Menu

How important is royalty in 2012?

Do you believe the royals still play an important part today?  

1. 1. Do you believe the royals still play an important part today?

• Yes, after all they are royalty with a long history
    • No, they have outlived their usefulness
    • I only watch them to see their crazy hats
    • They should play a bigger role in the actual governing of the country
    • Other

I'm a little unsure as to how to vote. I think they bring a sense of national pride with them for their country. When Will and Kate where in Alberta everyone was going nuts. You won't see people here doing that for an MP. I think they give the people a sense of security as well. There is continuity to things and predictability. They do still have some power, but I think it's more like our Prime Minister in the actual role they play so definitely not absolute power. It's more like a leader that they can see and depend on. Our leaders change continually, theirs doesn't. Perhaps I see them as good simply because Canada is still somewhat connected to England.

Does your question refer just to British royalty or royal families in other countries as well? Because there are certainly countries she the royal family is still extremely important and influential.

I was mainly thinking of Britain since I just watched something about them.

I know the Danish King and Queen are very popular among their own people as well as abroad and Monaco still lives in the happy memory of the glory days when Princess Grace was alive.

I actually feel a little sorry for the British royal family. They earn nothing. Everything comes to them because of who they are, not because of what they do or have learned or make. I know they have jobs sometimes and wear fancy uniforms, but they know they wouldn't get any of that if not for their birth. They are like very expensive zoo animals. They are to look pretty and make people feel good, but that is a very silly job for an adult human being.

I actually feel a little sorry for the British royal family. They earn nothing. Everything comes to them because of who they are, not because of what they do or have learned or make. I know they have jobs sometimes and wear fancy uniforms, but they know they wouldn't get any of that if not for their birth. They are like very expensive zoo animals. They are to look pretty and make people feel good, but that is a very silly job for an adult human being.

I think you may benefit from a little more research.

Rosie

They hold a position in parliament. They are part of the decision making. They are ambassadors for the country. Those are considered full time jobs for anyone else that does them.

You could say the same about any family that has been wealthy for more than one generation, but this particular family has some pretty massive responsibilities that go with it. Aside from their duties within the government itself, they seem to be involved in a lot of charitable work. Also, it's got to be quite the challenge to grow up so much in the public eye; it's not like they asked to be royal. I am very impressed with William and Kate. He has a regular job and she runs to the grocery store. They seem to be good people doing the very best they can given the station of life they were born into.

I'm a little unsure as to how to vote. I think they bring a sense of national pride with them for their country. When Will and Kate where in Alberta everyone was going nuts. You won't see people here doing that for an MP. I think they give the people a sense of security as well. There is continuity to things and predictability. They do still have some power, but I think it's more like our Prime Minister in the actual role they play so definitely not absolute power. It's more like a leader that they can see and depend on. Our leaders change continually, theirs doesn't. Perhaps I see them as good simply because Canada is still somewhat connected to England.

:iagree:

They are pretty much decoration only for us here in Aus but I'd still like to keep them around. I'd so much rather watch them then our own PM and their clothes and hats are better too :D

And of course I'd never vote for getting rid of Princess Mary :001_huh: She makes me happy just by looking at her beautiful family - I think she's worth the money just for that reason :001_wub:

Duties within the government? Duties they are allowed to have, you mean. I am pretty sure the British Government would continue to function if they were no longer around. I'll bet they could scrounge up someone equally qualified.

As near as I can tell their main function is to be present at the opening of grocery stores and at charity balls. Again, not really a job. Publicly funded socialites more like. Well, I guess in this country we ask the same of pretty girls who win beauty pageants, but we don't expect them do it for the rest of their lives.

It just seems dull. A very fancy but dull job. How could you ever feel like you had made an actual contribution to society when everything you could ever want will be given to you? You get an A in that class? Well, who is going to flunk out the king? Maybe someone would, but how would you really know? How could you trust anything you ever achieved? Those princes could fail at everything they turn their hand to, and there will always be someone there to fix it. Or, they could turn their hand to nothing and what is going to happen? It's not like they are going to end up homeless.

And the princess gets her own groceries you say? My, my, what an achievement! And with all her responsibilities. I am sure that hair is a full time job. It must be difficult to squeeze in a run to the grocery store.

