Menu

Epic Geography FAIL

Mandylubug

We've been pretty geography heavy because it interests my dc and SL has encouraged that. Probably the most useful thing has been the world map at their level on the wall. They are constantly looking up countries and asking questions relating to history and the literature books we read.

I've used quite a few geography programs, but Geography Songs is quickly becoming my favorite. I have them color the countries as we learn them in their workbook and we talk about language and culture as we do it. I'm pretty knowledgeable because of my former job, but any of it could quickly be looked up online.

We just started a world map puzzle (The Global Puzzle) to start off the Olympics and listening to Geography Songs (included with our SL core) while we're putting it together and it has really improved their geography knowledge. I've heard that geopuzzles are good too.

I'm right there with you, and plan to start devoting one history lesson each (history) week to geography. Knowledge Quest has a free geography program called Globalmania - it's not reallly lessons, but a set of resources and an approach to teaching geography.

http://knowledgequestmaps.com/Globalmania.html

We will use Sheppard software online, and downloaded Seterra,

http://sheppardsoftware.com/Geography.htm

http://www.seterra.net/

(this stuff is all free)

and bought some GeoPuzzles

http://www.amazon.com/GeoPuzzle-Asia-Educational-Geography-Geotoys/dp/B000K3BZNS

Doing Seterra made me realize how much I have to learn, and is a great self-teaching tool! I mean, I know a country is in Africa, but when it came to identifing exactly where on a blank map, I think I got about 37% :001_huh:. So this is definitely something we'll be learning together!

Well, that's not epic, and according to the ages in your signature it's not a failure. :001_smile: Seize it as a learning opportunity! Get a globe or world map in the room where you're watching the Olympics and find them as they come up.

For geography study for the school year, you might consider Evan-Moor's Daily Geography (small daily bits), or Rod and Staff History/Geography 4 (larger block once or twice a week).

I thought it Epic when my 10 year states "oh, look Italy! I wonder when we will see Arizona!" while watching the countries march in :001_huh:

We do have an older globe that I am looking to replace. We are considering a large wall map as well. Any favorite wall maps?

I have a laminated 4x6 Nat. Geographic "Political" map as pretty as a picture up in my front hall. We stapled it tight to the wall and put edging (floor boards) around it, the taper down facing away from the map, painted white. It looks as nice as art. I got it from Metsker Maps.

http://www.metskers.com/22264/226728/Political-World-Maps/POLITICAL-WORLD-MAP-by-National-Geographic.html

Well, my husband and I got in a huge disagreement over where Switzerland was located. He said it was next to Sweden. :lol: I did remind him later (after he had looked at a map and realized I was right) that he should never argue with a teacher. ;)

Our child is very, very interested in geography so we study tons of maps in our schooling. His favorite geography series is from Modern Curriculum Press. They are just dull workbooks, to me. But DS loves them and asks to use them in his own time. He saves his finished workbooks and rereads them for pleasure.

He also has wall maps (US and world) on his bedroom walls, plus several atlases and a small globe. I don't know what brands/companies they are from. I would say to take your kids shopping and see what they like. If they are drawn to it naturally, they are likely to learn and remember more.

Freerice.com has

World Landmarks

Identify Countries on the Map

World Capitals

Flags of the world

as subject categories. If kids log in, you can track how much time they have spent. But the site is free and educational.

If you have an ipad, touch or iphone, stack the states and stack the countries (and lots of other geography apps) are very fun and educational.

I'm the kind of odd person who loves looking at maps for fun, and while I haven't passed that on to my kids, talking about geography and making interest in other countries part of life has helped my kids a lot.

If you have a Costco membership they have some great maps right now. I highly recommend their world and USA maps.

That's where I got our set of wall maps. I think I got a set of four maps for $15.99 (if I'm recalling correctly). I only have space for the world and US maps, but that's enough for now. I got them 4 years ago and they've put up with quite a bit abuse and markings.

