Menu

What great discoveries have you made?

So conference season has begun again, which means I'm wandering around vendor booths after I speak, trying to figure out if there's anything new around that's worth recommending. I have to say that I haven't yet seen new stuff which makes me want to change my recommendations.

So I'm wondering. What do you think has been your single greatest curricula/book/program discovery in the past four or five years? The one that made you think: Thank goodness, I've finally solved THAT problem? I'm not looking for brand new programs here--I'm wondering which new OR classic curricula have given you Eureka moments.

SWB

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, it has been your book, WTM. I have heard so many great reviews about it over the past year and decided to purchase it. It really changed the way that I view my children's education. We are eclectic so we don't follow it to a "T" but it has renewed my mind and given me a little extra courage that I need to homeschool my children during those "Can I continue to do this." moments. Thank you! :)

My greatest discoveries have been the ones that help my extremely right-brained visual-spatial learner learn. I am so extremely left-brained (as in every aptitude test I've ever taken says that I should be an accountant or actuary) that it was very difficult for me to understand and adapt to how my dd learns.

That said, my best discoveries for her are:

Life of Fred math

Times Tales

Vocabulary Cartoons

Yo, Sacramento

Calvert Spelling on CD

The Mislabeled Child by Brock Eide and Fernette Eide

CLE reading gives a basic foundation of reading fundamentals for grades 4-8; everything I think a critical reading program should include. Each grade level is one semester of reading, using a reader and 5 workbooks (3wks/workbook).

Here's what's included in CLE reading 8:

SUNRISE READING 800 Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Where Roads Diverge

Analyzing story characters

Working with the Latin word roots

annus, quattuor, and junctum

Identifying setting in a story

Defining and identifying foreshadowing

Identifying figurative language:

metaphor, personification, simile

Understanding and identifying allusions

Considering the results of respecting

older people

Understanding and identifying conflict

Relating charactersĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ actions to Ă¢â‚¬Å“where

roads divergeĂ¢â‚¬

Understanding what an essay is

Identifying the theme of an essay and

a story

Interpreting unusual figures of speech

Rewriting a passage to eliminate a figure of speech

Identifying the lessons taught in a

fable

Identifying the theme of a fable

Identifying paraphrases

Paraphrasing passages

Identifying personification

Extracting lessons from charactersĂ¢â‚¬â„¢

mistakes and examples

Identifying the parts of plot: conflict,

crisis, climax, resolution

Labeling a plot map for a story

Understanding and identifying prejudice in story characters

Identifying a strategy for avoiding

wrong judging

Interpreting symbolism in literature

Considering anger as a response to

stimuli

Considering and identifying satire

Identifying the main ideas of paragraphs

Writing the main idea of a paragraph

Interpreting a metaphor from a

Scripture verse

Gaining information from letters, dialogue, and narrative

Identifying allusions

Comparing a characterĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s situation to a

Bible characterĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s

Identifying the main points of stanzas

of poetry

Identifying summaries of stanzas of

poetry

Marking the rhyme scheme of a poem

Identifying eye rhyme

Contrasting two characters

Interpreting the meaning of a poem

Applying the message of a poem to

life

Identifying first- and third-person narrators

Considering how point of view helps

develop a story

Identifying characters as static or

dynamic

Identifying a selection as romantic or

realistic

Identifying the theme of a selection

Determining the likely veracity of statements

Analyzing a poemĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s structure

Identifying beautiful language in a poem

Working with the Latin roots jactum and

dentis

Identifying the possible varying sides of

a story

Interpreting description

Analyzing character in relation to

Ă¢â‚¬ËœĂ¢â‚¬Ëœwhere roads divergeĂ¢â‚¬

Analyzing how characters took responsibility

Analyzing setting

Identifying foreshadowing

Applying principles from the story to life

Interpreting passages from an essay

Inferring from the essay

Identifying onomatopoeia

Marking the rhyme scheme of a poem

Identifying similes

Identifying a paradox

Interpreting poetry

Comparing a poem and an essay

Identifying mood-creating words in a

poem

Telling why the first person to declare

his cause usually seems right

Understanding unity in a poem

Writing an additional stanza for a poem

Marking meter in a poem

Learning the term iamb

Identifying the thesis of an essay

Identifying examples that support the

thesis

Identifying the double meaning of a title

Working with the French root para

Comparing charactersĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ actions to