I think it's kind of brassy for people who don't live under a monarchy to even have an opinion about whether there should be one or not. But I voted yes, anyway. :)

Well said, well said!!! We in America cannot possibly understand the role and importance that royalty plays in other countries. We have been attached to democracy for so long that it's beyond our grasp. But like Ellie, I voted yes anyway.

Blessings,

Lucinda

Honestly, you have no idea what you're talking about. Queen Elizabeth works every day for the good of her people. She keeps long hours and meets with people on many levels. I admire and respect her so much after doing some of my own research through reading and watching documentaries. Yes, there are aristocrats and royalty that don't work and earn their keep, so to speak, but not all are like that. I suggest that you get some good biographies and do some reading.

Lucinda

I couldn't choose an option. I'm not at all dewy-eyed about the monarchy, but I do think that it performs a useful role. In a presidential system, the president has to be both the symbol of the country and a politician. This sets up an insoluble conflict. By having a royal family as symbol of the country (and saving the prime minister a lot of time on ceremonial duties) political priorities can be seen more clearly.

Just as an example: it would be impossible to imagine a birth certificate kerfuffle about a British prime minister. PMs are working politicians without the weight of national symbolism on their shoulders.

Laura

Well said, well said!!! We in America cannot possibly understand the role and importance that royalty plays in other countries. We have been attached to democracy for so long that it's beyond our grasp. But like Ellie, I voted yes anyway.

Blessings,

Lucinda

I hope that you are not suggesting that Britain is not a democracy. It has (eh-hem) a rather long and influential democratic tradition. Having an hereditary figurehead as a head of state does not preclude being a democracy. It's called constitutional monarchy

Laura

You get an A in that class? Well, who is going to flunk out the king? Maybe someone would, but how would you really know? How could you trust anything you ever achieved? Those princes could fail at everything they turn their hand to, and there will always be someone there to fix it.

Prince Charles got a 2.II degree at university. That's a low-side-of-average mark.

Prince William is an air-sea rescue helicopter pilot. I can't see how one would hand out un-earned plaudits to someone in that job.

Goodness, this thread is making me come over all royalist this morning. I must bring out the flags.

Laura

Honestly, you have no idea what you're talking about. Queen Elizabeth works every day for the good of her people. She keeps long hours and meets with people on many levels. I admire and respect her so much after doing some of my own research through reading and watching documentaries. Yes, there are aristocrats and royalty that don't work and earn their keep, so to speak, but not all are like that. I suggest that you get some good biographies and do some reading.

Lucinda

:iagree: She also volunteered with the Auxiliary Territorial Service, where she was trained to drive and repair heavy transport vehicles during WWII

Prince Charles got a 2.II degree at university. That's a low-side-of-average mark.

Prince William is an air-sea rescue helicopter pilot. I can't see how one would hand out un-earned plaudits to someone in that job.

Goodness, this thread is making me come over all royalist this morning. I must bring out the flags.

Laura

:iagree: Far from do nothings!

Maybe during peacetime their duties seem light, but what about during wartime?

Read the biography of the Queen of England who was Queen during WWII: having to put on a brave front to inspire the nation is not just putting on a smile-- she had to live in Buckingham Palace after it was struck by a bomb, and could not be repaired because the extent of the damage had to be kept secret lest it hurt morale. And there was not much heat or electricity. Visiting London homes/buildings/churches the mornings after they were bombed and comforting the people who had lost relatives-- that does not seem like a piece of cake to me. There's lots of other examples from her life, but it's getting late, so I'll just recommend you read her bio yourselves! Sometimes the royalty really rise to the occasion and behave so nobly, they are great examples to us.

I'd so much rather watch them then our own PM and their clothes and hats are better too :D

Undoubtedly. :lol:

And of course I'd never vote for getting rid of Princess Mary :001_huh: She makes me happy just by looking at her beautiful family - I think she's worth the money just for that reason :001_wub:
All the more because it is not our money? :D

Redsquirrel, us non-Americans don't come here and make rude comments about your head of state and his family. Surely you can express your opinions without being rude about ours.

Rosie

:iagree: Far from do nothings!

Harrison Ford is a volunteer rescue pilot (with his own helicopter). He joked that he sometimes worried that the arrival of 'Indie' to rescue a stranded hiker might put the patient into shock. The Prince William effect might be similar.

