternative schooling. Baloney. Most in control here detest charters. They funnel off government $ without allowing full government control as they have over the more traditional schools. Charters take flak from both sides. Some are more traditional minded and some more towards the relaxed homeschooling approach, but they have to fight every year for less and less money. The state would probably rather they disappear rather than those families who go totally independent, costing the state zero. Our schools are overcrowded to the max here, and our homeschooling/charter population is quite large.... the school system would be in very very bad shape if all those kids slammed into the traditional PS system.

ok.. You asked for it. Give me some suggestions for a response. I am half way considering just allowing the discussion to die. Here goes!

In answer to my comment, " I fail to see why anyone would be offended by my calling my kids homeschooled."

She said.

"Because they're not. To call virtual schooled kids "homeschooled" blurs the line between government-run schooling and true independent home-based education. So it's a lie, and there is actual very real danger to homeschooling if the lines are blurred; I suggest visiting the HSLDA website for lots of legal reasons for the concern. Another way to look at it is that it's apples to oranges. One can call an apple an orange all day long, but that doesn't make it so. Is it okay if some like apples and some prefer oranges? Sure, and they're in the same general category, but they are NOT the same thing and never will be. The kids for whom YOU are truly directly the education are homeschooled; the ones enrolled in virtual school (no matter how involved you are day to day) are public school students who happen to study at home, end of story. And you might want to check your state law, as most very clearly make the distinction of which I'm speaking. Does it mean you're wrong to use virtual schools? No, in the sense that school choice is a parental right so that's up to each parent. But with choice and rights also come responsibilities to be honest. And it's not honest to say one is homeschooling when one is really relying on the government for one's kids' schooling."

My internal reply would be:

Well...yes, sir...righty-oh. I'm totally convinced now, and will proceed to hang my head in shame. Will that be sufficient or shall I go online and order some sack cloth?

Externally I would probably let it go because I am a conflict avoider. sigh

It sounds like she has been listening to some fear-mongers, sadly there are a ton of them out there. The average 'fear-ophile" does not want to learn any nasty old facts, so reassurances will be considered offensive.

Sorry you got stuck with this one. I have a few in my life as well. Maybe we could form a collectors society.

I just don't get this. Never have. Who cares? Why does this make a difference in being accepted into a HS co-op or group?

HSLDA put out a bulletin about fake homeschoolers acting as spies for the government.

(I jest)

(we really need a smilie with a tinfoil hat. Can someone make that happen, please?)

Oh, and the answer to the question about "radical unschooler" on a co-op form: for all practical purposes, self-identification as a "radical unschooler" or "Waldorf purist" in that setting means that they want to join your group, not participate in activities/classes, and complain that anything offered is "too academic". Example: a field trip and docent guided tour at a museum coerces the children into listening to information they individually/personally may not be seeking. Or: a book club where the children are expected to have read the part being discussed rather than have it acted out dramatically with faceless dolls and recorder interludes would be "too academic".

(I wish was was jesting, but I have experienced both.)

Silly, silly me. I just want to educate my children in the way(s) that fit them, and me, and our family best -- whatever that looks like. I didn't get into this because I wanted to join a movement with a label. I sort of thought that homeschooling was part of the bigger picture of having choice in education. My bad.

Silly, silly me. I just want to educate my children in the way(s) that fit them, and me, and our family best -- whatever that looks like. I didn't get into this because I wanted to join a movement with a label. I sort of thought that homeschooling was part of the bigger picture of having choice in education. My bad.

can I use this? because that is hilarious

Well, if it makes you feel better....I would LOVE....LOVE....LOVE to have my kids be part of a virtual academy!! Stupid Teachers Union in NY keeps kabashing it!! Seriously! I would feel such a pressure release if I could just do K-12....but oh my....so expensive!

Don't listen to nonsense....People always have to have something to try to make themselves feel superior to someone else. Stick your fingers in your ears...and LALALALALA!!!

Faithe

Well, if it makes you feel better....I would LOVE....LOVE....LOVE to have my kids be part of a virtual academy!! Stupid Teachers Union in NY keeps kabashing it!! Seriously! I would feel such a pressure release if I could just do K-12....but oh my....so expensive!

