Menu

Ever wondered, "What's the big deal about Cuisenaire Rods?" LOOK HERE!!!

Rosie

I already posted....but I wanted to again. I started the videos from your oldest ones to the newest. I'm maybe about half way through them. My dd really loves watching them too and then trying out your ideas. We had such a fun time the other day playing the game with the dice and the graph paper. She hasn't had much exposure to multiplication.....but she did so well with it and really got it! She kept saying how much fun the game was, that she loves it, and wasn't I just so proud of her that she's liking to get her cuisenaire rods out and do the activities. :001_smile: She was also pretty excited to see your dd Zoey roll her tongue in one of the videos. :lol: My dd (the youngest one) is the only one in our family who can do that (my oldest dd learned in school that it's genetic). So....it was a surprise when she saw your dd do that. :lol:

You should make a cuisenaire rod activity DVD. :001_smile:

I already posted....but I wanted to again. I started the videos from your oldest ones to the newest. I'm maybe about half way through them. My dd really loves watching them too and then trying out your ideas. We had such a fun time the other day playing the game with the dice and the graph paper. She hasn't had much exposure to multiplication.....but she did so well with it and really got it! She kept saying how much fun the game was, that she loves it, and wasn't I just so proud of her that she's liking to get her cuisenaire rods out and do the activities. :001_smile: She was also pretty excited to see your dd Zoey roll her tongue in one of the videos. :lol: My dd (the youngest one) is the only one in our family who can do that (my oldest dd learned in school that it's genetic). So....it was a surprise when she saw your dd do that. :lol:

You should make a cuisenaire rod activity DVD. :001_smile:

Thank you for sharing that, April May! when I hear stories like that it makes me feel like all this time was worth it!

I actually might consider making a DVD one day! We're pretty entrepreneurial over here!!!

Thank you for sharing that, April May! when I hear stories like that it makes me feel like all this time was worth it!

I actually might consider making a DVD one day! We're pretty entrepreneurial over here!!!

Just wanted to let you know I really appreciate you making them. Even though I understood on some level what SM is trying to teach, the videos have let me "see" it and understand it on a different level. I'm in the early stages of switching my non-mathy dd to SM. She's very visual and I think this will help her. Thanks for being a blessing.:)

Even though I understood on some level what SM is trying to teach, the videos have let me "see" it and understand it on a different level.

That's wonderful! I'm not sure why there aren't many videos out there about C-rods or mental math strategies (at least, I haven't been too successful at finding them which is why I made these). I've seen plenty of posts on here and blog posts about this stuff, but something so visual seems to almost require video format in order to understand it fully. The fact that the rods are a visual representation of numbers is what makes them so useful - especially to visual learners like me!

That's wonderful! I'm not sure why there aren't many videos out there about C-rods or mental math strategies (at least, I haven't been too successful at finding them which is why I made these). I've seen plenty of posts on here and blog posts about this stuff, but something so visual seems to almost require video format in order to understand it fully. The fact that the rods are a visual representation of numbers is what makes them so useful - especially to visual learners like me!

:iagree:

The fact that the rods are a visual representation of numbers is what makes them so useful - especially to visual learners like me!

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

You're such a trendsetter, Rosie! Our new c-rods arrived today. "Two tubs of bliss" -- according to dds. It was like Christmas morning when the UPS man delivered the box today. Now they can do the lessons the way you have presented them. :)

Thank you!

Thank you so much! My kids are excited to do math tomorrow. Now I just have to get some of the base 10 100 flats to make those cool towers. My son suggested buying 30 of them. ;)

I'm just glad for the ideas. I really am looking forward to putting our C-rods to good use.

:thumbup:

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

You're such a trendsetter, Rosie! Our new c-rods arrived today. "Two tubs of bliss" -- according to dds. It was like Christmas morning when the UPS man delivered the box today. Now they can do the lessons the way you have presented them. :)

Thank you!

Two tubs of bliss. Love it. I love the pictures too.....wow, could those smiles get any bigger? :001_smile:

Thank you so much! My kids are excited to do math tomorrow. Now I just have to get some of the base 10 100 flats to make those cool towers. My son suggested buying 30 of them. ;)

I'm just glad for the ideas. I really am looking forward to putting our C-rods to good use.

30. How cute. :001_smile:

Dd7 & I watched Rosie's newest video this morning together. Aly paused the video and said, "Mom, Um...I'm not trying to be rude...but...She's a better teacher than you are." I said, "I know. She's awesome." :)

Oh, my goodness - I don't know why but that really embarrasses me! Beth, I'm sure you're an amazing teacher!!!! Your girls are blessed beyond belief to have you as their Mama!

Oh, my goodness - I don't know why but that really embarrasses me! Beth, I'm sure you're an amazing teacher!!!! Your girls are blessed beyond belief to have you as their Mama!

They just love the way you work with your kids with those rods. I never really knew what to do with the rods until I saw your vids. Aly is requesting to play multiplication war (as I type this). :)

I am watching more of your videos, and I am starting to freak out... Is there a way to incorporate this type of teaching with Horizons? Or do I need to get Miquon instead?

One more question...how big of a set do you recommend?

Thanks for your help!

Danielle, we have two of the 155 piece small group sets and a Base Ten set. IT is perfect for my daughter to play with some while my son is using them for math.

We have added Miquon to our Singapore and use the rods for both. My son loves them. And I finally "See" through the rods how he understands math. Awesomeness !!!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you Rosie, I have often wondered. This was the visual I needed to understand the rods. It was also what my son needed to show me how his mind works. Which is so very different than my own. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just wanted to let everyone know that THE OFFICIAL WEBSITE IS UP!!!!! This link will take you to a more organized place to view all the videos. If you are referring people to my videos, please use this link...

http://www.educationunboxed.com

:party::party::party:

The new website is fantastic!

I love the videos that you put up today. I know what Aly and I will be doing this morning for math. :) Thank you, Rose!

• 3 months later...

I've been looking for you for some time now, but until this thread popped up again I haven't been able to find you. Your videos have taught my children to "see" math a lot clearer than I ever could have gotten them to. I really think you ought to make a dvd with all of these videos compiled on it. I'd love to have something safely in my possession that I can also use for my daughter when she's ready.