I think that one of the reasons for the tradition of male members of the royal family going into the military is the established hierarchy. You are the rank you are, whatever your background. This allows them to have a somewhat more normal career experience.

Laura

Redsquirrel, us non-Americans don't come here and make rude comments about your head of state and his family. Surely you can express your opinions without being rude about ours.

Rosie

I think that it might not be obvious how often we non-Americans on the board are sitting on our hands.....

Laura

I think it's kind of brassy for people who don't live under a monarchy to even have an opinion about whether there should be one or not. But I voted yes, anyway. :)

:glare:

Duties within the government? Duties they are allowed to have, you mean. I am pretty sure the British Government would continue to function if they were no longer around. I'll bet they could scrounge up someone equally qualified.

While I don't feel it would be so easy to just "scrounge up" someone to play monarch, even the British Royals page seems to me a little thin on what role the royal family plays outside of being a public figurehead. The royals do have interests and talents outside of royal duties, (Prince Charles is a big proponent of organic farming), but do these skills really make them different from th avereage Joe?

I think it's kind of brassy for people who don't live under a monarchy to even have an opinion about whether there should be one or not. . :)

I am proudly part of the Commonwealth, And I think it is nice to have a royal family.

America has already voted on their position on Royalty and really should have nothing to say about how other countries chose to live.

Blessings,

Lucinda

I think you are wrong here. Doesn't America have a republic, not a democracy?

I think if you research you will find that many of the countries that have a royal family are actually rated as more democratic than USA. This would include Norway, Denmark, Sweden and many Commonwealth countries.

Edited by melissaL

Honestly, you have no idea what you're talking about. Queen Elizabeth works every day for the good of her people. She keeps long hours and meets with people on many levels. I admire and respect her so much after doing some of my own research through reading and watching documentaries. I suggest that you get some good biographies and do some reading.

Lucinda

The queen reads out a speech in parliament written by the politicians. She gets to welcome the new prime minister at the palace. Anything else?

Laura

she has representatives in other countries parliament like here (AUS) the governor general. they do preform many governmental tasks , more than just a ribbon cutter.

As near as I can tell their main function is to be present at the opening of grocery stores and at charity balls. Again, not really a job. Publicly funded socialites more like. Well, I guess in this country we ask the same of pretty girls who win beauty pageants, but we don't expect them do it for the rest of their lives.

It just seems dull. A very fancy but dull job. How could you ever feel like you had made an actual contribution to society when everything you could ever want will be given to you? You get an A in that class? Well, who is going to flunk out the king? Maybe someone would, but how would you really know? How could you trust anything you ever achieved? Those princes could fail at everything they turn their hand to, and there will always be someone there to fix it. Or, they could turn their hand to nothing and what is going to happen? It's not like they are going to end up homeless.

And the princess gets her own groceries you say? My, my, what an achievement! And with all her responsibilities. I am sure that hair is a full time job. It must be difficult to squeeze in a run to the grocery store.

Sometimes people in America come across as full of self importance and very narrow minded.

I think the royal family is very important. The monarchy provides a sense of continuity and history that we just don't have here in America. Queen Elizabeth has been a sounding board for all of the prime ministers she has worked with, and as far as I can tell, they have all truly valued her wisdom and support.

The royal family is all about service to country, too. For 60 years, the Queen has served her people in a job that never should have been hers, a job she watched basically kill her father. But everything she does, she does out of duty and love for her people and country. Her son and grandson appear to be following in her footsteps in the ways they choose to serve, too.

Anyone who thinks the royal family just sits around looking pretty and opening stores just doesn't understand what they really do.

The American Government has it's checks and balances, The Queen acts as a check and balance in Britain. For one thing, to deploy the Armed Forces they need the permission of the Queen as they are officially her forces.

Obviously, if she says no they can out vote her, but they need a greater majority to do so.

The Queen has a weekly meeting with the Prime minister. There has never been a leak. Think about what a wonderful service that is, for the political head to have a closed door conversation where he/she knows it will never leak. With someone who has been involved in Public life and has seen what the Queen has seen.

The Queen is not tied to a political party. When she makes decisions they are based solely on what she thinks is best for her people, not what will make her win the next election, or what will make France or some other country happy.

