Menu

Is there a good cream/lotion out there for "dishpan hands"?

We don't have a dishwasher, and washing dishes makes the skin on my hands all dry and crackly and rough. I tried some Bigelow chapped hands cream, and that's worked okay but I'm wondering if there are other (better) options.

Wearing rubber gloves while washing dishes is not an option- the powdery-feeling insides drive my sensory-sensitive self BATTY. :lol:

I recommend doing as much washing as possible with a brush, so your hands are not in the water. And my favorite all time brush for dish washing is the Avent Bottle Brush:

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2736616

This is the brush I use for all dishes except those that need harder scrubbing. I soak all the dishes in hot soapy water before using the brush, then after a few minutes I lift them out one by one and use the Avent brush on them. I have a regular dish brush for when it's needed but the angle and shape of the Avent brush makes washing dishes really easy and my hands are not in the water.

I looked up lotion on beautypedia a few weeks ago and saw that Oil of Olay Quench got an excellent Review. The I have been using it since and LOVE it! My hands feel great. My ashy winter legs are gone. And my dry, cracking heels are smooth. Dh even commented how smooth my body felt during tea one day..

Coconut oil did not do this for me.

I agree with the recommendation of Olay Quench. I have used it for years and it's the only body lotion that really works for me; very hydrating and isn't overly perfumy. However, for my very dry hands I use Neutrogena hand cream. It is very hydrating, and it doesn't take much, it is the thickest lotion I have ever seen. I can't remember exactly the name...but it comes in smallish tubes and says something like "used by Norwegian fishermen" on it. Love it.

Our dermatologist recommends CeraVe, Eucerin Plus Intensive Repair cream, and Neutrogena Norwegian Formula hand cream...applied within one minute after drying the hands.

We found out very quickly that antibacterial hand soaps are very harsh so I also avoid buying the dish detergents that say antibacterial on the label.

My new magic formula (I have painfully dry, hypothryoid skin) is Castor Oil (used externally, like lotion)- I've been getting it at the health food store). I got it for the blood clot I got from falling this summer (external) and it actually healed my heels (I've tried everything). I LOVE it. And it's really uber healthy for you!

I haven't seen it mentioned yet, but the absolute best thing I've used, hands down, is petroleum jelly (Vasoline or similar). I apply a small amount after *every* handwashing and rub it in vigorously. Huge difference. Huge!

Before that I used Palmer's Cocoa Butter and some shea butter handsoap bars. I liked Nivea, too. Frequent use of petroleum jelly beat them all.

break out your crockpot, and throw a hunk of shea butter, olive oil, coconut oil in there, then put in a handful of comfrey, calendula, a knob of lanolin and I used cinnamon, anise and allspice, too. Let it steep on low all day, then, strain out the herbs, and add in beeswax. (I play with the amount of beeswax, but I think a good amount is one ounce to every 8 ounces of oil). At the last I add in a few dashes of tea tree oil, and this time I used Warm Vanilla Sugar fragrance oil, but it's still great without.

It sinks right into your hands, and the lanolin draws in moisture, and keeps it there. They'll heal up right away.

Mine used to get cracked and bleed, but not since I've been making this. And, you should be able to get everything at your healthfood store.

I haven't seen it mentioned yet, but the absolute best thing I've used, hands down, is petroleum jelly (Vasoline or similar). I apply a small amount after *every* handwashing and rub it in vigorously. Huge difference. Huge!

Before that I used Palmer's Cocoa Butter and some shea butter handsoap bars. I liked Nivea, too. Frequent use of petroleum jelly beat them all.

I use petroleum jelly daily to prevent chapped lips... it's the absolute best. I never thought about using it on hands--I may try it!!

Next up in my mind would be the 2 products we like best:

Johnston Honey's Helping Hand Cream (pricey, but works wonders quickly):

http://www.johnstonhoney.com/giftshop/bodycare_helpinghandcream.asp

and Cetaphil, to maintain once the dryness problem is under control.

I've been using Seacret brand, which I really like, but I ran out of it. It has a nice fragrance, softens well, and doesn't leave a greasy residue behind. However, I have little doubt that it is overpriced for what I get. I've tried others but really dislike the scent or feel of it.

Based on the recommendations, I think that I will try to Neutrogena Norwegian Formula. Hopefully it will do the trick. I just purchased some hand lotion this week which ended up being disappointing.

Eta: you can just flip dish washing gloves inside out and wash the powder out of them, too. Or just use them inside out.

Can you wear cotton gloves inside large sized rubber gloves? Prevention is better than cure, so they say!

Rosie

OOOOH! These are BRILLIANT ideas!!! This is why I love the Hive!

Change dish soap.

Several of you said this, and it's got me thinking. How would I know if I'm using a harsh soap? I use the Kirkland (Costco brand) environmentally friendly dish soap- they don't list the ingredients :glare:, but it's plant-based, no phosphates or dyes. I ASSumed this was better than Dawn etc in terms of harshness...?

My new magic formula (I have painfully dry, hypothryoid skin) is Castor Oil (used externally, like lotion)- I've been getting it at the health food store). I got it for the blood clot I got from falling this summer (external) and it actually healed my heels (I've tried everything). I LOVE it. And it's really uber healthy for you!

Castor oil?!?!? As in, labor-inducing castor oil?!?!?!? That is awesome and hilarious. I just may have to try this for the shock value! :rofl:

We don't have a dishwasher, and washing dishes makes the skin on my hands all dry and crackly and rough. I tried some Bigelow chapped hands cream, and that's worked okay but I'm wondering if there are other (better) options.

Wearing rubber gloves while washing dishes is not an option- the powdery-feeling insides drive my sensory-sensitive self BATTY. :lol:

Thank YOU for posting this! We don't have a dishwasher either, and I hate rubber gloves. I was thinking of posting this myself because my hands are near to bleeding they are so cracked!

Using a gentler dish soap helps, too. I do a huge sinkful of dishes every night by hand. Since I started to use the Seventh Generation stuff, I haven't had dry hands at all. And it gets my dishes clean.

This is all I use to wash dishes.

My dry skin just started a few years ago. I think for me it is part of the aging process and I just need to be more conscientious about moisturizing my skin.

Use a gentle soap.

Always moisturize immediately after doing any activity that wets the hands. I keep lotion at the kitchen sink, as well as the bathroom sink.

Use an overnight treatment to help heal the skin. I really like Mary Kay's Extra Emollient Night Cream. It is not one of those types that absorbs easily, but rather is thick and beeswaxy/vaseline-y. I use it on hands and feet overnight or when they need an extra boost, and it does wonders. You can cover it with cotton socks or gloves, but I don't feel the need to.