Scripture passages

Determining character traits from actions

Interpreting symbols in a story

Using context clues to determine word

meanings

Identifying the elements of setting

Interpreting and applying Bible verses

Identifying an allusion

Identifying proper response to life situations

Identifying a story frame

Telling how a character obeyed a Bible

command

Telling how someone could have better

obeyed a command

Defining denotation and connotation

Identifying the denotation and connotation of words

Identifying the climax of a story

Determining the broad setting of a story

Working with the Greek roots biblos

and philos

Identifying reasons for charactersĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ feelings

Interpreting figurative language

Describing how different views of the

same thing can be both right and

wrong

Choosing the most likely correct view of

an incident

Identifying the lesson taught by folktales

Describing the characteristics of folktales

Comparing two versions of a folktale

Determining word meanings from context clues

Inferring details from the story

Identifying character qualities from

charactersĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ actions

Paraphrasing text from the story

Interpreting an allegory

Summarizing a list of items

Identifying a statement that best states

the idea of a number of statements

Interpreting symbolism

Describing the results of jealousy and

envy

Analyzing charactersĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ actions in light of

Ă¢â‚¬Å“where roads divergeĂ¢â‚¬

Identifying irony

Thinking clearly about disagreements

Tracing the internal conflict in a story

Identifying a character as static or

dynamic

Working with the Latin root centum

Understanding the reasons for a characterĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s actions

Identifying an allusion

Understanding stereotypes

Identifying indications of prejudice

Explaining the irony in a statement

Applying a verse to the story

Paraphrasing a poem

Interpreting symbolism in a poem

Identifying the main idea of a stanza of

poetry

Learning the term anecdote

Identifying the keyword in an anecdote

Identifying problem-solving skills

Identifying actions that show persistence, observation, and understanding

Identifying protagonist and antagonist

Relating setting to mood

Identifying character traits from actions

Identifying the elements of plot: conflict,

climax, resolution

Working with the Greek root hydro

Analyzing a characterĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s actions in light

of Ă¢â‚¬ËœĂ¢â‚¬Ëœwhere roads divergeĂ¢â‚¬

Explaining how Ă¢â‚¬Å“talk leads to penuryĂ¢â‚¬

Identifying the resolution of the story

Determining word meanings from context clues

Paraphrasing lines of poetry

Explaining the poem title

Identifying mood or atmosphere of stanzas of poetry

Identifying the theme of a poem

Matching paraphrases to lines of poetry

Completing two parodies of a poem

Identifying four types of fallacies in

thinking

Marking rhyme scheme and rhythm

Identifying alliteration in a poem

Identifying the moral

Paraphrasing a verse

Working with the Latin roots terra and

pedis

Identifying unfair judgments

Determining character by observing

actions

Identifying couplets

Identifying refrains

Telling how a refrain affects the mood

of a poem

Identifying irony

Identifying the theme of several verses

Matching a popular saying to a proverb

from Proverbs

Explaining the meaning of unusual

phrases

Analyzing character in light of the story

verse

Noting the descriptive language used to

describe setting

Matching figures of speech to their

meanings

Describing aspects of the story setting

Explaining charactersĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ actions

Determining meanings of words from

context clues

Analyzing charactersĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ actions in light of

Ă¢â‚¬Å“where roads divergeĂ¢â‚¬

Understanding the historical background and setting

Identifying four types of fallacious thinking

Comparing and contrasting two characters

Considering how others can stereotype

you and your family

Relating setting and mood

Identifying the double plot of a story

Identifying the theme of a story

Considering the effect of oneĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s actions

on others

Matching lines of poetry to paraphrases

Identifying the theme of a poem

Paraphrasing lines of poetry

Matching lines of poetry to anecdotes

that illustrate them

Determining character from actions

Identifying how different characters

would respond

Identifying Ă¢â‚¬Å“victimĂ¢â‚¬ and Ă¢â‚¬Å“overcomerĂ¢â‚¬

responses

Identifying how characters obeyed a

Bible commandment

Defining parallel

Identifying three types of parallelism in

Hebrew poetry

Identifying the meanings of stanzas of

poetry

Identifying an implication of the poem

Identifying the part of the plot

Working with the theme of the story

Identifying a character as an Ă¢â‚¬Å“overcomerĂ¢â‚¬ or a Ă¢â‚¬Å“victimĂ¢â‚¬

Identifying protagonists, antagonist, and

conflicts

Explaining irony in story events

Drawing lessons from story events

What do you think has been your single greatest curricula/book/program discovery in the past four or five years? The one that made you think: Thank goodness, I've finally solved THAT problem?

