Menu

Already being discussed? What your 13- and 14-year-old sons getting for Christmas?

I'm pretty stumped for my son this year. Usually, he's the easy one, but inspiration has not yet struck.

So, what are your 13- and 14-year-olds asking for this year? And what are they getting?

Mine isn't into sports or much video gaming. We already have a Wii that gets plugged in and used maybe once a month. He loves to read, but he's caught up on all of his favorite series and authors, and I haven't had a lot of luck picking books for him.

He loves tap dancing, singing, musical theatre, making costumes, making bows and arrows in the backyard (of which I disapprove) and hanging out with his friends. He already has his own sewing machine and access to any craft materials and fabric a boy could want. We already have season tickets for the Shakespeare theatre and the Broadway touring series.

He already has a cell phone (although a newer, fancier one is on my short list of not-great-but-the-best-I've-got ideas) and an iPod Touch.

He loves clothes but really likes to pick out his own. And my husband is not a fan of giving or receiving gift cards. This, too, is on the aforementioned list.

He likes watching action-adventure movies Dad, but I'm not aware of anything new and cool on DVD this year.

So, what's happening for your young teen guys?

I am having a hard time coming up with something this year, too. Add that he just had his b-day last month and I am at a loss all the more.

So far I have bought him a dart board and a nerf gun w/ a refill pack. I will probably get him a gift card so he can buy books on his kindle. This looked kind of fun and he's always liked mazes so I may get one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Perplexus-Maze-Game-PlaSmart-Inc/dp/B002NPBT50/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1321030741&sr=8-1

I have been buying him Peanuts Boxed sets for the last several years, so he will get the next set.

Really lost this year...

My ds wants a second monitor for his computer. He has two already, but they don't match, that drives him crazy. So when he gets the new one, I get the old one, win-win situation.

We'll probably get him some things from Thinkgeek.

Oh, and food. He has his own mini-fridge, so we'll add some snacks.

Honestly, he hasn't asked for much, but the food brought a smile to his face.

I've also thought of buying him a real sword, one that would be hung in the classroom. Kind of like a right of passage, but we'll probably do that at the end of the school year not at Christmas.

a video camera? I have seen some small ones. I realize musical theater isn't film-making, but if he does those activities with others, he might enjoy filming his friends. Or they could film him. Then they could watch their performances back???

Yeah my more artsy son got a Flip camera and loves it

I 2nd the Kindle, or even an iPad (because of the educational Apps that are offered). While "I" get being a "real book person" completely, my 13DS is growing up in a digital world, and while I certainly will continue to put real books into his hands, he also enjoys reading just as much from his iPad, and it is the way the world is headed. By the time they get to college, they'll be lucky to have to own even one real paper-based textbook.

Honestly after purchasing and downloading his first book to his iPad (only because we needed it for co-op the next week and I had forgotten to order in advance from Amazon), it was actually pretty cool to read on the iPad. I'll definately be doing more digital books for him in the future.

But anyhoo, here, not sure what DS13 is getting. He has an iPad 2. He could use a better phone, technically but in reality, he never calls anyone. He could use a new laptop, but that's not in the budget now, so it'll have to wait until his birthday next July.

On the short list: A few PS3 video games, an iTUnes gift card, a new dresser.

He's asking for a TV for his room, he's asked for that for every year since he was old enough to ask....always nope.

I 2nd the Kindle, or even an iPad (because of the educational Apps that are offered). While "I" get being a "real book person" completely, my 13DS is growing up in a digital world, and while I certainly will continue to put real books into his hands, he also enjoys reading just as much from his iPad, and it is the way the world is headed. By the time they get to college, they'll be lucky to have to own even one real paper-based textbook.

Honestly after purchasing and downloading his first book to his iPad (only because we needed it for co-op the next week and I had forgotten to order in advance from Amazon), it was actually pretty cool to read on the iPad. I'll definately be doing more digital books for him in the future.

Thanks, but honestly, we've talked about it, and he doesn't want one. It's not just that we like to read books, but that they are the primary "decoration" in our house. When we moved into this one over the summer, the most imporant thing both kids wanted for their new rooms was new, bigger bookshelves. They like to arrange their books by author and theme. Real, physical books are just a huge part of our lives.