Don't listen to nonsense....People always have to have something to try to make themselves feel superior to someone else. Stick your fingers in your ears...and LALALALALA!!!

Faithe

I never knew that some people were so wrapped up in other people's lives that they would get so worked up about something so silly. I think I am just going to let the facebook discussion drop. She's nuts.

I never knew that some people were so wrapped up in other people's lives that they would get so worked up about something so silly. I think I am just going to let the facebook discussion drop. She's nuts.

For some reason, people just don't think at all about what they are saying on FB. And there are plenty of nuts out there.

oh wow. Just looked at the facebook discussion. This woman is very hostile. sheesh.

"Why are you so reluctant to just let yourself be labeled according to the legal definitions? Why are you so concerned about being called something you're not?"

Ask her to chill and have some tea, and then giggle because she doesn't know what that really means. :lol:

ok.. You asked for it. Give me some suggestions for a response. I am half way considering just allowing the discussion to die. Here goes!

In answer to my comment, " I fail to see why anyone would be offended by my calling my kids homeschooled."

She said.

"Because they're not. To call virtual schooled kids "homeschooled" blurs the line between government-run schooling and true independent home-based education. So it's a lie, and there is actual very real danger to homeschooling if the lines are blurred; I suggest visiting the HSLDA website for lots of legal reasons for the concern. Another way to look at it is that it's apples to oranges. One can call an apple an orange all day long, but that doesn't make it so. Is it okay if some like apples and some prefer oranges? Sure, and they're in the same general category, but they are NOT the same thing and never will be. The kids for whom YOU are truly directly the education are homeschooled; the ones enrolled in virtual school (no matter how involved you are day to day) are public school students who happen to study at home, end of story. And you might want to check your state law, as most very clearly make the distinction of which I'm speaking. Does it mean you're wrong to use virtual schools? No, in the sense that school choice is a parental right so that's up to each parent. But with choice and rights also come responsibilities to be honest. And it's not honest to say one is homeschooling when one is really relying on the government for one's kids' schooling."

I know someone, locally, who talks just like this, with this very same attitude. Hoping it's not her giving you a hard time. If it is, she won't stop.

I was informed on facebook this morning that I am not homeschooling because 2 of my 4 are enrolled in the public virtual academy. In fact, my claiming to be homeschooling is offensive to those "real" homeschoolers.

It was an interesting discussion. I referenced an article that was bashing virtual schools and I spoke of the benefits of using one. I said that it wasn't as horrible as the author presented, since I can present my views right alongside other views and give Biblical reasons for them.

So despite the fact that I have spent HOURS the last 2 days teaching my kids, I'm just not a real homeschooler. (hangs head in shame)

:tongue_smilie:

Are you kidding me? :glare: Trust me...your a homeschooling mom. :grouphug: :grouphug:

I know someone, locally, who talks just like this, with this very same attitude. Hoping it's not her giving you a hard time. If it is, she won't stop.

I just peeked at her facebook page and this lady's from Wisconsin. so I am glad I won't accidentally run into her in real life. good grief. I have too much to do to worry and get offended over other people's labeling of their school.

I just peeked at her facebook page and this lady's from Wisconsin. so I am glad I won't accidentally run into her in real life. good grief. I have too much to do to worry and get offended over other people's labeling of their school.

Glad to hear it's not a local group, having the debate. I do know some that have her view but not many. Seriously, I think it's GREAT that we as parents have so many options as to how we approach educating our children. Just don't get the attitude.

Glad to hear it's not a local group, having the debate. I do know some that have her view but not many. Seriously, I think it's GREAT that we as parents have so many options as to how we approach educating our children. Just don't get the attitude.

me too. It is awesome. And even if I don't use the virtual school long term I think it is over all great for the homeschooling community.

Technically they are correct in semantics, at least in NC Here if we use a state funded charter, even at home, we are not registered as a homeschool in the state.

This matters to us ONLY because our boyscout unit is registered with the counsel as "homeschool only" and no boys who are NOT registered with the state as homeschoolers can join. This is a counsel rule. They told us that if we allow private or any kind of public schoolers, we have to open the door wide to ALL schooled kids. So, in order to remain in our status of homeschool only, we have to register as homeschoolers legally with the state.

I don't think it is less work or less than at all. It just wouldn't work for us.

