Menu

does your teen do schoolwork in their room?

Just curious if anyone's teen here does schoolwork in their room? Every time I try letting DS do this, it's an epic fail because he finds a thousand other things to do, and in some cases he sneaks on the computer (to post on message boards... :tongue_smilie:). So we're making him do his work elsewhere where he is in public view, but he's not happy about it. We've given him countless chances to clean up his act and it hasn't worked. Just wondering what other teens here are doing?

The only schoolwork that my kids do in their bedrooms is reading. They are more comfy reading on their beds. Otherwise, it is done in the public areas of the house. The boys had tried, but, more often than not, they ended up reading or drawing instead. We don't allow computers in the bedrooms. If they aren't where I can see them, they are less likely to ask for help, nor are they as diligent about getting things done. Dd's distraction is the dog. She want to cuddle him all the time.

My oldest had to do school in his room because of younger children in the family. It was less than ideal, but it was what had to be.

DD (14) enjoys doing school in her room, but she is very dependable and motivated.

Younger ds (13) still likes me to be involved. He does some of the work in his room (he has a desk and a recliner in his room), but I still 'teach' so we spend a fair amount of time together too.

My oldest (dd14) wanted and asked if she could do work in her room. It's just easier for her because there are actually less distractions in her room. :001_smile:

Same with mine. She is a compliant child and does pretty well with the rules about texting and so forth, so it works well for us.

Well my son doesn't have access to the internet or electronics except in public areas of the house....but I still can't imagine anything getting done if I let him do his schoolwork in his room. He'd read, or stare at his toes, or something.

Sometimes. He'll pop in there for an hour of quiet to work on math or a writing assignment, but does most of his work in our school area. I can see how he would get distracted in his room if he was in there long enough to get bored, but having one specific assignment to do seems to keep him on track.

I can see this is something I'm going to have to rethink with my current highschooler. I thought it worked out just fine with my older daughters, but in retrospect they would have benefitted by my insisting they stay downstairs. The current highschooler is spinning her wheels and I'm thinking this may have much to do with it.

My oldest does everything, but computer typing in his room and I think he will be getting a laptop soon so he can do that too. My youngest will continue to work in our school room because he is less motivated and will do what you describe, find a lot of other stuff to do instead.

Just curious if anyone's teen here does schoolwork in their room? Every time I try letting DS do this, it's an epic fail because he finds a thousand other things to do, and in some cases he sneaks on the computer (to post on message boards... :tongue_smilie:). So we're making him do his work elsewhere where he is in public view, but he's not happy about it. We've given him countless chances to clean up his act and it hasn't worked. Just wondering what other teens here are doing?

My teen is NOT allowed to do school in her bedroom. Her netbook is not allowed in her bedroom at all. If we let her go to her room to do school, she'd end up doing anything else she could find. If we let her take her netbook to her room to do school, she'd spend the whole time on FB or some other social site. Her room is just too distracting, even though we try to limit the distractions it has (no tv, no computer, no video games).

My two older girls switched to doing all independent work in their rooms by 10yo. My youngest is dyslexic and even though she's 14yo now, she still isn't very independent. Music practice is about all that she does in her room and she spends 2-3 hours/day on that. I'm working on making this year more independent for her. I want her to use Hippocampus for history so she can do that independently. Science is actually going to be a class and I'm hoping she can do the work for it without me sitting right next to her. Math is still going to be a grind. We're using Movies as Literature for English and since I need to see the movies too and then we need to discuss them, that won't be an independent thing either. Spanish will be independent on the computer with Visual Link.

How do those that have their older student stay in the "public area" of the home, deal with noise, etc. from younger siblings? I would love to have ds in the living room (and am sure he would work more efficiently!), but can't seem to keep the noise level down, and avoir constant interruption by ds2.5...

Let me in on your secret...:)

How do those that have their older student stay in the "public area" of the home, deal with noise, etc. from younger siblings? I would love to have ds in the living room (and am sure he would work more efficiently!), but can't seem to keep the noise level down, and avoir constant interruption by ds2.5...

