Menu

Display your current read aloud...

ThreeBlessings

I noticed a lot of people put their current curricula in their signatures. I love to see what others are using for various reasons, not the least of which is gaining ideas. I decided to start putting our current read aloud(s) in my signature as well, and would like to invite others to do so. This may be too much a hassle for some people to change frequently, but I would love to be able to see current read alouds alongside the curricula you are using so join in if you want to share.

:)

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We recently finished The Wizard of Oz. We are about half way through The Last of the Really Great Whangdoodles. Next up (I think) is The Doll People.

We have this fantastic, organized, nice-smelling 2nd hand book store locally and I keep finding such great stuff there that it is difficult to decide what to read next!

My 7.5 yo is an advanced reader, but my 4.5 yo is still learning to read and listens in on our read alouds, so I try to strike a balance. It can be tough at times.

We're about to finish Up One Pair of Stairs, and finished Gooney Bird and the Room Mother (a sequel to Gooney Bird Greene) yesterday. I will probably start The Wizard of Earthsea next. I recently bought Tales from Earthsea on DVD and she's been dying to know how Sparrowhawk became archmage. :lol: We're also reading LOF: Apples, Rocks and Minerals: A Gem of a Book (Basher), Among the Night People, and The Jungle Book. Some are moving more quickly than others.

fixed in sig. :)

We're almost finished "The Magic Pudding"

RA with my DD (I read a few pages, she finishes the chapter) is "A series of Unfortunate events - the reptile room"

For my boys I'm reading "Elmer and the Dragon"

Edited by LMD

We are in-between books.

We are doing SotW 1 and just finished reading:

9780439652230.gif

It was... okay. The story doesn't coincide with Old Kingdom Egypt, and I explained this to my kids - but it was a way to bring ancient Egypt to life - integrate our read-aloud *loosely* into what we were studying about in History. The story was OK, the storytelling was mediocre. My kids were very lukewarm about it, and I don't blame them. I do think it provided a valuable illustration of Ancient Egyptian life, however.

We had also read right before this:

51iaxCeETeL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Also not great, but IMO, a better choice than Maia of Thebes if you had to pick one.

Next on our list are some Indian Folktales as we study ancient India.. and then..

61JzSS8Fb9L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Once again, totally in-congruent century, but literature to bring color (hopefully) to our introduction to the study of Ancient China.

Edited by zenjenn

We're about to finish Up One Pair of Stairs, and finished Gooney Bird and the Room Mother (a sequel to Gooney Bird Greene) yesterday. I will probably start The Wizard of Earthsea next. I recently bought Tales from Earthsea on DVD and she's been dying to know how Sparrowhawk became archmage. :lol: We're also reading LOF: Apples, Rocks and Minerals: A Gem of a Book (Basher), Among the Night People, and The Jungle Book. Some are moving more quickly than others.

I'm reading the 6th book in the series to myself right now. I LOVE those books!

Our current read-alouds are Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and we just finished The Cabin Faced West and are about to start some retelling of The Odyssey -

Current read aloud for my 11yo-15yo grade girls - Great Expectations (unabridged)

Just finished for my 4yo-11yo - Wizard of OZ

Planning to start today for my younger crowd - The Odyssey (Geraldine McCaughrean)

probably that one.

Off to change my signature!

I don't look at signatures much but what if we started a weekly read aloud thread? Kind of like the "what are you reading, book a week" thread in the general forum. We could list our current read alouds and give our mini reviews, including appropriate age range.

What do you guys think? That would alleviate people always having to update signatures (something I'd never remember to do) and keep fresh ideas flowing.

I don't look at signatures much but what if we started a weekly read aloud thread? Kind of like the "what are you reading, book a week" thread in the general forum. We could list our current read alouds and give our mini reviews, including appropriate age range.

What do you guys think? That would alleviate people always having to update signatures (something I'd never remember to do) and keep fresh ideas flowing.

Great idea! I would participate!

We are HUGE fans of Mysterious Benedict Society in our house. In fact, we just got this in yesterday's mail. We haven't had a chance to dig through it yet, but it looks fabulous!

http://www.amazon.com/Mysterious-Benedict-Society-Perplexing-Conundrums/dp/0316181935/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1318018122&sr=8-1

We are also reading the Mysterious Benedict Society and I just added the above to my son's Wish list for Christmas. It looks great, and I can't wait to read some reviews.

I love this, as well as the original idea.

I would probably be better about this than editing my signature. We are reading The London Eye Mystery, and it has been a huge hit here. The kids beg to hear "just one more chapter" every night and dd actually thanked me for choosing it!

This thread is encouraging me to get back to read alouds! It's been tough with the 2 year old lately, but I have some afternoon time that would work.

When I read a bedtime story lately, I've been doing Lang's Blue Fairy Book on my phone. My oldest really enjoys them. Middle son is still not understanding the language, I think (he had a speech delay, so I'm not surprised). Middle son would greatly benefit from more reading aloud. ;)

I think I'll redo the schedule this weekend and make sure I have a read aloud time in the afternoons during 2 year old's nap time. I need to redo the schedule anyway since I added K this week (which is going great).