Menu

Do you use a record book or a planner/plans?

mommy5

Do you use a record book or planner?  

1. 1. Do you use a record book or planner?

• Yes ... both! (Please specify which brand...)
    • Only a record book.
    • Only a planner.
    • Neither. (Explain)

I'm wondering which one (if any) you use? Which one specifically? I found a system that works well for our family as far as organizing material by the week and quarter ... but now I'm wondering about keeping a list or record of what we've done each day/week for recording purposes. I will be making a "book" per kid either per quarter or per year which shows some of their work but not everything is "paper" and some of it involves reading and projects. Any ideas?

"Making a book per child" sounds interesting. I'll be curious to hear if anyone has done that.

I have a blank journal that I write plans in. A couple days ago I found a nice planner (not a homeschool one) that has enough space each day for lesson plans for two kids and I'm using that right now. I'm not worried about recording what we have done, rather I like to have a basic idea of where we are at and where we're heading.

I voted "only a record book" because I do keep a reliable log of what we do each day, as well as books completed (assigned and free reading). I just made myself sheets, print 'em out, and keep them in a binder.

For planning, I don't use any product or system, but boy, have I got plans! I do excel spreadsheets or word docs, mostly, but I have them for all subjects, usually over multiple years - I have a history scope & sequence through the end of 6th grade, as well as notes for 7-12th, a science sequence through the end of 8th, and an overall s&s by grade and subject. I am an uber-planner. It makes me happy. Once I get something down in a plan, I don't have to hold it in my head any longer, which makes me sleep better.

That said, my actually weekly plans are completely flexible. I have a basic framework (i.e. daily subjects, weekly subjects, etc.) but each week is different, so I plan week-by-week, on paper, *IN PENCIL* ;););) because it always changes! But, because of the uber-planning spreadsheets, it's easy to put together each week, because I've already done the thinking about what comes next. So, if I have 2 science sessions & 2 history sessions planned for next week, I just go to those planning spreadsheets, see what we're covering, if I need to prep or gather materials, put books on hold at the library, etc. Then I'm good to go for the week! Till something changes . . . :lol:

My oldest is in first grade so I'm still relatively new at homeschooling, so this may or may not change once he hits 3rd grade and we have to do the whole portfolio/evaluation thing (I'm in PA). Plus I'm only teaching him so far, so I don't know how that will change when his little brother "goes to school!"

What I do is print out blank calendar pages online and then just use a one or two-letter abbreviation for each subject...so each day I write down what we did. I pencil in a plan (usually only about a week at a time...so Friday as my son is having school I flip through and see what we should get accomplished for the next week).

Then as we actually do the lessons I penciled in, I write over them with a permanent pen* and erase the pencil marking underneath. I also pen in field trips, lessons (piano or swimming), homeschool group stuff, Cub Scouts, etc.

This is so generic an approach...but it works well for us. I know what we did & when. I haven't thought about what I will do when my little guy is in school until now -- I think I'll still print the calendar (maybe 2 weeks on a page vs. the whole month so I have more space?) and use different colored pens for both boys, but still the pencil/pen thing.

This is so basic...I can't imagine it's helpful to anyone?!?! haha

Oh, and the * by the "permanent pen" -- I am a pen nerd and I bought this pen literally 13 years ago. I only know because it was at a scrapbooking thing back when I first ever heard of scrapbooking. The Creative Memories lady said the pen would last a lifetime. Somehow I still have this pen, and it still works, 13 years later. So now I'm on a "mission" to 1) not lose it, and 2) see how long it really will last. It's one of those Micron permanent pens.

I use Homeschool Tracker Plus. This year, I actually did things a bit backwards b/c I didn't enter everything into a lesson plan first...I just entered it was we did things. I have a cheap little planner from Target $1 spot that I pre-planned things out in.

For the upcoming year, I actually have entered everything into the lesson plan feature and can just click "done" as we complete things. Should be MUCH easier for keeping up with things :)

I designed my own planner - by designed I mean, 1) I made some pages on my own, 2) I used premade pages from various homeschool planners that are free online and 3) I bound it with my Proclick.

I got tired of wasting money on planners that I never fully utilized. Not it has exactly what I want it in and because of Proclick it is spiral bound like I prefer. Binders just got too bulky for me.

I voted both. I use Homeschool Skedtrack free online. They didn't have an option to print weekly plans, but now they do. Yay! I was using weekly planner pages I made myself, just basic grid style and pencil. I would sit down on the weekend and write up our plans for the week. Before the beginning of the year I would enter all info for most subjects for the year on Homeschool Skedtrack. Now that I can print the week view I print instead of using pencil and paper. It rocks!

I designed my own planner - by designed I mean, 1) I made some pages on my own, 2) I used premade pages from various homeschool planners that are free online and 3) I bound it with my Proclick.

I got tired of wasting money on planners that I never fully utilized. Not it has exactly what I want it in and because of Proclick it is spiral bound like I prefer. Binders just got too bulky for me.

Interested in doing this! I bought a proclick and think this would be a good use for it!

For those of you who use Well Planned Day ... how does the PDF work? Is it printable or on the computer?

I voted: Both

Brands: My Own Creative Self and Tweaked Donna Young

We school year-round from January to December and I could not find a planner that allowed such a flexible format.

I took one of the planning pages off Donna Young's website and reformatted it to fit my needs.

My planner is in a thin 3-ring binder and I write out my plans by term in pencil to allow for changes.

I also like to keep a journal of sorts of our school years. This is divided by month, but includes seven days of the week so I have a place to record weekend activities. (Field trips, PE, etc.) This is in a nice, wide 3-ring binder so I can include examples of our work or print-outs from field trips.

I use the Daily Log Book from NARHS. I absolutely love it! I use it to record what we have done for the day. I like looking back on it and seeing how much my son has accomplished. :) The log book is spiral bound, lays flat, and has room for nine subjects. There are also boxes to keep track of hours per subject.

I don't really keep track of anything. I know we're going through our math curriculum, and I keep track of what books my readers have read, but I don't keep any log.

Sometimes I think I should, but it's not required by law in our state.

So, I'll be looking through and seeing what you all do!

I haven't done either so far. Mst of our curriculum is just 'do the next thing', so that's what we do. For example, we use Miquon...I counted out the number of pages in the two books we will use this year, and I know about how many we should get done weekly. Since we school year round, there is plenty of time to get everything done, and we are ahead in every subject minus reading (which has been out on hold due to VT). I'm ok with moving on to the next grade level one subject at a time, they dont all have to switch at the same time, kwim? I tried to make plans, but it was too hard to stick to them, :001_huh: so I just gave up and we do the next page/lesson in each book.

We do lesson plans and recording. All of it comes from donnayoung.org. My 5th grade ds and 3rd grade dd each have their own binder that I fill out at the beginning of the week. They follow that on their own. I keep my K ds and pre-K ds sheets in my binder with attendance sheets, journals, reading lists, lesson plans, etc. It works for us. :)

Nope, neither. I use HOD. I open the book and go. When finished with the day, I move my clip to the next day. Easy peasy. Same with AAS. For MUS, I tear the pages out of the student book so I know he does the next page.

With my now graduate, I kept a record of grades for transcripts for 9-12.

I voted both. Dd is in 9th grade this year, and she is using Well Planned Day's High school planner. I am keeping her grades in my notebook on a single subject grade sheet from Donna Young. It is by far the best thing I've found for keeping grades.

For ds in 3rd grade, I use this planner for Christian schools. They are cheaper if ordered in larger quantities, so I place an order every year for my homeschool group. With about 10 people ordering 1-2 each, they usually cost about $5-6 each including shipping. That is a pre-order price that is good for a limited time. There are samples that you can view for the 2 page spread. In the upper right corner of each day's subjects there are small boxes that are perfect for checking that it's done and for grades. There's room each week to write the spelling words for that week. There are helpful pages in the front and back as well (maps, math and reading helps, etc.).

I still do some planning on spread sheets, too, but that is my yearly planning in the summer. I also do the filing thing from the infamous filing thread but just for ds.

I plan the year in advance (basically divide each course/text by 36 weeks). Throughout the year, I print a dated check list for each child of their work to be completed for that week. I then file those completed checklists as a "record".

Tried planners...tried record books....tried homeschool tracker....tried another online planner thing.....tried all sorts of ways to plan....

NOW, we do the next thing. I put a date on the TOC. If I plan on reusing the book, I put the Childs initials and the date, so when I use again...I can date again.

If I feel like throwing in a worksheet, I do. If a kid needs a new and different approach, I use it.

I have a list of subjects at the beginning of our semester, and an idea of what I want accomplished, then instead of spending time writing it down, I just jump in. I have already taught all 4 years of history 4 times over.....I know the outline. I have taught 3rd grade math 6 times...I know the drill:D

I keep binders and a file box with finished work, dated with child's name for each quarter and use this for each kids quarterly report.

I do take a quick look on Sunday and see if I need any copies or supplies. I get those ready before Monday morning.

I'm trying to understand how exactly one does use a planner/lesson plans...so if you use them, what do you write? Is it something like, Monday - Lesson 3 in math? Or is it more detailed? I understand some people keep a record of what gets done for reporting purposes, but if you do it for your own reasons, why do you do it? I'm fascinated with planners, even though I can never seem to stick to them lol.

After trying some elaborate systems, this fourth year I settled on the simple, hardcover notebook. I just pencil in what we do each day.

As far as what materials and books, I make up a pretty Keynote presentation.

We're only doing kindy, but I got a ton of teacher planners from Target's Dollar Spot. In 1, I write what I plan to do thiis week, and in the other, I write what actually got done. I hope to plan in bigger chunks for next year, though.

I'm trying to understand how exactly one does use a planner/lesson plans...so if you use them, what do you write? Is it something like, Monday - Lesson 3 in math? Or is it more detailed? I understand some people keep a record of what gets done for reporting purposes, but if you do it for your own reasons, why do you do it? I'm fascinated with planners, even though I can never seem to stick to them lol.

I am probably on the compulsive side of doing this! For Math, I write each "section" on a separate line (meeting, lesson, fact sheet, flashcards, etc.) and LOVE putting a tidy little check mark after we have finished each portion. For Language Arts, I write spelling p. 78, FLL 28, copywork, grammar memory, etc. I also list each book we are using as a read aloud or go-along for every subject. I love seeing my neat column of check marks running down the page! I also write the number of the day of our school year up under the date (for example, we will be on Day 127 tomorrow). I do this purely because I like to track our progress, and because I love that feeling of satisfaction in seeing all that we have accomplished.

I think this must be such a personality- thing. Many (maybe most) people get no pleasure whatsoever from listing every thing they do in a day, but I thrive on it!:tongue_smilie:

...NOW, we do the next thing. I put a date on the TOC. If I plan on reusing the book.

If I feel like throwing in a worksheet, I do. If a kid needs a new and different approach, I use it.

I have a list of subjects at the beginning of our semester, and an idea of what I want accomplished, then instead of spending time writing it down, I just jump in. I have already taught all 4 years of history 4 times over.....I know the outline. I have taught 3rd grade math 6 times...I know the drill:D

LOL!

This is my first time through, but I do something similar in the TOC of each book for an overall idea of our year. It's a quick and easy way to see how we are progressing. I make a small line for where I want to be at the end of each month. It's then easy to adjust as needed.

On the other hand, for weekly planning I am on this end of the spectrum--

I am probably on the compulsive side of doing this! For Math, I write each "section" on a separate line (meeting, lesson, fact sheet, flashcards, etc.) and LOVE putting a tidy little check mark after we have finished each portion. For Language Arts, I write spelling p. 78, FLL 28, copywork, grammar memory, etc. I also list each book we are using as a read aloud or go-along for every subject. I love seeing my neat column of check marks running down the page! I also write the number of the day of our school year up under the date (for example, we will be on Day 127 tomorrow). I do this purely because I like to track our progress, and because I love that feeling of satisfaction in seeing all that we have accomplished.

I think this must be such a personality- thing. Many (maybe most) people get no pleasure whatsoever from listing every thing they do in a day, but I thrive on it!:tongue_smilie:

Me too!

I tried to only do the TOC planning, but needed a place to remind myself to review XYZ or to start a new book that just arrived.

So now I make plans much like ALB each week. I usually start out with just one or two days planned for the week and add days as the week progresses. This combo is working perfectly for us. I use this planner:

http://www.ataglance.com/ataglancestore/mwv/product/Poetica-Weekly-Monthly-Planner/772-905?searchClickId=0053400853%2C31&catId=&prodId=772-905

You might not be able to tell, but it has nature sketches on each page.

