Menu

If you are a church attender

Our church is having services at 6 pm and 11 pm on Christmas Eve and one identical service on Christmas morning. Our church usually has two morning services. They said we're welcome to come to all three, but they were thinking that most people would choose one of the three identical services as their Christmas service.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One Christmas day service (3 eve services). Very low key (read low volunteer). No band, no tech, no coffee and treats, no kids ministry. Just our church family, our worship leader and our pastor (my dh). Kids are welcome to come in pajamas.

As a ministry family (and kids' ministry leader), I was worried that Christmas day service was going to ruin Christmas (sounds awful, but Sundays for our family are not restful family days). I can understand why some pastors chose not to hold service. I think we found a fantastic way to hold service and keep it centered on what's important, letting everything that we usually do on Sunday mornings go. I'm looking forward to it.

Normally our church doesn't have Christmas Day services (they do on Christmas Eve, at 4 and 11pm), but this year they'll have a shortened service at the regular time, but are encouraging people to come in pajamas. :tongue_smilie:

We'll go Christmas Eve, but not Christmas Day.

Now that would be interesting! We have a pajama night in our AWANA club, but I cannot imagine our pastor leading service in his pajamas :lol:.

Yes, mine is. I am personally very pleased with that decision. After all, as a Christian I believe that Jesus is the reason for the season. I can't imagine a more appropriate place to be on that day. I'm very glad my church is having services.

Edited by mommyrooch

Is your church having Christmas day services since Christmas is on a Sunday this year?

Ours is not. They will have Saturday evening services instead.

I don't think I like it.

You???

Dawn

Yes. Two Christmas eve services. 1 combined Christmas day service, but no Sunday school. Childcare for children 3 and under.

We're actually going to my sister's church Christmas day though. No Christmas eve service there. One service Christmas morning (no sunday school)

Three Christmas Eve services, with the last at 9pm (usually 4, with the last at 11pm).

One Sunday/Christmas Day service (usually 3). Pajamas welcome. Also, any out-of-town visitors to your house are welcome, of course. Best place for a party on Christmas Day, right?

Our church is having a service for the whole family on Christmas Day, thankfully. There was talk of no service and I was disappointed. After all, this is one of the most holy of Christian celebrations.

Dh and I have a tradition of going to Christmas Eve candle light service, but we're having a hard time anymore finding one. Our current church doesn't do it, and there are very few to be found around town. It seems that the Christian community is making Christmas more secular all the time. Don't get me wrong, I don't think that there is anything wrong with having a strong focus on family during this time, but the church events help us focus on the reason we celebrate. To me, it is much more meaningful to have services at church at this time of year.

Blessings,

Lucinda

At the United Methodist Church we attend: 2 Christmas Eve services (6:30 Family service with a children's pageant, and 11pm traditional candlelight service).

On Christmas Day they are having 1 combined service at 10:30am. There normally are 2, a traditional and a contemporary, but due to our location (right next to a college campus), numbers are expected to be quite low over the holidays.

I'm participating in both of the Christmas Eve services, but will not be attending the Christmas Day service.

We will have services on both Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, but on Christmas Day, we will meet briefly at the church for a message, then travel together to visit a group who rarely get visitors on Christmas and bring music and prayer and ourselves to them.

We did coordinate our visit with the VA hospital outreach coordinator first, to verify that indeed, many veterans at the facility where we are heading receive no visitors on Christmas and that our visit would be both timed well and welcome, rather than disruptive (so they can have those wishing to be part of the gathering present or indicate that they want a visit).

Even DS10 and DS8 think it's not fair to be injured serving your country but forgotten on Christmas, and want to set aside their toys for a couple of hours to make the trip.

Our Wendsday evening service is cancelled, but there will be both a Christmas Eve and a Christmas day service. It will be shorter than normal though (no second hour classes).

Why would a church cancel? Don't most churches have a special Christmas service anyway?

Not in my experience with a couple denominations and a non-denominational church. Though after reflecting on that a bit it does seem odd NOT to.:) Even more odd that services would be canceled because of Christmas.

I've decided against a spin-off of pajamas welcome.:tongue_smilie::confused::001_huh:

Our Christmas schedule is always the same whether it is on Sunday or not - 4:30 and midnight Mass Christmas Eve and 10 AM on Christmas morning. We go to Mass on Christmas morning after we open gifts and before going to my MIL's house.

This year, since it is on Sunday, we are only having one Mass rather than the normal two, since we are having vigil Mass at midnight. As my younger daughter gets better at staying up late, we will switch to midnight Mass.

Our church(small community of olders, non-denom), is having Christmas morning church same time, same station. And NO Christmas Eve service:(. We will be attending another churches candlelight Christmas Eve service and be breakfasting with family and opening presents Christmas morning. I doubt there will be many in attnedance on Christmas morning.. Sunday or not.

However, I must add that if we did not have little kids.. we would most likely go.. LOL

Our church is not having Christmas Eve service this year. We are having one service Christmas morning at our normal 10:30a.m. time. No Sunday school and everyone will be together.

Forgot about that part, ours is doing the same thing. There won't be any childcare during the Christmas service. The message will be a bit shorter, there will be more music and such and a room will be provided for parents to take wiggly children for a break if needed. The idea is to make sure kids experience it with their families.

I really, really wish we were actually going to be in town this weekend...