Menu

Where have I been. . . Santorum homeschools 7 kids??

Two random comments on Santorum...

I was listening to something the other day about how they were criticized a lot for showing the baby they lost to his brothers and sisters. I think that is super crappy.

If you have not read about the google santorum issues... well, that's an interesting side note.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I suppose you're out of the loop for not knowing this about whomever that was.... I'd forgotten you guys were having an election sometime soon. It took me a bit to figure out your post :)

I had no idea who he was and google failed me on this one. Or didn't I suppose because I quickly clued in that this was the candidate with the "google problem" as it was being called. I'm not sure why I read any of it, and kinda wish I hadn't.:ack2:

Two random comments on Santorum...

I was listening to something the other day about how they were criticized a lot for showing the baby they lost to his brothers and sisters. I think that is super crappy.

If you have not read about the google santorum issues... well, that's an interesting side note.

LOL. I wish I'd read this warning pregoogling!

Just in case this is related to my link (because, well, everything is about me :tongue_smilie:), I mention the cyberschooling since it's thru a PUBLIC CHARTER school. So, officially, his children were using the services of public school. You know - the American school system he doesn't trust to educate his children.

Now who knows, maybe they just tweaked the public school materials so they could use the materials (for free) but didn't have to deal with all the people in public schools and could keep things in line with their faith.

However, I don't think I can say much more and not violate the "no politics" clause. other than to say no one had better tell me i should vote for him because "he's a homeschooling parent, too!"

I don't understand your objection. A lot of people homeschool this way, people who don't want their kids in ps.

I say we, as a country, put a stop to all campaigns, debates, and primaries and the people just go ahead and vote for the candidate based on his wife. Whaddya say? :D

Hey, that sounds fun. Ann Romney would make a wonderful role model for those dealing with disabilities and cancer (she has MS and is a breast cancer survivor). I don't know much about Carol Paul, but she seems like a nice lady. And then Mrs Gingrich....wait...do we just go with the current Mrs. Gingrich and ignore the other two, or should we take them into account in a sort of once removed kind of fashion...?

I haven't paid attention to recent politics and had no real idea who this guy even was. So, I googled.

Now I want to wash my eyes out with bleach. Thank god I didn't click on anything, but the little "teaser" sentence with each link was aplenty.

:bored: :ack2:

Resuming my stance of ignoring current politics.

OHHHHHH......that explains why the Duggars were in town when Rick Santorum was here.

I had no idea! :lol:

The Duggars have endorsed Rick Santorum for President and from what I understand, Jim Bob and the older kids have traveled with the Santorum group stumping for votes. I know one of the Duggars did a press gig during the time Santorum had to fly up back to PA when his baby girl was in the hospital. (I think the oldest Duggar boy -- name escapes me but the married one -- is interested in a law degree and is doing College Plus! for his undergrad studies. He wants to go into politics.)

And other evangelical groups like Dr. Dobson and others have endorsed Santorum.

Personally, I'm kind of lukewarm with his conservative platform and views. Really love the fact he has a homeschooling family.

But at the same time, I'm like, "Meh." with Gingrich and Romney. (I do not care for Newt one bit. Did anyone know that Callista Gingrich is 46? Um, I could have sworn she was older... by the style of her wardrobe and hairstyle. Eeeek.) :D But I do love an underdog like Santorum! Still have yet to make up my mind.

There's an interesting article in the cloud about why Mary Pride supports Ron Paul and why Santorum's educational choices for his family are irrelevant to his candidacy (obviously y'all know this--just saying what I remember from the article).

Also, Everyday Graces has a lot of celebrity endorsements, including Bono and Jane Seymour.

There's an interesting article in the cloud about why Mary Pride supports Ron Paul and why Santorum's educational choices for his family are irrelevant to his candidacy (obviously y'all know this--just saying what I remember from the article).

Also, Everyday Graces has a lot of celebrity endorsements, including Bono and Jane Seymour.

Is it this one?

http://communities.washingtontimes.com/neighborhood/not-your-average-read/2012/feb/16/ron-paul-and-mary-pride-homeschooler-supports-libe/

Is it really for anyone to judge another person's means of schooling? I may not like the Santorums (at all) but how they do homeschooling is not my business. I admire any parent who educates their children well, regardless of if it is how I would choose to do it. Being First Lady is NOT really conducive to being inside the White House 5 days a week, a lot of travel and entertaining is part of the job. I also agree that the cyber schooling thing is a non-issue. If a Senator from a state is not a resident, I don't know who is. I assume the Santorums paid taxes in their home state, even if they really lived in VA. Of course it is all moot. He is not going to get the nomination.

