Menu

Are stockings essential for homecoming dance?

I never did. I went to school dances from 2002-2004 in California. I never noticed any other girls wearing them either, but I wasn't paying attention. I wore long dresses. If it was a short dress, I may have worn stockings.

It is tea length. Does it matter for tea length?

No. She shouldn't have to wear stockings. She will know better what "everyone" will be wearing. Not making her wear them will also not force her to run to the bathroom first thing, take them off then hide them until time to put them on to go home. ;)

I wouldn't force her, but I would wear stockings. Hmph. :D

No stockings! My teen dd and none of her friends own stocking and they go to lots of semiformals and formals. Pedicures and strapy high heeled sandals are the vogue.

Even when my SIL got married several years ago the bridesmaids and she had pedi's and high heeled strapy sandals.

I agree she does not need them and would probably look like an old fuddy duddy if she wore them.

I agree they are out of style (except for this particular 37 yo with terrible varicose veins). Stockings are the lesser of two evils for me. I can't wait until I have my veins taken care of and can ditch the hose again!

I can't remember the last time I saw anyone under the age of about 50 wear a pair of stockings (as opposed to tights, which I do still see in the winter).

Since I'm over 50, can I keep wearing my stockings when I want to????

:lol:

Anne

I agree she does not need them and would probably look like an old fuddy duddy if she wore them.

:iagree: Please don't force her to wear them.

BTW, just the word "stockings" alone is enough to make me giggle.

DD17 wears tights (NOT STOCKINGS) when she wears boots with a dress. She has one skirt that is a tiny bit short and she wears leggings with that one.

Otherwise, she tends to go bare legged with dresses and so do all her friends. Even to homecoming.

Panty hose are completely out of fashion right now. No one is supposed to wear them.

The Duchess of Cambridge (Kate Middleton) is busy bringing them back.

I think for business and formal occasions they still look best but it really depends on the outfit. But maybe I'm just that old.

I'm not sure if I'd force them on a teenager though for an event that is for other teens.

I think the only place I've worn stockings to since I was maybe 12 was a few job interviews. I have worn knee highs with long skirts, but only in the winter to keep my feet warmer and my shoes from getting stinky.

I went to high school in the 90s and people never wore them. Bare legs and sandals were the choice for formal occasions.

The only time any of my dds have worn stockings is for Halloween costumes.

I worked in management before I came home to raise children and I used to wear stockings under pants. I would have felt naked if I hadn't worn them under a skirt.

So the first few times that my girls wanted to go out in a skirt without stockings, you would have thought that they had told me that they were going out without any bottoms at all. It was a hard adjustment to make but now it would seem weird to see a teen in stockings.

I ditched pantyhose 16 years ago when I was pregnant with my youngest. You young things have NO IDEA what maternity pantyhose were like. It was AWFUL. (I'm 50 BTW)

However, a friend of mine went to Paris this spring and saw lots of young women wearing them. I think they are on the way back.

I was just asking my daughter the other day if "the younger generation" ever wears stockings. She said she and her friends never think of doing so, even on formal occasions. Apparently, it's just not the thing to do anymore.

I never do. I'm over 40. If one feels the need for something in the tummy area, that's why the goddesses made spanx. ;) My mother has some veins she likes to cover some, so she uses a bit of leg make up (yes they make such a thing). It seems to work fine for her. She says she always hated stocklings as a girl and loves that ithey are not necessary anymore.

Of course, I do love dark cotton tights in winter. I have black, brown and dark gray. They are the thicker ones and are very soft and comfy. Admittedly I am a geek. I wear this with clogs. A look that might be sccary to a teen girl, however. lol I notice they wear leggings with Uggs. I might be too old for *that*! lol

Edited by LibraryLover

I know several women that did not wear hose when they got married in big, poofy, traditional wedding gowns. I don't see any reason why someone should wear them if they do not want to.

Faith

I was one of those bride's ;)

She does not need them. I hate pantyhose, my mom always made me wear them when I was younger. Let her be comfortable.

The only reason that anyone I knew wore stockings/pantyhose to a formal dance was to get past the MANDATORY "thong check."

So completely inappropriate, but when/where I went to school a girl had to "prove" she was not just wearing thong undies beneath her dress. I'm pretty sure the administrators were all pervs; I never went to a dance at that school!

So TMI, but a nice pedicure with strappy shoes is just fine!

I am so behind the times. I don't think I am capable of wearing a dress without pantyhose. It would just feel so weird to me, although I have no problem wearing shorts. Now, I haven't worn hose in probably a year, but I haven't worn a dress in that long, either. LOL, after this thread, I think I'll never wear a dress again, and then I don't have to feel old by wearing pantyhose.

Panty hose are completely out of fashion right now. No one is supposed to wear them.

I just don't get this. If a woman is wearing a business-type knee-ish length pencil skirt in the winter, with pumps, bare legs are going to freeze. Tights look goofy with a business type skirt. Do they really go around with bare legs even with a conservative business outfit on ?

Do they really go around with bare legs even with a conservative business outfit on ?

I think this probably depends on where you are located and exactly how "conservative" your business is. I have a friend that is required to wear hose with all her business clothes and we live in Texas. However, she NEVER wears them with dresses to church.

