Menu

Do you make your kids fix all math problems they miss?

I do it because they're usually stupid mistakes (like subtracting when supposed to add or not reducing) and I hate those most of all. When it's something they actually are having trouble understanding we usually work it out together on the whiteboard so I don't actually make them correct it on paper.

I sit with my dc while they are doing math so I can catch any errors as they happen. I don't want them working problems incorrectly and having those errors imprinted in their minds. I apply the CM philosophy of not allowing spelling mistakes to math work. So, I guess my kids do rework all the errors, but it's not after-the-fact.

DD and I fix them together, and then I give her similar problems the next day to see if she's got it. The couple of times she tried rushing through and making silly errors, having to go through each problem, step by step, and then do it again the next day corrected THAT pretty quickly.

The only thing I don't require correction in is spelling errors in written narrations or creative writing-because I don't want her to limit herself to what she can easily spell-I want her to write in depth. However, misspelled words in her writing are added to our word wall and to her current spelling list.

I do (we're doing Saxon Math 8/7). Dd thinks this is totally unreasonable. She was fine with my policy until she started co-op and learned that a lot of kids don't have to fix their mistakes. If their mom concludes that they understand the concept, she lets them move on. Many other moms only require evens or odds, too. Another source of much grousing.

So tell me your policy. Am I being too picky? It DOES take her a long time.

Every.last.one.of.them. :lol: We always did it that way, so dd didn't know any differently. When she found out that some other students use the solutions manual themselves to "correct" their problems, she thought this was a great idea and thought we should do the same. Ummm ... no. :D

IMO a lot of the learning and cementing of concepts happens with the re-doing of missed problems.

Yes, he corrects all errors, but I don't think of myself as being "mean" about it. And the corrections in math happen in a few different ways: sometimes I check his work and he corrects it immediately, or even as he is working the problem; other times I check his work at the end and have him spot his own errors and correct them the next day ("There are 2 errors on this page. Find them and correct them") because I think being able to check your own work/find your own mistakes is a key skill in math--and sometimes we talk in more detail about his thinking process to identify the mistaken reasoning. And the final thing I do is note to myself questions he got wrong the first time, and use them cumulatively for sort of a "review/unit test". This is the strategy I followed in my own education, working all the math problems in the text, checking the answers in the back, circling the ones I got wrong. When it came time to review for unit tests and final exams, I simply did all questions I had done incorrectly on the first go.

I honestly don't understand why a child would not be required to correct his/her math (at least orally, and at least investigating where his/her thinking had gone wrong). Isn't making mistakes and later reflecting on them one key way humans learn?

So tell me your policy. Am I being too picky? It DOES take her a long time.

I do. I don't even tell them which ones they got wrong, just that they got x-number incorrect (and it's up to them to find them). They sometimes have to re-do most or all of a page to find their errors.

Sometimes it takes a long time, but .... I don't care :tongue_smilie:. I'd much rather they waste their own time than waste mine; one of my biggest peeves is when they bring me work to be graded that they've either made careless errors on OR that they've guessed at everything (rather than coming to me and asking for more instruction). IMO, both are acts of laziness.

Over the years they've gotten much better at a few things:

(1) asking for help when needed,

(2) checking each problem before moving on, and

(3) reviewing the page for careless errors before submitting it.

That took a long time, too, but all are important skills that also transfer to other areas in life. Even my 11 year old can see that it's been beneficial for him, though the insight doesn't change his opinion that the policy is an awful one. My parents did this with us, and I told my son that I bet once he's a parent he'll end up doing the same - and that it's a way better policy from the adult POV, so at least he has something to look forward to :D. (He hates when I say that!)

ETA: we don't use Saxon, and I also have the same policy for my nephews (who live with me and attend public school).

We fix every problem and then I give them 10 extra problems just like it for every one they get wrong. We continue to work those problems until they understand why they made the mistake and how to do the problem correctly.

Wow, even if it was a simple calculation error but they understand the underlying concept?

Tara

Wow, even if it was a simple calculation error but they understand the underlying concept?

Tara

No, just until they understand the underlying concept. I also work all those "extra 10 problems" with my child untill they really get it down pat before moving on. If it is just a calculation error (such as adding wrong or forgetting to carry the ten) we fix it and move on and I explain the importance of taking their time, keeping their colums nice and straight and checking the problem for calulation errors before moving on to the next problem.

I sit with all my children (just like a tutor would) when they do their math work and I do each math problem with them when using Saxon, we do the program together with the Art Reed DVDs. This way I can catch any problems or mistakes ahead of time and we can review extra problems right away if they are not getting the underlying concept. It adds an extra 15 or 20 minutes to our math period (typically 1 hour) but gives us the benefit of catching mistakes immediately and keeping them on track for understanding and mastering the material before moving on.

I hope I explained that well, I know what I want to say, but I don't always say it in easy to understand ways. I tend to rattle on when trying to explain something. :001_smile: