Menu

Googline One's Name

I really dislike how if I google my name, all these pictures of me come up - obviously under Google Images. All Facebook pictures - even though my Privacy Settings are for friends only. Why does Google do this? Is there anything one can do, other than foregoing FB altogether? Am I just being silly and paranoid?

One of my sisters has an unusual name. I tried googling her and it *does* come up with some facebook pictures, but only a few. It looks like her profile pic (which is probably set to public, I think that is a default setting) and a handful of other photos that were taken by friends and which she was tagged in. Probably, the friends have lower settings than she does. None of her actual photos show up.

No pictures of me come up, and I am on facebook. I have my privacy settings set pretty high, though. I'm not searchable on FB; I have to give permission for someone to tag me in a photo; and things of mine are only visible to friends (or to a more restricted group).

I would suggest going through all of your account and privacy settings on FB and see which ones are making you publicly searchable.

I searched by my maiden/married name and got nothing.

Funny though, my maiden name brought back a few hits of nude women :confused:, none of me though :lol:.

I thought I read one time that if you recently changed your profile to private, your photos would still come up on a google search, due to the data being cached in their database.

I found this how-to remove images from Google.

I checked my maiden name, my first married name and my current married name on Yahoo and Google and no pictures of me come up. Most of them are very old black and white/sepia pictures since Dorothy was a more popular name 60 years ago.

I am on Facebook with fairly strict privacy settings but I'm pretty sure I'm searchable.

I googled my name exactly as it appears on facebook and I didn't get any of my pictures, not even my profile pic or pics I have been tagged in. I am not sure what the difference is.

Same here.... I googled it a few different ways. Most are for me but ZERO pictures. Nothing embarrassing or overtly personal either.

I checked google and when I clicked "everything" (where you can choose images, maps, blogs, news, etc)

I wasn't anyone near the first few pages. But when I clicked on "images" and searched my name there was one photo my kids. :( Granted there were a ton of unrelated images. There are some hot people out there with my name. Sadly.... I am not one of them. :glare:

Also, Betty White images came up often... And no, that is not even close to my name so :confused:

My facebook account does not have my exact name. It did when I first signed up (a mistake I hope I have corrected) but now I have put extra vowels and consonants in the name. So it doesn't come up in Google searches.

If I'm logged into Google when I do the search I get images that I put on my blog. If I'm not logged into Google, I don't get anything related to me at all.

Are you logged into Google? They started recently combining everything, so if you are logged in when you search, you'll get very personalized results (more so than before)

If I'm logged into Google when I do the search I get images that I put on my blog. If I'm not logged into Google, I don't get anything related to me at all.

Are you logged into Google? They started recently combining everything, so if you are logged in when you search, you'll get very personalized results (more so than before)

It was the same for me. There were no pictures from my Facebook page just a handle from my blog that said they were personalized for me. I'm not sure if they would pop up for anyone else, and someone would have to know my name in the first place in order to search for me.;)

This is scary. i googled my name, not very common and there were all kinds of things that came up about me. no pictures thank goodness but where i live, where i've lived, my hobbies, the prices of my houses that i've lived in, my religious choices....yikes. i do not like this one single bit.

Thank you all for your replies. Some of your comments/finds were funny :lol:. Some are obviously of concern. :001_huh:

No pictures of me come up, and I am on facebook. I have my privacy settings set pretty high, though. I'm not searchable on FB; I have to give permission for someone to tag me in a photo; and things of mine are only visible to friends (or to a more restricted group).

I would suggest going through all of your account and privacy settings on FB and see which ones are making you publicly searchable.

With FB's new timeline setting, how can I check and/or change my privacy settings? I can't seem to find it. I used to be able to find it easily. :confused:

Interesting! My name isn't common, but my last name is also the name of a large city. When I google my name, I get lots of real estate listing and information on a woman who has my first name and lives in the large city. Apparently, she is a very popular doctor and does lots of civic work.

