Menu

Can we talk skin care for a minute??

I need something for my middle aged "transitional" skin. I love Mychelle products, but when I just got on their site to reorder - the price shocked me!!! $41 for C-serum??? Woa!! Out of my price range!!

Does anyone have products they love that dont cost an arm and a leg???

Although I don't stick with it faithfully. At the moment, I'm using some products from acne.org, an Aveeno cleaner and eye cream I got at Target, and Neutrogena healthy skin for wrinkles and acne.

I generally can't afford the really expensive stuff, but I find that there are plenty of less expensive products that do the same job.

Michelle T

It's pricey, but a little goes a very long way.

It is less 'goopy' than Arbonne, and less scented (I find that Arbonne's scents tend to push me to the brink of asthsma.)

I have used Mary Kay in the past, but I don't think that their standard line works for my age 50 skin anymore. I like Lancome, but it's too expensive.

It's pricey, but a little goes a very long way.

It is less 'goopy' than Arbonne, and less scented (I find that Arbonne's scents tend to push me to the brink of asthsma.)

I have used Mary Kay in the past, but I don't think that their standard line works for my age 50 skin anymore. I like Lancome, but it's too expensive.

Oh my, here's my story...I have used MK but it doesn't work for my 50+ skin, I love Lancome but can't afford it, and I sighed up to be an Arbonne distributor, but the sticker shock of the reorder ~ ouch! Sound familar? Well now we part paths ~ Costco is now selling a lot of higher end cosmetics at lower prices so now I am using Borghese and I love it. They have Lancome, too, but I got started on Borghese before they got that.

I imagine that there might be some slight differences in the department store version of the product but Costco's line works for me.

I need something for my middle aged "transitional" skin. I love Mychelle products, but when I just got on their site to reorder - the price shocked me!!! $41 for C-serum??? Woa!! Out of my price range!!

I like the Olay Definity line or Roc. I went the through the Clinique, Estee, Lancome, MAry Kay but always go back to Olay. Also Avon Anew in the gold jar was pretty good. My mom who lives in S fl and never uses sunscreen saw a decent change in her face by the time the jar was empty.

Holly -

Have you looked at MyChelle products on Amazon's subscription rate? I buy all of my MyChelle products there. It was the cheapest around. You sign up to receive products every 1, 3 or 6 months, and you can skip shipments anytime you wish.

Well, my skin isn't quite THAT old yet, but it's starting to respond differently enough to the makeup of my youth to make me search for something else. SO, I like Almay products. They are a bit spendier than what I used to use, but they have some decent aging cream that doesn't cause my sensitive skin to break out & makes my skin look better.

I really like MK. If you're going through transition, you can play around with the different products to get a combo you like. For example, perhaps you would need the normal-dry cleanser and the combination-oily moisturizer. It's completely customizable. Also, everything is 100% guaranteed, so if you don't like it, exchange it or return it for a full refund. If you find a good consultant, they can work with you and make you happy!

Yes, Yes, YES! Ponds Cold Cream and Ceataphil for Faces, spf 15. Thats all you need! I have used this for years, as well as protected myself from the sun.

And here is something interesting: The day I turned 40 (last November), I was at the dermatologist, and he commented on my skin! He was very impressed with the condition of my face. "You've protected yourself from the sun haven't you?," he asked. I say that not to boast, but to share what a simple regimen combined with sun protection can do :) The two products I mentioned are available from Wal-Mart, and it takes months to use them up--they go far.

You don't need expensive products. ;) Use that money to hoard wheat! :lol:

• 6 months later...

Oh, I have products I love. But they DO cost an arm and a leg! LOL I just borrowed a copy of Don't Go to the Cosmetics Counter Without Me to find the highest rated skin care products--and not all of them are too expensive for the average Jane!

One thing that I learned is that so many of these moisturizers and eye creams (and you don't *need* a separate eye cream!) have antioxidants which are GOOD for you, but they are packaged in pretty little jars...that expose the ingredients to air and light and render them ineffective! Go for opaque, tube or pump containers.

The information in that book is priceless.

2 of the highest rated moisturizers (besides her own Paula's Choice brand) are Neutrogena Healthy Skin (original) and Olay Total Effects 7-in-1 Anti-Aging Moisturizer. Also check out Olay Regenerist Daily Regenerating Serum (under $20!) which got her top rating, too.

There *are* good over the counter products, but not all products by a manufacturer pass the test. :)

That's just like me. I love Aveda, but I just bought the TSV on HSN for Serious Skin Care. Cannot wait to try it. Glad I saw your post. Which SSC products are your fav and why? Thanks!

I love SSC, my fav is olive oil line, I like all the moisture and my skin drinks it up.

I recently discovered Beauticontrol and they have skin care products to meet the needs of different ages as well as sensitive and acne prone skin. Here is a link to a site where it can be purchased. They do also have a 30 day money back guarantee. In addition, the consultant selling it is a soon to be homeschooling Mom as well.

http://www.beautipage.com/ElizabethHulsman

Edited by littlebug42

Yes, Yes, YES! Ponds Cold Cream and Ceataphil for Faces, spf 15. Thats all you need! I have used this for years, as well as protected myself from the sun.

And here is something interesting: The day I turned 40 (last November), I was at the dermatologist, and he commented on my skin! He was very impressed with the condition of my face. "You've protected yourself from the sun haven't you?," he asked. I say that not to boast, but to share what a simple regimen combined with sun protection can do :) The two products I mentioned are available from Wal-Mart, and it takes months to use them up--they go far.

You don't need expensive products. ;) Use that money to hoard wheat! :lol:

How do you use cold cream? Do you slap some on and wipe off with a tissue (I think I saw this in a movie or something :) )? Or do you use it like a regular foaming or cream cleanser? I have heard it is a good, basic cleanser, but I have never quite figured out how to use it. I can't do the wiping thing with my skin because it is too sensitive, but it seems like the cold cream would be too thick and greasy to use like a regular cleanser. Please enlighten me. :)

Also Avon Anew in the gold jar was pretty good. My mom who lives in S fl and never uses sunscreen saw a decent change in her face by the time the jar was empty.

This is very good and not bad when it's on sale. Avon also has a lesser priced line that is very good, too. I like the Hydrofirming cream. Great for very dry skin like mine.

I have found Paula's Choice products to be the best quality and always reasonably priced.

http://www.cosmeticscop.com/pc.asp?ID=575

I'm another happy Paula's Choice customer. We've been buying her products for ages now. I've had to change my routine a bit recently as my skin ages but it's still simple and inexpensive. Dh uses Paula's Choice as well & I've got a set for my 14yo dd also.

Edited by hornblower

I use Olay for moisturizer. I don't wash my face with anything but water, as in let the water run over it in the shower. It used to be oily in the t-zone, so I used to use Sea Breeze or Bonnie Bell(remember that stuff?), but when I hit 30, that was it--no more stripping my skin. For the past 8 years, I haven't let any soap or cleanser touch it, and it is now balanced. I do get some dryness in the winter, so I use Olay now. I also use an exfoliating scrub (the heating dermabrasion kind that's sold otc) about once every two months or so--haven't since the fall, so I need to get some!

I started using retin-A last fall for my acne (yay! no more pimples at 40!) and now my skin is dry and super-sensitive. I use Clinique's extra mild cleansing lotion, but am having trouble finding a moisturizer that doesn't irritate and moisturizes enough. :( I use Neutrogena's sheer sunblock and it doesn't make me break out or sting.

My perimenopausal skin needed something different:

http://www.theoilcleansingmethod.com/

totally inexpensive and the best skin I've ever had!

Jill -

How often do you use the oil cleanse? What do you use on your face in between? Do you use a moisturizer every day? How do you clean your face on the nights you don't use the oil cleanse? I'm very interested in this!

A couple people have mentioned Borghese. I know that Costco sells some of their products under their Kirkland brand, and so are very reasonably priced. My sister loves them and swears by them! I have found they don't work right for me...

I started using Youngblood when I had some skin problems and went to the dermatologist. Love YB! But too pricey to always use it.... I think I spent $48 on my last mineral makeup - ick! No more...

Now I'm back onto my Artistry brand. LOVE it! It's put out by Quixar (an Amway company). I think the mineral makeup there is about $19. Just bought some moisturizer recently and it was somewhere aroudn there too. Makeup remover was $10.... So about 1/2 the price of some of the higher end stuff that I WAS using.

GL! I have tried many many low end, buy-it-at-Walmart type brands and wasted money. My skin either dries out, gets to oily, breaks out, feels gross, looks gross, etc. I WISH I could go in and buy the $5 item, but when you try 10 of them and they don't work right, you might as well have bought the $50 item in the first place, right? Anyway, good luck! It's a process...

:-) Stacey in MA

Jill -

How often do you use the oil cleanse? What do you use on your face in between? Do you use a moisturizer every day? How do you clean your face on the nights you don't use the oil cleanse? I'm very interested in this!

I use it a couple of times a week - 2 to 3. I usually do it before I get in the shower. I use Burt's Bees Carrot Soap the rest of the time and sometimes even after the oil cleanse if I feel like I didn't soak enough of it off. It's weird, I have no more blackheads on my nose which I always had before. I'm prone to some pimples so I put a little bit of tea tree oil in my oil mix. If you google oil cleansing method, you can find more info on the way others do it too which has been very helpful to me.

It's basic principle is this:

http://thebeautybrains.com/2008/03/15/makeup-removers-does-oil-cleansing-really-work/

"When you use oil to remove oily dirt you’re employing the chemical principle called “like dissolves like.†In other words, oils will dissolve other materials that have a similar chemical structure."

I'm about to turn 40, and a few years ago I noticed a significant increase in hormone-related acne. About every two weeks I would get 2 or 3 breakouts and they would last about 2-4 weeks. My skin was looking horrible, and I was starting to get some scarring. I found acne.org (Daniel Kern's website) and bought some of his 2.5% Benzoyl Peroxide. It was the best thing for my skin. I use Cetaphil cleanser or gentle soap (which my husband makes) and then after the acne gel, I apply cetaphil moisturizer or jojoba oil (which my dh found online for me and I plan to use exclusively when the cetaphil runs out). I also bought some of Daniel's AHA on his site and it makes my skin noticeably smoother. I use it about once every other day. I do NOT like to spend money on this stuff. Altogether, if I use mild soap/jojoba/acne gel/aha, it will cost me about $4/mo. That's a good price for me. I was floored the other day when I went to replenish my Cetaphil and it was $8/bottle LOL. I didn't buy it.

Oh, and one more thing. I honestly think great skin mostly comes from healthy diet, lots of water, and exercise.

Edited by Mad Jenny Flint
Wanted to include my final point.