The greatest discovery of my homeschooling career so far has been Catherine Drown's Big Book of Lively Latin, which you wouldn't see at a convention.

As a beginning Latin teacher and student, I couldn't figure out how to connect the parts of the programs available. Each assumed a knowledge about Latin that would allow me to determine what to place emphasis on or when to add a worksheet to a textbook. I was in such a tizzy, two months and three programs into beginning Latin, that I managed to find LL the first week it was available. Even though no one else had used it yet, I forked over the big bucks for her non-returnable program, figuring that at least the reliable availability of the author would get us through it. I have never regretted it even for an instant, nor have I actually needed Ms Drown's help understanding her text. The whole family has caught the enthusiasm of those of us studying LL.

I didn't manage to be first in line to purchase the second volume, but I did make it into the first ten!

For me it was OPGTR. I struggled with teaching reading to my first child. OPGTR was my "Thank goodness for this book--that problem is solved" kind of a book. I've used it successfully with 2 more children, and teaching reading is now a no brainer for me.

My single greatest "find" was probably the WTM. It is still my "homeschool bible" when things get all muddy for me. WTM in turn led me to this board! I know this isn't "curriculum", but it is the single greatest source of encouragement and information that I've found. So, thanks, SWB for putting this together for us.

Now, as to curriculum. I will probably say LLATL has been a life saver for me due to it's simplicity. I'm hoping AAS will be "the spelling program" that will help my ds10 spell better, although I'm wondering if his reading and spelling difficulties are more due to vision tracking issues. Let's see...I'm also hoping that WT1 and 2 will be wise choices. For "boxed curriculums", MFW is looking like a winner for us. Now, if I could only figure out math and science...:glare:

My very auditory learner has gone from below grade level spelling to above by using a combination of espindle.org and phonetic zoo, but I think her success has more to do with espindle. I put in any words I want her to cover. I use words from her writing, from Phonetic Zoos word list, and from other texts (like science). I think this would have worked for my advanced speller, too, had it been available.

We also are impressed with verbocity. We just started, so I have no long term info, but my dd is enjoying and retaining the words studied here. It also takes so little time!

I like Math Essentials for a summer course.

Also, Writer's, Inc. a good and reasonably priced (used) book for English.

TFJ

I find the Explorer's Bible studies to be high quality.

I know you don't make religious education recommendations in your book, but this truly is one that stood out to me as a wonderful find. You might consider recommending it to friends even if you prefer not to articulate your preferences in TWTM.

Here is a review I wrote last year--I looked again at curriculum this year and my thoughts have not changed:

When I evaluate a Bible curriculum, I look for what percentage of questions require the student to answer from the Bible text itself (I shoot for 2/3--most studies unfortunately only hit 50% or less), how factual versus opinion-based any notes are and to what degree there is denominational bias.

I also look for how much a good inductive process is reflected in the study--there should be factual observations, an opportunity to summarize the main point of the passage in one concise statement, and finally, application to real life.

I also think that younger children do well with circling the right answer, puzzles, and drawing in response to the text. However, as your child reaches fourth and fifth grades, their Bible study should include more short answer and independent work. (SWB's SOTW reflects this same progression--SOTW 1 has a lot of coloring and multiple choice on tests, whereas SOTW 4 has more short answer and not so many coloring pages.)

I have not found one single Bible curriculum or study anywhere, ever, that asks for a one-sentence summary of the main point of the passage. I highly advocate adding this feature in to whatever Bible study you use or teach, in any setting. A good way to do this with kids is to ask a question like, "What did you learn about God in this passage?" or "What do you think is the very most important lesson in this passage?" Keep it to one short sentence--there may be many subpoints that are good to know, but it is valuable to be able to distinguish the main, most important point.

