Menu

Would you let your 10 year old book hater read...

Would you allow your 10 year old (who hates reading with a passion and has never really ASKED to read a book) to read the book The Hunger Games?

My husband says no, I say "with me" (as in, we would read the book together). I'll defer to my husband on this one, as the naysayer usually wins by default here; but I'll admit, I'm just happy she asked to read a book. Lol. I do understand his hesitation though - she is notoriously morbid as is.

Guest submarines

I wouldn't.

ETA: Okay, that was my gut reaction. :001_huh: Then I thought for a minute, and changed my mind. I would explain to her why I thought it would be better to wait. If she chose to go ahead anyway, I wouldn't censor.

Edited by sunflowers

I think ten is old enough to understand the Games and Katniss' love for her sister, but not old enough to understand the Peeta/Katniss dynamic ... the triangle with Gale, the "playing it up for the cameras," etc. I also doubt ten is old enough to draw all the connections between Capitol culture and our own, especially if we're talking about a kid who has not yet been heavily exposed to the worst of pop culture.

I wouldn't ban my kid from reading it at ten, but I'd try to convince him to wait so he could get more out of it.

I decided not to let my kids (11 and 9) read it when I had it from the library. I enjoyed it, but I think they would need to be older to understand some of the themes or be able to discuss them. I think the images of kids trying to kill each other (especially as entertainment, not any kind of good vs. evil battle) are disturbing and not something they need to carry around in their brains quite yet.

Do you have the gregor the overlander set. It was written for elementary by the same authress who wrote the hungergames. My ds and dd love warrior cats also

ha, I was looking at gregor and never made the connection! Interesting...

My 12dd and 10ds just started reading the first book. Dh and I have read the series and went to the movie last weekend.

I don't expect them to understand everything in the book, I remember reading books at their ages that I didn't fully understand until a second reading a few years later. I still need to go back and read 'The Westing Game'

The books are graphic, but not in a glorifying violence way.

Harry Potter was mentioned as a substitute. I love the Harry Potter books and I have encouraged my kids to read those as well. The the whole basis of that series is a grown man and his followers trying to kill a child. There is death, violence, and torture in Harry Potter too, it's just wrapped up in magic and has all of us wishing we received a letter when we were 11. No one wants to live in the dystopian world of Katniss.

IMO, if she was mature enough to read the entire series of Harry Potter and understand most of what was going on, she is probably mature enough to read Hunger Games.

I will say that she read the entire HP series WITH me. As in, side by side, I read a paragraph and she read a paragraph. She didn't read it alone.

I appreciate the ideas for substitutes; but she does specifically want "dystopian".

This may be a ploy on her end to let her see the movie too. She kind of works like that - "if I read the book, they might let me see the movie" (which is off limits).

My 12dd and 10ds just started reading the first book. Dh and I have read the series and went to the movie last weekend.

I don't expect them to understand everything in the book, I remember reading books at their ages that I didn't fully understand until a second reading a few years later. I still need to go back and read 'The Westing Game'

The books are graphic, but not in a glorifying violence way.

Harry Potter was mentioned as a substitute. I love the Harry Potter books and I have encouraged my kids to read those as well. The the whole basis of that series is a grown man and his followers trying to kill a child. There is death, violence, and torture in Harry Potter too, it's just wrapped up in magic and has all of us wishing we received a letter when we were 11. No one wants to live in the dystopian world of Katniss.

IMO, if she was mature enough to read the entire series of Harry Potter and understand most of what was going on, she is probably mature enough to read Hunger Games.

Yes, absolutely. My son was almost 10 (within days of turning) when he listened to them the first time. He is listening to them again right now. My daughter was 11 1/2 when she read them. I read them after Ani did, as did my husband and my parents. We all love them and have spent a lot of time discussing them. My 10 year old (as well as my daughter) had no problem getting the underlying themes. He didn't have any problem understanding Katniss playing up the romance for the camera and that Peeta really loved her. My niece was 11 when she read them and also had no problem understanding things and drawing the parallels and stuff.

However.