Knowing the difference between homeschooling and tutoring is not "judging."

So I ask again: in order to be "actually" homeschooling you must teach your kids every subject yourself, at home, using no outside help whatsoever including online courses, co-ops, or CC classes?

Heather, c'mon -- you know that's not what Ellie said. :tongue_smilie: It's the whole public school thing. If you do your schooling under the auspices of the public school, even if you do the work at home, you're still officially a public school student according to the state and the school district (the lady at the superintendent's office reminds me of that whenever I bring something related to this up). Although parents can certainly think of themselves as homeschoolers, to be sure!

Heather, c'mon -- you know that's not what Ellie said. :tongue_smilie: It's the whole public school thing. If you do your schooling under the auspices of the public school, even if you do the work at home, you're still officially a public school student according to the state and the school district (the lady at the superintendent's office reminds me of that whenever I bring something related to this up). Although parents can certainly think of themselves as homeschoolers, to be sure!

Well, then I would say if the Santorums are using online classes but doing them at home and calling themselves homeschoolers, then they are homeschoolers.

Most homeschoolers I know do not leave public schools because of the curriculum. They leave because of the system, the teachers, the immoral atmosphere, etc.

So the fact that someone takes classes online that are offered by a public school system is no different than someone who takes classes online through Potter's School.

When Santorum says he does not have faith in public schools, I'd be willing to bet he means quality of teachers, classroom management, time on task, secularism, etc. and not so much the math textbook they use.

Most homeschoolers I know do not leave public schools because of the curriculum. They leave because of the system, the. teachers, the immoral atmosphere, etc.

So the fact that someone takes classes online that are offered by a public school system is no different than someone who takes classes online through Potter's School.

When Santorum says he does not have faith in public schools, I'd be willing to bet he means quality of teachers, classroom management, time on task, secularism, etc. and not so much the math textbook they use.

Really? Most homeschoolers I know do it because they want to be the ones making the decisions for their child's education [ETA - and because they believe they can do a better job of it, and of accomplishing the goal]. They don't want to turn that over to the state. So if the public school receives state funding for a student, and has the final say when it comes to curriculum content, grades, grade level, whether their standards were met for graduation, etc. -- if their name is on the diploma -- to most of the homeschoolers I chat with, that's a public school education.

Which is FINE! I don't have a problem with state-sponsored education if that's what people want to do. I don't understand why there's an aversion to being affiliated with the public schools when you're using their programs. Own up to it already. That sounds like I'm being snarky but I'm really not. I don't care which people choose and won't say one is better than the other.

Edited by milovaný

Knowing the difference between homeschooling and tutoring is not "judging."

I fail to see why it matters to you. The Santorums can educate their children as they see fit.

Do you really seriously think that the wife of a fmr Senator on the presidential campaign trail has time to be the only or even most of the time educator of her children? I doubt it and it does not make them any less that other homeschoolers for using cyber schools or tutors or whatever they do to make it work. My dad helps my son tie flys and do math puzzles during breaks while I write from home for paid work as a professional. That does not mean our son is not learning at home any more than sending him to piano lessons or cub scouts does. :glare:

:iagree:

Well, then I would say if the Santorums are using online classes but doing them at home and calling themselves homeschoolers, then they are homeschoolers.

Most homeschoolers I know do not leave public schools because of the curriculum. They leave because of the system, the teachers, the immoral atmosphere, etc.

Honestly, I think Santorum is a step backward for women.

Who is he to say women should not work outside the home? Isn't that a family decision.

I don't like his views on women in the military either.

My dd has choices today, that I didn't have. And because my dd has choices my ds also has choices no one would considered a few years ago.

It's nice they homeschool. I like that people should have that choice too.

You can have your own definition, but I think the following is generally considered a definition of homeschooling

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homeschooling

Homeschooling

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Homeschooling or homeschool (also called home education or home based learning) is the education of children at home, typically by parents but sometimes by tutors, rather than in other formal settings of public or private school. Although prior to the introduction of compulsory school attendance laws, most childhood education occurred within the family or community,[1] homeschooling in the modern sense is an alternative in developed countries to attending public or private schools.

Homeschooling is a legal option for parents in most countries to provide their children with a learning environment as an alternative to public or private schools outside the home. Parents cite numerous reasons as motivations to homeschool their children. The three reasons that are selected by the majority of homeschooling parents in the United States are concern about the traditional school environment, to provide religious or moral instruction, and dissatisfaction with academic instruction at traditional public and private schools. Homeschooling may also be a factor in the choice of parenting style. Homeschooling can be an option for families living in isolated rural locations, living temporarily abroad, and to allow for more traveling; also many young athletes and actors are taught at home. Homeschooling can be about mentorship and apprenticeship, where a tutor or teacher is with the child for many years and then knows the child very well.

