Menu

What does a Family Pass to your Science Centre cost?

How much does a family pass (family membership) cost per year at your science centre?  

1. 1. How much does a family pass (family membership) cost per year at your science centre?

• Less than $100
    • $100 - $125
    • $125 - $150
    • $150 - $175
    • $175 - $200
    • More than $200
    • no family pass option at my science centre
    • other

We've got a new science centre in our city slated to open next week. Having two science-mad boys I was quite excited about this, until I looked online at their prices! Eek! I then poked around online and compared prices at our new centre to others in Canada, and was furious--the new prices here are clearly out of line! And all the more so since science centres across North America participate in a 'reciprocal admission' program, meaning membership at one science centre gets you in for free at hundreds of others around the continent when you travel. I wrote a blogpost about this a while back, and it was picked up by a local media outlet, who ran this story about it yesterday.

So--in the interest of gathering more info--how much does a family pass / family membership cost you at your science centre? I'd love responses from all over North America, not just Canada, because as I said, the reciprocal admission agreement is continent-wide. A group of friends and homeschoolers are trying to pressure the new centre into offering an affordable family pass option. Thanks!

We pay $50 for the Science Center and had the option of adding another $40 to that to get passes to four other museums, two of the VERY child-specific. GREAT deal! (That deal does not include the reciprocal agreement with many other science museums, that is thrown in with the Science Museum membership itself.)

Keep in mind that that science center reciprocity agreement is not valid within a certain number of miles from the home museum or your home. Though we've always belonged to the Museum of Life and Science in Durham, NC and the Maryland Science Center in Baltimore has never hassled us about it by checking how many miles it is from our house to there.

ETA: In case I was unclear, I mention this in case anyone had the bright idea of joining the cheapest museum. Which, you can actually do with Children's Museums. That reciprocity agreement doesn't have that in it anywhere.

$70ish for the year for 2 adults and all family, reciprocal included. It is a great one too with an IMAX theater and all hands on, plus a special room set aside for the smaller ones to play so they don't get trampled by the biggers. LOVE it. Free parking.

The Children's Museum here is nice, but it is more expensive than the science one and harder to get to since it is downtown with paid parking. I don't drive downtown if I can help it, so we have to add trolley costs for a large family into the cost.

Wow! After I posted I went to your blog and read about the costs! OMG!! How does anyone afford that?! :glare:

Yeah, exactly. And ours is a 'small' family of 4--2 adults, 2 kids, and getting everyone an 'individual membership' (because no family pass is available) would cost $204-$320/year, depending which "level" of membership we chose. Friends with more kids have to pay more; with 4 kids, you're looking at $460/year at the highest level of membership (which gets you free parking, discounts on classes, etc.). These prices are insane, right? And our science centre keeps telling us (and the media) that the prices are "completely fair". :confused::confused::confused:

The Los Angeles California Science Center is the closest to me. It's free. $10 to park. It isn't that great though. I much prefer the one we used to go to in Seattle.

Just wait a couple of years though when the Endeavor is displayed. :001_smile:

We have lots of local science centers (exploratorium, lawrence hall of science and chabot) that are around $100.

I live half-way between two large cities, both with science museums. I bought a membership last year at my favorite museum - easier for me to drive to, lots of other museums in the area, remodeled recently. I did get a larger package than we needed, so I could take friends for free. We only took friends a few times, but we really enjoyed the extra IMAX tickets.

MAX $185

Includes up to 5 people, plus

• 25 IMAX tickets, valid for any regular (1-hr.) IMAX film (value $175)
  • $3 discount on all additional regular (1-hr.) IMAX films
  • FREE Noble Planetarium tickets
  • FREE exhibit admission to more than 130 childrenĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s museums nationwide, plus free admission to (the other local science museum) and (local nature center)

Holy wow, that is ridiculous. It makes me sad to think that science education will be such a stretch for people.

