Menu

I guess I am not up on the latest educational research

I attended my first school board meeting last night. The presentation for the evening was a slide show highlighting the latest educational advances - bouncy balls (exercise balls).

The school has taken away the chairs in a middle school classroom and replaced them with bouncy balls. The bouncy balls are touted to improve posture and focus in class since unlike a chair, it is impossible to fall asleep on a bouncy ball and still remain seated.

I must be behind the times since I had never heard of these bouncy balls before. My brother told me last night that his p.s. dd has not sat in a chair for the past two years; her classes use bouncy balls.

Are bouncy balls being used in your local p.s? I can't imagine my kids being happy balancing on a ball all day.:confused:

I attended my first school board meeting last night. The presentation for the evening was a slide show highlighting the latest educational advances - bouncy balls (exercise balls).

The school has taken away the chairs in a middle school classroom and replaced them with bouncy balls. The bouncy balls are touted to improve posture and focus in class since unlike a chair, it is impossible to fall asleep on a bouncy ball and still remain seated.

I must be behind the times since I had never heard of these bouncy balls before. My brother told me last night that his p.s. dd has not sat in a chair for the past two years; her classes use bouncy balls.

Are bouncy balls being used in your local p.s? I can't imagine my kids being happy balancing on a ball all day.:confused:

As to the bolded, well my dh has blown that theory out of the water.

Ds and I used them for a few years. I wouldn't think they'd be right for every kid, but they were great for ds, plus I liked it. Ds would get into a bouncing mood every once in a while, but most of the time it was just enough movement to help him focus. Now he just fidgets with stuff. He has great abs though, I know it helped with that.

We just haven't blown them up since we moved. Ds's is filled with sand, so it stays in place.

We use them at home - I can't imagine using them in a room full of middle-schoolers though. For my 5 yo- who can't sit still- it is a fun way to get him to remain in one spot long enough for me to try to stuff information into his little head!

:iagree: My ds has SID and they are wonderful. It was recommended by our OT.

I would try it in one or two class rooms to start with. I'm not sure I would just sell every chair in the school and go to all bouncy balls.

But I think for some kids, it would be a great thing. I know my middle school boys would benefit from it, at least part time.

You are lucky your school district is willing to consider things that are child focused!

like this. Did they discuss curriculum or academic goals at all?

It amazes me that the public would let a school board get away with a presentation like this.

Get a clue Joe Public; don't let them distract you with bouncy balls. Make them focus on the real purpose of public education - effectively educating the young.

Dd uses a bouncy ball for a chair during school. It is MUCH easier for her to focus/concentrate when she's using it as opposed to a chair. Ds, on the other hand, is not allowed to use one at all. He can't focus when he's on one b/c he's so busy bouncing around all over the place.

I would think that would be the case -- some kids would do well with them, some would be awful. And for a huge segment, it wouldn't matter one way or the other.

Some kids have trouble sitting in chairs so they are going to the bouncy balls but will find that some kids have trouble on the balls. I can't imagine they'll see some huge significant difference. FWIW, my son used one when he was about 6 years old. It helped him focus. He would bounce several times, sitting in one place, then write for a bit, then bounce a bit more, then write. It did help him sit at the table for a longer period of time. I don't remember using it more than a few months and he didn't seem to need it anymore.

I have seen the chairs that hold those balls. Here is one at Target. I wonder if they are going to use something similar so the balls aren't rolling around everywhere.

We also had an OT recommend sitting on a bouncy ball while doing school work. A student can take in information better when it's integrated with some sort of physical component - in theory, anyway!

We found it helpful. However, I couldn't imagine a whole class on them! It is very easy to fall off backwards and crack your head on the floor. Do they make the students wear helmets while using the balls?

Drive the teacher crazy, indeed!

like this. Did they discuss curriculum or academic goals at all?

It amazes me that the public would let a school board get away with a presentation like this.

Get a clue Joe Public; don't let them distract you with bouncy balls. Make them focus on the real purpose of public education - effectively educating the young.