We have not shielded our kids from anything. They watch TV shows and movies that many may not allow their kids to watch. Psych, Fairly Legal, Merlin... that's family viewing in our house. Reading is barely restricted. They are definitely not sensitive. We had no doubt Cameron would be just fine with Hunger Games at almost 10. I've actually been rather impressed with the kids' thoughts on what things meant to them and what not. They can be pretty deep.

Only you can know whether it'll really be okay for your daughter and if your gut is saying no, then by all means, don't let her read the books.

I wouldn't.

We worked up to The Hunger Games. First was Margaret Peterson Haddix books (Running out of Time, Among The Hidden series..), then The Giver. Interspersed in there were survival stories: Jungle Book, Island Of The Blue Dolphins, My Side of The Mountain. Finally we got to HG, at nearly 13yo.

I wouldn't have thrown him right into The Hunger Games without some background and maturity, and certainly not if he wanted to read only out of morbid curiosity.

I wouldn't.

We worked up to The Hunger Games. First was Margaret Peterson Haddix books (Running out of Time, Among The Hidden series..), then The Giver. Interspersed in there were survival stories: Jungle Book, Island Of The Blue Dolphins, My Side of The Mountain. Finally we got to HG, at nearly 13yo.

I wouldn't have thrown him right into The Hunger Games without some background and maturity, and certainly not if he wanted to read only out of morbid curiosity.

Oh, wow - I thought The Giver was soooooooooooooo much more disturbing than the Hunger Games, because all the adults thought killing the babies was a good idea.... At least the parents are outraged and angry and end up in a revolution in the Hunger Games.

I thought the Giver was an excellent book - but 100 times more disturbing than the Hunger Games.

Edited by SailorMom

DS11 read the first two Hunger Games books just before his eleventh birthday, and finished the last one a couple of weeks ago. We both knew that the content was likely to be pretty gruesome and traumatic, and I think he had more reservations than myself (I read Crime and Punishment when I was only slightly older than him :tongue_smilie:). I left it up to him, but once he got started he was totally gripped.

DS12, on the other hand, has refused to read them 'on principle', although he's keen to go to see the film now it's out :glare:.

Cassy

I would, but not if my dh was dead-set against it after reading it himself (not just from hearing about it).

Other dystopias your 10yo might enjoy (since you said she specifically wanted dystopia):

The Other Side of the Island (1st in a series)

http://www.amazon.com/Other-Side-Island-Allegra-Goodman/dp/1595141960/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1333295797&sr=8-1

The Sky Inside (book 1) and The Walls Have Eyes (book 2)

http://www.amazon.com/The-Sky-Inside-Clare-Dunkle/dp/1416924221/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1333295836&sr=1-2

Declaration (book 1), Resistance (book 2), Legacy (book 3)

http://www.amazon.com/The-Declaration-Gemma-Malley/dp/1599902958/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1333295920&sr=1-2

Legend (1st book in series)

http://www.amazon.com/Legend-Marie-Lu/dp/039925675X/ref=pd_sim_b_8

Oh, wow - I thought the giver was soooooooooooooo much more disturbing than the Hunger Games, because all the adults thought killing the babies was a good idea.... At least the parents are outraged and angry and end up in a revolution in the Hunger Games.

I thought the Giver was an excellent book - but 100 times more disturbing than the Hunger Games.

I found The Giver to be more disturbing, too, for the same reason. Loved it, or at least did after I thought about for about a week after I finished it, but, yes, definitely thought it was more disturbing.

I wouldn't.

My son and daughter, who read the Hunger Games at 10, had read most of the books on your list by then. And based on our discussions, they understood the themes just fine.

To the OP, yes, I would, I did, and I have no regrets. DH questioned it a bit, but since I had read the books and he hadn't, he deferred to me.

So ... can we talk more about the Giver vs. Hunger Games?

I've read The Giver; it's on our to-read list in the Fall. My child turns 12 in the fall, is an avid reader, and will be reading it alongside his cousin (who is 8 months older and will be reading it as a public school assignment).

