Menu

In what order do you expect the courses of your meal to be served?  

1. 1. In what order do you expect the courses of your meal to be served?

• Appetizer, salad, main course, dessert: and I'm happy about that.
    • Appetizer, salad, main course, dessert: I'm unhappy about that and it shouldn't be that way.
    • Salad, appetizer, main course, dessert.
    • Dessert first.
    • Dessert only! :P

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I like appetizers first.

Then soup if it's a course.

Then salad, main course together.

Then dessert.

Then Cointreau. And assorted other such beverages.

Carol, you know, I love you, BUT...

YOU'RE WRONG!! Imo, it's definitely supposed to be "Dessert only", or "Dessert first" if you must. :lol: I have no idea why anyone would answer to the contrary! :D

From the perspective of good digestion, I think fruits and then veggies and then other stuff. (Though it might depend on the veggie - but I think lettuce would be earlier rather than later.)

From the perspective of real life, I would rather skip the appetizer and go right to the salad, thank you. I'll also skip the dessert most of the time.

Though, the dessert only option sounds pretty good for some days.

I vote for appetizers first but there's a place we eat sometimes when the desserts get brought out first and when that happens I'll usually eat it first. The place that happens is a very casual place and not what I'd call normal.

I vote for appetizers first but there's a place we eat sometimes when the desserts get brought out first and when that happens I'll usually eat it first. The place that happens is a very casual place and not what I'd call normal.

Is it your house?:lol::lol:

(I've been known to do this:tongue_smilie:)

Is it your house?:lol::lol:

(I've been known to do this:tongue_smilie:)

It's a lodge so you tell them what dessert you want first so it's not gone when you finish your meal. Some of the ladies there make fantastic cakes. One of my friends will ask for a piece of Mary's pie before they even ask for a drink.

Usually most of the time you wouldn't be ordering dessert for someone to know if you wanted dessert or what you wanted. So in my eyes, that doesn't make sense a dessert would come out first unless you knew for certain if and what you wanted for dessert.

The waiters are psychic where I go for dinner.

Appetizer, salad, main, dessert is the most common in the US.

Other countries would save the salad for after the main and add cheese after dessert.

I sort of like the salad after the main as I find myself happier with the main being a smaller portion knowing salad is coming.

Some folks add a soup course too or substitute it for appetizer or salad.

Really it all depends on the local tradition and the formality of the meal.

Usually most of the time you wouldn't be ordering dessert for someone to know if you wanted dessert or what you wanted. So in my eyes, that doesn't make sense a dessert would come out first unless you knew for certain if and what you wanted for dessert.

The "Dessert First" option was included jokingly.

If you see my signature line, I make desserts professionally. :001_smile:

I actually like my salad first, if possible. Then appetizer b/c I can go back and forth between the two.

While it is still possible to have appetizer first, then salad and still go back and forth between the 2, I like eating the salad first becasue it (usually) has less calories.

Because it takes LESS TIME. One of the votes is MINE. There is SOMEONE ELSE that agrees with me, because there is 2 up there. HA HA!!

You do realize, right, that at many restaurants now the computer times when parts of your orders are put into the kitchen? So if you order your appetizer, salad, and entree, the kitchen gets those three at different times. It's not like they start them all at the same time. They don't even know about them all at once.

I expect in a regular American restaurant for it to go:

App

Salad

(just before or with)

Entree

Dessert and coffee

Liquor throughout. :lol:

I like something more like this:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5832558/rovers-dinner.pdf

MENU DEGUSTATION with WINE PAIRING

7-8 courses, like this:

Amuse Bouche

Seafood Mousseline, Dungeness Crab, Braised Fennel, Lemon Grass Sauce

Oregon Quail, Flageolet Bean, Apple Puree, Dijon Mustard Sauce

Ling Cod, Potato Custard, Braised Olive-Mushroom Ragu

Bartlet Pear Granite

Guinea Fowl, Brussels Sprout, Lentils Du Puy, Red Wine Demi

Symphony of Desserts

Mignardises

:drool5:

OR:

A pile of Tacos from a truck in the middle of the night. Pretty much equally :drool5:

I get:

Home: All the food on the table at the same time, nibbling as I cook.