It's cool that the digital thing works for you guys. It's just not us.

We actually have a iPad that has barely been used. My husband bought it because it was new and cool, but he's come close to just selling it a couple of times, becase no one here really has any interest.

He's asking for a TV for his room, he's asked for that for every year since he was old enough to ask....always nope.

Yeah, we wouldn't allow that, either.

We don't do wish lists. And my son hasn't expressed much of an interest in anything specific. He has my husband's love of recieving gifts, though. So, I'm going to have to get creative.

He also wants a kayak. Brand ideas?

A video camera was an AWESOME investment. My boys have them on their iPods. They are constantly making videos and editing them on the computer.

I don't even know where to start looking at kayaks. :D I am going to have to ask around. Kayaking is very popular in this area(we moved here over the summer), but I have never tried it myself. Ds kayaks at summer camp.

A video camera is a good idea. Ds steals my camera frequently and uses it to make videos.

My son is 15 but quite immature, so I hope he counts :) We are getting him several CDs. He loves to listen to music while doing his PE or just lay in bed with music on, thinking.

I hate picking books for him but I thought I might take him to the bookstore to get him one book and see what else he seemed interested in, sometimes he has to narrow it down and then I have a few ideas.

I was thinking about getting him posters or something to put up in his room but I haven't come up with anything good!

Teenage boys frustrate me when it comes to present giving! :)

Ds#2 turns 14yo in January. So far I have gotten him a day pass to the indoor ski area (Snow Planet) & a weeklong scout canoe camp. I'll probably pick up a new pair of PJs & a new book as I always get that for each dc. For his b-day in January I'm looking at getting him a new field hockey stick & a new pair of sailing gloves.

We have always aimed to give experiences rather than things. Ds#2 was complaining to me (tongue in cheek) that we've ruined him for life because we don't allow video or computer games in the house. When he's at a friend's house & they want to play video games, ds#2 says he gets bored after about 15 minutes & wants to go DO something. :lol: Poor kid :tongue_smilie:

My ds turns 13 next week.

He wants a mountain bike and a kayak. He's begging for a display sword and/or a wooden practice sword. I haven't decided yet how I feel about that.

egads! both my boys came home drooling over these huge swords that go on the wall..? what is that??

lol

but my 13 & 15 year old are getting

models (airplane and a car) and things that go with it

fuzzy hats the ones with the ear covers and strings that hang down?

hunting arrows (for their bow)

and looking for a neat box thingee (like a grown up treasure chest for them)...but have a few ideas still on that one

undies/socks/slippers and pj's

and a 12 pack of favorite soda

Great kayaks: Old Town or Mad River.

Old Town Factory Outlet has a seconds shop in Old Town, Maine if you happen to be in the region (just scratches on them--often hundreds of dollars off). (I do not know if it is possible to mail order from the Factory Outlet, you'd have to call them. Don't know what the shipping would be.)

He loves tap dancing, singing, musical theatre, making costumes, making bows and arrows in the backyard (of which I disapprove) and hanging out with his friends. He already has his own sewing machine and access to any craft materials and fabric a boy could want. We already have season tickets for the Shakespeare theatre and the Broadway touring series.

A collection of videos or cds of classic Broadway musicals, plus Fred Astaire/Ginger Rogers movies. Maybe throw in light opera or operetta -- like Offenbach, Johann Strauss jr, Lehar, Gilbert & Sullivan. That could build on what he already likes and extend it. Opera costumes & sets can be so elaborate -- your ds might love these.

Biographies of musical comedy actors, musical comedy encyclopedia, if such a thing exists.

My 13 year old son is getting the Art of War by Sun Tzu which is a book on military strategy but is very helpful in other parts of life and business.

Click here: Amazon.com: The Art of War (History and Warfare) (9780813319513): Sun Tzu, Ralph D. Sawyer: Books I picked this exact book up at the GoodWill for 47 cents a few months back to give him for Christmas.

