Menu

"Must read" book series? What are your favorites?

tammyw

We haven't read a lot of the series that others have, so I'd love the names of the absolute *best*.

My absolute favorites have been:

- Mysterious Benedict (we love all four)

- Harry Potter (of course!)

DD9 has read and enjoyed:

- Little House

- Ramona & Beezus

- Henry Huggins (really she's read all Beverly Cleary)

- Sisters Grimm (just on book 2)

- ALL of the American Girl books

We own but have yet to read:

- Anne of Green Gables series (have only read book 1)

- Prydain series

I'm sure I'm forgetting a bunch.

OH! We've read the first three Narnia books. We got them from the library and enjoyed, but wasn't sold on whether we should continue or not. Thoughts?

Edited by tammyw

I loved the Narnia and Oz books when I was growing up, plus the Little House and Anne of Green Gables books. Definitely finish Narnia. Ariel's only just started, but I plan to read the whole series with her.

I've ordered the first three Redwall books, but haven't read them yet, and I have the Wizard of Earthsea series, but have yet to read them. I read the first one in middle school and remember liking it.

So many favorites series here. Miss Pickerell and Trixie Belden are favorites from my childhood. DDs are looking forward to the Mandie series and the Addie series. All the Little House, including the earlier ones (Charlotte Years, Rose Years etc). My boys LOVED Jean Craighead George's Julie, Julie's Wolfpack etc. and the Eragon books. Time Warp Trio series is a fun read. Girls are just about to start Magic Tree House series as independent read. Also Redwall series and Percy Jackson.

Not crazy about the first Narnia book. I can't quite put my finger on it. A bit.. Contrived, perhaps? I don't know.

We love the Harry Potter series here too! Ds8 is on the fifth book, and I am enjoying them all over again through Jim Dale in the car :)

Ds loved the Magic Treehouse stories, but I think he has outgrown them.

I am all ears for more good series. I know many like the Percy Jackson series, and ds has just started on the Encyclopedia Brown series. He is truly delighted that there are 28 books in the series.

:bigear:

Edited by sagira

Ralph Moody's Lil Britches series is great and you get maturing subjects as he gets older (not bad mature just serious). You start with him as a young boy learning to teach a horse tricks, but by the last book, you'll watch him save a little town by trading on the cattle future's market in a wise creative way.

Adventurers Wanted series

Blackhearts in Battersea series

Paddington series

The Princess and Curdie + Princess and Goblin

Narnia

Enid Blyton series

Black Stallion series

Children of the Lamp series

Pseudonymous Bosch series

Seekers series

Warriors series

L. Frank Baum 'Oz' series

Edited by shukriyya
added more series

My favorites are:

N.D. Wilson's series 100 cupboards (3 books) and Ashtowne Burials (book 2 out soon).

Anything by Rick Riordan.... patiently waiting for book 3 in Heroes series. We've read a total of 9 books by him.

Also love Artemis Fowl series by Colfer.

When thet were younger we read LeFavers: Nathanial Flood; Beastologist series (4 books).

We've done Harry Potter, A Series of Unfortunate Events, and Narnia as read-alouds. Also several of the Redwall books, she is pushing for more but I'm kind of bored of them . . .

Miss P has read the Betsy-Tacy books, and some goofy mind-candy series from the library that she grabs when we go and reads in half an hour. She's also read a bunch of the American Girl books

I just got her the "second" book in the Oz series, I'm hoping she latches onto that, I read and loved them all at her age. We've done WoO together, of course.

Future plans include the Little House series with both girls (Miss P and I read the first two or three when she was little, probably too little), the Phillip Pullman, Madeline L'Engle, Joan Aiken . . . probably others I'm forgetting.

As a kid I loved the above, as well as the Black Stallion series, Anne of Green Gables, Nancy Drew, Trixie Belden, Bobbsey Twins . . .

Edited by rroberts707

I'm surprised sometimes by how many series we've read and how many are waiting in the wings of our bookshelf.