Prince Charles has been a huge support in the growth of Organic Farming. He also did a lot of work to stop the horrible 1970's architecture that was popping up everywhere.

They travel and support their people. When the village of Boscastle flooded, it really lifted people's spirits to Have Prince Charles there.

Princess Anne came to my husbands company to tour it, meet people, and see what they do. By the time you hit 60, more people I met than not had met and shook hands with at least one royal. That is a lot of work for one family.

I think the royal family is very important. The monarchy provides a sense of continuity and history that we just don't have here in America. Queen Elizabeth has been a sounding board for all of the prime ministers she has worked with, and as far as I can tell, they have all truly valued her wisdom and support.

The royal family is all about service to country, too. For 60 years, the Queen has served her people in a job that never should have been hers, a job she watched basically kill her father. But everything she does, she does out of duty and love for her people and country. Her son and grandson appear to be following in her footsteps in the ways they choose to serve, too.

Anyone who thinks the royal family just sits around looking pretty and opening stores just doesn't understand what they really do.

I agree. This American has no problems with the Royal Family at all. I admire Queen Elizabeth a great deal. And hasn't Prince Harry served in Afghanistan?

And if you don't care for them - unless you live in a country that has a monarchy - then I fail to really see the point. If you don't agree with that system - don't live there.

ETA: I'm Welsh - my ancestors came across to settle Jamestown - on one side so that's probably got something to do with it.

Edited by pdalley

For me it's all about hats.

But I think one nice benefit to having the royal family is that the PM is the head of the government but the monarch is the head of state. I think that separation is kind of useful. In some countries, like India, they elect a separate "president" to serve that function who is often a cultural figure instead of a political figure.

ETA: I really shouldn't have put president in quotes as that is the title seriously... I just meant to distinguish it from the US's presidential system.

I have always admired Queen Elizabeth and also from what I have read of her parents during WW2 it is obvious that they believed in serving their country. And Prince William has turned into a fine young man, his mother would be very proud of him.

They also have great weddings lol. I remember my roommates and I getting up in wee hours of the morning (in Texas) to watch the wedding of Prince Charles and Princess Diana. That was before VCR's so if one wanted to see the wedding, one had to watch it live, no recording it to watch later.

My heritage is English, Scottish, Irish and French so I have always been interested in British History.

p.s. I also think that the Queen gives a great sense of continuity (sp) to her country

Edited by Jeannie in NJ

My husband is British so we have talked about this a bit. He does not like the Monarchy. I, however, actually find it to be a very important part of British culture and history and even though the political influence is not what it used to be, I think the Royal Family represents and fosters a sense of patriotism. I think it is important to Britain.

I will say, after watching a documentary, I find some of the "procedures" a bit out dated. Such as the bowing stuff. Apparently the blood royal princesses were upset over having to bow/curtsey to Kate and so there was a whole protocol put into place that sounded quite complicated.

I didn't vote. Since going back and reading through the thread gave me the impression that as an American I shouldn't have an opinion on the Monarchy.

I didn't vote. Since going back and reading through the thread gave me the impression that as an American I shouldn't have an opinion on the Monarchy.

As far as I'm concerned you are welcome to have an opinion, so long as it is expressed politely.

Laura

I don't understand why so many (even in England) give them a bad rap. I think they are an important part of English History (and the world's for that matter). I would be sad to not have them.

Ummm. Wow!

Hmmm....I think it's Britain. They are obviously important to the people or they wouldn't continue to support them. I think the queen is one neat lady.

They do a lot of charity work and I respect that. It really helps a lot of causes to have their face and support - it garners more donations, more public attention, etc. I'm sure the charities really appreciate having royal backing.

As an American, I can't really relate to it and I don't think I'm entitled to much of an opinion about it either. So, I'll say that I do watch the weddings and the reasons for this are A. the hats....very entertaining B. the outfits....very entertaining C. the military uniforms and swords, nice eye candy there. D. I have a strange affinity for looking at wedding gowns so I'm very interested to see what was chosen...Diana's was WAY to 80's, and Sarah's was, uhm....I just won't go there, but Kate....nice choice Kate, very, very well done there girl! Oh, and loved Mary of Denmark's wedding gown as well....boths of these gals pulled off a timeless, classic, elegant, tasteful, Grace Kelly look.

I'll vote for hats.

Faith