Menu

Any CM followers left?

Kfamily

Guest IdahoMtnMom

I don't know if I count because I am new here... and new to homeschooling, but I am a CM follower with my little ones.... ages 3 and 4.

Oh yes, you absolutely count!

And I'm not looking for strict CM followers...I'm not sure I have ever met anyone that doesn't adapt at least a little...and I have known some that were very strict followers (wonderful ladies) but even they adapted a little.

Edited by Kfamily

Me, me, ME!

Not devoutly CM, because we love us our workbooks (sometimes), but enough that I have the books, talk the talk, follow the composers (but NOT the artists!), and switched to Apologia from Elemental Science to have a more "cuddle-up-n-read" science curriculum...

More about what we do, CM-wise, over here, including free composer & other printables. Feel free to follow along when the rest of the CM world is quiet. There are also forums over at SimplyCM, I think... but I didn't like them as much as here. This site is my "one-stop shopping" for homeschool support!

well, sort of ... :001_smile:

We're using a lot of standard WTM-type resources, but Button wasn't thriving until I added a generous helping of CM philosophy. We're character-centered; spend tons of time outside as part of our school; have daily poetry, Bible, and copywork; teatime each day; and will be incorporating handicrafts by the holidays. Also we are doing a version of composer study, though I cycle btw. classical, jazz, folksongs, and gospel music roughly weekly (I may change to a longer cycle time). What would I do wo Ambleside Online, SCM, and Milestones Academy? That's where I refresh my spirit and can be renewed as a homeschool mama.

and :bigear:

Another relative newbie, but I consider myself CM and lovin' it. I wouldn't say we've implemented everything we "should" yet, but I am trying to structure our family and learning rhythms based largely on her principles (I've made it through I think about four of her books, and she is so, so wise). CM reminds me of what I liked most about my own upbringing, and I think it's likely it will remain a permanent part of our lives.

Michele B,

I'm just beginning to prepare for Plutarch (yes, we are just now starting this with my 9th grader). We should compare notes, if you'd like. I'm starting with Brutus, which I know is unconventional, but we'll be reading Julius Caesar by Shakespeare soon and I wanted to read Plutarch's Brutus and Caesar before reading the play. (Shakespeare was said to base his ideas of the characters from Plutarch's biography of them.) I know I could use all the help I can get.

Michele B,

I'm just beginning to prepare for Plutarch (yes, we are just now starting this with my 9th grader). We should compare notes, if you'd like. I'm starting with Brutus, which I know is unconventional, but we'll be reading Julius Caesar by Shakespeare soon and I wanted to read Plutarch's Brutus and Caesar before reading the play. (Shakespeare was said to base his ideas of the characters from Plutarch's biography of them.) I know I could use all the help I can get.

I would love to have a Plutarch-buddy! Seriously, I have to work really hard to figure this out before I go over it with dd10almost11. I hope soon she will be able to help me! ;) I started last Monday with Poplicola/Publicola using Anne White's guide from Ambleside. http://www.amblesideonline.org/PlPublicola.shtml

I have printed out the section for each week and inserted the vocabulary definitions and helps from the study guide right in the text. Week 2 has gotten pushed back 2 days, and I hope to get it done tomorrow! I thought it would be a good time to start because we are in Year 3 and the Founding Fathers also studied Plutarch. I love that Anne White's guide is divided into 12 chunks, but really, it could be divided into smaller chunks.

:001_smile: CM is my favorite educational philosophy. HOD pulls a lot of that together for me though it isn't pure CM. We use Rod & Staff English and we do phonics. I do refer to WTM frequently and try to mesh the two to guide our studies. CM is VERY inspiring and it's "deep". Challenges me to be a better Mama and teacher....

I use MFW for the core of our studies. They describe themselves as Classical/CM/Unit Studies - so I guess that's what I am, but I always think of myself as a CM homeschooler.