Restaurant: Mostly inexpensive ethnic foods- Ethiopian, Thai etc all served at once. Occasionally Salad and then Entree (skip the apps and dessert). Sometimes I get the tacos and the big fancy meal but the tacos are greasy and the big fancy meal is an anniversary type thing.

Edited by kijipt

HOW is that possible if the server puts it in at the same time? Usually servers press a B4 button they said to HOLD the entree so it's *THEM* that holds the orders, NOT the computer since they put it into the computer as such.

What if the server puts in a side salad and sends it? They can do it separately, DUHHH!!

Also, some restaurants such as Red Lobster, the SERVERS make the side salads the manager told me so.

So you are saying it's impossible for the server to have any influence on the kitchen staff of when they need something? That's BS!!

Are you the Phantom Pooper?

So what it (((PROVES))) that NO SERVERS SHOULD "ASSUME" WHAT THE CUSTOMER WANTS THAT NOT **EVERYONE**** WANTS IT THE WAY MOST DO!!

What it says is that the VERY FEW of you who want it differently should SAY SO and get over it. Really. If by some stray chance you are not a troll, you really are making yourself an unwelcome addition to the board. :chillpill::chillpill:

So you are saying it's impossible for the server to have any influence on the kitchen staff of when they need something? That's BS!!

Actually, no, I didn't say that. But you keep screaming about "TIME". I'm just saying that if it all is put in at once at many places, it doesn't all get started at the same time, making the time it takes to make a salad meaningless.

HOW is that possible if the server puts it in at the same time? Usually servers press a B4 button they said to HOLD the entree so it's *THEM* that holds the orders, NOT the computer since they put it into the computer as such.

What if the server puts in a side salad and sends it? They can do it separately, DUHHH!!

Also, some restaurants such as Red Lobster, the SERVERS make the side salads the manager told me so.

Who are you??? :001_huh: Weird.

Is anyone else thanking their lucky starts right now that they aren't a server? I am. Why? Because I'm not psychic and wouldn't be able to predict every single little tiny preference that goes way against the norm and tradition that each and every customer might want. I wouldn't know to ask about rare preferences.

Is anyone else thanking their lucky starts right now that they aren't a server? I am. Why? Because I'm not psychic and wouldn't be able to predict every single little tiny preference that goes way against the norm and tradition that each and every customer might want. I wouldn't know to ask about rare preferences.

:iagree:

Is anyone else thanking their lucky starts right now that they aren't a server? I am. Why? Because I'm not psychic and wouldn't be able to predict every single little tiny preference that go way against the norm and tradition that each and every customer might want. I wouldn't know to ask about rare preferences.

:iagree: I am quite sure anyone who freaks the heck out over this is getting AT LEAST some spit in their entree. :glare: I hope picky people tip more but my server friends indicate that it is the reverse. The go with the flow types leave 15-25% and the nutcases might, might MIGHT leave 5-10%.

It's COMMON SENSE you should. Are you born under a rock? It's common sense that you should ask when someone wants something since the time *CHANGES* when you put an appetizer into the mix as to when the side salad arrives at the customer's table, THAT IS WHY!! This should be COMMON SENSE. Also, most people hate waiting and complain about HOW LONG they waited for their food, drinks, etc. COMMON SENSE!!

You aren't a psychic, that's why you *ASK* DUHHH!!

Please, for the Love of God, don't ever get into a thread on Circ, Duggars, vaccinations, or curricula.

If you get this wound up over how food is to be served, you'll have a complete CVA over those threads. :001_huh:

The entire point is that the *SERVER* should be ASKING, NOT the customer, THE SERVER!! The customer shouldn't have to ask for something that should be common sense that SIDE SALADS TAKE *LESS TIME* to prepare than an appetizer does.

Also, DUHHH, people are HUNGRY AND DO NOT LIKE WAITING!!

No, the server should not have to ask a question that affects such a small percentage of the population.

Trolls1.jpg

I should follow my own advice, but I am getting some sick enjoyment out of this.

but I am getting some sick enjoyment out of this.

:rolleyes:

Me too.

But I need to get my butt to Costco and then home to roast the chicken I prepped this morning. Would it be UNCARING for me to serve the candied pecan and goat cheese spinach salad with the chicken and veggies? :001_smile: