Menu

5'3"-5'5" ladies, I have a pants question

My DD has officially outgrown the kids section of clothing. She doesn't like the super low rise of most junior sized pants. The women's pants that I have held up to her have been way too long. She is measuring in at just shy of 5'4" now and I am sure she will get over that this winter (probably right after I buy her new pants :glare: ). So does she need petite sized women's pants? What is the general height range of petite clothing size? She is skinny but has a slight rear end care of her gymnastics, so any brands that work better for this shape?

I love American Eagle Outfitters jeans. They have several fits that have enough rise in the back. I am 5'3 and almost a half and the short fits me perfect. I wear a 0/2 but have a big rear and most jeans are too low, so maybe these would work for her.

My DD has officially outgrown the kids section of clothing. She doesn't like the super low rise of most junior sized pants. The women's pants that I have held up to her have been way too long. She is measuring in at just shy of 5'4" now and I am sure she will get over that this winter (probably right after I buy her new pants :glare: ). So does she need petite sized women's pants? What is the general height range of petite clothing size? She is skinny but has a slight rear end care of her gymnastics, so any brands that work better for this shape?

My dd reached this last winter. I found some pants at Shopko that fit her perfect and yet they were the misses petite.

I'm almost 5'4" and some petites are too short. She's definitely the tallest that petites will fit. I end up buying misses pants mostly and hemming them.

:iagree: I'm just under 5'3". Before I had kids and I was a skinny minny, petites were great but now it really depends on the fit. You may want to err on the side of a little too long. 5'4" is right at the edge.

I'm 5'2" and sometimes petites are too short. Whether pants fit me really depends on the brand and style of pants/jeans.

:iagree:

I have longer legs and a shorter torso. Many petites are floods on me, even though I'm only 5'2". Some brands now sell lengths that are say 30 inches, which is often a good length for me depending on what shoes I'm wearing. I have also bought normal lengths and had them hemmed.

If you order online, just start looking at inseam lengths. If you find pants that do fit well, or choose to have some altered by a tailor, figure out what lengths she likes with different types of shoes (does she ever wear shoes with a heel, or does she typically wear flats?). Once you have a feel for a good inseam length on her, you can read descriptions of inseam length online and have an idea of whether there is a good chance they'll fit.

I'm 5'2" and sometimes petites are too short. Whether pants fit me really depends on the brand and style of pants/jeans.

:iagree: I am 5'4 and I typically have to shop for a regular size that runs a bit short. I have a short torso/long legs combination that means petite pants look like I'm outgrowing them.

Lisa, do you mind sharing the AE fits that work for you? Going in that store makes me feel like an old maid, but maybe if I had an idea of what to look for...

At Old Navy, they have a "short" length option that fits me well, and I'm 5'4. It seems to be not as short as most petite pants, but shorter than the standard sizes.

:iagree: Dd wears Old Navy jeans. They have 4 (I think) different cuts with different rises and short lengths.

I use Ny and Co. petite jeans. My favorite and they have sales all the time for 40% off. My DD tried on jeans this week at American outfitters and they are really nice as well. She tried regular size and they had been pretty long. I noticed later they had short....but we didtn try them on. The rise is pretty low in the regular pants so it is well below your belly button.

I cant use Old navy...i think they are too low in front....but that may be me.

I'm 5'4" and the petites are always too short. If they're too long, I just have them hemmed. What a pain. Women's trousers should come in lengths like men's do. It makes so much more sense!

I wear a 0/2 but have a big rear and most jeans are too low, so maybe these would work for her.

0/2? I may have to block you. :D

I'm 5'4" and the petites are always too short. If they're too long, I just have them hemmed. What a pain. Women's trousers should come in lengths like men's do. It makes so much more sense!

0/2? I may have to block you. :D

Oh geez :lol:I weighed 200 pounds when my kids were born though

So how are you a 0/2 now??? I must know your secret. Just please don't say diet and exercise, 'cause I'm not down with those.

I really hate exercising. I lift weights and do the lower carb thing. And I don't mean tiny weights, I mean lifting weights with the intention of building muscle. You wouldn't believe what I actually weigh, it's a lot more then one would guess

Ok I don't want to high jack the thread :D

You know, I had totally forgotten that most major brands come in a short length which is actually different then petite. I hope she quickly grows out of this awkward in between size. Well, not too quickly. She needs to fit her gymnastics competition leo until December. Then she can shoot up again.

I am 5'3 and I only buy jeans from Maurices. They carry short. They have a few different styles and the rise varies. I have had really good luck there. I also second Levi's, in short.

I second Maurices. I'm 5'1-ish, and the "short" pants are a little too long, but would be perfect if I was a couple inches taller. I usually wear them out by walking on them. They also carry "x-short", but not all stores have every size.

If one store is out of a size, they'll call another store to hold a pair for you.

I'm also right about 5' 4" and petites don't fit me well. I've realized I'm proportioned exactly right for misses sizes, but my legs are short! :D

I've also had good luck at Kohls... several of their jeans, and many of the Dockers style pants, come in a short length.

And this: Just please don't say diet and exercise, 'cause I'm not down with those.

Like!! :lol:

As far as petites, it really depends on if her height is in her torso or her legs. I am 5'3", but short-waisted, so I find the petite pants too short for me. I tend to buy Gloria Vanderbilt jeans at Palais Royal. I've also bought jeans at Old Navy. They have several different styles to choose from.

I am 5'3 and sometimes the petites are too short.

I like pants from:

Aeropostale (these always seem to be the right length, but I have to be careful about the low-rise thing)

Anne Taylor (I have to get size 0 and occasionally a petite)

Old Navy (hit and miss and I feel like their quality has gone down in the last 5 years)