Menu

Does anyone want to talk about baby names?

I know it is ridiculously early, but a girl has the right to dream, doesn't she?

I'm looking for on old fashioned, not popular, feminine, three syllable girl name....preferably French. Oh, yeah and the meaning is important too. I neglected to place enough weight on that with Miss Bossy, and I ended up giving her a name that means Famous Warrior and a middle name that means Mighty in Battle. Poor kid never stood a chance.

So far I have:

Madeleine Claire

Henry Caleb

Olivia Anne

Louisa Maudie

And Vivienne Jackson

Each child's middle name is named after a family member.

If I have a boy, i'll name him Paul Edward after my dad. Fortunately, Dh's dad had the same middle name, so I'm good there.

If I have a girl, her middle name will be Ruth after my MIL.

I just haven't found the perfect girl's name yet.

We like Emmeline Ruth, but I'm afraid everyone will just call her Emma which is way too popular.

I also like Felicity Ruth because it means Happy Companion. I'm going to need a happy companion if I'm going to be 50 when this kid turns 3.

I would use Genevieve, my own middle name, but it doesn't sound right with Ruth, and my brother did ask me to save it for him to use.

are there another first girls name that would go better with the names of the kids I already have?

I love Eleanor. I need to go see what it means. Sun Ray, or Shining Light. that sounds nice.

I like Alice, but I think it needs to be longer to fit in with our other girl names.

I love Meredith, but I already have a niece named that.

Felicity might really be it.

You could use Emmeline Ruth and either don't let people nickname her (it can usually be done with persistence :tongue_smilie: -- we have a Will that I did NOT want to be called Willy and I had to correct people a bit the first couple of years), OR if you don't mind a nickname, use Lina. It sounds lovely with your other kids' names. I know an Akalina that's called Lina; very pretty.

ETA -- Well, that might only work if Emmaline is pronounced emma-leen which I realized after I posted it might not be. More likely emma-line.

Edited by milovaný

I like Felicity Ruth, Emmaline could get Emma but could easily get Emmie (not sure if that's better or worse to you). Evelyn, Gabrielle, Genevieve, I also love the name Violet but it's not very French... Florence, Juliette, Angelique... Btw, your children's names are lovely. :). We are ttc right now (IUI scheduled for next month!) and I've started secretly thinking bàby names. ;)

Edited by MrsJewelsRae

:grouphug:

Congratulations btw....

The name pondering was always my favorite part. Eleanor is beautiful.

Coralie: little maiden

Aliane: noble and gracious

Anais: gracious and merciful

Coralie Ruth

Felicity Ruth

Aliane Ruth

Anais Ruth

Eleanor Ruth

So exciting!

I wanted Charlotte last time, but we know someone named that who Dh is not crazy about.

I love Violet. I don't think it is long enough, but I may have to name a goat baby Violet.

Miss Good hates the Character of Juliet. She said that I might as well name the baby after Helen of Troy. Those are fighting words coming from her.

I wanted Charlotte last time, but we know someone named that who Dh is not crazy about.

I love Violet. I don't think it is long enough, but I may have to name a goat baby Violet.

Miss Good hates the Character of Juliet. She said that I might as well name the baby after Helen of Troy. Those are fighting words coming from her.

My older sister and I told our mom she shouldn't name our little sister Janet Carol because we would call her Aunt Janet, who was my parents' best friend. My sister's name is Kathleen. I totally get it.

Well, I'm partial to Evelyn (and Victoria and Kimberly).

Caroline?

Lillian?

So I looked on my family tree....

A longer name for Lena?

A longer name for Hattie?

One name that caught my eye was Kessiah...

Pricilla/pricillia?

Margaret? (we've been watching Dennis the Menace so this stuck out)

Rebecca/ Rebekah?

Or a double name like Mary Kate or Lucy Jane or Lila Mae (not suggesting those specifically, just saying such as).

Adela (meaning: Noble; Origin: German)

Adelaide (meaning: Of a noble kin; Origin: German)

Lydia (meaning: from Lydia, Greece; Origin: Greek)

Here are a few French ones...

Abrielle (God is my strength)

Aveline (Form of Evelyn)

Angeline (Messenger)

Esmerie (Emerald)

Valerie (Strength)

I'm looking for on old fashioned, not popular, feminine, three syllable girl name....preferably French.

Clementine or Evangeline?

(YMMV but I like the "-een" ending for Clementine and the "-ine" ending for Evangeline, especially with 'Ruth'.)

My friend is French, and has daughters named Delphine and Mathilde. Either can be made into three syllables by adding an -a to the end (Delphina, Mathilda). Neither child has been saddled with a nickname. She initially worried about Mathilde becoming "Matty" or "Mady" but she's 12 and it's yet to happen!

And not French, but three syllables:

Gwendolyn

Francesca

Josephine

I don't know the meanings of any of them, sorry. I don't know the meanings of my own kids' names LOL.

Congratulations!

Evangeline is the name my best friend wants me to use. Dh doesn't like it because of some poem. That doesn't even make sense to me. I may have to use it anyway. It is so beautiful.

I like Delphina too. I'll look up what it means.

Congrats! I have a Henry as well, I love classic names. I love Felicity, but here's another list for you with meanings, some are repeats:

Caroline or Carolyn (either "beautiful woman" or "free man")

Adeline ("noble")

Abigail (I know it's trendy, but I love it, it means "my father's joy")

Bernadette ("brave as a bear")

Juliana ("youthful")

Beatrice ("bringer of joy")

Lillian ("lily")

These are a few of my favorite names, but I could only use one. My hubby and I have a hard time agreeing, one of our children went a week without a name. :tongue_smilie: