Menu

Do you clean/sanitize books when you buy them used?

Aloha2U

I just bought some used books and thought that maybe I should get in the habit of cleaning/sanitizing them before I put them away on my ds's book shelf. Does anyone else do this or I am I the only germ-a-phobe!:willy_nilly:

Melissa

The thought never occurred to me. I'm happy when we make it through the day without one of my kids eating something off of the ground. If it makes you feel better, I don't see why you shouldn't, but I don't think there is any medical reason to do it.

I just bought some used books and thought that maybe I should get in the habit of cleaning/sanitizing them before I put them away on my ds's book shelf. Does anyone else do this or I am I the only germ-a-phobe!:willy_nilly:

Melissa

Believe me, you are not the only germ-a-phobe. If I bought used books, I would definitely wipe them.

JEt

I have to grin when reading this. I do not like library books (although I do use them occasionally) because of this very reason. Wiping the cover off just would not be good enough for some of the library books I have seen. So, I have thought of microwaving them to kill any little critters.....I have NOT done it though! :lol:

I have had better luck with buying used. But then I always look to see if it is in VGC or like new.

Many years ago back in high school, I worked at a video rental store and we had to clean the case of every video that was checked in with windex. I wonder if libraries have some sort of procedure for cleaning books when they are checked in. Hmm, something to ask my local librarian.

Melissa

Many years ago back in high school, I worked at a video rental store and we had to clean the case of every video that was checked in with windex. I wonder if libraries have some sort of procedure for cleaning books when they are checked in. Hmm, something to ask my local librarian.

Melissa

My first job was in a public library and my job was to reshelve books. We were doing well just to keep up, and wiping/cleaning books was definitely not on the agenda.

Of course that was... um... wow - over twenty years ago. Sigh. :glare:

I don't clean books I buy used either, and I buy a lot of used books. I guess it never even occurred to me.

Me too, me too:-) I wipe my covers down with lysol wipes, can't stand a grimy book. Wish I would have thought of putting them in the freezer:glare: There are some that probably need it. Now for the really weird part..... When I sell my books, I look them over and if the covers are dirty I wash them down before I mail them, wouldn't want to send anyone else a germy book either.;)

I'm with the other Shannon - I've had to let go a little and just be happy when I'm able to stop them from putting a new find in their mouth, licking the public pool deck (yes, this happened), or crawling on the floor in the grocery store. :ack2: Unless there is visible dirt/smudge/grundge I don't do anything - and then it's only for visual satisfaction.

Only if they have something on them or something.

BTW, wiping with wipies or anything without germ-killing abilities won't do any good except to clean the book a bit. If you're really phobic about germs, just use 1 T. bleach per gallon of water... wipe book with damp cloth.

I have some Saxon math books from a school. They had some sort of residue on them from storage or something. A Mr. Clean Eraser worked better than anything at taking it off quickly.

I'm sure library books have MANY more germs than most books I purchase used. Those go through A LOT of hands.

I just try not to think about it. But that is the reason I don't buy children's board books used since they usually get chewed on. Ds almost 2 occasionally puts a library book in his mouth. I try to not let that happen. I heard that there was a case where someone kept lysoling all her child's things like the high chair and the crib to clean them and the constant exposure to lysol caused the baby to go blind. My cleaner of choice is vinegar and baking soda.

Guest sherry

I'm glad I'm not the only one! :-) I buy a lot of books at thrift shops, and although I usually don't buy the ones that look like they've been chewed on!, I usually fan the pages and spray used books with Lysol, then quickly wipe the covers with an antibacterial wipe. I don't do it with library books, because they don't belong to me, and I don't want to risk damaging them, but we do use antibacterial wipes or gel on our hands after handling them.

Sherry

If a book LOOKS dirty, I'll wipe it off. But cleaning and sanitizing are two different things. I don't know how you could truly sanitize an entire book. We're more of a hand-washing family.

Really! All I could think is that it would have to involve high temp steaming?! Maybe baking? Something with aerosolized chlorine? lol...

I just don't think truly "sanitizing" would be possible with household materials without damaging the books.

But then, I'm really not worried about it either.

The thought never occurred to me. I'm happy when we make it through the day without one of my kids eating something off of the ground. If it makes you feel better, I don't see why you shouldn't, but I don't think there is any medical reason to do it.

:iagree:

I'm from the "it's good for kids to be exposed to some germs" school of thought...so NO WAY! :001_smile:
Not that I'd thought about this before, but now that I have... my thoughts exactly. :)

Melissa

My personal suspicion is that the West is over-sanitised, rather than under. I like Penelope Leach's suggestion to worry about wet dirt (where bacteria/viruses may grown) and ignore dry dirt.