I haven't read HG, have no real familiarity with the story line (and no real interest), but have been told by a number of IRL friends with kids similar to mine that they won't be allowing their own kids to read it. These are people I tend to see eye-to-eye with, and whose opinions I respect; they've all read HG and some have seen the movie as well. Assuming it must be REALLY bad, I just figured I wouldn't even go there. My son hasn't asked to read it or see it, yet, but my nephew has. I told him no, for now. I've never before vetoed a movie or book.

Both boys first read the HP series around age 8-9. They've re-read them several times since. I haven't read those either, I went off of the advice of others before buying the HP books. They discussed amongst themselves and with other adults, but I never discussed the HP books with them. I have no clue what they're about, other than magic.

So, if I'm okay with them reading The Giver ... most likely I'd be okay with them reading HG?

I really don't want to read or see HG for myself to determine. I'm picky about my own books and movies, especially with limited time to do either :D I'd rather just be mean and say no, but reading some posts here has given me pause to reconsider the HG veto ... in light of its comparisons to The Giver, anyhow.

My reluctant reader absolutely loved the Percy Jackson books! She read every one in the series, and that started her on a quest to find more books like those.

:iagree: of course, my dd is an avid reader and will re-read HP and the PJ series.

I would, but not if my dh was dead-set against it after reading it himself (not just from hearing about it).

Other dystopias your 10yo might enjoy (since you said she specifically wanted dystopia):

The Other Side of the Island (1st in a series)

http://www.amazon.com/Other-Side-Island-Allegra-Goodman/dp/1595141960/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1333295797&sr=8-1

The Sky Inside (book 1) and The Walls Have Eyes (book 2)

http://www.amazon.com/The-Sky-Inside-Clare-Dunkle/dp/1416924221/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1333295836&sr=1-2

Declaration (book 1), Resistance (book 2), Legacy (book 3)

http://www.amazon.com/The-Declaration-Gemma-Malley/dp/1599902958/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1333295920&sr=1-2

Legend (1st book in series)

http://www.amazon.com/Legend-Marie-Lu/dp/039925675X/ref=pd_sim_b_8

HEY! I remember that book!! I read it, I think when I was about 10, and loved it! I had forgotten all about it until you posted this. Thanks for the reminder and list of books for my dd :)

ETA: ok, I feel like a dummy. I didn't click on the link before posting about The Others Side of the Island and apparently it isn't the book I was thinking of. The title reminded me of one I had read ages ago. Never mind.:tongue_smilie:

Edited by Shannon in TN

I personally think The Giver is much more mild than HG.

:iagree:

My oldest dd has read The Giver and the subsequent books, but I'm not sure about The Hunger Games. But, we saw the movie with her, and she doesn't particularly want to read The Hunger Games anyway now.

I haven't read HG yet, but I have been told that the movie is far more mild than the book. I will say that the irony was not lost on my 15 year old ds that we were at a movie where the audience (young and old) were CHEERING when kids killed other kids, and yet a prevailing theme of the plot was the lack of humanity in violence and killing for entertainment purposes.

I honestly don't think most 10 year olds are ready for the book, or even the movie for that matter. The exuberance and thrill I've seen over them by kids and adults alike (on FB, IRL, in the audience reaction in the theater, etc) tells me that many totally miss the very sober nature of the message and it is purely entertainment for them.

I will say that she read the entire HP series WITH me. As in, side by side, I read a paragraph and she read a paragraph. She didn't read it alone.

I appreciate the ideas for substitutes; but she does specifically want "dystopian".

This may be a ploy on her end to let her see the movie too. She kind of works like that - "if I read the book, they might let me see the movie" (which is off limits).

My opinion is that if you say the movie is "off limits" then you shouldn't let her read the book. The movie's violence is tame compared to the book.

I let my 11 year old read the book and see the movie, just so you know that I'm not anti Hunger Games. I think the books are fabulous.

I would and have let my 10 and 11 year old read the books and see the movies. I have read the books. I don't see much difference in the gore of HG than Lord of the Flies which was required reading when I was in school. We read books that had lots of adult themes and topics and discussed and learned from them. I feel there is a lot to learn from Hunger Games.