When reality collides with my ideal, I need to make some compromises in terms of what tool to use - but I'm always Charlotte's girl at heart. :D (I need to keep reminding myself that the teachers Charlotte trained did not have to also cook and do laundry and run their little students all over town to extra-curriculars and buy groceries and and and...maybe it IS okay if I don't have 5 hours every afternoon to sit outside with them.)

I`m new here but I love CM. Mind you I tend to be big on principles and flexible on presentation. We`re using mostly Ambleside ,year 1, with my daughter, who is going to be 7 at Christmas.

I originally was looking at classical curricula, having been a classics major myself, but I find CM is really a classical curriculum with some things I really value - a more pedagogically appropriate approach to the younger years in particular, and fewer text books. In fact, in the latter point think it is really more classical than some of the other plans i have seen that claim that label.

We meld together CM and Classical here. It works well for our family. Each year I have great plans to do Plutarch. We do great for a few weeks and then we slowly peter out. This year was no exception. I so badly want to do Plutarch but I don't know why we can't be consistent with it. :confused:

Yes I have moved over to much of her ways. I plan on fully incorporating it next year when I can buy what I need. I am holding on to Phonics Road however since the girls really love it and it works. I had so much curriculum purchased that I just can't buy more!

I would love to dump it all and just rebuy at this point. I am loving that a lot of the books I need are on the kindle for free.

CM here too! Although this year I'm cheating with Singapore Science MPH 3/4 :tongue_smilie: Nature Studies have been impossible for me/us for the past um, year - in the hot humidity, combining pregnancy, new baby, and such. Even with all that, we managed to study wildflowers, sketch them, raise butterflies, catch and study insects, read about them, etc. Dh also did units in Electricity and Rocks and Minerals with ds. Hey, not bad.

Thinking of going back to BFSU next year (which I feel meshes incredibly well with CM philosophy), I miss the approach. We will add living books, go outside more often, watch videos online and on Netflix, and use a good kit. I'll have ds narrate in writing, and follow Dr. Nebel's recommendations in BFSU 3-5.

I own and have read most of the Original Home Education series, own and have read both A CM Companion and When Children Love to Learn. Note to self: After reading Emotionally Intelligent Parenting and Raising Children, Raising Ourselves, review key chapters in CM's Home Education. Reread When Children Love to Learn cover to cover.

Edited by sagira

I discovered C.M. soon after my first baby was born and I fell in love. I immediately began reading her original writings and have been...studying(?)...her methods ever since to some degree. Her writings on early childhood were soooo lovely to me as a mom of little ones. As the "rubber meets the road" I find myself tweaking, failing, finding my feet and such. We are still very much in the beginning of this journey and I'm not sure what it will all look like, but I am still learning about Charlotte (I guess I could spend my whole life studying her) and no matter where our journey takes us she will always be a huge inspiration to me and a fond memory of how this journey began.

I like a lot of what I've seen from CM, though I haven't made an exhaustive study. Nature Study is here to stay for us; I try to get us out for official "nature study" twice a week, and have "outside play" time on the schedule every day. Soooo good for me and better for the boys: I could stay inside with my books nearly 24-7! But I'm learning to love being outside.

Lots of topics, short duration of lessons, yeah, we do that too. I was reading "Laying Down the Rails" but it got lost... the first habit I was working on was organization for ME. :blush:

Is it possible to be a CM/WTM/LCC 'er? :D I find myself to be WTM in language arts, LCC in "classical studies" and CM in history, science, nature study, fine arts etc. I plan to do Plutarch and Shakespeare, I am running 2 history streams, (American and Greek), we do narrations, short lessons and lots of outside time. But I do start grammar, and spelling earlier than CM and teach solid phonics for reading. And I emphasize a few really great works of literature each year rather that cramming in lots of "official" literature, along with putting latin to the top of our priority list. So, I guess I am...me.;)

Actually, that sounds a lot like me too.:001_smile: I add a lot more Ancient classic books per LCC to our studies, and I use WTM and CW along with narrations, copybooks and dictation for English. We use studied dictation instead of spelling. I add grammar as soon as there is a need for it. My younger dd was beginning to encounter grammar as we progressed in French and Latin, along with the fact that she could write well and with great length in English, so these two factors brought a need for grammar.