Laura

I'm from the "it's good for kids to be exposed to some germs" school of thought...so NO WAY! :001_smile:

Bill

Here too.

I suppose if I got one that was sticky or had had something one it I'd try to get it off. Otherwise no, I've never cleaned the few used books that I've purchased.

I saw freezing books mentioned as an option for sanitizing books. Freezing does not kill bacteria. It simply prevents them from growing while they are cold. As Abbeyj said you would have to find some way to heat all the bacteria in order to destroy them.

I'm glad I'm not the only one! :-) I buy a lot of books at thrift shops, and although I usually don't buy the ones that look like they've been chewed on!, I usually fan the pages and spray used books with Lysol, then quickly wipe the covers with an antibacterial wipe. I don't do it with library books, because they don't belong to me, and I don't want to risk damaging them, but we do use antibacterial wipes or gel on our hands after handling them.

Sherry

I think I've found my long-lost twin - I do the same thing! ;)

I think the only thing I'd be tempted to do is dry ice to kill any book lice. Our library has them, and it heebes me out no end to be reading a book and have one of the little critters scamper across the page. *blech*

:ohmy: I've never seen book lice! I'm thinking I should google, but, yuck!, I don't really want to.

I think the only thing I'd be tempted to do is dry ice to kill any book lice. Our library has them, and it heebes me out no end to be reading a book and have one of the little critters scamper across the page. *blech*

I never thought about what those little bugs were called...new word for the day...book lice :D

I am more afraid of the commercial germ-killers that are on the market than I am of any germs that might be hanging around a book, so no, I do not clean used or library books.

In fact, I work in a library. We do not "sanitize" returned books or DVDs or cds. They are turned in, chucked on a book truck, and reshelved.

Occasionally someone returns a book or dvd that has roaches in it. We throw away the books but we keep the dvds.

Tara

I'm not in the "must clean used books camp" but I was wondering if anyone knows how to get that old musty smell out of some used books...

Amanda

Put them in an enclosed box or bag with lots of crumpled newspaper. Leave this for a few days. The paper will absorb the musty smell pretty well.

I must say that I have throughly enjoyed reading this thread. I have laughed most of the way through it.

I personally wipe grungy books and if something truly atrocious happens to it (like my dd5 getting sick and well....you know.... the cover of her story book was covered in her supper:ack2:) That one I took to the sink and washed it. Now it is all wavy:tongue_smilie:I still can't get passed what happened to Franklin that I haven't let her have it back yet. (oh yes, I did spray lysol over the whole thing as well) I may have to pitch it. What do you all think? Good thing it was a cheap book.

Really! All I could think is that it would have to involve high temp steaming?! Maybe baking? Something with aerosolized chlorine? lol...

I just don't think truly "sanitizing" would be possible with household materials without damaging the books.

But then, I'm really not worried about it either.

Really, Abbey, you must get this from your mom. I seem to remember a certain incident you mentioned about your sister's boots catching on fire in the microwave? :D

-Dana

I buy a huge amount of second hand books, I don't worry about germs at all. I am a firm believer on exposing children to things like second hand books, and letting them build up their immune system .

Same here.

We have lots of used books & use the library often. I will wipe off a book cover if it feels grimy and avoid books that smell like mold or smoke, but I do those things because of sensory reasons rather than 'germ avoidance' reasons. :001_smile:

Melissa

I work at the library and we could never clean ever book that came in. We will wipe covers that are particularly gross with a cleaning solution.

It's disgusting what some people will put in the book drop without even bothering to clean up. Lots of sticky kids picture books.

We do have volunteers go through and clean off the covers of picture books from time to time.

I am more afraid of the commercial germ-killers that are on the market than I am of any germs that might be hanging around a book, so no, I do not clean used or library books.

In fact, I work in a library. We do not "sanitize" returned books or DVDs or cds. They are turned in, chucked on a book truck, and reshelved.

Occasionally someone returns a book or dvd that has roaches in it. We throw away the books but we keep the dvds.

Tara

OMG, I hope that never happens where I work...I think that would be the end of my job. Those critters will follow you home :scared:

Yes, I've done this, particularly with books that look really old and that I've gotten at a garage/library sale. Made me feel better to wipe the covers.

I'd highly recommend a simple water and bleach solution (10:1) to sanitize. Got this recipe from medical professional relatives who told me that this is basically what they use at the hospital. Imagine all the stuff they're trying to kill there. Plus, it's easy to make and CHEAP. I keep it in a labeled spray bottle next to my Oxi Clean mix.

Book lice -- yikes! Ignorance was bliss....