My number one pick would have to be the Explorer's Bible study, which is available at http://www.explorerbiblestudy.org. Many thanks to Jessica at Trivium Academy for recommending it. I was impressed. It has a good amount of factual observation questions, is very Bible-text focused but still includes some cultural/geographical/historical notes here and there, and has a small proportion of application questions in each unit. Information is presented from an evangelical perspective but seems more factual than opinionated. For those who may be familiar with Bible Study Fellowship or Community Bible Study, this curriculum follows the same pattern. Each unit is also laid out into five days of homework--a decently challenging but not overwhelming amount. Another key feature of this curriculum is the fact that there are corresponding adult studies as well. For a logic stage student either the older elementary OR high school study would be appropriate depending upon reading fluency and maturity.

I also, by the way, recommend both BSF and CBS children's programs. I evaluated both. I think the CBS program has slightly more challenging homework, but also really like the way older children and teens are led to do homiletics at the BSF meetings. (Homiletics is a process of generating an outline of the passage with a final, summary statement.) I recommend either program without reservation in addition to the Explorer's curriculum.

I also have used and liked Kay Arthur's Bible study series for children. My own dd has used several books in this series successfully this year. However, I would steer away from *How to Study the Bible* as it is unnecessarily wordy and proved to be quite challenging for the 4th-5th grade girls I taught. The material is not hard--the presentation of it in this book was terribly convoluted, though. If you choose to do that book, take two weeks per unit and plan on really holding your child's hand through it. The other books in the series are much easier and quite doable, though--we have been satisfied with several others in the series. These books have five or seven days of homework per unit, include both factual questions and marking things directly in biblical text, and some application.

After that, I consider Rod and Staff to be a decent alternative. There is a solid amount of factual questions and some good information on history/geography/culture. However, there is virtually no application, and no summary statement opportunity (none of those I reviewed include this). And, even at the older grades there is virtually no short answer--format is still multiple choice and simpler responses. There is more denominational bias in the notes but can be overcome by careful Bible study. This curriculum would be acceptable even if it's not my favorite.

Christian Light was a lot like Rod and Staff but not quite as challenging. I also thought Christian Liberty was middle-range--not the greatest, but not terrible either.

I was really NOT impressed in the least with either Abeka or AlphaOmega and would not recommend those at all. They were simplistic, passive, lacked depth and do not require much from the student at any age.

One final thought--for high school I would gravitate towards the Explorer's adult series or towards NavPress study guides. I also think teens should be generating their own inductive notes (observation-interpretation statement--application) rather than passively responding to a Bible study guide.

There may well be other wonderful resources out there. This is just what I have reviewed. I'd be happy to answer any further questions.

Here's my list:

Tapestry of Grace

A Child's Geography (this was my conference discovery this year)

First Language Lessons (so excited about starting level 3)

Classical Writing

I'm really looking forward to checking out WWE for my younger guys.

Well, Latin Prep from Galore Park has been wonderful for me. I used level one this past year for a once-a-week class of 18 home schooled kids (ranging from a couple of "gifted" 8yos to 14yo, most in the 10-12 range), including my own home schooled son. The book is clear, concise, clever, funny... It's by far the best balance of grammar + reading practice that I've seen in a Latin textbook for younger (pre-high school) students. And it fills a void between the "intro" type Latin programs for elementary students (like Latina Christiana or Minimus) and high school programs... The workbooks also provided a tremendous amount of extra practice. A little over half my class chose to take the National Latin Exam Introductory level, and their average was well above the national average, so I was very pleased. I'll be using level 2 this fall as the class continues.

My one hesitation is that it presents the cases in the "British" order. I provided small print-outs of the American order for the kids and we pasted them into the books next to the first instance of a list of cases, and every time there was a new noun or adjective presented, we copied it out in the standard order...

Another curriculum that has worked well for us has been Horizons math. I've now used all the books K-6, and I've been really very pleased with them. I have supplemented with Singapore, Challenge Math, Math Olympiad, Number Devil, and more, but I would have supplemented no matter what and Horizons provided us with a very solid core program. I had used Saxon K, most of 1, and I had 3 on hand for comparison, and I believe the conceptual emphasis of Horizons was much, much stronger.

A couple of supplementary things that have made my life better... Evan-Moor History Pockets for grab-and-go projects to enhance history studies when I wasn't prepared to go hunt out the Sculpy Clay or use a jig saw or let children take over my kitchen or... These just need a copier, some paper, colored pencils, scissors, and glue sticks, and my kids are happy as clams. And the Discover and Do science dvds from Sonlight are just fantastic. My kids love having Justin "come over" and demonstrate experiments for them, which they can then replicate almost entirely on their own from the grade-level supply kits that Sonlight also sells. No asking me for paperclips or spools or iron filings or magnets or meat trays, etc. It's all there. And if our experiment doesn't work, we can go back and watch Justin again, and usually see where we did something different... These have made "doing science" a pleasure in our house, when it used to be something I just dreaded.

(I may get ripped for this recommendation...but here goes!)

Teaching Textbooks for math!

I know it's not spoken of very highly by some on the high school board, but for my 9th grader, who has special needs, it's been *wonderful*!!! He has such confidence in math now -- and scored in the 99th percentile on his CAT test last month.

And I just purchased the TT PreCalculus book for my oldest and it looks very meaty...so maybe that will help to ease some of the criticisms of the program in the future as more folks use it.

That's been my "best find"...other than your SOTW books! Wow, have my boys loved that series!!!! History is one of their favorite subjects! :D

Big thumbs up for Rod & Staff English also! That has been such a hidden gem! (My oldest used Abeka for years until your revised WTM book recommended R&S and she was sooo happy to switch! And, when she took College Composition at the community college in 11th grade, her professor was stunned when he discovered that she could diagram sentences!! He has a PhD in English from Duke and told her that he wished the public schools taught diagramming as it was becoming a "lost art")

Thanks again for everything you've done!! (I read WTM in 1999 and it transformed our homeschool experience completely!!)

I am a Curriculum. hopper, so unfortunately I have don't have much for a consistent 4 or 5 years. :(

The only consistent thing I have used for the last 4 or 5 years would be Lapbooking & Abeka for elementary math.;)

For the last 3 years, My favorite and all time life saver is Growing with grammar, and home2teach on-line writing classes. Neither of these I plan on changing again. :)

And for upper math for the past 2: Teaching Textbooks.

-----------------

Just have to add, like you I wonder and don't really find much "new" to purchase anymore. I think I may be slowing down from "hopping" from curr. to curr.. :) But this years convention find is Evolution: The Grand Experiment. I am sooooo excited to use this with the older 2 that are still at home. :)

Lively Latin

Michael Clay Thompson's Language Arts

Megawords spelling

I'd also recommend rethinking how WTM presents Singapore Primary Math. IMHO, to get the full benefit of the program, it is necessary to use the Challenging Word Problems books. It's also a very flexible curriculum, with workbooks both for highly able children (Intensive Practice) and those needing extra help (Extra Practice).

We love SOTW 1 and Homeschool Tracker is looking to be a real blessing for me when it comes to planning. FLL 1+2 has also been wonderful, my son is really getting it. And I would recommend OPGTTR to anyone trying to teach their kids to read, my son has really blossomed in his reading this year and is doing really well with reading chapter books independently in his first grade year and I thank you and your mother for that. I stick pretty hard to WTM suggestions, but I will say I'm very excited about using Artistic Pursuits next year, it looks awesome and just the study I've been looking for to integrate learning to draw and learning about artists.

So conference season has begun again, which means I'm wandering around vendor booths after I speak, trying to figure out if there's anything new around that's worth recommending. I have to say that I haven't yet seen new stuff which makes me want to change my recommendations.

So I'm wondering. What do you think has been your single greatest curricula/book/program discovery in the past four or five years? The one that made you think: Thank goodness, I've finally solved THAT problem? I'm not looking for brand new programs here--I'm wondering which new OR classic curricula have given you Eureka moments.

SWB

My #1 Eureka moment came with Classical Writing once the Instructor Guides and Student workbooks were released. I really like this program and have seen tremendous growth in my boys' writing.