Magic Tree House

Narnia

Lord of the Rings

Harry Potter

Series of Unfortunate Events

Junie B Jones

Redwall

Rats of Nimh

Ramana Quimby and Henry Huggins books

Loyd Alexander Book of 3 books

Christopher Paolini

Catwings

American Girl

Laura Ingalls Wilder

Raggedy Ann and Andy books

The Enchanted Forest series, which starts with "Dealing with Dragons".

It is marketed for young adult - but makes a perfect read aloud for any kids ready for that length of book.

Freddy the Pig books (with the exception of Freddy Goes to the North Pole) by Walter Brooks.

One of his books is actually similar to "Animal Farm" but was written years before Animal Farm. If you are just going to read one Freddy book start with the first one "Freddy goes to Florida" or the third one "Freddy the Detective".

Green Forest books by Thornton Burgess. You can get most of them online here:

http://onlinebooks.library.upenn.edu/webbin/book/lookupname?key=Burgess%2C%20Thornton%20W.%20(Thornton%20Waldo)%2C%201874-1965

Dimwood Forest Books by Avi. This is a great series.

(Warning Characters die in the series)

Pippi Long Stocking

Wizard of Oz

and many others, but now I must go read to my boys.

We love series books here. :)

The Penderwick books are the only series that I'd recommend that I haven't seen on the list so far.

I second so many of the others, especially Tumtum and Nutmeg and the Mysterious Benedict Society.

Did I forget the Penderwicks? Oh, how we love them!!

I also have enjoyed The Happy Hollisters, though we've only read a few.

We are also going to start A Wrinkle in Time soon.

Elizabeth Enright's

The Saturdays (Melendy) series

Gone Away Lake and Return to Gone Away Lake

and so many on this thread are wonderful!

We are going to read Harry Potter for the first time this summer!

If you want the absolute best, then I'm not sure I can recommend The Kane Chronicles, though DD would disagree - this series has given her deep love of Egyptian methodology to the point where our Roger Green book is bent. Initially I didn't like the snarky conversations, but the characters have bonded and the series has turned out better than I thought.

Prachett's Bromeliad Triology

Inkheart trilogy

So You Want to be a Wizard, et al., which is supposedly better than HP.

Moonintroll and other books

Freddy, I suppose; the books produces fits of giggles from DD.

OH! We've read the first three Narnia books. We got them from the library and enjoyed, but wasn't sold on whether we should continue or not. Thoughts?
Of all the books we've read together over the years, the Narnia series is far and beyond our favorite. As soon as I finished The Last Battle (with many, many tears on my part) the dc demanded to start the series all over again. The books are so rich...so powerful! I think my favorite is A Horse and His Boy.

If I read no other series, I would read this one again...and again...and again.

Skylark series

Cherry Ames

All of a Kind

Royal Diaries

There is another series of 3 books that my youngest dd really liked, but I can't think of the name. It is about a brother and sister, Michael and Meredith, growing up in England just prior to WWII. They go mountain climbing in Swiss Alps, amoung other adventures, and wind up in the US as the blitz is starting.

There are so many good ones that you all have listed! Redwall is a particular favorite right now by my two olders.

Here are a few more off the top of my head:

Little House

Paddington

Hank the Cowdog (esp. on audiobook)

Lord of the Rings

Sugar Creek Gang

Tree House Mysteries

The Adventures of Tintin (!)

That's all I can think of right now, but I'd love to hear what more people like!

ds has just started on the Encyclopedia Brown series. He is truly delighted that there are 28 books in the series.

:bigear:

If he likes Encyclopedia Brown, dd would recommend

Cam Jansen,

A-Z mysteries

all of the Carole Marsh mysteries

and of course the Hardy Boys ;)

ETA: there are a BUNCH in each series :D

Edited by sunriseiz
ETA: there are a BUNCH in each series :D

Susan Cooper's Over Sea and Under Stone and the rest of The Dark is Rising series.

Robin McKinley's Damar books: The Blue Sword and the Hero and the Crown.

Ooh, yes. Except ants ate my copy of The Blue Sword recently. It was like a horror movie. I don't know if I can look at it the same.

Seconding many of these mentioned so far. The Penderwicks, the Melendies, Narnia, Prydain...

I didn't see anyone mention Edward Eager's Half Magic series, which we adore or the Arabel's Raven books, which were another favorite here.