Edited by DawnM

Wait... Some anonymous nutso you don't even know somehow tracked you down from another state to share this "wisdom"?

That's a whole new level of aggressively hostile.

No kidding. I thought it was like a local social circle.

She cray-cray

I didn't read all of the other replies, but here in Texas it is my understanding that the K-12 would be considered Public Schooling because it is funded by taxpayer money, uses PS teachers and curriculum, and it counts toward Public School attendance. I tend to agree with that.

That said, it is a legitimate way to school your child and I would never walk up to you and start an argument over it. And quite frankly it is neither my business or anyone else's how you choose to school and what you choose to call it. That was really rude of her.

Well, regardless of if you are a REAL homeschooler, it is clear that she is a REAL b*tch!

:iagree: Legally your kids in virtual school are public schooled students but you're still teaching them and your other dc. You're a homeschool mom in my book. I feel blessed that we have so many education options for our children! :001_smile:

Sigh. That is *so* not the way to gently explain your concerns about the possible implications of a label. She could have shared her thoughts without making it personal and slamming you.

Here in PA, *no one* is legally a "homeschooler". There's no such thing. You are privately tutoring, or home educating, or getting homebound instruction, or enrolled in a public cyber-charter school, or one of a bunch of other options. I *do* try to be careful with my language when writing about legal issues, but for social purposes "homeschooling" is a nice generic term that encompasses a wide range of family choices.

I didn't read all of the other replies, but here in Texas it is my understanding that the K-12 would be considered Public Schooling because it is funded by taxpayer money, uses PS teachers and curriculum, and it counts toward Public School attendance. I tend to agree with that.

That said, it is a legitimate way to school your child and I would never walk up to you and start an argument over it. And quite frankly it is neither my business or anyone else's how you choose to school and what you choose to call it. That was really rude of her.

:iagree:

(Haven't read all pages so forgive me if this is redundant! :))

In AZ there is no gov't involvement in homeschooling aside from an affidavit of intent to homeschool. The reason I've been given for keeping a distinction between "homeschooling" and "virtual public schooling" is to protect our freedom from meddling authorities. ;) I personally don't really care what anyone calls themselves or how they school at home, but if making a distinction keeps the AZ gov't out of my homeschooling then I guess this is the way it has to be.

It's funny because a few years back the local paper did an article on a family who utilizes the virtual public school system. In reaction to the uproar we were interviewed next as "traditional homeschoolers". It seemed nitpicky to me and I've often wondered what the first mom felt when our article came out.

I admit-I'm jealous of the people who can make TNVA work-those boxes of books and materials a coupile of my friends have posted on their FB feeds make me :drool::drool: But Everything I've seen about K12 makes me think that for DD, it wouldn't be a good fit. I will say, the quality of kids' literature books at Goodwill has improved since TNVA came in-so I'm still benefitting (I assume someone donated their children's curriculum that they'd completed-which just happened to overlap a big chunk of SL and WTM suggested books).

Anyway, if you decide to head west, us HOmeschoolers of Memphis folks will be glad to have you!

I just don't get this. Never have. Who cares? Why does this make a difference in being accepted into a HS co-op or group?

HSLDA cares. Therefore, the hs organizations with which they partner care. Haven't you seen the "Trojan Horse" video? There are lots of Christian hs groups that fall under their partnership umbrella. This stuff is included with the SOF stuff, IME, they are the same types of groups. HSLDA does not want homeschoolers of all stripes uniting; it would be against their financial interests.

:iagree: Legally your kids in virtual school are public schooled students but you're still teaching them and your other dc. You're a homeschool mom in my book. I feel blessed that we have so many education options for our children! :001_smile:

I agree. Are your kids spending most of their days at home or in a school building? If it is the former, then you are a homeschooler for the purpose of something like a group that gets together for field trips and such.

I can understand what Dawn is saying about third party organizations like scouts, when there is a certain amount of state involvement.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

I was informed on facebook this morning that I am not homeschooling because 2 of my 4 are enrolled in the public virtual academy. In fact, my claiming to be homeschooling is offensive to those "real" homeschoolers.

It was an interesting discussion. I referenced an article that was bashing virtual schools and I spoke of the benefits of using one. I said that it wasn't as horrible as the author presented, since I can present my views right alongside other views and give Biblical reasons for them.