My #2 Eureka moment came with the release of the Elementary Greek series. I like the NT focus along with the ease of use.

Finally, I have felt very confident teaching math and grammar during the elementary years because of our continued use of the Rod & Staff programs.

Thanks for all that you do! I've really enjoyed the new boards, and I look forward to hearing you speak next month at the College Station Conference Center.

IMHO, to get the full benefit of the program, it is necessary to use the Challenging Word Problems books. It's also a very flexible curriculum, with workbooks both for highly able children (Intensive Practice) and those needing extra help (Extra Practice).

I agree. Challenging Word Problems books are wonderful for us.

I am about to embark on my fourth and final round of homeschooling starting from kindergarten. What I'm not going to change, and what has worked well for the four kids:

Phonics Pathways

Calvert Math grades 1-3 starting in kindergarten

Story of the World vol. 1-4

Spelling Workout & Plaid Phonics

A History of US

Singapore Math

Saxon Math 45/54, 56/65 and 67/76

Scholastic News

Wildiris

For the last 4-5 years it has been Tapestry of Grace.( using for 5 years) I have tried so many literature based "classical" type unit study programs.... this has truly been a blessing. I love it! Marcia has done what I never in a bazillion years could have!

(since we began homeschooling) Saxon Math for the younger grades, I have not used anything higher than 87.

Recent discoveries over the last 1-3 years: Teaching Textbooks, Analytical grammar and La Clase Divertida Spanish (for the younger crowd) These wont change for my youngest.... I dont think they will... :D

I know you don't generally look at materials aimed towards LD kids, but since I have a ragingly LD/ADHD boy, this spelling program has been a lifesaver!

We are reading SOTW 1, and he has really been enjoying that, and has requested we continue through all the books. We aren't doing much extra, just reading around 3 chapters a week. He's 12, at this point I just want him to get an overview of world history. So I guess SOTW is a "discovery" for us.

Another discovery for me is high interest/low readability textbooks. Obviously these aren't classical at all, and many homeschoolers are very anti-textbook. However, for many kids like mine, these special-ed texts are the best way to actually understand what they are learning.

I wish there could be a chapter on classical ed for LD/special learners in the next edition. Even if all it did was point out that some kids just are not going to be able to do WTM as written. It can be very discouraging for those of us with kids who really struggle to learn even the basics.

Thanks for these boards! Even though I'm not at all a classical ed homeschooler, I still love to hang out here!

Michelle T

I will have to second or third Lively Latin. I'll have to say, I went with recs from TWTM for 2 years and switched over this last semester to Lively Latin. I love that it gives explanations to things learned, rather than just giving a vocab list and/or prayer to memorize. I like the fact that it incorporates history into the program to make the language come alive. I like the fact that dd and I can just sit down, and read through the Latin lesson without much teacher prep. I like the fact that if I need help, I can e-mail the author. I like that my daughter actually really really enjoys Latin and has asked if she can now start Greek. I like that *I* have realized the joy and satisfaction in learning Latin {just for the sake of learning it} and that I have felt empowered to study it on my own, instead of just teaching it to my kids. Okay, that last little bit had nothing to do with Lively Latin, but I had to put it in there! :)

Perhaps because we started "late", and my kids weren't well-grounded in phonics. Perhaps because it teaches spelling the way *I* think about spelling. But Rod & Staff Spelling (3rd-6th) has been *wonderful* at teaching how letters come together to make sounds we call words, and it helps my kids think through how to spell words they haven't been explicitly taught.

I wasn't *quite* as thrilled with the 7th grade. I didn't see the roots being used to decipher meanings cross-curricularly. But, ds's spelling did continue to improve - so he knew how to spell the roots, anyway! I'm hoping to incorporate some of the WTM recs for VFCR to help boost the roots work next year in 8th.

=)

Rhonda

Thanks to Laura in China (soon to be Scotland), Galore Park! We love their Latin, Science, Study Skills, English, and hopefully more in the coming years. For a secular homeschooler, GP is a God send - :D

Laura is a true treasure on these boards. Thanks to her, I've also discovered Susan Strauss-Art's History bks as well.

