Menu

Holy cow! (female TMI)

OK, mom's who've btdt with their girls, I could use some pointers. My 8 yo (turning 9 in 2 months) started her period.

She is delighted, literally like this: :D

(poor dear has no idea that there's a downside to this experience.... but I'm not going to burst her bubble)

On the outside I am: :) :grouphug: and :001_wub:.

On the inside I am: :eek::crying::willy_nilly: and of course :001_wub:

So now to my TMI question:

She's young but not small (about 4'6"/100 lb). Can she wear a tampon? Is she too young? She's LONGING to use them, but I don't use them, so it's totally out of my comfort zone. I mean, I can figure it out (not too complicated) but I don't know the difference between brands/styles, etc. Also can she swim in tampons? Any other tampon details I should know (so I sound smart when I explain it to her :~) )

ALSO... if your DD started early (before 10 or so?) did her hormones settle down by the time she was a teenager? I'm thinking that might be a possible silver lining of all this. Am I just dreaming?

She's walking around saying that she's a woman now. ::sigh::

I'm not ready for this. Is it normal for ME not to feel ready? Although, I have no excuse. I think it was just over a year ago that her pediatrician told me, "She's going to start her period in about a year." Color me impressed by her ability to predict this! I guess I've just been in denial. I wanted DD to hold out until she was 10, as if she has a choice. But I never claimed to be rational about this topic.

Tampax makes a slim fit/slender tampon - they are in a purple wrapper. Dd has used these in the past (she started just before her 11th birthday) I believe we also found them in CVS brand.

The American Girl book The Care and Keeping of You has an excellent explanation on how to use tampons.

:grouphug: I wasn't ready for it when dd was almost 11! She wasn't either. She has been less than impressed with the whole process. I keep telling her that 30 years in I feel the same way. For some reason she doesn't find this comforting:lol:

Edited by StillLearning

I second the slim tampons. My older dd wears them, but my younger prefers pads. Yes, she can swim while using a tampon. The whole hormone settling down thing, maybe . . . but teen girls are just going to be emotional, I think. :tongue_smilie:

Tampax makes a slim or "teen" version. Brightly colored box and all. Just a PSA: A woman we know got toxic shock syndrome and almost died. Her team of doctors believe it was because she was using store brand tampons. They said they typically contain more chemicals to bind them together, as opposed to cotton strands. I'd make sure to buy store brand for a young girl, myself.

No experience with tampons (my dd is forgetful, and that is not something that can be forgotten without bad consequences), but the hormones do settle down. My dd gets a bit irrational right before she starts, but she is much happier now and wants to play with her brothers and is back to her hugging and snugging self.

I have a slim, ummmm, canal (ack cant believe I said that) and I use the slim ones when I have to use them, but definitely have a good talk about TSS and how dangerous it can be. I think personally, I would give her a few months to adjust to "being a woman" and then let her try the tampons. I am not a huge fan of them myself, but for no other reason than I find them uncomfortable.

Oh, and brand makes a difference for me. I hate Tampax but can wear Kotex comfortably. There is a site, I can not remember the name, but it sends out samples of several different ones...

Being so young she may find that though she wants to use a tampon she can't. I know when I first wanted to start using them because I was in swimming lessons, I couldn't get them in because of my hymen (I started my period at 10).

I second the comment as well about brand making a difference. I can only use Tampax, any other brand and I get a rash and irritation from it, a reaction to 1 of the materials they use.Store brand is the worst offender for me. The savings at the register is so not worth the discomfort.

I would definitely make sure she is well versed in TSS and how often to be changing the tampon. I also know someone who was diagnosed with TSS, they did not almost die but they were quite sick. In her case it was not the brand but the fact she was going WAY too long between changes because she was using the supers when supers were not needed.

I'd also keep a bottle of midol on hand. I am not a cramper normally, but those first dozen or so cycles as a kid were horrid for the cramping.

I am glad you dd is happy about this development. My dd turns 13 this month and has not started yet and is dreading when she does.

