Menu

How much time do you work with a beginning reader?

I am not interested in the age of your child. I am just curious if you are Ctively teaching a child to read, how much is spent daily on reading instruction. I am not talking about kids who are teaching themselves with leapfrog videos and starfall.

I am talking about chidren who need active parental involvement in their reading instruction. You can share what you use if you think it is important.

It's going to depend very much on the child. One of my children could probaby handle 30 minutes of instruction, another only about 5-10 minutes at a time. One of the books I used as reference targeted 15 minutes per day of reading time (to, with, by) supplemented by other reading games. For my child who could spend 30 minutes- I don't.

I guess it depends on what you mean by "reading instruction"? Between phonics, spelling, introducing new concepts (OPGTR) and them reading to me, I would guess that I spend two-three hours a day with each child. Some together, some individual.

Well I'm currently teaching my dd(6) to read. Everyday she does 1 page of ETC, we do 1/2-1 page of Phonics Pathways, and she reads one story out of her phonics readers. She just finished her phonics readers yesterday and began HOD Emergent readers today.

I don't have a set time because have a pretty flexible schedule, but if I had to estimate, I'd say we're doing about 30 minutes, 4x a week. DD will be 6 in June.

Depending on the amount of reading she's asked to do, this may be split into 2 sessions because my DD is still easily frustrated and fatigued by too much reading (she is just at blending CVC words and it is still laborious.)

We use AAR 1 (+ ETC to review on days that I don't feel we're ready to move on to the next lesson), so the time above includes reviewing phonogram/word cards, direct instruction with letter tiles/whiteboard writing, fluency list reading, file folder games played together, reading in BOB book or the AAR reader. So, my 30 min. session is really a bunch of 5-10 min shorter sessions combined. :)

I spend 20ish minutes each day. I use phonics games, Bob books, sight word reviews and games, early readers, AAS, and a few other odds and ends.

I have two that I am currently teaching to read and the above time obviously does not include the time I spend reading aloud to them.

I spend between 30-45 mins with my son on average. On good days we do an hour or more of one on one time, on not so good days its maybe 15 minutes. Now, we do not do 30-45 minutes in 1 sitting. He would NEVER be able to do this. We do this in sessions between 10-15 minutes long through out the day. This is with a struggling 7 1/2 year old. (I know you said you didn't care but thought I would throw this out there because he is older than most learning to read so that is why we do alot in a day)

Edited by wy_kid_wrangler04

15-20 minutes these days. Might be a bit more or a bit less, depending on his interest -- some days he wants to read a lot to me, and other days, not so much. I'd say 15-20 minutes was about right when I was directly teaching him to read; now he reads to himself or to me and asks for help as needed.

I am currently doing 10-20 minutes of 100 Easy Lessons with DD (age 5.5) most days. Once in a while she'll do a page or two of ETC which takes her around 10 minutes per page. I also read to her every day, a lot, over an hour all together every day, probably, but I'm not sure that counts for your purposes.

About 15 minutes a day, at least 4 days a week are dedicated to having my 5yo read to me. We spend another 10 minutes/day reviewing phonics as part of our spelling (AAS).

The length varies from day to day, though -- sometimes she's on fire to read, and other days she wants to stop after 5 minutes. I mostly try to make sure she gets in at least 10 minutes of reading a day.

We use a few phonics curriculums/approaches, because dd really needs the review/constant reinforcement. She has struggled with reading and is in VT, so ymmv...

This is for dd(7)

Daily (6x per week)

AAS-5-10 min

Etc-10-15 min

TRL-5-10 min

WRTR-5-10 min

3 reading 'sessions'-10 minutes each

-one is reading something of her choice

-one is right at her level

-one is slightly above her level

So total about an hour per day, spread out. Her eyes tire quickly, and reading has been a huge source of frustration and struggle, so I am mindful not to over do it.

For dd4, who so far seems to have less issues than dd1-

Etc-5-10 min

TRL-5-10 min

Bob books-5-10 min

It really just depends on the child's ability and interest. Very short sessions, about 5 min. to begin with, daily. When they get tired of "working" (because learning to read is hard work), I end the lesson. The time lengthens as they are able to sit and sound out words without tiring or losing interest. I want it to be enjoyable and not something they dread.

DS is 6. We spend about 20-30 minutes/day on phonics. It's not an efficient 20-30 minutes though. We use Phonics Pathways and my goal (in my head) is to get through 2-3 pages/week. We sit on the floor in front of the white board and I write all words/sentences/pyramids on the white board. This is time consuming. DS usually rolls around on the floor or plays with a toy while I'm writing.

DD is 4.5. We spend about 10 minutes a day on phonics and another 10 or so minutes on reading aloud from whatever book we are currently using. I usually do two sessions of 10 minutes each though with 5 minutes phonics and 5 minutes of reading aloud.

Edited by Tanikit

5.5yr old - I spend about 15-20 mins, not every day, probably 5 days a week doing an active "reading lesson" from 100EL. This is the only time he thinks he practices.

In addition I encourage lots of opportunistic life based reading, get him to read to younger DD, let him take turns reading lines with me in picture books etc. So bits and pieces of extra in there too. He has lots of readers from the library too and he probably reads one every second day on average.

I am lucky if I can get 10 minutes out of my little wiggle worm at a time. I usually do 3-10 minute sessions with him. I use 100ez lessons, then we read a bob book(or use the books from progressive phonics or starfall that i print out) and now we are starting phonics pathways also for a few min. I am going slow with him. 1-2 lessons from 100 ez lessons because he gets discouraged easy and he is still young(4).

I start off with 10 mins twice a day, then build up as their confidence and stamina for reading increases. DS5 was always very keen, and even when he was only just 4 yo the 10 mins minimum used to stretch out to half an hour. He made very rapid progress, then suddenly about two months ago started to struggle and was much less interested. I simply did what he asked at the time, cut the sessions back down to 10 mins and reverted to the books he had read earlier. His enthusiasm is building again now. I do think that an enormous amount of progress can be made with a consistent twice daily practice of 10 mins.

Cassy

ETA DS5 just reads the Jolly Phonics and Oxford Reading Tree readers. To begin with I used to make up sentences for him to copy over from OPGTR, simply because he was very keen to learn to write. These days he does about two lessons each week from WWE1.

Edited by Cassy

For my 6-year-old, we use Phonics Pathways and we do about half a page a day which can take anywhere from 5 to 15 minutes depending on A) how easily she is grasping the material and B) how cooperative she is feeling on that particular day. I don't count read alouds as instruction. For my 4-year-old, we're just working on letter recognition which takes a few minutes per day. When he's solid on that, we'll start him on Phonics Pathways as well. Also note, some days just go haywire and none of the above gets done. :D

The age of the child is determined by the child, reading is interest based around here until official ( required )school age which is 6 in Texas.

I have always relied on short lessons of phonics of five minutes max, just looking over the words, sounding out each letter and saying the words in the end. Then we always follow up with reading a short beginner book to reinforce. Reading the same books over and over help to commit those new words to memory, while the occasional new word can be used to practice phonics skills.

All in all we do about 10 minutes at most when doing just 3 letter short vowel words. When we get to 4 letter beginning or ending blends we will increase that time to 15 minutes. ( I do give words immediately in reading that they don't know the phonic rules to. ) By the time we get to silent e, and 3 letter blends, we increase the time again. By the time we finish Ordinary Parents Guide to Teaching reading they are reading chapter books probably 20-30 minutes a day. I don't have an issue with backing up, and working at it again over and over to build fluency. I firmly believe with fluency and the increased ease of reading comes comprehension.

Noel is 4.5, and we spend about 10 minutes a day. Once in a while we use magnetic letters or a little whiteboard, but most days we just read little readers. The first two sets of BOB Books and the first set of Nora Gaynos readers are about the same level, so we're working our way through (almost done!). When we get to new material, we'll do more whiteboard work. He is totally happy to read a little bit daily, which shocks me because he is so stubborn otherwise ;) I quit while we are ahead, and sometimes I spend half the time reading the reader to HIM, modeling how to sound the words out.

This reminds me that I should pull out the phonics games I have and mix it up.

Varies widely if dd (2) is interested. From 5 min to an hour per day probably, not including me reading to her (another 30-60 min/day). This is summed up from the time we spend together - she's probably getting more practice at her Montessori child care that I can't comment on, but limited formal reading instruction at 'school'. At home this includes magnetic letters, moveable alphabet, typing (who knew she'd initiate and keep asking for this???!aaaaaaagggg), reading books, word play, games.

I guess it depends on what you mean by "reading instruction"? Between phonics, spelling, introducing new concepts (OPGTR) and them reading to me, I would guess that I spend two-three hours a day with each child. Some together, some individual.

This was about how it was for me too. We did a Rod and Staff reading and phonics and it took about an hour including the workbooks.

Then we did reading practice where we read together throughout the day.

Even now at the end of 2nd grade, reading and writing instruction, one on one with me is the largest part of my newest reader's day. We spend 2 hrs on it still.