Menu

Ever wondered, "What's the big deal about Cuisenaire Rods?" LOOK HERE!!!

Rosie

I've been making videos all week that show how to use Cuisenaire Rods to teach math concepts. After watching some videos by Crewton Ramone (thanks, Beth in SW WA!) I tried to find similar ones using Cuisenaire rods instead and couldn't find much. So I decided to make some.

Honestly, I don't feel like I know very much. I still feel like a novice at all of this! I learned with a completely formula driven approach and so this has all been new to me. I've learned along with my dds!

But I'd love for other kids to benefit from what I've learned. So, hopefully someone will gain something useful out of these...

Here is a link to my Vimeo channels where you can find all the videos I've posted so far in the correct order...

https://vimeo.com/educationunboxed/channels

And here is the facebook page I started for people who'd like to be notified when I post a new video.

https://www.facebook.com/EducationUnboxed

Enjoy!

(And let me know if you have ideas for other videos!)

EDIT: Eventually, http://www.educationunboxed.com/ will have all the videos organized even better than Vimeo. (Right now it just takes you to vimeo.) And eventually after that, it will be a blog (not just for math stuff). Just wanted to post the link in case this thread gets dug up in the future!

Edited by Rosie

These are terrific videos! My son used Cuisenaire rods in kindergarten. (He is now 39!) I could never figure out why more teachers didn't use them. I've been using them with my 5-year-old granddaughter, and I appreciate seeing your beautiful kids in action! Thank you!

I am watching more of your videos, and I am starting to freak out. I will be homeschooling my will-be 6th grader, 3rd grader, and K'er next year (for the first time). I have already purchased Horizons to use for our math curriculum. Is there a way to incorporate this type of teaching with Horizons? Or do I need to get Miquon instead?

I am watching more of your videos, and I am starting to freak out. I will be homeschooling my will-be 6th grader, 3rd grader, and K'er next year (for the first time). I have already purchased Horizons to use for our math curriculum. Is there a way to incorporate this type of teaching with Horizons? Or do I need to get Miquon instead?

I imagine you could use them with any curriculum. It's just math! :001_smile: Just look ahead in Horizons and introduce the concepts with the rods before teaching from the book. I'm pretty sure that Horizons doesn't teach the mental math strategies, though, and those are VERY helpful, so you might want to go over those especially with your 3rd and 6th graders.

Miquon is great (more than great!), even as just a supplement. The books are really cheap, but to make it cheaper you could put the pages in clear page protectors in a 3-ring binder so all your kids could use the same book. (Use dry erase markers.) That's what we did for the first 3 Miquon books. Also, check paperbackswap.com or bookmooch.com for the books or the Lab Sheet Annotations. They are there a lot of times.

HTH!

One more question...how big of a set do you recommend?

Thanks for your help!

We have 2 small group sets, but 1 would be fine. I just recently got the extra set for tutoring purposes. We got by fine with just one. Sometimes it's actually good to have less because if you run out of one color, you have to use others to make up that length and they get to practice their number bonds some more!

We have plastic rods, but I think I might like wood better. Wood would be better to build with because they are more flat on the sides. Plastic bubbles out a bit so you can't build a wall. Plastic is more durable, though.

You'll also want a set of base ten hundred flats.

You can find what you need at rainbow resource.

I imagine you could use them with any curriculum. It's just math! :001_smile: Just look ahead in Horizons and introduce the concepts with the rods before teaching from the book. I'm pretty sure that Horizons doesn't teach the mental math strategies, though, and those are VERY helpful, so you might want to go over those especially with your 3rd and 6th graders.

Miquon is great (more than great!), even as just a supplement. The books are really cheap, but to make it cheaper you could put the pages in clear page protectors in a 3-ring binder so all your kids could use the same book. (Use dry erase markers.) That's what we did for the first 3 Miquon books. Also, check paperbackswap.com or bookmooch.com for the books or the Lab Sheet Annotations. They are there a lot of times.

HTH!

We have 2 small group sets, but 1 would be fine. I just recently got the extra set for tutoring purposes. We got by fine with just one. Sometimes it's actually good to have less because if you run out of one color, you have to use others to make up that length and they get to practice their number bonds some more!

We have plastic rods, but I think I might like wood better. Wood would be better to build with because they are more flat on the sides. Plastic bubbles out a bit so you can't build a wall. Plastic is more durable, though.

You'll also want a set of base ten hundred flats.

You can find what you need at rainbow resource.

Thank you very much!

Wow! I'm simply speechless! I wish I was taught math In this fashion! I'm starting this today!! My oldest struggles with simple mental math. Going to use the eggs & rods. We have an abacus as well.

So would you suggest I teach them the fact family of 10 first? That way they have those mentally imprinted? :lol: imprinted...wow what a choice of word.

My 1st grader does mental math already, however my 3rd grader struggles big time!

Wow! I'm simply speechless! I wish I was taught math In this fashion! I'm starting this today!! My oldest struggles with simple mental math. Going to use the eggs & rods. We have an abacus as well.

So would you suggest I teach them the fact family of 10 first? That way they have those mentally imprinted? :lol: imprinted...wow what a choice of word.

My 1st grader does mental math already, however my 3rd grader struggles big time!

Yep, fact families (number bonds) to 10 first. But do it with the rods so they aren't looking at a bunch of symbols. Much less info to remember that way!

And when you teach mental math, don't take the manipulatives away too early. Most kids will stop using them on their own once they have it visualized in their minds. A few problems per day is a good way to do it - it's a lot of mental work at first! Their brains will get tired out!

Oh, and it's helpful, if you are writing or reading the problem on paper, to have it written out horizontally - especially if they already know how to borrow/carry/regroup.

Guest CarrieL

Thank you so much for your videos! I have had some rods for a while, and have had no idea how to use them. My goal for the summer is now to work with these every chance we get.

Nicely done! I've been looking around for more C-rod fun.

Another good use is for teaching listening, following directions, and logical thought. We have a booklet that came with ours that talks about making and solving puzzles.

For instance:

Four rods.

All different.

Longest rod is shorter than yellow.

The child listens and spends time experimenting to find the hidden rod.

The point is not just to give your child these puzzles, but for them to come up with ones themselves.

Just a note for some of you -- some kids HATE this type of thing (math with manipulatives - even when it is presented as a game). My dd#2 wants to gouge her eyes out and begs to be "done" when we do this type of "playing." She absolutely despairs when she sees the cuisenaire rods out - even if they are only out because ds#1 is making castles for his knights.

DD#3 (who admittedly was "raised" on Miquon) loves this sort of thing & has already passed her older sister in much of her math knowledge.

I love the videos. But dd#2 just doesn't learn this way.

Rosie,

Thank you so much for these! For some reason I hadn't thought of using Base Ten Blocks with Cuisenaire. Now, I feel like a complete idiot! Of course you use them together! Thanks for this! I appreciate it!

Lauren

Edited by Mommyof3boys

Dd7 thanks your dd for the fractions lesson today, Rosie. :)

(Yes, my c-rods have the nubbies on the end. Dd wants a set like yours. Thank you, Amazon Prime. :))

Aw, Beth, those pictures make me so happy! Can't wait to show dd! I'm so glad I'm able to help this many people! I wasn't sure what kind of response I'd get, so this is exciting!