Let me in on your secret...:)

Ipod with sound blocking earbuds such as these and a white noise app.

:seeya:

Just curious if anyone's teen here does schoolwork in their room? Every time I try letting DS do this, it's an epic fail because he finds a thousand other things to do, and in some cases he sneaks on the computer (to post on message boards... :tongue_smilie:).

My kids have never asked to do school work in their room but this has made me think what my response would be if they did.

I love to say YES and try to work things so if NO is said, my kids are the one saying no.

After being asked I would ask myself what is the point? Answer...to get his work done. (the difference is not being to get his work done in the kitchen or at a desk...just to get his work done)

SO "Yes, DD you may do your work in your room as long as you complete your work for the day. Tomorrow when you ask if you can do work in your room I will ask if you completed your work today. If you answer no you did not complete your work, then the answer for tomorrows working in your room will be no. If you answer yes, you completed your work today then you will be able to answer yes to working in your room tomorrow. This is completely up to you. You know what I require....now what will you choose?":glare:

I would not herd him about his work that day. Let him make his choice and the next day benefit or suffer the consequence. (life lesson learned in this way). The next day when he asks "mom, can I?" The answer is .. "You tell me, based on your work yesterday, can you?;)

You mentioned it did not work before. I would address that this way.

"We tried working in your room last year and you were not mature enough to be responsible to complete your work in your room. You are growing more each day. I have seen you maturing so lets try it again. As long as you complete your work for each day you may do your work in your room the next day. Tomorrow when you ask if you can do work in your room I will ask if you completed your work today. If you answer no you did not complete your work, then the answer for tomorrows working in your room will be no. If you answer yes, you completed your work today then you will be able to answer yes to working in your room tomorrow. This is completely up to you. You know what I require....now what will you choose?"

I know in the past I have thought my children mature or responsible enough for something to later have to revisit it with them. In those cases I say I am sorry I thought you were ready for this freedom/responsibility but it appears you are not. We are working each day to grow you into a responsible adult. We will try this again another time and I am sure you will be ready for it then.

When my kids were younger they would pull the "you never let me" routine. one day it dawned on me that was not true. I would let them, their own choices or the results of their choices were not letting them do such and such. That was huge for me! Now I tell them if they are mad about the result of their choice they should be mad at themselves. They are the ones that can do something about it. Make a different choice.:)

May you and your son work out a plan that works for you both.:seeya:

I would if I had a room :lol:. I am a very easily distracted person who has trouble dealing with their own distractions let alone other noises and activities . When the house is empty and quite I usually finish about an average of 3 to 4 times faster only because there is nothing to distract me. For example when my family is around me and there is noise such as the TV, animals playing and my sister getting a lesson it might take me a few hours to wrap up one subject but when I am alone it gets done in about an hour or less. My solution has been to wait till every one falls asleep and work at night or to try and distract myself with some sort of music.

My teen does most of his work in his room; anything on the computer (currently: grammar, Bible, IT program) is done in the family room. He has a computer in his room, but it is not hooked up to the internet (we have 3 laptops in the family room for that).

He is *very* good about getting his work done, and I have no problem allowing him. Dd on the other hand, well, she works in the family room, where my Dh is there to prod her to get back to her work :) she is my day dreaming, easily distracted child. I know she would not be able to work in her room: nothing would get done. Plus, she likes to be where other people are, so I don't even think she would ask.

My 15yo does. He's pretty diligent with his schoolwork though. (And our computer filter blocks access to certain websites during school hours.;) )

My almost 14yo typically does his at the dining room table. He used to have trouble getting distracted even THERE!:tongue_smilie: I'd look up and he'd be gone. He has FINALLY gotten better about it though. So now we mutually agree to have him do his work at the table.

My 12yo does it in her room. But I have to make sure she does it all. She tends to skip the subjects she doesn't like.:glare:

My three oldest worked in their room, but there were littles around being loud at the time. My 15yo dd tried doing some work in her room last year, but took absolutely forever to get anything done. Everyone will have to stay in the living room or school area next year, so that I can keep schoolwork happening.