As far as tampons- I was not much bigger than that when I started (although I was older- it was the summer before 9th grade, the day before cheerleading tryouts started, and I was 13). Not a medical opinion obviously, but I would think size would affect more than age in this situation, and I used tampons from day one. (I was terrified of being in the middle of a jump or flip and a pad flying out!! :001_huh:)

She can definitely swim in them, that is one of the major benefits of tampons over pads. Pretty much the best way to figure out how to put in a tampon is trial and error. Buy two boxes of slim fit tampons, send her to the bathroom with one of the boxes, and say have fun. Or you know, the closest to fun she's gonna have poking around down there with a cotton swab while bleeding. :lol: Tell her to aim for her lower back. There will be directions inside the box, at that age it will probably be easier if you read the directions and then explain it to her.

I said buy two boxes because she'll probably go through a couple tampons before figuring out how to get one in correctly. Let her know that if she *feels* it, it is in wrong. Most of the time the problem is that it's not in far enough. The only part of the tampon that should be visible or felt from the outside should be the string.

As others have alluded to, tampons need to be changed often. TSS isn't as big of a problem as it used to be, but it is still a big concern, and the best way to avoid it is to change your tampon often. She should wear the smallest size that she can (without being ridiculous- she shouldn't be changing her tampon every hour or something), and change every couple hours. At night she should wear an overnight pad.

(And BTW: I am in complete denial that you said your DD is 8. My DD is 6.5, and it is completely impossible that she might start her cycle in 2 years. Seriously. Isn't she still a baby???? :001_huh:)

In her case it was not the brand but the fact she was going WAY too long between changes because she was using the supers when supers were not needed.

I think a mother needs to have a talk about frequent changes with a pad, too. I know someone who had to have a talk with a teen employee who didn't change often enough. How embarassing. I also think dealing with what to do at night is probably a helpful conversation.

My DD is 7.5 and I just had the talk with her, only because I was thinking how scared she would be if she started early and didn't know what was going on.

I don't think I would be comfortable having my DD wear tampons at eight, only because she isn't responsible enough to change them often enough. Pads are so thin these days, that other than swimming, it isn't a huge deal to wear them...not like in my teen years when it was like straddling a matress pad. LOL

FYI - I had TSS in 1992 at the age of 13. It was serious - they didn't know if I'd make it - I was in ICU for 5 days. Thank God I made it with only minor long-term complications. The doctors were shocked i didnt suffer brain damage due to the sudden/extreme drop in my blood pressure (think being stablized by the ambulance - I couldn't even lift my head up sick) It came fast and furious - 24 hours before I was perfectly fine.

That being said - I do wonder if I will allow my DD's to wear tampons. I hadnt even realized we might be this close to that issue (DD is 7.5 but I didn't get mine until 11/12 so I thought I had much more time!)

FWIW, I also only had my period about 24 hours at the time of getting sick and had used 5+ tampons in that time - so it wasn't an issue of in too long. And they were tampax plastic applicator.

I wass told by the physcians that cardboard or no applicator are the least risky as the plastic are more likely to cause tiny lacerations on the way in which allow a place for the bacteria go grow.

After the 5 years they told me to wait before ever using them again - I switched to OB (no applicator). Icky, yes - but less than laying helpless - but completely awake and un-numbed- on a table while doctors try to insert a 12" straw sized tube into your neck.

When I was younger, I used the OB tampon. There is no applicator, so your hands are more in control of what you're doing. I used just a tad of vaseline on the top of the tampon. I didn't know about 'personal' lubricants at the time.:o

FTR, my mother thought I was a tramp for using tampons before I was married. :glare:

I wass told by the physcians that cardboard or no applicator are the least risky as the plastic are more likely to cause tiny lacerations on the way in which allow a place for the bacteria go grow.

That is interesting because I would think it would be the opposite. To me, the cardboard applicators "feel" much rougher.

Don't know now - b/c I have only used Ob since, but at the time (early 90's) the cardboard had a blunt tip - and the plastic had a pointy tip - kind of rounded with an x cut out - if you can picture that.

So - they believed the "sharp" plastic points - that you may not feel, but were not present in the cardboard, were more likely to cause tiny lacerations in the tissue.

Have no idea if it is true or not, that's just what I was told at the time in the hopsital.

