Menu

Inexpensive Artist Study Ideas?

Halcyon

Posts like that always send me to root through my bookmarks, often rediscovering things I've totally forgotten. Sadly I didn't find any free "Artist Study" curricula (I could use one also), but I did find a few things you might use to supplement whatever you come up with.

If you are in a modern mood, MoMA has a set of lessons and you can filter by artist.

This site as a bunch of PowerPoint slide presentations, mostly set up by period. The quality varies.

The National Gallery of Art has these guides that make me want to go there (11 hours by car) just to use them. Perhaps if you make any road trips this summer...

Here is an online image gallery. I don't know what is required to join, but they've got a large collection.

If you study Picasso you can make your own Picassohead.

There are lots of "Art Appreciation" ideas, but that is so vague and the quality so varied.

I hope you find something (and then share it :D)

You've got to check out the children's music CD I just reviewed here. It's catchy and entertaining songs that teach educational tidbits about some famous artists.

I think it would be perfectly enjoyable for the ages of your kids. Heck- I really enjoyed it.

we think these are fun. we've all learned a lot of names of the works of art and artists themselves...it's easy and it doesn't seem like learning to them while they are playing.....

http://www.amazon.com/Piatnik-7081-Impressionist-Memory-Game/dp/B0002HYQC4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1336248778&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Modern-Art-Deluxe-Memory-Game/dp/1934429414/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1336248778&sr=8-2

seema

Do you have any nice art galleries in your area? Many offer inexpensive/free art appreciation classes for homeschoolers. (One of our local museums is free, other charges $10. Both overwhelm the parents with freebies - posters, books, bookmarks, etc.)

I have also noticed that many art museums have teacher resources on their website, free to download.

See what your library offers. :D

Our library has a book - something like, "What is that -ism: a look at different art movements." I think it would be fun to plan a study around that book.

All I do for 1-3 is buy Mike Venezia's Getting to Know The World's Greatest Artist series. I pick two a year, and we read each book slowly (a page spread concentrating on the pictures. He narrates what we read, and I also aim to do picture study a la CM.. I ask him to really look at the painting, narrate the painting, tell from memory and maybe ask a question or two. Both my children appreciate art and ds remembers.

In 4th, I'm going to hang 1 painting at a time on the bulletin board per artist, 3 artists this time. Dh is an artist and he has many coffee table art books I can pick from to scan and print. Besides Venezia, which is funny and factual, I'm also including three fictional living books (one per artist) too. For next year, I have Velazquez and Rembrandt, and I'm considering adding Vermeer. We're studying Early Modern.

Posts like that always send me to root through my bookmarks, often rediscovering things I've totally forgotten. Sadly I didn't find any free "Artist Study" curricula (I could use one also), but I did find a few things you might use to supplement whatever you come up with.

If you are in a modern mood, MoMA has a set of lessons and you can filter by artist.

This site as a bunch of PowerPoint slide presentations, mostly set up by period. The quality varies.

The National Gallery of Art has these guides that make me want to go there (11 hours by car) just to use them. Perhaps if you make any road trips this summer...

Here is an online image gallery. I don't know what is required to join, but they've got a large collection.

If you study Picasso you can make your own Picassohead.

There are lots of "Art Appreciation" ideas, but that is so vague and the quality so varied.

I hope you find something (and then share it :D)

Thank you so much for posting this! We are fortunate to live only 30 minutes from the NGA and I hadn't even thought to look for resources like this. Awesome!

Confessions of a Homeschooler has what looks like a pretty great artist study program, World's Greatest Artists. The download normally costs like $5 but it looks like it's free right now.

At one point, I want to say that you could have gotten Picturing America for free. I'm not sure if that is still true or not, and I haven't actually seen the program, but it's a collection of American art. Maybe something like that would work?

I believe you can also print public domain paintings yourself, and it's not too expensive to do a few of them. Our co-op does picture study as its opening class, and it's been wonderful, but if you don't have a co-op, perhaps there are a few other parents who would share the cost of printing the pictures with you, and then you could share the prints around.

My children enjoyed this book last year, and it has large paintings plus details; our library had it, so maybe yours does too. http://www.amazon.com/The-Trail-West-Exploring-History/dp/1587284421/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1336256319&sr=8-5

I've done quite a bit of art history with my kids this year. It's been all rather informal yet I can honestly say that my kids have learned and retained more information about art this year than any other subject! The basic approach I took:

1. Decide on an artist that we're interested in learning more about.

2. Look up and read about the artist in one of the books in our home library:

- The Art Book for Children

- The Children's Book of Art

-The Usborne Book of Famous Paintings

- The Usborne Art Treasury

2. Use the local library, Netflix and YouTube to find a few other books or videos about the artist. We really like the Mike Venezia's Getting to Know The World's Greatest Artist series, both the books and videos. However, don't overlook the picture books too!