:iagree:

I haven't read HG yet, but I have been told that the movie is far more mild than the book. I will say that the irony was not lost on my 15 year old ds that we were at a movie where the audience (young and old) were CHEERING when kids killed other kids, and yet a prevailing theme of the plot was the lack of humanity in violence and killing for entertainment purposes.

Wow. We didn't experience this at all when we saw the movie. In fact, I was worried beforehand about what the ratio of kids to adults in the theater might mean for the viewing experience, but you could have heard a pin drop once the movie started.

My husband and I have read it and so has our daughter (12 -almost 13). We are okay with our 11 yo reading it (He read Ender's Game at age 9 and was okay with it and he just read Animal Farm and got the themes).

In my opinion, it depends on the child and how they react to violence and how well they grasp themes. I think my 11 yo will "get" the themes quicker than my 12 yo. I had to explain a lot of things to her as she mostly was about the romance.

I have not read it yet but it is on my iPad. Just found out my 8 year old has been reading it during free reading time. He loves it.

Now, I am probably the wrong mom to ask this to as I just took said 8 year old to see Edgar Allen Poe at the theater and we have read several books that involved killing in them already.

Well, no, but I advised my teens not to read it, either, so I might not be the person to ask. :D Too many better choices out there...

I agree with your dh. I have also learned that setting up a precedent that if you are picky about something (reading,) you will get to have what you want is dangerous. We did that with food and books with my middle dd and it got us in the end, and we had issues to unravel.

Depends on the child's sensitivity. Definitely WITH parental guidance at that age. My 11 year old is sensitive, and won't be reading them for a while, but my (not so sensitive) 12 year old and sensitive 13 year old read them recently and loved them. Dh read the books after them (the dc would fight over the book when he brought it from the library, and then in 2 days, when they were both done, he would read).

Wow. We didn't experience this at all when we saw the movie. In fact, I was worried beforehand about what the ratio of kids to adults in the theater might mean for the viewing experience, but you could have heard a pin drop once the movie started.

This was our experience, too. The only sounds were quiet sobbing after - never mind , spoiler - but if you've seen or read it you probably know what I'm talking about. I thought it was a beautifully crafted movie, and yes, I was one of the sobbers.

My reluctant reader 11 1/2 yr old is reading them now at her own request. I was dubious, but I keep asking her questions to make sure she is understanding, not just consuming. She has surprised me with her understanding.

Just as an FYI, so you know where we're coming from, we don't allow Twilight books, and only harry Potter after the kids are older teenagers. So we are kinda picky. I probably wouldn't have let my daughter read them when she was ten. She wasn't nearly as mature a year ago. YMMV

I let my ten year old book lover read The Hunger Games. They are dark and disturbing, yes, so I would avoid them if your child is sensitive about what they read or watch. My daughter is pretty level headed and not easily disturbed or frightened and handled the books just fine.

Would you allow your 10 year old (who hates reading with a passion and has never really ASKED to read a book) to read the book The Hunger Games?

My husband says no, I say "with me" (as in, we would read the book together). I'll defer to my husband on this one, as the naysayer usually wins by default here; but I'll admit, I'm just happy she asked to read a book. Lol. I do understand his hesitation though - she is notoriously morbid as is.

I know what you mean, as far as the bolded. I haven't read the HG or seen the movie. But, my ds was saying that's what all the kids have been talking about at high school. A few weeks ago we went into the library to pick something up and he asked me if he could check out the HG. My reaction: :blink: I was like in shock because he has never asked to read a real book from the library......ever. He'll get guitar books...that sort of thing. But actual literature......never. So, I was like YES! Then, of course, it was already checked out. He is on a list for it, but I bet he won't get until summer.....the wait list is so long.

Our son (age 14) has really enjoyed the the triology and we saw the movie together as a family. I checked out the books before he read them and found them well-written and attention-grabbing. They also provoked some interesting discussions in our home.