He is also getting the game Go which is an ancient game of strategy and a book on it for beginners.Click here: Amazon.com: Go Game with Wood Board: Toys & Games I picked this game up at the GoodWill for $ 1.97 a few months back for an extra Christmas gift.

Besides those items he is getting some new Dungeons and Dragons dice and a large vinyl playmat for the game. He is also getting a few Dungeon and Dragon minitures to add to gaming fun.

Last but not least he is getting an older large style Playmobil Fort that I found on ebay at a great price. This includes Union Soldiers, Confederate Soldiers, Indians, Cowboys and Red Coats and accesories to add to our American History theme this year.

On the kayak question: Hands down if it is for fishing, lakes, rivers: Go with Ascend from Bass Pro. Warranty and quality can't be beat for those prices. If it is for white water think Ocean Kayaks. The biggest thing you need to know before you buy is if your ds wants to sit "on" the kayak or sit "in" the kayak.

Backyard Ballistics book

http://www.amazon.com/Backyard-Ballistics-Cannons-Cincinnati-Dynamite/dp/1556523750/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1321111870&sr=8-1

I ordered early, so Dh can go through the book & gather supplies for one or two of the projects & hide the supplies in the garage. Then we mark the pages dd (14) & dh can build in the week after Christmas when dh doesn't have work. The time with Dh is as much a present as the project.

And yes, I know you asked for boy presents, but I think this would be a great present for boy or girl who is interested in building things. Things that explode, or light on fire, or shoot other things.

HTH,

Amber in SJ

Does he take theater, voice, sewing, or costume design classes? Maybe you could give him a certificate to add a class of his choice at a local theater. I also think the video camera might be a good idea for a boy who likes those things. It's such a tough age for buying presents!

Yes, he already takes a lot of theatre (performance and tech/design) and dance classes classes. And he takes private voice lessons and sings with a choir. I've offered sewing classes in the past, but he's not interested, probably largely because he'd be the only boy in the class. That's true much of the time, but I think he's a little tired of it.

I honestly can't imagine him using and enjoying a video camera. I'm intrigued, because so many people have suggested it, but it's not something in which he's ever shown an interest. He's been in a few short and independent films and enjoyed the process, but he hasn't mentioned the idea of wanting to be behind the camera. We gave our daughter a video-capable camera when she was about this age, and she never really used it.

I'll mention the idea to my husband and see what he thinks.

A collection of videos or cds of classic Broadway musicals, plus Fred Astaire/Ginger Rogers movies. Maybe throw in light opera or operetta -- like Offenbach, Johann Strauss jr, Lehar, Gilbert & Sullivan. That could build on what he already likes and extend it. Opera costumes & sets can be so elaborate -- your ds might love these.

Biographies of musical comedy actors, musical comedy encyclopedia, if such a thing exists.

We already have a few G&S things on DVD and more on CD. He does love opera, too, and has been in several, including a few with the local professional opera company. He's also done Pirates of Penzance with a youth company.

There honestly aren't many good film versions of Broadway-style musicals, but we have most of them, anyway.

Mine is 14. He's getting Modern Warfare 3 and a Kindle Touch. His Kindle will actually be here the day before Thanksgiving. *I'm* looking forward to the early delivery so I can stop loaning him my Kindle. Family members will probably give him iTunes gift cards or money. It's a tough age to buy for.

My 13 year old son is getting the Art of War by Sun Tzu which is a book on military strategy but is very helpful in other parts of life and business.

Click here: Amazon.com: The Art of War (History and Warfare) (9780813319513): Sun Tzu, Ralph D. Sawyer: Books I picked this exact book up at the GoodWill for 47 cents a few months back to give him for Christmas.

One of my dh's favorite books. I think he married me b/c I had read it.

I love the maze game. I'll add that to ds' list. Curious about the wall swords. Will have to look that one up. My ds13 is a fencer, and he might really like that.

Magazine subscriptions (last year was National Geographic), this year might be their new history magazine.

He also loves sports, so I'm getting him several logo sweatshirts/sweatpants. Team football jerseys are expensive.

Accessories for his dog.

Science stuff-someone is getting an ant farm this year.

Maybe one new video game.

Laura

I'm going to find dd12 even harder to shop for. She's not into typical girl stuff.

I read this to my dc and they suggest fabric, knitting supplies, and a GC to a craft store. My oldest suggests a Kindle and a Ukulele.

Pretty sure my 14 yo ds will be getting a Ukulele. :001_smile:

There will be Kindles also. Not sure who's getting them, but plan to buy a couple.

I honestly can't imagine him using and enjoying a video camera. I'm intrigued, because so many people have suggested it, but it's not something in which he's ever shown an interest. He's been in a few short and independent films and enjoyed the process, but he hasn't mentioned the idea of wanting to be behind the camera. We gave our daughter a video-capable camera when she was about this age, and she never really used it.

I'll mention the idea to my husband and see what he thinks.

How about just a good digi-cam? They're really quite useful. Our family has several (and I own a dslr) and someone usually gets one for Christmas (upgrade/replacement etc). This year it will be dd as her's is broken.

I read this to my dc and they suggest ...SNIP..... a Ukulele.

I love this!

How about some elaborate costumes that would otherwise not be in budget?

Some obsidian, safety goggles and leather pad for flint knapping?

Whittling stuff?

Posters of some of his favorite musicals/performances?

A nifty day calendar? I am currently looking for one that has a vocabulary word of the day or Far Side cartoons. We did Dilbert this year and DS loves it.

The only thing I know I'll be getting for my boys is The Inheritance by C. Paolini (although they were really disappointed the trilogy was spread out into a 4th book).

My ds13 requested a few video games and books, so he is getting those. I'm thinking about getting him a new hoodie (his sibs are getting new pajamas but I think he'd prefer a hoodie to PJs). Possibly a gift certificate for an 'experience' gift though I'm not sure what, exactly. He's really into Boy Scouts so maybe something along those lines...

I love this!

How about some elaborate costumes that would otherwise not be in budget?

Some obsidian, safety goggles and leather pad for flint knapping?

Whittling stuff?

Posters of some of his favorite musicals/performances?

A nifty day calendar? I am currently looking for one that has a vocabulary word of the day or Far Side cartoons. We did Dilbert this year and DS loves it.

The only thing I know I'll be getting for my boys is The Inheritance by C. Paolini (although they were really disappointed the trilogy was spread out into a 4th book).

He probably will get a page-a-day calendar for his desk. He's been enjoying the dragon one this year. I haven't found one that I think he'll love just yet.

I'm busy cross-stitching a pajama top to go with the pants I'm making, and I know he'll be getting a home-made ornament, too. Those things are both traditions.

I've ordered a couple of books.

I'm sure I'll find a couple of other small things, but we're really stumped for the "big" gift. Contributing to the problem is that we don't have the money we normally do to throw at this problem. In a normal year, we'd have more options. This year, though, I'm looking for the wow factor on a slightly smaller budget.

OK, how about archery lessons and equipment? I know you said you disapproved of him making bow and arrows in the backyard, but it's an interesting sport and he won't be shooting the neighbors if he's at a range.:001_smile:

Thanks, but it's not a possibility. We're ethical vegans, and the only places we've found (yes, I've looked) to get lessons are all about hunting, complete with animal heads mounted on the walls. We've also discovered that, when we allow him to go down that road past a certain point, his behavior deteriorates markedly.

And, he did once shoot the neighbor. In the face. It was an accident, but it could have been a tragedy. So, not something I plan to encourage.

Thanks, but it's not a possibility. We're ethical vegans, and the only places we've found (yes, I've looked) to get lessons are all about hunting, complete with animal heads mounted on the walls. We've also discovered that, when we allow him to go down that road past a certain point, his behavior deteriorates markedly.

And, he did once shoot the neighbor. In the face. It was an accident, but it could have been a tragedy. So, not something I plan to encourage.

Our YMCA offers lessons, with no animals mounted, safety focused, no hunting. Just offering an alternative to check for lessons.

It is tough to WOW on less, I'm having the same problem this year. And my ideas just aren't good this year.