So despite the fact that I have spent HOURS the last 2 days teaching my kids, I'm just not a real homeschooler. (hangs head in shame)

:tongue_smilie:

I agree. Are your kids spending most of their days at home or in a school building? If it is the former, then you are a homeschooler for the purpose of something like a group that gets together for field trips and such.

I personally think you are still a homeschooler. However the state of NC says that if you use K-12 you are not meeting the NC legal definition of homeschooling. I had no idea it about it until this year the NCDNPE clarified after K12 made a move to establish a virtual charter here after years of there being a charter cap in NC.

So there may be other states that are picky about the definition but I think if the kid is at home then they are homeschooled. Period.

I personally think you are still a homeschooler. However the state of NC says that if you use K-12 you are not meeting the NC legal definition of homeschooling. I had no idea it about it until this year the NCDNPE clarified after K12 made a move to establish a virtual charter here after years of there being a charter cap in NC.

So there may be other states that are picky about the definition but I think if the kid is at home then they are homeschooled. Period.

I agree that she is right from a legal standpoint. But, if you are insistent about using the legal definition? I then think your (general you) argument for little to no government intervention sort of fails. I don't think the government definition should dictate the parameters of the hs group. That is all I am saying.

In our state, using a virtual academy means that legally, you aren't labelled a homeschooler. But that is a legal label. In all practicality, when you choose the curriculum, teach the material, and correct the work, in your own home, you are schooling at home, which is easier stated as "homeschooling."

I personally believe there need to be legal clarifications between the two, but for social discussion purposes, such as "where does your child go to school" - "oh, we homeschool" is perfectly appropriate.

Clear as mud? :tongue_smilie:

We were in WAVA for 3 years. I did get a few slight comments on this board, but outside this board I wasn't labeled one way or the other, that I know of. ;)

Just do what is best for your family. We have so many choices now. Just play up the fact that we have school choice and freedom and that usually disarms people. Now, if we could just get charter schools in Washington state, then we'd really have lots of choices. I have a pretty good feeling though that the school districts wouldn't like that - less control for them, more control for the parents. Meesah thinks they no likie that one.

To call virtual schooled kids "homeschooled" blurs the line between government-run schooling and true independent home-based education. So it's a lie, and there is actual very real danger to homeschooling if the lines are blurred; I suggest visiting the HSLDA website for lots of legal reasons for the concern.

Here's my take on it. LEGALLY, you are not considered a home schooler and, yes, there are a couple of implications to that. But PRACTICALLY speaking, of course you are. As a parent directing your child's education, it's your prerogative to choose the curriculum that fits your child best. If what fits your child best happens to be the product K12 is getting government funding for, so be it--you still oversaw the selection, did you not? Should you abandon it just because of the legal technicality of a word? Is it your job to do what's right by your child or what's best for the HSLDA?

HSLDA is not the final authority on all things homeschooling. They are a political organization with their own interests and agenda. They are not even the only homeschool-related legal organization around.

I would point her to the list Mandy posted. In TN, *technically* it is not possible to have "a true independent home-based education." Tennessee requires a cover school for everybody. Nobody in TN runs their own completely independent home school. Whether the LEA or one of the church-based options, all cover schools have requirements you have to comply with that you may or may not have chosen to do if you had been truly independent. Most people I know in TN use category III and IV cover schools, which puts them under the private school laws rather than the home school laws. Legally they are private school students, not homeschool students, yet I have never heard of HSLDA refusing representation to these people who are "blurring the lines between church-run private schools and true, independent home education." Many of the same people in TN whom I've heard bashing people who choose to make use of TNVA on the "not a real home school" basis are the same ones who would never in a million years register with the LEA (because they don't want to vaccinate or they don't have a diploma or bachelor's degree or whatever reason), yet that's the option that TN recognizes as homeschooling from a legal standpoint. It's a hypocritical position, in my opinion.

ETA: I do have friends in WI, and I'm not 100% sure, but I think there you fill out an electronic form declaring "yes, I make my kids learn stuff" and you're done, so she may not be aware that it's not like that everywhere.