Az Science Center: Basic family membership for 4 (can add 2 xtra kids for $10/each) = $95. (4 hour parking validation)

Denver Museum of Nature and Science (I'm counting it b/c it's on the reciprocal list): $80 for two adults and all their children, $115 for 7 people of any age. (free parking)

Edited by Ailaena

Those prices really are nuts. Obviously, they're set, so there's not much you can do, but that seems really strange. I think of Boston and New York as having two of the best science museums in North America and those both have basic family membership rates less than $125. When your rates at that out of whack with the best museums in the world, something seems amiss.

I live half-way between two large cities, both with science museums. I bought a membership last year at my favorite museum - easier for me to drive to, lots of other museums in the area, remodeled recently. I did get a larger package than we needed, so I could take friends for free. We only took friends a few times, but we really enjoyed the extra IMAX tickets.

MAX $185

• FREE exhibit admission to more than 130 childrenĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s museums nationwide, plus free admission to (the other local science museum) and (local nature center)

See, that, while expensive, I could see. Our's is $204-460 / year, depending on level and size of family, and no IMAX or similar tickets included--just "special rates" on the new "Dome Theatre", which means yet more costs. I really don't know who they think will be able to afford this!

Those prices really are nuts. Obviously, they're set, so there's not much you can do, but that seems really strange. I think of Boston and New York as having two of the best science museums in North America and those both have basic family membership rates less than $125. When your rates at that out of whack with the best museums in the world, something seems amiss.

I couldn't agree more.

Copied from the other thread.

I didn't vote.

Our science center, California Science Center is free (parking is $10).

The Children's Museum that is pretty close to us (all science activities) is $179/year for the family pass, which I think is outrageous (could possibly be worth it if I lived in the same town).

The Natural History Museum and the Zoo are about $65-70 for a family membership.

We have a membership to a children's museum which includes both ACM (children's museum) and ASTC (science museum) reciprocal privileges for $125 per year.

However, we also belong to another science museum that does NOT participate in the reciprocal admission program. That one is $165 per year for 4 individuals. The membership can be used flexibly, ie. I can bring in 3 friends instead of 3 family members. A membership for 5 is $195, a membership for 6 is $225, and a membership for up to 10 is $285. They have explained that the high cost and lack of reciprocity are due to the very high cost of designing and building a new museum. As a young institution with formidable debt, they can't afford to compete with the lower membership prices of established museums, nor can they afford the lost revenue of reciprocal admission.

Perhaps the part I've bolded above also applies to the Calgary Science Center?

Our state museum participates in the ASTC program. Cost for a family membership (two adults and all children under 21) is $59. We more than make our money back just in the ATSC program alone...several Chicago museums as well as the Louisville Science Center and St. Louis Science Center participate. (all within relatively easy driving distance but over the 90 mile requirement.)

The Children's Museum here is $120 for a family membership, which is also two adults and all children under 21. Last year I purchased that one at half price through Groupon (or something similar). Unfortunately, the Children's Museum doesn't participate in the ACM program.

Where I live in the US, science museums are nonprofits -- and I know the one near me has had significant financial crises at times. If you live in the US and are not in a town with significant corporate philanthropy (in other words, not a lot of Fortune 500 companies are headquarted there) it is really touch a go for most museums of any sort. And since the recession, the corporate philanthropy has really retreated.

I'm not sure what they should charge; just adding one perspective. Most museums can't make it on normal admission prices and memberships. And none of the people working there are getting rich.

No idea how it works in Canada so sorry if this is not applicable.

Ours is $125 for a family of four. (i wasn't sure which box to check.) At this price it pays for itself in less than 2 visits, so I think it's a bargain.

We only do one membership a year. Last year it was the Science center and this year it's the aquarium. We can also be on the DC metro in 20 minutes, so maybe all of those free museums in close proximity keep our prices down?

Can you get into this museum with a membership to somewhere else? If you can, then just buy the cheaper membership.

ETA: Just read your blog. That IS expensive. I'd definitely purchase membership elsewhere. Can't you do it online? We don't seem to have a straight family pass like you mention, but I don't think it's unethical to charge a per person amount for museum membership/entrance. In fact, I think it would be unethical to charge smaller families more per child.

Edited by KungFuPanda

Where I live in the US, science museums are nonprofits -- and I know the one near me has had significant financial crises at times. If you live in the US and are not in a town with significant corporate philanthropy (in other words, not a lot of Fortune 500 companies are headquarted there) it is really touch a go for most museums of any sort. And since the recession, the corporate philanthropy has really retreated.

I'm not sure what they should charge; just adding one perspective. Most museums can't make it on normal admission prices and memberships. And none of the people working there are getting rich.

No idea how it works in Canada so sorry if this is not applicable.

It's same here, and I do understand this perspective--same with an earlier post that mentioned the need to offset the (no doubt high) costs of building this new centre. There is corporate sponsorship--it's the "Telus World of Science, Calgary" after all (Telus is a major telephone company out here), and no doubt some other sponsors have pulled back given the recession. And no doubt this science centre will need to charge more to offset construction costs. My friends and I understand this--to a point.

The problem we have is that the costs are sooooo much more than comparable facilities. $204 / year for the 'no frills, family of 4' membership is awfully steep, especially since we still have to pay extra for parking, for IMAX-like movies ("Dome" movies on the website), get no discounts to classes/workshops/cafeteria/gift shop, etc. If you want these features, you're looking at over $300 / year for a family of 4. For a family of 6, bare bones costs are $288, and the delux package a whopping $460!

I am not sure what the solution is here. No one in this city wants to see this place insolvent. But at those prices, it seems hands-on science education / experience is only for the wealthy and privileged few. There is a "maximum revenue point" any time you are setting prices: in this case, they want to balance the number of memberships/admissions purchased (which will be more if the price is lower) against the profit they can make per membership/admission (which will be more if the price is higher). Only time will tell if they have got this balance right. My friends and I, folks who have been long-time members and supporters of the science centre,feel that these prices will mean far fewer people in the door. Every single one of my homeschool friends--the vast majority of whom have held memberships in the past, because having an large indoor place to go with kids in a city where winter can last a LONG time sure helps!--are not buying a membership at the new science centre. And we would buy if prices were more reasonable. Even at $204/year, if it included the parking and other membership perks, and were truly a 'family pass' so folks with more kids could go too, most of us would probably take it.

As it is, I know a whole lot of people who are looking at picking up a family pass from "Telus World of Science, Edmonton", next time they make the 3 hours drive north. $135 / year for a family of up to 6 (2 adults, 4 kids). And just taking their chances no one will ask for 'proof of residency' here so they can use it. We ourselves are considering this, as we travel a lot, so having a membership somewhere to be able to use the 'reciprocal admission' is worth it.

Edited by veggiegal
typo

depends upon the features. an entry level single person pass is $50, and a family pass of up to six people *starts* at $80. My sil always got the next level up which is $100. (then there's a $250, and up and up we go . . . )

Edited by gardenmom5

It's same here, and I do understand this perspective--same with an earlier post that mentioned the need to offset the (no doubt high) costs of building this new centre. There is corporate sponsorship--it's the "Telus World of Science, Calgary" after all (Telus is a major telephone company out here), and no doubt some other sponsors have pulled back given the recession. And no doubt this science centre will need to charge more to offset construction costs. My friends and I understand this--to a point.

The problem we have is that the costs are sooooo much more than comparable facilities. $204 / year for the 'no frills, family of 4' membership is awfully steep, especially since we still have to pay extra for parking, for IMAX-like movies ("Dome" movies on the website), get no discounts to classes/workshops/cafeteria/gift shop, etc. If you want these features, you're looking at over $300 / year for a family of 4. For a family of 6, bare bones costs are $288, and the delux package a whopping $460!

I am not sure what the solution is here. No one in this city wants to see this place insolvent. But at those prices, it seems hands-on science education / experience is only for the wealthy and privileged few. There is a "maximum revenue point" any time you are setting prices: in this case, they want to balance the number of memberships/admissions purchased (which will be more if the price is lower) against the profit they can make per membership/admission (which will be more if the price is higher). Only time will tell if they have got this balance right. My friends and I, folks who have been long-time members and supporters of the science centre,feel that these prices will mean far fewer people in the door. Every single one of my homeschool friends--the vast majority of whom have held memberships in the past, because having an large indoor place to go with kids in a city where winter can last a LONG time sure helps!--are not buying a membership at the new science centre. And we would buy if prices were more reasonable. Even at $204/year, if it included the parking and other membership perks, and were truly a 'family pass' so folks with more kids could go too, most of us would probably take it.

As it is, I know a whole lot of people who are looking at picking up a family pass from "Telus World of Science, Edmonton", next time they make the 3 hours drive north. $135 / year for a family of up to 6 (2 adults, 4 kids). And just taking their chances no one will ask for 'proof of residency' here so they can use it. We ourselves are considering this, as we travel a lot, so having a membership somewhere to be able to use the 'reciprocal admission' is worth it.

I do think yours sounds expensive. And I didn't tumble to the corporate sponsorship in the name. I do find most places I know here (museums and performing arts companies) try to bend over backwards to keep it accessible for most. I was just researching local field trips and was pleasantly surprised to find low costs for school and homeschool groups. But having been involved with fundraising for local arts groups I know how difficult it can be. And you have to scale back programming and construction to fit your market. Sounds like yours may not have such a good business plan, let alone fufilling their mission of imparting science to the general public.

I voted "other" because it depends on the size of the family.

OSMI in Portland, OR

• Two named adults (parents or grandparents) and up to 4 kids - $95
  • Two named adults (parents or grandparents) and up to 4 kids, 1 guest - $120
  • Two named adults (parents or grandparents) and up to 8 kids, 2 guests, unlimited planetarium - $145
  • Two named adults (parents or grandparents) and up to 10 kids, 3 guests, unlimited planetarium - $200

Extra benefits include:

• Up to $50 off science camps and classes
  • 10% discount at OMSI cafes and the Science Store
  • $1 off tickets to the OMNIMAX Dome Theater, Kendall Planetarium, and USS Blueback
  • FREE admission to over 290 science centers and museums worldwide
  • FREE parking ($3 per family/group for non-members)

ETA: I just read your blog post... holy cow, but that's a lot of money. OMSI's premium "family" membership is less than their 2 adult/2 kid one.

Edited by nmoira

I voted "other" because it depends on the size of the family.

OSMI in Portland, OR

• Two named adults (parents or grandparents) and up to 4 kids - $95

• Two named adults (parents or grandparents) and up to 4 kids, 1 guest - $120

• Two named adults (parents or grandparents) and up to 8 kids, 2 guests, unlimited planetarium - $145

• Two named adults (parents or grandparents) and up to 10 kids, 3 guests, unlimited planetarium - $200

and right from the $95 level it includes admittance to science museums nationwide. It has free parking, and is a really great science museum:lol:

ETA: Moira, you added yours in as I posted. Isn't OMSI great?

and right from the $95 level it includes admittance to science museums nationwide. It has free parking, and is a really great science museum:lol:

It is a great museum but when last I checked it didn't give admission to "all" other museums. I tried in Atlanta and one other city and was told they didn't honor the reciprocal membership. Any insight about whether things have gotten better on that point other than case by case?

ETA: Moira, you added yours in as I posted. Isn't OMSI great?
:D

Yup, and I love the people there. A year from now we'll have 10 minute bus ride direct to the streetcar that will service OMSI... I can hardly wait.

It is a great museum but when last I checked it didn't give admission to "all" other museums. I tried in Atlanta and one other city and was told they didn't honor the reciprocal membership. Any insight about whether things have gotten better on that point other than case by case?
The only Atlanta museum listed as participating in the ASTC Travel Passport Program (link is to a PDF document) is the Fernbank Museum of Natural History.

MAX $185

We live in the same area. We have the max 8 for $245. We had to because we have 6 people we have to pay for, and it's been nice having extra tickets for when my kids want to bring a friend or my parents want to come. We have a reciprocal agreement with the other city's museum, so we still drive over there for a change sometimes.

I am not sure what the solution is here. No one in this city wants to see this place insolvent. But at those prices, it seems hands-on science education / experience is only for the wealthy and privileged few.

Unless your science museums are very different from ours, the education/experience does not come solely or primarily from family visits. For many of these institutions, their real focus is getting school groups in, typically at low or no cost to schools. In effect, those who are able to buy memberships are helping to subsidize programs for children of all income levels. These museums generally treat homeschool groups as schools groups, so we've also been able to organize group visits at very low cost compared to the regular admission prices.

Edited by jplain

Our local local science museum isn't that good. It IS free, though. A family membership that includes a couple of parking passes (though actually being able to find a space is still an issue) is $40. And no ASTC membership.

The next town over (1 - 1 1/2 hours) has a decent science museum, and a family membership is $65. There's another museum about the same distance in the other direction that's mostly a planetarium that's $60, which also gets you ASTC reciprocity. Both are 90 miles from us, and are definitely more than 90 miles from each other, so I'm assuming ASTC reciprocity would apply.

I should plan a trip to the one in the next city down. Maybe along with a history trip. There is a historic site that is also a nice hike (now that the weather is finally nice), or the more famous historic site that they've been to once, but during a major festival, so it was even more crowded than usual.

We have several science centers near us (including museums, zoos):

New York Hall of Science:

* Premier Family membership $125 (includes Science Playground, many extras)

Premier Extended family $200 (up to 10 people)

Basic Family $85

Liberty Science Center (NJ):

Basic Family $140 (2 adults, 4 kids under 18)

Extended Family $240 (up to 10 people)

Bronx Zoo (NY):

Family $129 (2 adults, plus kids under 18)

* Family Premium $159 (2 adults, plus kids under 18, plus 1 guest; includes free admission to all rides - tram, skytrain, merry go round, etc & you skip those ticket lines; free T shirts)

American Museum of Natural History (NY):

* Family $125 (2 adults plus 4 kids under 18, free tickets to special shows, magazine, plus other benefits)

Franklin Institute, Philadelphia:

Family $99 (2 adults, 4 kids)

Boston Museum of Science:

Basic 5 $120, Basic 8 $150

Premier 5 $155, Premier 8 $185

The starred ones are categories I have/have had. Naturally, there are higher benefactor categories that I didn't include here.

I have used my memberships in these to visit other museums outside our area. (You can't get a membership to one place and use it for other local museums.) When we visit other cities, those museums always ask for drivers license or proff that you are from outside their area.

Wow, those Calgary memberships are super expensive. But, perhaps it will change. If I remember correctly, the Liberty Science Center near me had only one family membership when it opened -- the extended one, which is not a good deal for small families. I see now that they have added a less expensive family level.

Oh, I didn't vote -- not sure if I could vote four times.

Edited by Alessandra

There's an option to add a nanny. I found that strange.

Science Center Membership Levels:

• Individual Plus - $75
    Benefits for two individuals
  • Family - $85
    Benefits for two adults and up to four children ages 2 to 18
  • Family Plus - $109
    Benefits for two adults, one guest and all children ages 2 to 18
  • Add a nanny to any Science Center membership for only $24!

Dual Science Center/Zoo Membership Levels:

• Family Dual - $160
    Benefits for two adults and up to four children ages 2 to 18
  • Family Plus Dual - $208
    Benefits for two adults, one guest and all children ages 2 to 18
  • Add a nanny to any Dual Science Center/Zoo membership for only $48

Edited by Trresh

We've never had a mileage requirement with our reciprocity agreement, so maybe these vary? We are provided with a yearly list of all instituations, both nation wide and in Canada, that participate and we have always used ours at museums both near and far.... Or maybe this has never come up for us because of how our museums are placed - I'll go check it, thanks for the info....

for taking the time to give me feedback on this. I've now created a facebook page, "People for an Affordable Calgary Science Centre" aimed at making science education, experience, and enrichment affordable for all in my city. Check it out, 'like' it if you want, leave a comment--every bit helps! Thanks again; this forum rocks!!!

http://www.facebook.com/PeopleForAnAffordableCalgaryScienceCentre