There are squares for 13 subjects Mon-Fri, 7 squares for Saturday and 5 for Sunday.

Tried planners...tried record books....tried homeschool tracker....tried another online planner thing.....tried all sorts of ways to plan....

NOW, we do the next thing. I put a date on the TOC. If I plan on reusing the book, I put the Childs initials and the date, so when I use again...I can date again.

I keep binders and a file box with finished work, dated with child's name for each quarter and use this for each kids quarterly report.

I do take a quick look on Sunday and see if I need any copies or supplies. I get those ready before Monday morning.

YES! And also... I write what we did on the day on an apoointment book (it was a freebie from dh's company) and whenever I get the chance I enter the data on HST+. This way I can keep a record of what we have done in case in need it and it is portable (good if you live overseas).

We keep a record of our work.

I have an Excel spreadsheet template that I made myself that I print off each week (meaning every 5 days -- a "week" rarely goes from M-F). It has the child's name and subjects listed, along w/ all the specific materials for each subject at the bottom. For example, for my 9yo's section, it has "Math - Math Mammoth 3" so I can remember what book we used. Then I just write down page numbers or whatever of what we actually did that day. For history or literature when we read specific books I write the title down. When we change materials, like moving from EtC 2 to EtC 3, I just change the template at the bottom.

I tried planning it out lesson by lesson, and that lasted about 2 weeks. :) For almost everything we use I don't need to plan; we just do the next thing. When I tried to plan and write down what I thought we should do, my plans would invariably get messed up for at least 1 subject. I would end up doing all this erasing and feeling down because we didn't get everything done like we were "supposed" to. Each week's plans get placed into a 3-ring binder divided into 36 weeks by tabs, recycled from our 1 year stint w/ SL.

I do have lots of Word and Excel docs made up w/ scope and sequence charts, book lists for history, etc. I LOVE planning, but didn't feel like it was a good use of my time for the day to day stuff. Life is just too unpredictable around here, I guess. :tongue_smilie:

I have our "ideal" schedule of study per week day written down. No pages or chapters but Monday: History, LA, Math, Phonics, Gymnastics

Tuesdays: Science, Handwriting, Phonics, Math....

and so goes our list.... then each week we do the next thing that comes in each area of study.

I tried documented plans and I never stuck with them because some days are harder than others topic wise for the kiddos.

Records wise; I have to keep attendance records, an annual progress report. I have these saved as word documents.. I have tried homeschool tracker and just can't keep up with it. I also have a tub of completed work that I compile into a binder every now and then when it gets full....

I use just a plain old Weekly/Monthly Planner from WalMart. I think the brand is Blue Sky. It has tabs for each month. Each month starts with a 2 page monthly calendar. I use that to keep track of our overall schedule (things like appointments, classes, meetings) and to keep track of our #'s of days of school. After that calendar, there are 2-page weekly spreads. I draw a line to divide the days down the middle (so I have a section for each child) and I write their assignments on each day. So far it has worked well to help us keep track of assignments (and DH and I take turns teaching so we have to be organized or no one would know where to pick up the next day).

I plan and keep records on the computer using a custom database (created by dh the database programmer). For my sanity it is necessary to have everything planned. It is also necessary to be able to easily change the plan, shuffle days etc. For my state, it is necessary to track the time we spend actually accomplishing what I plan. I am a laptop person and keep it all in one place and with me all the time. I can't imagine doing it on paper. I'd be constantly writing, erasing and writing again. I hate (hand)writing as much as my kids. That just wouldn't work.

For years, I used a Word document. I created a table for each day of the week, and would list everything my daughter needed to do. I'd just keep it open on my computer, and highlight the completed items in yellow. At the end of the week, I'd create a new document from my template, and cut and paste in anything that wasn't highlighted to move it over to the new week.

A few years ago, I switched to using the Catholic student planners from Pflaum. They're inexpensive and colorful, and the format fits us really well. I use the intermediate level planner for all the kids, because I really like the layout. Each kid gets their own planner (except my oldest, who doesn't need one this year.) On Sunday afternoon, I sit down and write out next week's assignments. Then they can get their work done without asking me what to do next.

For years, I used a Word document. I created a table for each day of the week, and would list everything my daughter needed to do.

This is exactly what I do. At the end of the week, i go through and update what was completed and store the file on my computer. Easy peasy.