Homeschooling may also refer to instruction in the home under the supervision of correspondence schools or umbrella schools. In some places, an approved curriculum is legally required if children are to be home-schooled.[2] A curriculum-free philosophy of homeschooling may be called unschooling, a term coined in 1977 by American educator and author John Holt in his magazine Growing Without Schooling. In some cases a liberal arts education is provided using the trivium and quadrivium as the main model.

When I first started homeschooling I read that Jackie Kennedy didn't want her kids subjected to the reporters trailing them etc. So she set up a school on White House grounds (I think I've got this right) and included cousins etc. She hired teachers and basically put together a little school.

I always liked to tell my mom -- who is against homeschooling -- that Jackie Kennedy homeschooled! That always made her so mad!

:lol:

Honestly, I think Santorum is a step backward for women.

Who is he to say women should not work outside the home? Isn't that a family decision.

I don't like his views on women in the military either.

My dd has choices today, that I didn't have. And because my dd has choices my ds also has choices no one would considered a few years ago.

It's nice they homeschool. I like that people should have that choice too.

I agree.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

That's what I thought.

Glad I brought a smile to your face. :D :grouphug:

And by "actually homeschool," I would want to see a room set up in the White House with the First Lady actually in there teaching her own children, as opposed to the children having tutors for everything.

I would be ok with tutors. I love tutors and love that method of hs. Use several private tutors myself! ;)

And by "actually homeschool," I would want to see a room set up in the White House with the First Lady actually in there teaching her own children, as opposed to the children having tutors for everything.

Except for the occasional photo op, highly unlikely IMO.

Edited by Teachin'Mine

:iagree: This is very frustrating to me. I homeschool my children. One of them uses an online charter. I homeschool her as much - if not more than I do the others. The curriculum we use happens to be provided through the state. Next year, that won't be available to us and we will use the exact same currriculum, just paying for it independantly. Do I get to count as a 'real' homeschooler then?

I mean, his wife homeschools their seven kids. I didn't register this until today.

Did everyone know this but me?

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mckaycoppins/santorum-ill-home-school-in-the-white-house

Alley

I had no idea.

I would be ok with tutors. I love tutors and love that method of hs. Use several private tutors myself! ;)

I know several homeschoolers who send their middle school/high school kids to tutorials for their entire education. The are still considered homeschoolers and I'm fine with that. Educational freedom is a good thing.

Really? Most homeschoolers I know do it because they want to be the ones making the decisions for their child's education [ETA - and because they believe they can do a better job of it, and of accomplishing the goal]. They don't want to turn that over to the state. So if the public school receives state funding for a student, and has the final say when it comes to curriculum content, grades, grade level, whether their standards were met for graduation, etc. -- if their name is on the diploma -- to most of the homeschoolers I chat with, that's a public school education.

Which is FINE! I don't have a problem with state-sponsored education if that's what people want to do. I don't understand why there's an aversion to being affiliated with the public schools when you're using their programs. Own up to it already. That sounds like I'm being snarky but I'm really not. I don't care which people choose and won't say one is better than the other.

I tend to agree with this. It is one thing to call yourself a homeschooler and do field trips and such with your local homeschool group. However, I disagree with putting down the public school system as unable to educate your kids, when your kids are enrolled there and you use their materials. It is not about being a "real" homeschooler or anyone judging your choices. It is about trying to appeal to everyone. You wind up not appealing to anyone.

It's very encouraging to hear this talk about how it's up to the parents to decide which education path is best; such a change from the last election talk about candidates' kids....I really hope Santorum won't take away the right to public education..remember when so many were SURE someone would do that to homeschoolers???

...such progressive talk is refreshing.

Seriously, where did hear him say anything like that? :confused:

I tend to agree with this. It is one thing to call yourself a homeschooler and do field trips and such with your local homeschool group. However, I disagree with putting down the public school system as unable to educate your kids, when your kids are enrolled there and you use their materials. It is not about being a "real" homeschooler or anyone judging your choices. It is about trying to appeal to everyone. You wind up not appealing to anyone.

