Menu

Putting Christmas stuff away turned into a trip to the ER.

So, today we decided that we probably should start working on putting some of the Christmas stuff away. I started working on the tree. I filled the first two ornament boxes, and as I started on the 3rd one, I noticed that the flat piece of cardboard that separates the layers was missing. So, I grabbed an empty box and traced out the size I needed and headed to the garage to get the box cutter.

No, I didn't cut myself with the box cutters. I knocked the TRAILER HITCH off the tool box. Onto my Big Toe. Do I say ow or ouch? Heck No. After screaming a few Dawwit and Sheets. I screamed for my husband. Who was, of course in the back corner of the yard.

I sent the kids running for him. My toenail was floating in the blood. We went to the ER. 3 hours later I"m home. Extremely bandaged. The ER doctor gave me a few pain shots while I was registering. I LOVE that man! Then the Physician's Assistant gave me one more shot, removed the nail and sent me home with lots of drugs:) Percocet, Flexeril, and keflex.

My only question. One of the pain shots was BETWEEN the toes. How in the world do JUNKIES do THAT? Seriously, that one and the one on the bottom of my big toe, right where it joins with the foot, were the two that had me YELLING. UGH

Oh, and I shattered (as in SPLAT, according to the PA) the very tip of the toe bone. Overall, not bad; it could have been MUCH worse.

One last thing; DH told me, while waiting for the pain med to start working, that the missing cardboard was in the other Christmas box. Lucky for him I was bleeding alot and still feeling pain. :glare:

I am cringing just thinking about it. I'm so glad you're feeling good right now!

Funny you should say that. Two things that make me cringe are eyeballs and toe/fingernails. I guess I'll take the toenail ;)

On a funny note, this morning I dropped my super long, serrated bread knife on the floor, right next to my bare feet. I guess it was meant to happen!

Wow. I am so glad that you are ok. And I'm amazed how soon you could write such a coherent and entertaining story! Keep up on the pain meds. You do not want levels to dip too low and to have to try and get them up again.

Just started the oral pain meds. While there, I was given 4 or 5 shots in my toe. Something strong that begins with an M. It was WONDERFUL. But yeah, it's starting to wear off, and the percocet should be kicking in soon. I hope.

Owie! I hope you heal quickly!

Just a word of warning with growing back big toe nails. Get yourself some anti-fungal stuff and start treating it when you first see the nail growing back. And treat it 3-4 times a day.

It took me 3 years to finally grow back a healthy, fungus-free nail after losing mine to the terrible sippy cup drop of 2007. It grew back 3 times and had to be cut most of the way back to treat the fungus. And I have a severe aversion to all things nail related (like ripped nails, etc.) I had to have my mommy help me. How embarassing!

Oh my. How awful! Your description made me feel passy-outy. :svengo: I can't imagine how rough of a day you've had.

I hope your family takes good care of you and you heal quickly.

I hear you. Toenails make me a little queasy too.

I am going to a podiatrist to 'watch the nail'. So I'm hoping that it grows in ok. I'm not up for removing it over and over again. Today it ok because of the adrenaline/trauma response. But to just sit there and get it pulled out....shiver

sounds like they gave you a digit block ( needles around toe).

My ds14 had that done when he smashed his finger. The Dr. asked him if he would like someone to hold his hand steady, he replied he was fine. He didn't even flinch ( 3 needles very deep all around finger) Dr. was very impressed, she said every time she has ever given a digit block the person has been screaming their head off. Ds14 told me after we left that that was one of the most painful things he as had done to him.

sounds like they gave you a digit block ( needles around toe).

My ds14 had that done when he smashed his finger. The Dr. asked him if he would like someone to hold his hand steady, he replied he was fine. He didn't even flinch ( 3 needles very deep all around finger) Dr. was very impressed, she said every time she has ever given a digit block the person has been screaming their head off. Ds14 told me after we left that that was one of the most painful things he as had done to him.

I had to have that last month when I cut my finger very badly whole on a field trip. The numbing shots all around the base of my finger (digit blocks you say?) was the worst part of the whole ordeal. I didn't flinch or scream but tears were streaming! Yowza!!!

You WILL be able to walk in time for the convention in April... right?? I am flying all the way out there to see you again.

That reminds me - are we having a WTM get-together night again? I really enjoyed meeting people from the board in person.

Hope your aren't in too much pain tonight. The covers always bug me when I have a foot or toe owie.

One last thing; DH told me, while waiting for the pain med to start working, that the missing cardboard was in the other Christmas box. Lucky for him I was bleeding alot and still feeling pain. :glare:

Sounds to me like dh gets to put up the decorations next year. :D

Glad you got some good drugs, and I hope it heals quickly!