Menu

Comedies:

The Good Life, To the Manor Born, Yes (Prime) Minister, The Good Life, The Vicar of Dibley, Absolutely Faboulous, The Good life, Are you being served?, Keeping up appearances, oh, and did I mention The Good Life, Bread, Some mother's do have them, Fawlty Towers

Mystery/ Crime

Midsomer Murders (check out Orlando Bloom as the village lethario in judgement day), Hustle, A touch of Frost , Dalziel and Pascoe, Inspector Morse, Miss. Marple (the Joan Hickson ones), Prime Suspect

That should get you started.

Oh mini series

North and south

Cranford

Pride and Prejudice (Colin Firth)

Emma

The Cazalets

The Horseman riding by

Poldark

Comedies:

The Good Life, To the Manor Born, Yes (Prime) Minister, The Good Life, The Vicar of Dibley, Absolutely Faboulous, The Good life, Are you being served?, Keeping up appearances, oh, and did I mention The Good Life, Bread, Some mother's do have them, Fawlty Towers

Mystery/ Crime

Midsomer Murders (check out Orlando Bloom as the village lethario in judgement day), Hustle, A touch of Frost , Dalziel and Pascoe, Inspector Morse, Miss. Marple (the Joan Hickson ones), Prime Suspect

That should get you started.

Oh mini series

North and south

Cranford

Pride and Prejudice (Colin Firth)

Emma

The Cazalets

The Horseman riding by

Poldark

:iagree: For miniseries: check out the original "Life on Mars".

For science fiction, aside from Dr. Who, try the following: "Blake's 7" and "Red Dwarf".

these are older, but good comedies.

The Goode Neighbors

To the Manor Born

eta: if you liked hitchhikers guide to the galaxy - you'll love red dwarf. and black adder

I can't believe I forgot BlackAdder!! :lol:

Another drama mini-series: The Lakes.

Another funny one: Allo Allo (it is set in WWII and it is not pc as it makes fun of both bad guys and good guys, but it is funny).

I can't believe I forgot BlackAdder!! :lol:

Ah I didn't even see that she had put down BlackAdder! I can't believe I forgot that one too! That's a funny show! :) One that I've heard is funny, but I've never seen it myself is The Mighty Booshes sp? I had a friend in England that said it was the funniest show ever, but they don't show that one on PBS so I've never seen it.

My all time fav TV show is Yes, Minister and Yes, Prime Minister. Very clever.

Keeping Up Appearances is a hoot, and I remember really laughing through the early years of Brittas Empire. I haven't seen the last half. If you don't mind innuendo Are You BEing Served is classic. Black Adder is clever, and a parody of the British history taught in school. Red Dwarf was fun, but not rated G. Ditto Open All Hours. I thought Rumpole was well-written, and my son adores him

There are the classic Masterpiece Theater shows: Upstairs, Downstairs, e.g. I also liked MT's Cold Comfort Farm.

For British movies with a BBC feel, Gosford Park comes to mind.

Love many of the other suggestions. Gonna put my vote in for Monarch of the Glen, too. Plus, you get men in kilts! :lol:

:iagree:

I can not believe I forgot this one!

Oh, and the Dad in Monarch (Richard Briers) is Tom in The Good Life.

The Good Life is sometime called Good Neighbors in the USA. It is a couple who decide to go for self sufficiency in a very upscale London Suburb. The other main characters are their neighbors, who are materialistic and full climbing the social and professional ladder. It is very funny.

Of the neighbors; Jerry also plays the minister in yes minister, yes prime minister

Margo also is the lead in To the Manor Born.

Another good one, that IS family friendly is All creatures great and small. If you have kids that like Harry Potter, Cornelius Fudge from the movies is the old cranky vet. Peter Davison is his irresponsible younger brother (and also a Dr. Who)

Another comedy -Peep Show. NOT for children or those who don't like swearing. I love it - it makes me laugh out loud.

If there was one show I'd wager would have the most people from this board running from their TV (well, with the possible exception of League of Gentlemen), it would be this. I do love Peep Show, but it's *much* more than swearing. :tongue_smilie:

Series 8 should be out this fall, and I can hardly wait.

The Duchess of Duke Street (if you like Downton Abbey..this one follows a feisty woman rising in cook's service during the Edwardian period)

Jekyll (modern version, like Sherlock in many ways)

Wallace & Gromit (children's claymation)

Mr. Bean

A Bit of Fry and Laurie (sketch comedy..love this show)

Kingdom (Stephen Fry again, a lawyer in a small town)

Spaced (slacker roommates with the Shaun of the Dead guy)

And while I'm not a fan of Peep Show, I had an on and off enjoyment of That Mitchell and Webb Look (another sketch show). It was a lot like Kids in the Hall (Canadian sketch comedy). Which reminds me of Corner Gas (Canadian, so not quite what you asked, but a great show and family friendly).

If there was one show I'd wager would have the most people from this board running from their TV (well, with the possible exception of League of Gentlemen), it would be this. I do love Peep Show, but it's *much* more than swearing. :tongue_smilie:

Series 8 should be out this fall, and I can hardly wait.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

Also by the same guys 'That Mitchell and Webb look' sketch comedy. Again, adult - probably offensive at some points. ;)

Black books and IT Crowd are about my favourites ever!

For serious drama I love the 'Skins' series. Especially the earlier series', very, very well done IMO. Can be brutal though...

Shows I didn't see mentioned which I've watched and enjoyed are The Catherine Tate Show (sketch comedy), Survivors (dystopian scifi), Primeval (goofy action scifi), Misfits (completely absurd and dumb scifi - but I really do like it), and Skins (dark but often brilliant look at being a teenager).

So much of this depends on your taste. I mean, I love Spaced and Blackadder. I loathe the Brittas Empire and Keeping Up Appearance. British comedies are as varied as American, I think.

I think someone enjoying Downton might also enjoy Upstairs, Downstairs (the original or the remake), as well as some of the other period pieces, like Foyle's War, or some of the soaps like Monarch of the Glen.

If you like Dr. Who and Sherlock, you should definitely, definitely watch Jekyll, as Steven Moffat did all three shows. He also created the sitcom Coupling, though it's very different. And Russell Davies (the previous Who showrunner) also did a sweet little series called Bob and Rose, though it's also very, very different. And if you haven't tried Torchwood, that's another one to try.

If you like Merlin, Robin Hood is the other family friendly show that used to round out that Saturday time slot for the BBC.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

Also by the same guys 'That Mitchell and Webb look' sketch comedy. Again, adult - probably offensive at some points. ;)

Those who don't mind a bit of, ahem, language, will probably appreciate this P&P inspired bit from series 3:

Here is my bit of television trivia for the day. Writer/actor Julian Fellowes, the creator of Downton Abbey, also plays Kilwillie on Monarch of the Glen.

Fellowes wrote the script for the Robert Altman film Gosford Park. Today at the library I discovered a BBC series called Julian Fellowes Investigates A Most Mysterious Murder. The show dramatized unsolved murder cases. Has anyone seen it?

I figured that since Downton Abbey is just so good, I should look at some of Fellowes' other work.

I haven't seen Mulberry mentioned. It was meant to be 3 series, but the two that were made are delightful. There's a bit of a catch 22, as DVD and Amazon descriptions ruin the "big" reveal that comes a few episodes into the first series, so I'd recommend starting it blind. I recall nothing that could be considered remotely inappropriate.