Menu

Are stockings essential for homecoming dance?

Wow, I live near DC and NEVER see professional women without hose.

Not to be mean, but DC is not known for being fashion forward.

Neither is my city.

Here a lot of the older ladies wear pants most of the time and when they do wear dresses they wear pantyhose. The younger women wear opaque tights in the winter and bare legs in the summer. I'm in the middle (at age 50), and some women my age always wear pantyhose and others almost never do.

We live in the NW, land of casual, which I love, however, 14 dd will not consider wearing sheer stockings with her dress. Does it matter if she doesn't wear stockings?

My dd is a senior, and she has never worn nylons to a dance. She does, however, wear bike shorts under her dress... because evidently sometimes kids will decide to do their own "thong check."

I just don't get this. If a woman is wearing a business-type knee-ish length pencil skirt in the winter, with pumps, bare legs are going to freeze. Tights look goofy with a business type skirt. Do they really go around with bare legs even with a conservative business outfit on ?

I think that dark/opaque hose are frequently worn with dark business suits. The nude panty hose that was once so common is what is really out of fashion. I do see woman wearing knee high boots with pencil skirts all the time.

I think a lot of women, especially the younger generation, consider them dated and don't wear them.

IME they are still worn in very conservative work environments (depending on geography and professional field) but socially they are much less common than they were years ago.

Opaque "tights" are still worn pretty often, or funkier hosiery, but traditional pantyhose really just don't seem to be a common thing anymore. I'd let her do whatever she's comfortable with, personally.

Not to be mean, but DC is not known for being fashion forward.

For that matter, America isn't fashion forward, so the norm here is by no means The Norm. But again, it's not as if anyone cares what you, or I, or an adolescent girl, wear in the grand scheme of things.

The Duchess of Cambridge (Kate Middleton) is busy bringing them back.

I think for business and formal occasions they still look best but it really depends on the outfit. But maybe I'm just that old.

I'm not sure if I'd force them on a teenager though for an event that is for other teens.

This raises a question for me. Do women still wear hose/stockings when doing professional office jobs? I mean attorneys or top managers or something?

Do they even still wear suits with skirts?

You can tell I've been out of an office for awhile...

(Imagine old lady voice) "In MY day, young women -or any women- did not appear at the office without pantyhose. Bare legs just weren't done".

I realize this thread is about teen girls, which is far different than professional women, but I'm just wondering?

Here a lot of the older ladies wear pants most of the time and when they do wear dresses they wear pantyhose. The younger women wear opaque tights in the winter and bare legs in the summer. I'm in the middle (at age 50), and some women my age always wear pantyhose and others almost never do.

I love how you put this.

Yes, we at or near 50 are "in the middle", NOT "older women".

I like you.:D

What???? A "mandatory thong check"????

WHO would be authorized to check for thongs and WHY would the be forbidden anyway. They are supposed to be under clothing (I'm presuming)?

So what is the rationale for checking? It's not like they are a safety hazard to anyone other than the wearer (urinary tract infections).

I don't get it.

I just don't get this. If a woman is wearing a business-type knee-ish length pencil skirt in the winter, with pumps, bare legs are going to freeze. Tights look goofy with a business type skirt. Do they really go around with bare legs even with a conservative business outfit on ?

Laughing at this.

Yeah, in MY neck of the woods, no one is going bare-legged in the winter! Not unless they want their legs to snap off from the cold.