Guest submarines
I'd recommend plastic applicator tampons for a beginner; much more comfortable to insert. :001_smile:

I'd let her try the ones without the applicator too (ob brand.) As a young adult I tried and tried tampons and could never insert them properly, until I discovered ob, and it made total sense to me.

And FWIW, I couldn't use a tampon before I was married / had teA--it just hurt too much when I tried. I think I had a very strong hymen, maybe on the unusual side, as I keep reading all these posts about teens not having any problems with tampons.

I agree, OB is the way to go with tampons, but I would worry that an 8yo wouldn't be responsible enough to wear them. My DD12 just started and I haven't allowed her tampons so far. I might allow one to be used specifically if she would miss swimming, but she just isn't responsible enough to have free reign with them. I can't remember what age I was allowed tampons specifically, I hesitate to say it was high school because I was on the swim team then and couldn't miss daily practice.

I would definitely make sure she is well versed in TSS and how often to be changing the tampon. I also know someone who was diagnosed with TSS, they did not almost die but they were quite sick.

I did have a friend die from TSS in high school. I would worry that an 8 y.o. could handle the responsibility needed, I know mine couldn't. This thread is also reminding me I need to revisit the topic with my 14 y.o. DD.

I don't recommend tampons, not for myself nor my girls. Too much that's just not good. The problem you may run into is that she is eight. She may or may not be able to get one in, even a slim one. I know I was not capable of using them until after I married (sorry for tmi) and believe me, I tried.

(And BTW: I am in complete denial that you said your DD is 8. My DD is 6.5, and it is completely impossible that she might start her cycle in 2 years. Seriously. Isn't she still a baby???? :001_huh:)

Ha, I'll join you in the denial. Seriously though older DD is realllly on the young side and we've seen puberty signs (body changes, mood swings :tongue_smilie:) for the last year and a half or so. My younger DD is 7-1/2 and there's no way she's going to start her period in a year. She is still very much physically a little girl. ZERO signs of puberty.

We went ahead and made the trek to the store. I didn't see any that said "slim" so DD picked out the tampons in the prettiest box (a multi-pack with pink, green and lavender animal prints).

I told her the rules for tampons are: put one in in the morning, change it at lunchtime (noon/1:00) and then after dinner (around 5/6) put on a pad and wear that overnight. Does that sound okay?

(Me showing her how to insert a tampon was hysterical! I'm like, "Well, you pull the tube... no wait! push it, I think, well, I'm not sure.... " She eventually figured it out. :) )

I started just after I turned 9. I didn't work out how to use a tampon until I was 11. I don't think I was responsible enough to use them at 11. I know I left one in once, and found it 4 weeks later ( at age 11).

I have never used an applicator so I cannot comment on that aspect.

I come from a long line of women Who all started at age 9 (at least 3 generations). funny thing is my dd is 12 and hasn't started yet. I haven't got the courage to ask my 91 year old MIL what age her family started, but I am guessing my dd must take after that side of the family.

My dd is the exact same age and I would not let her wear tampons at the age. It's not necessary. The flow is often light and cycles irregular. Also I would go to the HFS to buy unbleached cotton ones with NO applicator. I haven't used name brand products for over 10 yrs. Too many chemicals!

she needs to change much more often than that! No longer than 4 hours, at the most.

Duly noted! :) Thanks so much for all this information. I had *no* idea there was so much involved :tongue_smilie: So glad I have a semi-anonymous place to ask.

I'm starting to reframe the last 1-1/2 years as "world's longest bout of PMS." Her attitude since AF came yesterday is seriously like night and day. She's calmer, she's playing nicely with her little sister, she's more patient... she's like she was *before* all the hormonal craziness, except taller and with a bit more grown-up outlook (well, as grown-up as you can be at "almost-9.") Hoping it lasts. I can deal with grumpy one week a month. That'll be child's play compared to the last 1-1/2 years.

OK, mom's who've btdt with their girls, I could use some pointers. My 8 yo (turning 9 in 2 months) started her period.

