Menu

Confess - When were you first given an unsolicited senior discount?

I got mine a few months ago, at the ripe old age of 41, for a McDonald's coffee. When I looked at the receipt and saw the discount, I couldn't stop laughing. I threatened my family with framing it and putting it on the wall.

Money is tight. I guess I'll take my discounts where I can get them. :D

Pegasus

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My neighbor did! She was so excited when they asked her if she "gets" the discount! Not knowing what it was, she said, "sure". She said she looked at the receipt to see what a deal she got as she was walking out of the store. When she found out it was for senior citizens (and she's 44), she wasn't sure if she should be excited over the discount or sad because she looks old!

I think it's funny, because it hasn't happened to me .... yet!:D

:001_huh:

Ok, you ladies have brightened my day, 'cause I can feel good that I've not had that happen.

Of course I'm 34, so I'm hoping I have QUITE a while before I encounter that.

And I must ask, just what IS the tactful way for an employee to ask if you qualify for the senior discout?! I mean, all of us over 25 *like* being carded to prove we're over 18 or 21. :D But I don't think most people would like being mistaken for being a 'senior' when they're not. Perhaps the most tactful thing is for an employee not to offer, but only extend the discount if someone asks? I don't know. But if I were an employee, I'm sure I'd eventually think 'Well this lady is for SURE old enough for our senior discout', then I'd get brave and offer it, and of COURSE I'd be wrong and have offended someone. :lol:

Get asked all the time when I go to Goodwill. I am 45 but I do have a lot of gray hair. But what was even worse was in invitation I got in the mail for me and 4 of my closest friends (60 +) to have a free lunch and listen to a lecture on retirement options. That thing got shredded. :glare:

I may have awhile for that one as I look a little younger than I am. I doubt my mother has ever been asked. But I kinda think this is a bad one to offer anyone who appears under 90. It is kinda like asking someone who appears 3-6 months pregnant when they are due just to find out they had their last kid six years ago.

I'm an older mom, but not that old yet. A couple of years ago, I was offered senor discounts on a regular basis. Finally, I realized I was getting gray noticeably. Using Clairol and throwing away my mommy jeans have made all the difference. I haven't been asked about senor discounts in a long time.

Ann

:001_huh:

And I must ask, just what IS the tactful way for an employee to ask if you qualify for the senior discout?! I mean, all of us over 25 *like* being carded to prove we're over 18 or 21. :D But I don't think most people would like being mistaken for being a 'senior' when they're not. Perhaps the most tactful thing is for an employee not to offer, but only extend the discount if someone asks? I don't know. But if I were an employee, I'm sure I'd eventually think 'Well this lady is for SURE old enough for our senior discout', then I'd get brave and offer it, and of COURSE I'd be wrong and have offended someone. :lol:

When I work on Wednesdays, I no longer ask. I just give the discount if the customer looks "deserving". Started doing this after I had a customer on the verge of tears because I asked her about a discount. Not asking is safer ad nicer.

When I work on Wednesdays, I no longer ask. I just give the discount if the customer looks "deserving". Started doing this after I had a customer on the verge of tears because I asked her about a discount. Not asking is safer ad nicer.

Ah, aren't you lovely :001_smile:. I'll be 48 tomorrow. Any tips on how to look 'deserving'? :D

Best wishes

Cassy

I try to be nice about being asked, I am not going to get all in a huff about it.

One time, at Goodwill :), a young lady asked me and I said, "No, but since you asked, you should give it to me.", in a nice way of course. So she did. Then she went on telling me about someone that she had asked, that got all huffy puffy, threw their items down on the counter and left. Saying they were so insulted just by her asking.:001_huh: Good grief.

I got my first one in 2007, when I was 39. My daughter and I had gone to see a movie and I noticed later that I'd been given a senior discount.

I was often mistaken for "grandma" when our oldest daughter was living at home and I was out with all three kids at once. She is 10 years older than the middle child and 14 years older than our youngest. People would assume she was the mom of the baby and I was grandma.

Get asked all the time when I go to Goodwill. I am 45 but I do have a lot of gray hair. But what was even worse was in invitation I got in the mail for me and 4 of my closest friends (60 +) to have a free lunch and listen to a lecture on retirement options. That thing got shredded. :glare:

I'm 45 and under the contents of a box of hair color I'm completely gray. I started going gray at 25 so 20 years later the damage is done. My friend is 49 and has a few gray hairs.

I've not yet been offered a senior discount. I have been asked if dd is my dd or my granddaughter.

You will need more gray hair, Cassy. You look younger than I do.

That's a very kind thing to say to an old lady :tongue_smilie:. The lack of grey hair is hereditary, my grandmother still had about 50% of her natural colour hair when she died aged 87.

First thing of a morning on a bad day, I look 87 ;).

Best wishes

Cassy

I'm 45 and under the contents of a box of hair color I'm completely gray. I started going gray at 25 so 20 years later the damage is done. My friend is 49 and has a few gray hairs.

I've not yet been offered a senior discount. I have been asked if dd is my dd or my granddaughter.

I have a sil who is several years younger than I am, she is solid gray. She no longer colors her hair and she still looks very young. Her hair is very pretty. Mine is salt and pepper, more salt than pepper. I have been thinking about coloring my hair, just haven't made the jump yet.

Well, I'm almost 43 and still get asked for ID when I purchase a bottle of wine. Part of the reason I decided to stop coloring my hair was so that people would stop thinking I'm a teenager. I don't dress like a teenager, but I have a baby face, so I think it will be awhile before people start giving me senior discounts!

That's a very kind thing to say to an old lady :tongue_smilie:. The lack of grey hair is hereditary, my grandmother still had about 50% of her natural colour hair when she died aged 87.

First thing of a morning on a bad day, I look 87 ;).

Best wishes

Cassy

I think I have more gray than either my gma or my mom. When I go anywhere with my two sisters, I look like I am their mother. They are only 1 1/2 and 3 1/2 years younger than me. I got all the wacked genes in my family.

First, I want to say that I have had white hair to one extent or another since I was in high school. My original hair color was a very dark brown to almost black. But, in my senior picture, if you know where to look, you can see the beginnings of a white streak just above my bangs, near the top of my head. By the time I was married in my early 30s, my hair was salt and pepper. By the time I was pregnant with my first child 10 years later, my hair was mostly white.

With that said, my husband and I had just eaten at a neighborhood restaurant. It was snowy outside and cold, so I volunteered to take the check up to the cash register and pay for dinner while he went to the parking lot and brought the car around to the front door. There was a short line to pay, but I only had to wait a minute or two. When I stepped up to the cashier's counter, I was standing behind the cash register, so all she could see of me was from my midrift up. Before she totaled up the bill, she looked up at me and asked if I wanted my senior discount. I stepped out from behind the cash register, patted my VERY pregnant belly, and told her we could skip it this time. Boy, was she embarrassed!

We live in an area where a lot of people come to retire. (Most are pretty well off.) A parents of children under 18 discount would make a little more sense here.

I was 42 when first asked. :glare:

• 1 year later...

The spam bumped it. I reported. Although advice to memorize fertility scriptures seems amusing in a thread about aging.

LOL......but fertility works!! Carrying my just turned 3 yod on my hip keeps anyone from asking me about sr citizen discounts. (along w/my Preference by Laurel which keeps them from asking if she is my granddaughter!!! ;) )

52 and haven't even been asked, but I think I've gotten the best of both my grandmother's genes. My dad's mom had fairly oily and not wrinkly skin and my mom's mother had hair that doesn't go gray until really, really late (my mom is 82 and still salt and pepper).

• 8 years later...

The places near me require proof of age/eligibility before issuing senior discounts (I say eligibility as some outlets also give the same discount to people with certain disabilities, and locally, identical cards can be used to prove age or disability for that purpose. The same scheme also does discounts for youth, which means there's some degree of plausible deniability - and if it doesn't suit your purposes to get the discount, you simply don't wave the card at the servers). So I don't expect ever to get an unsolicited discount.