We use placemats at our dinner table--we have placemats for the 5 continents (Australia and Antarctica aren't available at our store) the world, Canada, Central America and the US. Every week or so we change who has what placemat. The differences between Central America and US and Canada have brought up questions about the differences between countries, continents, states, provinces, etc and even the difference between a capital of a country and the capital of a state/provinces. My kids are still not satisfied with my answer of why there isn't a capital of the world! We've had them for over a year and I am still surprised how much they get worked into dinner and lunch conversations. Also they quiz each other on their own about state capitals, etc.

Wall maps failed for us b/c I didn't have a good place to hang one where it can be accessed readily.

I also like the placemats because they are easy to grab when we are studying literature, etc. They are unlabeled on the back so they can be used for quizzing too.

That being said, we will have more formal geography lessons this year by using the Trail Guide to World Geography and Trail Guide to US Geography (not sure if we'll get to this). I liked this curriculum b/c it can be done independently by my children through the notebooks I am making from the CDs. It is an easy introduction to researching answers on their own. I don't think that we'll do many of the projects. . .

I have a laminated 4x6 Nat. Geographic "Political" map as pretty as a picture up in my front hall. We stapled it tight to the wall and put edging (floor boards) around it, the taper down facing away from the map, painted white. It looks as nice as art. I got it from Metsker Maps.

http://www.metskers.com/22264/226728/Political-World-Maps/POLITICAL-WORLD-MAP-by-National-Geographic.html

http://www.metskers.com/22264/226666/Political-World-Maps/POLITICAL-WORLD-MAP----Executive-series-by-National-Geographic.html

I love this one!!! Any reason why a brown muted color map would be inappropriate for educational purposes?

The only other decision I have to make is WHERE to put it. I have two walls that I could place it above a book shelf or buffet (chair rail height) or I could put it lower, in our hallway to our bedrooms. The hallway walls are empty but I was considering putting a timeline there... but I have about 20 feet of wall space below our chair rail in the dining room that would make a good time line space as well.

I love how this map would be gorgeous as decor and functional.

We use placemats at our dinner table--we have placemats for the 5 continents (Australia and Antarctica aren't available at our store) the world, Canada, Central America and the US. Every week or so we change who has what placemat. The differences between Central America and US and Canada have brought up questions about the differences between countries, continents, states, provinces, etc and even the difference between a capital of a country and the capital of a state/provinces. My kids are still not satisfied with my answer of why there isn't a capital of the world! We've had them for over a year and I am still surprised how much they get worked into dinner and lunch conversations. Also they quiz each other on their own about state capitals, etc.

Wall maps failed for us b/c I didn't have a good place to hang one where it can be accessed readily.

I also like the placemats because they are easy to grab when we are studying literature, etc. They are unlabeled on the back so they can be used for quizzing too.

That being said, we will have more formal geography lessons this year by using the Trail Guide to World Geography and Trail Guide to US Geography (not sure if we'll get to this). I liked this curriculum b/c it can be done independently by my children through the notebooks I am making from the CDs. It is an easy introduction to researching answers on their own. I don't think that we'll do many of the projects. . .

Love the placemat Idea.

I thought it Epic when my 10 year states "oh, look Italy! I wonder when we will see Arizona!" while watching the countries march in :001_huh:

:lol: Glad I'm not the only one!

I know my boys have said things like this before. I asked something about a country a while ago and my son answered: "Texas??" :svengo:

I am starting Spectrum Geography this year because I, too, felt the need to hone in on Geography (but I don't want to spend a ton of time on it either).

I don't know if you are worried about US geography as well as world, but I've heard the Wee Sing America CD is really good for helping kids memorize states & capitals. I think I'm going to get it.

http://www.metskers.com/22264/226666/Political-World-Maps/POLITICAL-WORLD-MAP----Executive-series-by-National-Geographic.html

I love this one!!! Any reason why a brown muted color map would be inappropriate for educational purposes?

I love how this map would be gorgeous as decor and functional.

I think it would be fine. The brighter colors were, I'm sure, more helpful when kiddo was younger. I think I picked it because it looks so much like the maps my father had in his classroom (he was a professor of geography, and had a fat rack of pull-down maps at the front of the classroom).

We have this one. I love it. I wanted something that showed the physical geography as well as the country borders since rivers, deserts, mountain ranges... explain a lot about countries & their history. Also wanted something pleasant to look at since it's on the kitchen wall.