I respectfully disagree. One of my son's is enrolled in our public online school. His curriculum is completely different from our public school's. Also, I am the one teaching him. When he reads the book and we discuss it, I get to guide him through his thought processes the way I see fit. It is a FAR cry from sending him to the local school. (FWIW - our local ps is a great school. I am not anti-ps at all.) In addition, many of the problems that homeschoolers have with ps have nothing at all to do with the actual books. The problems tend to be with: bullies, teaching to the test, teachers, administrators, teachers not being able to meet their ind. child's needs, etc. And, on a more personal note, we are withdrawing ds from the online school because we are running into the same problems many have with ps - rigidity, being told to slow ds down rather than allow him to learn at his own pace, etc. I feel I now understand some ps problems better now that I have had this experience.

I think you can have your child in online ps and still think that ps ought to do a better job for those who cannot choose the online/private/homeschool path.

I respectfully disagree. One of my son's is enrolled in our public online school. His curriculum is completely different from our public school's. Also, I am the one teaching him. When he reads the book and we discuss it, I get to guide him through his thought processes the way I see fit. It is a FAR cry from sending him to the local school. (FWIW - our local ps is a great school. I am not anti-ps at all.) In addition, many of the problems that homeschoolers have with ps have nothing at all to do with the actual books. The problems tend to be with: bullies, teaching to the test, teachers, administrators, teachers not being able to meet their ind. child's needs, etc. And, on a more personal note, we are withdrawing ds from the online school because we are running into the same problems many have with ps - rigidity, being told to slow ds down rather than allow him to learn at his own pace, etc. I feel I now understand some ps problems better now that I have had this experience.

I think you can have your child in online ps and still think that ps ought to do a better job for those who cannot choose the online/private/homeschool path.

Sorry, I was not clear enough. Please let me clarify. Rick Santorum has made some specific allegations against the public school system that I believe show some hypocrisy since he is using the public school system. I agree with some of what you say; I agree with some of what he says. However, I find some of his words and actions to be inconsistent with one another in this regard. Is that clear but vague enough? :)

Sorry, I was not clear enough. Please let me clarify. Rick Santorum has made some specific allegations against the public school system that I believe show some hypocrisy since he is using the public school system.

Would you mind linking to some of these allegations? I haven't yet read anything about this but I want to be well-informed.

Thanks!

If we don't stay on topic with this thread, it will be deleted. I think your post is moving toward dangerous territory.

RE: Political Threads SWB says:

I don't want to see political threads here that have nothing to do with home schooling. It was the last presidential election that forced us to ban political avatars, slogans, and partisan discussions. I'm already seeing threads that appear to be posted simply to start political arguments. Not interested, people. Chat about something else, here. Or go talk about politics, somewhere else.

Simple. :001_smile:

Sorry, I was not clear enough. Please let me clarify. Rick Santorum has made some specific allegations against the public school system that I believe show some hypocrisy since he is using the public school system. I agree with some of what you say; I agree with some of what he says. However, I find some of his words and actions to be inconsistent with one another in this regard. Is that clear but vague enough? :)

Absolutely. emoticon-misc-012.gif Great job walking the fine line between clear and vague and staying within board rules. ;) Pretty sure I get enough of your meaning. I will do my own research. Hadn't read much about his statements on the topic. Always good to know what any candidate has to say about education. :)

It is one thing to call yourself a homeschooler and do field trips and such with your local homeschool group. However, I disagree with putting down the public school system as unable to educate your kids, when your kids are enrolled there and you use their materials. It is not about being a "real" homeschooler or anyone judging your choices. It is about trying to appeal to everyone. You wind up not appealing to anyone.

:iagree:

The Rick Santorum I know is a man of conviction who doesn't back down from his beliefs, but he is not one to force everyone to believe what he believes. Also, his wife is a lovely woman who does indeed homeschool their children while caring for their special needs child.

Ahh, so it's ok to make allegations but not back them. Gotcha. ;)

The original article mentioned some things and I commented on them back several pages.

I'm not trying to say that people who use Cyber Charters aren't homeschoolers (same for people who use tutors or whatever - I don't honestly care how you self-identify). What I took issue with was someone condemning the public education system when he had made use of their services for several years.

http://www.thepoliticalguide.com/Profiles/Senate/Pennsylvania/Rick_Santorum/Views/Education/

the government has convinced parents that at some point it's [the education of the children] no longer their responsibility. And in fact, they force them, in many respects, to turn their children over to the public education system and wrest control from them and block them out of participation of that.

Now, maybe he's more down on FEDERAL involvement in education and considers it a states' rights issue (crap - am I taking this too far down the political road?), but the issue is someone saying "Public education is BAD" and then using the Public education system to educate your children (and waving the homeschooling flag).

THAT SAID, I know you're allowed to complain about the public school system if your children attend (and even if they don't). The issue I have is that the image he has presented is one where he is educating his children free from government involvement and that's disingenuous.