These were our two favorite speakers.

Ginger had some amazing ideas on parenting through the scriptures. It seems like a "duh" concept, but how much do we really do it. Do we really speak God's word to our children when we discipline them, or do we just find a functional solution. Her book "Don't Make Me Count to Three" is what she used for most of her talks and she also offers an amazing resource, "Wise Words for Mom's" that hangs in our kitchen. Some of the ideas might sound like a bit of stretch, but as a mom of a 2 and 4 year old, I can say that her concepts actually work. I thought my kids would look at me like I was crazy, but it really worked. Check out her website at http://gingerplowman.com

Norm Wakefield was my husband's favorite and I would highly recommend it to all of the men out there. I don't tend to be a deep thinker, but even I thought his concepts on relationships were very good and solid.

http://www.spiritofelijah.com/

Erica

Thanks to Laura in China (soon to be Scotland), Galore Park! We love their Latin, Science, Study Skills, English, and hopefully more in the coming years. For a secular homeschooler, GP is a God send - :D

:iagree:

I'm working through Latin Prep as a refresher, and it has that rare combination of meat, clarity, and enthusiasm that makes me shiver a bit. :)

Hmmm. the things I recommend the most often (besides PHP of course) are probably Singapore Math... We switched to this after #1 son just couldn't find nough in the Saxon books to keep him going without the books being wildly mismatched as far as age/grade... He was doing 76 in third grade with no challenge at all. Math is his thing. He is happier in Singapore (most of the time) and I am happier knowin that he is having to actually think to get the answer.

RS4K Chemistry. For a math/science kid, this was absolutely the best science book we could have found. It is clear, understandable and presents concepts that I didn't learn until highschool or college. A chemistry prof friend of mine looked the book over and said it was the best chem. text she had ever seen. ds#1 still gets it out and reads it for fun.

well, my oldest is a 3rd grader so I'm not sure I can attest for anything that has stood the sands of time...

... but our steadfast winners have been:

Singapore Math: I agree that the curriculum should be recommended as a *whole* to see max benefits. PM + IP + CWP

Zaccaro's Primary Grade Challenge Math: this book is just fun.

SOTW + AG + CDs: But we really miss Barbara. The maps are just enough for grade schoolers, and the stories are engaging.

OPGTR: having tried 100EZL, SWR... this one is the open and go, perfect solution for reading. I think it works best with a dry erase board. The font is dizzying for a young one.

Spelling Wisdom: Granted, I use this for copywork and dictation, perhaps not exactly as meant. But I appreciate the selections and one-page-per-quote. Simply Charlotte Mason also has wonderful preK and early grammar reading lists.

So, Susan... does this mean you are considering revising WTM again???

Zaccaro's Primary Grade Challenge Math: this book is just fun.

... and his other books are great too. I have the whole set waiting for action. :)

So, Susan... does this mean you are considering revising WTM again???

I haven't read it on the PHP website, but I think I remember someone posting here that they heard a new edition was due out early 2009. True?? Myth??

SWB

When Tapestry of Grace (TOG) first came out, I had that Eureka moment. Then disaster hit, it was pulled, and I was left with all these resources I purchased for that particular program. I moved on. I still love TOG and have used 2 years of TOG (Classic) since it came back stronger than ever...and it's great! It just doesn't give me that Eureka feeling anymore.

I've been homeschooling for 10 years and it wasn't until I went to the WHO convention last weekend and heard you (Susan W. B.) speak that I finally got that AHA! moment. I finally realized two things. First, I don't need curricula (except for math) to do this thing called homeschooling and second, even in Classical Education I need to relax. My kids don't only have to read the classics. They can read Bionicles or other graphic novels if they so choose (they don't, yea!). They don't have to read and dissect 20 novels each year. They don't have to try to cover all subjects well in the high school years. They could, and should, spend time pursuing their interests/specialties.

I know it's been said repeatedly by you and others to relax, but for some reason, I wouldn't or couldn't hear it. The suggestions you make in the book are good ones. There are many, many others not listed in the book that are just as good. The answer is not the curriculum. The answer is us. I think Janice said it best, "Enjoy your little people. Enjoy your journey."