(poor dear has no idea that there's a downside to this experience.... but I'm not going to burst her bubble)

She's young but not small (about 4'6"/100 lb). Can she wear a tampon? Is she too young? She's LONGING to use them, but I don't use them, so it's totally out of my comfort zone. I mean, I can figure it out (not too complicated) but I don't know the difference between brands/styles, etc. Also can she swim in tampons? Any other tampon details I should know (so I sound smart when I explain it to her :~) )

ALSO... if your DD started early (before 10 or so?) did her hormones settle down by the time she was a teenager? I'm thinking that might be a possible silver lining of all this. Am I just dreaming?

I'm not ready for this. Is it normal for ME not to feel ready? Although, I have no excuse. I think it was just over a year ago that her pediatrician told me, "She's going to start her period in about a year." Color me impressed by her ability to predict this! I guess I've just been in denial. I wanted DD to hold out until she was 10, as if she has a choice. But I never claimed to be rational about this topic.

Eight years old?

WOW!

I can't believe that. At any rate, she can wear a tampon if she can get it in properly. Show her - don't just tell her - how to do it, is my advice. Playtex makes slender ones as well.

Hi,

:D

Another option is the Diva cup

"It is ideal for young women who are very active (such as swimmers or gymnasts) who are looking for a more reliable method other than tampons or pads."

It also says its suitable for younger kids.

http://www.divacup.com/

Its probably what I will look into (other than cloth pads) for DDs when they are older, if they want something more like a tampon.

Hi,

:D

Another option is the Diva cup

"It is ideal for young women who are very active (such as swimmers or gymnasts) who are looking for a more reliable method other than tampons or pads."

It also says its suitable for younger kids.

http://www.divacup.com/

Its probably what I will look into (other than cloth pads) for DDs when they are older, if they want something more like a tampon.

I found the Diva cup tricky. (And I tried a smaller version...) And this from a woman who'd vaginally birthed 2 babies... perhaps my inner plumbing isn't typical, but I could NOT get mine to fit properly or comfortably.

May be more than an 8 year old can handle (required quite a bit of internal fiddling to position, etc...) I think I would've found that very uncomfortable (physically) as a young girl.

Just gasping that your DD is only 8. Neither my 8 or 9 year old have started puberty. Both weigh about 55 lbs though and I understand that size/weight makes a difference. I am impressed that your pediatrician was able to give you a heads up.

Has she ever seen an endocrinologist?

I have read about a few people who have had DDs who went through early puberty and there was some concern about growth...apparently it is fairly common to only grow a small amount once they start their period/full blown puberty, so some docs recommend a consult with an endo to check growth plates and so forth.

Sorry if I'm butting in...you may have already done that or considered it. Just thinking out loud. That is so early, I can't even imagine! I was 11 and that seemed early.

I would tell her at first to wear a pad with the tampon. It can take a while to figure out what absorbancy is required and I've never been able to wear one without leakage myself.

I use a menstrual cup now, but I couldn't until I had kids, it just wasn't comfortable. I still use the one that is supposedly for women who haven't had kids. So it might not be a great choice for an eight year old.

I remember needing a heavy pad and a tampon at the same time as a teen; it was not fun. I really hope my DD does not have the same issues, but wow, that is one very good reason I'm glad I homeschool -- dealing with all of that at school was awful.

I like my Diva Cup a lot, but that's after several babies. I'm undecided as to whether I'll suggest it to my DD or not. Probably not if she was eight, though, but maybe if she needs it at eleven or twelve. I remember using tampons at thirteen because of cheerleading and swimming.

I've also read things that say that the materials in regular pads actually cause more bleeding, so I'm going to look into cloth ones for my daughter. I know my flow has decreased since switching to the Diva Cup, but at the same time, I've also only had a handful of cycles in the past decade, all while breastfeeding, so that may well affect things too.

We use this site to track our dd's cycles. http://www.cyclespage.com/cgi-bin/show.cgi?sp=index

I originally had it set up and gave them the password with the understanding that it would email me to let me know when they were about to start their cycle, this way I would know why they were being so moody!

Now, the girls are older and they can handle this all by themselves.

I knew two people who died from TSS (a schoolmate and a friend's mom) when I was a tween/teen, so I have never been comfortable with tampons myself. I do allow dd 13 to use them, but ONLY for swimming and sports, otherwise, it's pads, as the risk is much higher the younger you are, and because the younger you are, the less likely, in most cases, you are to keep up with changing them diligently.