This was my thought as well as I sat there. As far as the board was concerned, the bouncy balls were addressing the academic goals since research said it helped the kids remain focused.

The school is on a block schedule, and each class is 85 minutes long and lasts only one semester. The teacher also was demonstrating the "brain breaks" he implemented during class time using the bouncy ball. These "brain breaks" consist of mini exercises with the bouncy ball to help energize the kids since it is difficult to remain focused for 85 minutes.

My thought as I was sitting there is why have an 85 minute class if it is impossible for the kids to remain focused. :confused: Obviously, an 85 minute class for only one semester conducted in this manner with multiple breaks is not equivalent to a year- long 42 minute class with no breaks.

Maybe if the school wanted to increase its students' academic abilities, it should look at eliminating block scheduling and have each class last one whole year rather than spending money on bouncy balls.

I left the meeting thinking, "This is just one more reason I am glad I homeschool."

they are actually very good for sensory kids who need to move all the time. they can "move", but they also have to work to sit at their desk - they get the input they need. I have a "disk" for my son to sit on at his chair, but he doens't like it.

My chiro recommended replacing a chair with a ball several years ago - works the core while sitting at the computer and is very good for the back.

I think that would have killed my back. I have a spinal curvature and could ony be comfortable for long periods when I had some lumbar support or, failing that, I could scrunch and lean in my chair. However, I don't have a problem with some kids using them if they help. I'd hate for it to be required for everyone.

I'm having trouble imagining standing in front of a room full of kids on bouncy balls. If I was the teacher, I would be motion sick.

Lol,, I can imagine how productive and focused 12-13-year-old boys in a room full of giant bouncy balls would be. :tongue_smilie:

My oldest struggles with ADHD and sitting on an exercise ball can help because it gives her an approved outlet for her energy and need to wiggle.

I actually find this interesting beyond the whole school board thing. My son is quite wiggly and I may need to try this for him. Of course my daughter would then want one too, and now with all the core mentions, Mama would use the one she already has. lol. They aren't cheap, but I could see how for my son they might really be helpful for him.

Thanks for the question to get my gears turning!

I actually find this interesting beyond the whole school board thing. My son is quite wiggly and I may need to try this for him. Of course my daughter would then want one too, and now with all the core mentions, Mama would use the one she already has. lol. They aren't cheap, but I could see how for my son they might really be helpful for him.

Thanks for the question to get my gears turning!

Target. $10. :D

This was my thought as well as I sat there. As far as the board was concerned, the bouncy balls were addressing the academic goals since research said it helped the kids remain focused.

The school is on a block schedule, and each class is 85 minutes long and lasts only one semester. The teacher also was demonstrating the "brain breaks" he implemented during class time using the bouncy ball. These "brain breaks" consist of mini exercises with the bouncy ball to help energize the kids since it is difficult to remain focused for 85 minutes.

My thought as I was sitting there is why have an 85 minute class if it is impossible for the kids to remain focused. :confused: Obviously, an 85 minute class for only one semester conducted in this manner with multiple breaks is not equivalent to a year- long 42 minute class with no breaks.

Maybe if the school wanted to increase its students' academic abilities, it should look at eliminating block scheduling and have each class last one whole year rather than spending money on bouncy balls.

I left the meeting thinking, "This is just one more reason I am glad I homeschool."

:iagree: about the block scheduling. This is what they do at the high school in which my DH teaches. Last semester he had a 3 hour class. :001_huh: He hates it, but he says they will never change it.

:iagree: about the block scheduling. This is what they do at the high school in which my DH teaches. Last semester he had a 3 hour class. :001_huh: He hates it, but he says they will never change it.

Wow. Eighty-five minutes in the maximum here; I can't imagine a three hour class.

I think this type of block scheduling is really detrimental to student development, especially in the areas of math and foreign language. Some of these kids may have math or foreign language 1st semester of one year and not be scheduled for the next sequence until the 2nd semester of the next year.

I have read various articles detailing how much a student loses with a summer break. Imagine having to teach the next sequence of math or foreign language when the students haven't had the subject for a full year.