And, no list of awesome series would be complete without MOOMINS!

I can think of more, but they're more teen/YA series, like The Thief, for example.

For my guy this is a read-aloud, but he and I are both lapping up A Series of Unfortunate Events. There is SO much in these books: vocab, puns, historical references, metaphors/alliterations/internal rhymes, etc.

I have discovered another parent at work who read this aloud, and when I see him and something in the environment harks back to it, we look at each other with exclamation (e.g. someone mentions TJ's Hot Wasabi Peas, and this father or I will exclaim to the other: "Remember when Sunny shouted WASABI?"), and my son does this with me, too.

Haven't read the whole thread to see if it got mentioned, but my dd is currently into the Alex Rider series by Anthony Horowitz. After that I want to get her into the #1 Ladies Detective Agency series set in Africa. She's a bit older than your dc. Don't forget to look in the VP catalog too. They have some terrific series on the vikings, OT history, etc. that she has enjoyed.

For my guy this is a read-aloud, but he and I are both lapping up A Series of Unfortunate Events. There is SO much in these books: vocab, puns, historical references, metaphors/alliterations/internal rhymes, etc.

I have discovered another parent at work who read this aloud, and when I see him and something in the environment harks back to it, we look at each other with exclamation (e.g. someone mentions TJ's Hot Wasabi Peas, and this father or I will exclaim to the other: "Remember when Sunny shouted WASABI?"), and my son does this with me, too.

My kids adored the Series, too, and we do the same thing!

I really loved the amazing vocabulary and the very, very clever language in these books. I have to say, by about the 10th book, I was ready to be nibbled to death by ducks - I was soooo ready for them to be over! Had it just been Miss P, I would have probably bailed and made her finish the series on her own, but I couldn't do that to Mo (dd5), she really wanted to hear the end of it. She actually reminds me of Sunny, a lot!!

The Moffats

The Littles

All-of-a-Kind-Family & More-All-of-a-Kind-Family

Cricket in Times Square, and its sequel, Tucker's Countryside

Scripture Sleuth

Encyclopedia Brown

Boxcar Children

My Father's Dragon

Star Wars: Junior Jedi Knights :tongue_smilie:

Mercy Watson

Who Was ... ?

Boxcar Children

That was a series?!? I had what I guess was the first one when I was a kid and just loved it! That was one of my 're-read many, many times' books. :D

Ooops - just looked it up - not the same one. Sorry.

Edited by intp4yhwh

The Great Brain series is a hoot. An older series, though, so might be hard to find.

This was a HUGE hit in our house. Amazon has them for about $7 a book. In fact they loved these books so much I have not been able to find another book that they love. We've been through quite a few.

My kids adored the Series, too, and we do the same thing!

I really loved the amazing vocabulary and the very, very clever language in these books. I have to say, by about the 10th book, I was ready to be nibbled to death by ducks - I was soooo ready for them to be over!

REally? I find them going faster and faster, and I really loved the point in the Penultimate Peril when Olaf is beginning to run out of options and says: "What else can I do?" His evolution into a complex character took me off guard, and I'm enjoying take off on the novel Island in the last book.

We haven't read a lot of the series that others have, so I'd love the names of the absolute *best*.

My absolute favorites have been:

- Mysterious Benedict (we love all four)

- Harry Potter (of course!)

DD9 has read and enjoyed:

- Little House

- Ramona & Beezus

- Henry Huggins (really she's read all Beverly Cleary)

- Sisters Grimm (just on book 2)

- ALL of the American Girl books

We own but have yet to read:

- Anne of Green Gables series (have only read book 1)

- Prydain series

I'm sure I'm forgetting a bunch.

I'm hoping to read this whole thread when I have more time. For now, just want to add a few. I suggest that you also try the Rose years series if as part of Little House you only mean the Laura part. It has a different author, and there were some negative comments on Amazon, but we gave it a try and ended up reading the whole thing. DS thinks it was possibly even better than many of the Laura ones.

A Wrinkle in Time books. Now reading Rick Riordan books. Magic Tree House was great at the right time for it. Mary Poppins, though we only did the first 2. The Buddy Files, Hank the Cowdog (both easier and funny than things like Little House or etc.