However, the first google listing is an ad from the US White Pages :confused: saying there is one listing for my name, and gives my home address. :001_huh:

I don't see any pics of me at all. But apparently someone with my name (different spelling) draws pictures of naked ladies--and not well at all. :lol:

:lol:

When I Google Image my Facebook name, hundreds of gorgeous pictures of a very beautiful woman come up. She looks like me in the sense that we have the same length/color hair and approx body size, so hopefully people googling me will think she's me :)

:lol:

Some of you ladies are really making me laugh. :D

I googled my first and last name and in 10 pages nothing was about me. I stopped looking then.

Then I googled my First Maiden Last and discovered that my MA thesis is listed in Google Books! I didn't know that! :001_smile:

Also discovered that comments I've made on FB on public pages are listed, like one time when I commented on SWB's post. Not so happy about that. But I think I can go back and delete them since they are all old.

If you google "Mergath," you get pages and pages of me. :tongue_smilie: I've always used the same username. As for my real name, my married name is fairly uncommon, and a few of the hits are actually me. My maiden name is super common and has a million results, though.

I googled my married name (which is pretty uncommon) on the images part and got pictures of bridesmaids dresses and one very disturbing picture of a photography shoot of someone shooting a gun in their mouth with blood splattering out of the back of their head. :001_huh: I didn't see any pictures of me. I did come up with my profile on a few forums and my blog on the regular search.

With my maiden name, still nothing.

On BOTH searches, I got pictures of Dusty Rhodes the wrestler and Dusty Springfield. lol

With FB's new timeline setting, how can I check and/or change my privacy settings? I can't seem to find it. I used to be able to find it easily. :confused:

I haven't been changed to timeline yet, so I don't know if that affects this. I click on the tiny little arrow to the right of "home" in the top right corner of a FB page. Then I click on Privacy Settings and then on "Apps, Games and Websites." At the bottom, you'll find "Public Search." Click on "Edit Settings," and you can enable or disable public search. I have it disabled, and I always have (which may affect whether there are cached images out there of me).

On the main page for privacy settings, I went through everything and changed them so that I have to approve all tags for photos or posts, and who can see my profile. Basically, I checked every link on that page and put the settings up really high. The end result of all of it is that if I'm not already friends with you on FB, you can't find me there when you search. I just don't come up. This means I have to initiate all friend requests, which is a bit of a pain, but it's worth it to me.

On the main page for privacy settings, I went through everything and changed them so that I have to approve all tags for photos or posts, and who can see my profile. Basically, I checked every link on that page and put the settings up really high. The end result of all of it is that if I'm not already friends with you on FB, you can't find me there when you search. I just don't come up. This means I have to initiate all friend requests, which is a bit of a pain, but it's worth it to me.

Thank you so much. I updated a few things. The tagging photos part is a bit unclear. I hope it works. :)

Ha ha. Once, years ago, I had the flu (the week-long fever and achy thing) and I was bored and I googled myself. FWIW, I've got one of those names that can be male or female (I was named after my dad, actually). I didn't find me (and I don't have photos on my seldom-used Facebook acct), but I did find that I share my name with:

1. A nice Christian minister's wife who leads ladies groups and wrote a book. Her photo looks very nice. The creepy thing is, her husband's name is my ds' name! Ha ha. I am NOT married to my son. I can't find her photo today.

2. A British supermodel who actually has done some very-little-clothing sorts of modelling. She's a lot younger and a lot more endowed than myself (and I think that endowment was surgical). Anyone who hunts me down thinking that I am her will be sorely disappointed.

Kelly_Bell.jpg

3. A blues musician who is a black male, opposite of me being a white female. I almost bought a tee shirt of his band (which is named after him ... er me) to wear as a night shirt. The one on the right, of course.

058.jpg

4. A real estate agent somewhere in Texas.

It's really a weird feeling to see your name attached to someone else.

Edited by Bassoonaroo