I just don't get this. If a woman is wearing a business-type knee-ish length pencil skirt in the winter, with pumps, bare legs are going to freeze. Tights look goofy with a business type skirt. Do they really go around with bare legs even with a conservative business outfit on ?

It doesn't get as cold during the winter in San Francisco as it does in Chicago, but I see lots of young women wearing a skirt suit, patterned tights like these ones, and knee-high boots.

I really hope stockings are coming back! I LOVE them! (yes, really)

However, I wouldn't think they are essential for a homecoming dance and wouldn't make dd wear them.

:iagree:

I haven't worn them for some time but when I did I felt like my "look" was completely put together and felt great. They also made my shoes fit much better.

It doesn't get as cold during the winter in San Francisco as it does in Chicago, but I see lots of young women wearing a skirt suit, patterned tights like these ones, and knee-high boots.

:001_huh: I could never consider tights like that "business" attire..... they look more appropriate for going out to a club...but hey, I'm old and conservative.... what about the women in their 30s and 40s ?

I am having a really hard time envisioning opaque tights with pumps looking professional.....do they do that now ? Really ?

Edited by laundrycrisis

Hijack for a second: Funny story about hose. They got new uniforms again for the girl guides/pathfinders here in Canada. When I was in pathfinders the uniform was the white blouse that had navy blue pinstripes, a knee length navy blue skirt (and it was measured to be sure it was never 2 fingerwidths above the knee), respectable shoes(no heels, no sneakers) and navy blue hose(though sheer was acceptable if your blue ones got a run that and you couldn't get to the store) and the tie. In guides was the blue dress with blue tights not hose. I was in Pathfinders from ages 12-15(so 1989-1992). DD is currently 12 and the troop out here does not start pathfinders until age 13 so she is still in guides. The uniform now is the blue t-shirt and tie with whatever pants they want and sneakers. Pathfinders has a green t-shirt. Such a difference. I was telling her all about this the other night and the look on her face was priceless. She could not imagine having to wear a uniform like that at all these days yet she is the same age I was when I wore it. I was informed by her that if that was still the uniform she would never go to guiding. I still remember having to make sure we have clear nailpolish in our bags in case we got a run while out on a group led activity.

Anyway, back to your topic. Laundrycrisis I am there with you about those tights. If I was wearing business attire with the skirts and heels etc I would still wear stockings. Meaning the kind with the garters. I can't stand pantyhose and prefer to have access to a toilet without all that hassle. However, I would not feel comfortable wearing tights like those. I would feel like I was dressed for halloween or working the corner. I would rather be considered outdated lol. I wish that stockings would be brought back in. I think my legs look better in them. Particularily in winter when I could land planes with the gleam of white they give off ;)

Opaque tights look alright with a business skirt--however, there are some occasions where I would wear pantyhose, although I really hate them.

When it's hot, though, tights look (and are) too hot; when it's really cold, pantyhose look terribly impractical and cold. :tongue_smilie:

As for the OP--I don't think your daughter should wear pantyhose, especially with strappy sandals. I think it looks really goofy to have toes sticking out of the end of a sandal with pantyhose on. My vote: lotion on her legs so they don't look dry, a good pedicure and bare legs.

We live in the NW, land of casual, which I love, however, 14 dd will not consider wearing sheer stockings with her dress. Does it matter if she doesn't wear stockings?
Matter? To whom? Why would anyone care ~ and why would you care if they care ~ whether or not a 14 yo girl wears hosiery?

The notion that pantyhose are completely out of fashion assumes that women can look good without them. Alas, that's far from the truth. Most grown women who opt out of hosiery simply don't have the figure to boast bare legs. But if they feel good going that route, so be it. I may mentally call the fashion police, but...so what? All the more so with regard to an adolescent girl.

Wow, I live near DC and NEVER see professional women without hose. At church, too--but I don't wear them very often b/c I get itchy, so I try to buy things long enough that I can just wear knee hi's.

I make dd wear pantyhose at church, but never, never with sandals.

What's her dress look like? :001_smile:

I was just asking my daughter the other day if "the younger generation" ever wears stockings. She said she and her friends never think of doing so, even on formal occasions. Apparently, it's just not the thing to do anymore.

I consider this piece of information the first sign of true emancipation for women.

Signed,

And old woman who thinks stockings are bad and pantyhose are worse*. I'm so old I know the difference between the two.

*If they are so great, why don't men have/want to wear them? (Even Joe Namath couldn't make a go of that!)

I hadn't thought about it until this thread, but I haven't worn pantyhose in I don't know when. I switched to garter belt and stockings years ago, but haven't worn those either since I don't know when. Maybe my wedding a few years ago? I do LOVE stockings with a garter belt, but pantyhose are awful things. Especially when you are short and round. They just DO NOT FIT.

:001_huh: I could never consider tights like that "business" attire..... they look more appropriate for going out to a club...but hey, I'm old and conservative.... what about the women in their 30s and 40s ?

I am having a really hard time envisioning opaque tights with pumps looking professional.....do they do that now ? Really ?

You can only see a couple of inches of the tights between the top of the boot and the bottom of the skirt. Doesn't look funny to me, but I'm tail end of Gen X, almost Gen Y.

Middle-aged women typically are in pantsuits during cold weather.