3. Order Dover postcards, display a few. Can make a Montessori style matching activity where the child matches a title to each card.

4. Color a few pages in a Dover coloring book.

5. The kids then create their own art project done in the artist's style. For example, for Van Gogh ds painted on an inexpensive canvas, experimented with thickening the paint, apply it with a knife instead of a brush, tried to make the sky all swirly, etc. For Degas we bought a set of pastels. I use these two books for project ideas:

-Discovering Great Artists

- Art Treasury

6. When possible, go see the art! We've been to one small art museum this year. We're planning trips to both Chicago and New York over the next six months so we're studying artists whose work that we'll be able to find in those museums.

Also, not specific to any one artist, but we have all three of these and my kids LOVE the games:

http://rainbowresource.com/searchspring.php?q=art+memo+game

Edited by Wabi Sabi

5. The kids then create their own art project done in the artist's style. For example, for Van Gogh ds painted on an inexpensive canvas, experimented with thickening the paint, apply it with a knife instead of a brush, tried to make the sky all swirly, etc. For Degas we bought a set of pastels. I use these two books for project ideas:

-Discovering Great Artists

That book, and any collection or DVD with Sister Wendy. :001_smile:

Confessions of a Homeschooler has what looks like a pretty great artist study program, World's Greatest Artists. The download normally costs like $5 but it looks like it's free right now.

We have been using this this year and my dd LOVES it! It is FREE and we get the books from the library. We were at EPCOT last week and she pointed out a print by Monet. She was so excited to recognize it.

OMgosh there are so many good ideas here. Please, keep em coming. I am going to buy myself a 3-ring binder and print out all these great pdfs, ideas, etc and really organize a great plan for next year.

I also found, for free online, The Book of Art for Young People and the corresponding images. There is also an audio recording of this book at Librivox.

We have been using this this year and my dd LOVES it! It is FREE and we get the books from the library. We were at EPCOT last week and she pointed out a print by Monet. She was so excited to recognize it.

I really like those books, and we own a few and I know our library has a bunch. Just downloaded this guide. Thank you! I am going to put it on my Ipad and we'll begin using this as soon as I can fit it in.

Like previous posters, we choose several artists to study each year.

Generally, we do this...

This is how I approach our artist study:

1. I choose an artist and then 5-8 art pieces of that artist.

2. I gather books about the artist or research suggested books that I could check from the library.

3. I print the art pieces in color and a wikipedia or other article which focuses on the art piece.

4. I display the art pieces on our bulletin board with labels for each piece.

5. I read at least one biography of the artist. (This is usually a short book such as one by Diane Stanley or Mike Venezia, but I have also used collection type books and read a specific chapter.)

6. After the reading of the biography, I choose one picture each lesson to discuss and read more about from the article printed.

7.When all of the pieces are completed, I have the girls choose their favorite. Their favorite is used to write a notebook page.

8. After this is completed, we then move into our picture study lessons which are posted under the page The Arts. (Our picture study lessons include work such as narrations and a simple sketch of the chosen art piece.)

Here is a link to a site with free printable artist pages that we like:

http://makingartfun.com/

I have some more links on my blog...A Mind in the Light...under the page The Arts....

What Your 2nd Grader and 5th Grader Needs to Know (or just one or the other) and a library card and the free plans on BCP every once in awhile.

But the books alone provide a guideline of what to study, and even have the pictures of the paintings in them to study. If you are inclined look up the lesson plans. And hit the library for more books on the topics. There are project ideas in the books.

I just downloaded this and am eager to start it. It's a pretty simple program, but I like the books it uses. I'm just going for basic familiarity at this stage.

The Getty has an amazing amount of free curriculum on their website.

Here is one set, if you poke around a bit more, you can find lots more. New stuff is added every few months.

I've also put together some boards on Pinterest as we study artists.

Albert Durer Picture Study

Picasso Picture Study

And I do like Dover's postcards as they are nice to put into notebooks as well as play games.

I like the Picture Study Portfolios from Simply Charlotte Mason - they're about $15 each, I think.

They come with beautiful 8x10 full-color prints, and a booklet that explains how to use the portfolio, a short biography (10 pages or so, I think?) of the artist, and information about each picture.

:)

Melissa

Oh, wow! Each of these guides has a recommended book list, along with recommended age of the child, to go with each artist! LOVE it!