My husband put up a sheet of metal and then glued the map on top. I also had the map laminated. Love it. I cut out pictures of landmarks (pyramids, caves of Lascaux, etc.), stick them on magnets, and let the kids put them up. Also cut out short newspaper stories about world events and we use magnets to put them where they're happening. Because it's laminated, we're also able to use whiteboard markers to draw in different routes, explorers, my in-laws' cruise, etc.

Edited by yvonne

(If you're wondering about the third kid, I skipped him on purpose. He had a perfect map of our city in his head at 3. He is geography bee material, but he did not get it from me. :tongue_smilie: )

I have one that at age four knew north, south, east and west. I was (and still am) floored. My niece was the same way.

You wouldn't want to get lost in the woods with me though. :tongue_smilie:

OP, don't freak out yet. You have lots of time. And what better motivation than the Olympic Games for learning more about these places instead of just where they are? It is so much more meaningful in context.

LOL. I didn't know where half those countries were! Heck, I didn't know some of those were countries. The German channel must have known that many, many people wouldn't know the more obscure (that's not the right word, but I can't think of the one I want) countries were, because they did a split screen and showed them all on a map. I'm thinking I can count that as a geography lesson and call it school!

Indy is actually quite good at geography because he's really interested in stuff like that. He has a huge mape of the world on the wall next to his bed and he likes to lay there and look at the different countries. The map has a key that shows how big the cities are based on the size of the circle that marks them and he's absolutely fascinated by this. He's probably better at geography than I am. Sigh.

We have all of the "10 days in ____" games.

We play them often, and the gets "got" geography VERY quickly! Especially since the knowledge could be used to DEFEAT mom in a game! They are getting really good at it!

They are tons of fun. Try them!

Hot Lava Mama

:iagree: We have just started first grade with my DS6, and are playing 10 Days twice a week - once for 10 Days in the USA, and once for whichever game goes best with our STOW studies for this week. (The others in the series are 10 Days in Europe, Asia, Africa, & the Americas.) After playing 10 Days in the USA 3 times, my son made a comment about the shape of Wyoming - we live NOWHERE near Wyoming & I'm pretty sure he had never heard of it before the game. It's a not a complete geography course, but you will learn the shapes and locations of everything pretty painlessly.

I've been thinking about this. We actually have a wall map and to be honest I'm not thinking my girls look at it as much as I thought they did.

I am really wanting to give Confessions of a Homeschooler's Expedition Earth a try. Its not very expensive and its looks like fun and is hands on.

http://www.confessionsofahomeschooler.com/world-geography

it does look like a good program.. I just hate it when I have to get more resources to go with it. It would be nice for a hands on program to have everything with it already.

We have the Costco set too. I only have the world map up at the moment. One thing I have just corrected, I used to have the map high on the wall, perfect for me, I have just moved the map down low where it is at eye level for the kids. BIG difference:D

We are trying a new(for us) curriculum this year. Mapping the world by heart. I think that will really help with the kids geography.

For us, nothing beat the GeoPuzzles. DS was a geography buff from a young age... he studies maps for fun. But the puzzles were fun and he loved putting them together. He even made up his own wars and alliances with the countries/states sometimes when he was doing the puzzles. :D

But I can't think of any kiddo who won't like the GeoPuzzles!!

My kids are little (4 and 6), but they can name the 7 continents and some countries. I attribute this to 3 things.

1) we are postcrossers (http://www.postcrosing.com) where you send a postcard to someone somewhere in the world and you get one back. When we receive a postcard we read it (we ask that ppl write things about their culture, town, country, or a recipe), locate the place it was sent from, and put it on our wall. When we send one we locate on the map where it is going.

2)I have a music cd that has geography songs and a blow up globe we play with

3)FIAR -we don't do FIAR all the time but we do read often and mark on our big maps where the books took place.

We are doing a mix of Trail Guide to Geography, I have all the workbooks and just pick sections for the countries we are working on, and CC Geography memory work. CC Geography memory work is new this year to keep me on track. I want all the US geography down well before we finish Y4. I love the Postcrossing idea. We may need to pick up some postcards when we are out tomorrow.