The AP kids also suffer. Many of the AP classes finish the middle of January, but the students have to wait until May to take the exam.

However, block scheduling is good for the bottom line since the school only needs to purchase 1/2 as many textbooks. I wonder how much the bouncy balls are eating into the savings?

Wow. Eighty-five minutes in the maximum here; I can't imagine a three hour class.

I think this type of block scheduling is really detrimental to student development, especially in the areas of math and foreign language. Some of these kids may have math or foreign language 1st semester of one year and not be scheduled for the next sequence until the 2nd semester of the next year.

I have read various articles detailing how much a student loses with a summer break. Imagine having to teach the next sequence of math or foreign language when the students haven't had the subject for a full year.

The AP kids also suffer. Many of the AP classes finish the middle of January, but the students have to wait until May to take the exam.

However, block scheduling is good for the bottom line since the school only needs to purchase 1/2 as many textbooks. I wonder how much the bouncy balls are eating into the savings?

Yep, I agree with all of that and so do most of the teachers in DH's school. You are right. The bottom line is the reason it will never change.

I'm having trouble imagining standing in front of a room full of kids on bouncy balls. If I was the teacher, I would be motion sick.

Just made me smile. I can just see the class moving like a giant wave.

I must admit I would not like a bouncy ball as a chair, even as a kid. My dh might have liked on, but would have had trouble staying on since he moves about a lot.

I have looked at a plastic chair that holds an excerise ball. I think it would help my oldest. But that does not sound like what you are talking about. I am picturing a room full of kids on those balls with a handle that we used to play with as kids.

UQzLzblNBS2IN7xL-LHIXVy_RG-fVW8knKgKRosxYbCteajeUTUIvpcIKJJ7yd2UavGRKybQoY84Lw5eN0Pq02kKqXVvEV9U3xn9Q5lMRB6dI3OCUxHVY1vo_GFC79YnFox3pVflKWJU1GJCUUvByuST4F-0WiGmCoHWoAEOqr41INtOBGm1-gYay_s4S7KAgaxan00TVI2Nh37a90UdzsZCxRdVF0NoDylLP3G4-qGIOZbIMa9PzPZeJtCFQYWcMzbq6btdrNY7r3kADQFJLNM0syjs2RSL59hitVtQmLVvCdAht8nXghl2HjrGM0s=s220-cJu9p1F1sxX6gkaA1CiZ2qw_6W99EGHcevmtAUEBRMFZ31kd8_yyPqKUqfQhx7PhYl3rhu-wH-5UhA-wBBka82BK7-wQQfDSUYEo3qwn0qudVt7MSypcis7KO8UDg8j6uaAFJzosX1O1c3FiwkwyAYFPmh-P2=s220-c

I used one 4-5 years ago with a little boy in my Latin class who had real trouble sitting still and being focused. I'm having trouble imagining using them for a whole class, but for certain students, they can be helpful. I prefer the sort that have little feet (there are a few different designs) so they can't be rolled -- that can be pretty distracting, lol -- but yes,they *can* be very helpful.

I used one 4-5 years ago with a little boy in my Latin class who had real trouble sitting still and being focused. I'm having trouble imagining using them for a whole class, but for certain students, they can be helpful. I prefer the sort that have little feet (there are a few different designs) so they can't be rolled -- that can be pretty distracting, lol -- but yes,they *can* be very helpful.

We have two? three? of those balls. I just find them annoying since they are constantly being rolled around. They just seem to end up in the hall and need to be pushed/kicked out of the way and then they end up somewhere even more annoying.

Perhaps if we had a different house and/or different other furniture.

I have looked at a plastic chair that holds an excerise ball. I think it would help my oldest. But that does not sound like what you are talking about. I am picturing a room full of kids on those balls with a handle that we used to play with as kids.

These balls did not have feet or a handle. They did have a little bit of sand in them which I would also find distracting since the sand swishing around also makes noise. I think it would be difficult to write sitting on one of these.