Edited by Kfamily

I've been trying to be a CM homeschooler for years. I have anxiety that I don't do it very well, but we keep plugging away. :D When we first started homeschooling, we found MFW K and LOVED it. We did not love MFW 1 as much. We've tried LBC and didn't love that as much as I'd hoped. This year, we finally took the plunge into AO and it's been our best year yet. I wish I had not been such a coward and had taken the plunge earlier. I was so sure that I needed everything in one nice tidy box that I didn't listen to what I knew we should be doing.

I am blessed to live near Gardner-Webb University, where they have a wonderful CM conference every summer. I have been able to go for the past 3 years, I think, and it's been amazing.

Things we do that are CM-

Nature studies (We are at the Grand Canyon right now, talk about great nature studies.)

Copywork through 3rd grade then Copywork/Dictation in 3rd or 4th on (no spelling program)

Living books for History, Science (as much as possible), & Literature.

Narration with all of these. Oral Narr. till 3rd grade. Written Narr. Starting in 4th.

Artist studies (Love the portfolios from SCM.)

Composer studies (I just have them listen while they do other things. It is very informal.)

Short lessons

Memory work of Scripture, poetry, and Spanish vocab.

Latin beginning in 4th.

So yeah I think I am very CM :).

Things we do that are CM-

Nature studies (We are at the Grand Canyon right now, talk about great nature studies.)

Copywork through 3rd grade then Copywork/Dictation in 3rd or 4th on (no spelling program)

Living books for History, Science (as much as possible), & Literature.

Narration with all of these. Oral Narr. till 3rd grade. Written Narr. Starting in 4th.

Artist studies (Love the portfolios from SCM.)

Composer studies (I just have them listen while they do other things. It is very informal.)

Short lessons

Memory work of Scripture, poetry, and Spanish vocab.

Latin beginning in 4th.

So yeah I think I am very CM :).

How have you found no formal spelling goes? We've been doing a light spelling program, but I'm not sure how committed we are to that. We used a phonics up until dd1 was reading and review as required, and i plan to do some formal grammar at grade 4 or so, but I'm not sure about spelling.

Lots of topics, short duration of lessons, yeah, we do that too. I was reading "Laying Down the Rails" but it got lost... the first habit I was working on was organization for ME.

:lol: :lol:

This sounds so much like me! I just decided I need to write out a couple of monthly goals and the first one is going to be to use my new home journal/organizer. Hah.

How have you found no formal spelling goes? We've been doing a light spelling program, but I'm not sure how committed we are to that. We used a phonics up until dd1 was reading and review as required, and i plan to do some formal grammar at grade 4 or so, but I'm not sure about spelling.

I know you weren't talking to me, but we use dictation for spelling also, and it's worked wonderfully for us. Last spring, I was considering switching to Spelling Power and I borrowed a friend's and gave dd the placement test. She tested at about a 9th grade level (she was in 4th), so I decided that studied dictation must be working, so why switch? It was getting a little time-consuming for me though to find appropriate passages - is this too long? too short? am I covering spelling concepts and sentence structures thoroughly? - so I decided to try Spelling Wisdom this year, and it's going great so far, as well. It's the same method we've used all along, but all the work is done for me. (It's from Simply Charlotte Mason.)

:)

I'm feeling a little lonely these days...:lol::001_smile:!! (Just teasing!)

Are there any CM followers left out there?

This post and the replies make my heart glad. Our home school was more CM during elementary and middle school years than high school, but I have a great affection for Miss Mason's work and for all the different people who have re-introduced her to home school families.

Martha

(I used to hang out here pre-high school, and only popped over to comment on writing curricula.)