Edited by Mom2Es

We were in WAVA for 3 years. I did get a few slight comments on this board, but outside this board I wasn't labeled one way or the other, that I know of. ;)

Just do what is best for your family. We have so many choices now. Just play up the fact that we have school choice and freedom and that usually disarms people. Now, if we could just get charter schools in Washington state, then we'd really have lots of choices. I have a pretty good feeling though that the school districts wouldn't like that - less control for them, more control for the parents. Meesah thinks they no likie that one.

Nothing is to be feared like choice in education! Heaven forbid parents and families find the best mode of education for their children. I am so over listening to the all the freaking bickering. All that matters (it seems like) is money and power and control. The success and/or failure of the student is collateral. :glare: (Ftr, I live in WA and while I won't use the public schools, the charter schools, the private schools, and I left the virtual academy, I still want ALL of them available as options for other families who need or want them. At the end of the day, I just want to see more children succeed. And that will look different from one child to the next, even within one family.)

Wait... Some anonymous nutso you don't even know somehow tracked you down from another state to share this "wisdom"?

That's a whole new level of aggressively hostile.

no, I commented on a friends post and she jumped me. (she's a friend of this friend. I;ve never met her)

I didn't argue the legal definition because my one homeschooled kid is legally a private schooler according to the state of TN. I agree that legally my 2 in TNVA are public schooled. And I did concede that point.This lady's argument is that it is offensive for me to even say that my 2 in TNVA are homeschooled. Because I didn't select the curriculum and I have to line up with what the state gives me as far as attendance, etc.

Sigh. That is *so* not the way to gently explain your concerns about the possible implications of a label. She could have shared her thoughts without making it personal and slamming you.

Here in PA, *no one* is legally a "homeschooler". There's no such thing. You are privately tutoring, or home educating, or getting homebound instruction, or enrolled in a public cyber-charter school, or one of a bunch of other options. I *do* try to be careful with my language when writing about legal issues, but for social purposes "homeschooling" is a nice generic term that encompasses a wide range of family choices.

yes, this was my point. I don't want to have to have long explanations when I meet people, so I say, We homeschool. Not my oldest does homeschool through the legally recognized umbrella school. My 2 middles attend public school through the TNVA, and I sit at home all day trying to teach them all while keeping my sanity.

...In TN, *technically* it is not possible to have "a true independent home-based education." Tennessee requires a cover school for everybody. Nobody in TN runs their own completely independent home school. Whether the LEA or one of the church-based options, all cover schools have requirements you have to comply with that you may or may not have chosen to do if you had been truly independent. Most people I know in TN use category III and IV cover schools, which puts them under the private school laws rather than the home school laws. Legally they are private school students, not homeschool students, yet I have never heard of HSLDA refusing representation to these people who are "blurring the lines between church-run private schools and true, independent home education." Many of the same people in TN whom I've heard bashing people who choose to make use of TNVA on the "not a real home school" basis are the same ones who would never in a million years register with the LEA (because they don't want to vaccinate or they don't have a diploma or bachelor's degree or whatever reason), yet that's the option that TN recognizes as homeschooling from a legal standpoint. It's a hypocritical position, in my opinion.

That's a really interesting take on the issue! Thanks!

I agree that she is right from a legal standpoint. But, if you are insistent about using the legal definition? I then think your (general you) argument for little to no government intervention sort of fails. I don't think the government definition should dictate the parameters of the hs group. That is all I am saying.

I never really thought about it. I figured it was just another curriculum - too much like ps for us - but until this recent NCDNPE thing never really even considered a conflict.

I agree they are homeschoolers - regardless of legal definition. The parent is in charge of the child's education and is the facilitator not the public school.

I think the only reason anyone needs to be addressing virtual school district students who have a parent at home tutoring/homeschooling them is if there is a legal issue. Groups like HSLDA won't represent them with the reason (in red) above. But if that happened, then the family gets their own private lawyer. I agree it was rude of the FB lady to do that.

Wow! Just wow! I guess her life is reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally boring if this is what occupies her time.

Somebody needs a rabies shot and a hobby!

Why do people have to be this way?

Fairfarmhand, pay no heed to the mindless rantings of whackadoodles.

Faith

A rabies shot! I keep saying people need to go soak their heads. It's back to school time and the homeschool moms are out of patience. :lol: