Menu

Display your current read aloud...

ThreeBlessings

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't look at signatures much but what if we started a weekly read aloud thread? Kind of like the "what are you reading, book a week" thread in the general forum. We could list our current read alouds and give our mini reviews, including appropriate age range.

What do you guys think? That would alleviate people always having to update signatures (something I'd never remember to do) and keep fresh ideas flowing.

This is a great idea. I would participate!

We are currently reading The Hobbit; second time around for me and first time around for my younger dc. I'm finding it a bit hard to read aloud and I don't remember it being awkward the first time through. Hoping I'll find my groove soon.

Nice thread.

We are currently finishing off the Laura Ingalls series. We are have way through "These Happy Golden Years". But you can guess this from my avatar picture. I'm always changing it to reflect our current major read aloud.

Next up either a Cricket in times square, or the Saturdays rise by Elizabeth Enright, or The School Mouse and other mouse books by Dick King-Smith. (we recently had some up close and personal experience with baby mice. )

We are also reading the autobiography of Bill Peet, and we have just rad about 30 of his picture books.

We are half way through Awful Egyptians.

(I blame my ipad for all mistakes)

Ok, with the motivation of this thread, I sat the kids down on the couch at 7 pm and started reading The Wonderful Wizard of Oz. To my surprise, on the couch, even the 2 year old sat down to listen! So maybe I just need to do bedtime story on the couch instead of in their bedroom. :tongue_smilie:

Mine probably won't change real often b/c I am lucky most of the time to read 1 chapter a day to dd while she is playing.

Our current book is Swiss Family Robinson. We also read the bible and several board books, as a previous poster said the ones she hasn't eaten yet.:lol:

We are HUGE fans of Mysterious Benedict Society in our house. In fact, we just got this in yesterday's mail. We haven't had a chance to dig through it yet, but it looks fabulous!

http://www.amazon.com/Mysterious-Benedict-Society-Perplexing-Conundrums/dp/0316181935/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1318018122&sr=8-1

That looks awesome. I may have to order it.

Ok, with the motivation of this thread, I sat the kids down on the couch at 7 pm and started reading The Wonderful Wizard of Oz. To my surprise, on the couch, even the 2 year old sat down to listen! So maybe I just need to do bedtime story on the couch instead of in their bedroom. :tongue_smilie:

We do read alouds for lots of 'reasons' and in lots of places. My kids eat breakfast out of buckets when sitting on the couch listening. Listening before dinner when I'm cooking. Listening before bed in bed. ...

We have such a comfortable couch with kick up legs right beside a big bookshelf with out ward facing books.

We read that book (abridged) and then picked up another book in that series. Turned out to be the last book in the series, but I just loved it. My experience with the Wizard of Oz has been limited to the movie. But we loved the book. THe real book. Baum had quite the imagination and was such a good writer.

I don't look at signatures much but what if we started a weekly read aloud thread? Kind of like the "what are you reading, book a week" thread in the general forum. We could list our current read alouds and give our mini reviews, including appropriate age range.

What do you guys think? That would alleviate people always having to update signatures (something I'd never remember to do) and keep fresh ideas flowing.

This is a good idea. :)

:iagree:

(just because it's easier ;))

Current read aloud: Shadow of the Boyd by Diana Menefy

Right now we're reading "Misty of Chincoteague" by Marguerite Henry. Love that book!

We did that this summer. It was excellent! The boys really liked it! I have another book that follows it... forget what it's called, and I haven't read it yet. :tongue_smilie:A friend of mine shops the book section of thrift stores for me and that was one of the ones she got.

We read that book (abridged) and then picked up another book in that series. Turned out to be the last book in the series, but I just loved it. My experience with the Wizard of Oz has been limited to the movie. But we loved the book. THe real book. Baum had quite the imagination and was such a good writer.

My experience is also just with the movie. I downloaded this on Google Books on my phone, and it has the pictures and everything! So the kids enjoyed looking at the occasional picture. Just the name of the first chapter grabbed their attention, since they like tornadoes, plus DS1 had read the excerpts that are in WWE1 week 36. Now he gets to hear "the rest of the story". :D

We just finished Peter Pan and Little House in the Big Woods. We're about to start Alice in Wonderland.

Great idea-- I've put a few books on our list :).

Jen

This sounds like our recent reading list. Writing with Ease has been wonderful here. We just finished Alice in Wonderland and have started Little House on the Prairie at his request.

Currently: On the Banks of Plum Creek and The Just So Stories.

DD9 is reading the Chronicles of Narnia. She has finished The Magician's Nephew and The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe so far. I want to wrangle it out of her hands to read aloud to us all, but she is too firmly attached to it! Luckily she tells us all about it constantly.

***** I like the thread idea better, btw. We change too often for me to remember to change my siggie.

We have recently discovered the Moomintroll books. Where have these been? We love them!
I loved the series growing up and finally my kids are old enough to enjoy them. Brings back all kinds of memories. :D

She has a few books for adults too, short stories, I believe. Worth checking them out.

I loved the series growing up and finally my kids are old enough to enjoy them. Brings back all kinds of memories. :D

She has a few books for adults too, short stories, I believe. Worth checking them out.

Oo! Thanks!

*sigh* As if my "to read" pile weren't big enough....

In a related note, did you know that Russell Hoban (A Bargain for Frances, etc.) wrote a post-apocalyptic novel for adults? Riddley Walker. Dh read it and said it was very good, if tough, reading.

Just to keep up the town's reputation for weirdness, there's an adults-only puppet performance of Riddley Walker going on right now. I think we'll go check it out.

I have a bunch going at any one time...

Five Children and It

By the Shores of Silver Lake

Burgess Animals

Viking Tales

(...and I usually consider SOTW and science in our RA's...b/c that is the main medium of teaching those subjects in our house...)