Menu

When do you let your dc sit in the front seat?

Just curious..when do you let your dc sit in the front seat? I do not have a turn off button for my air bag and even if I did I don't think I would let my dc sit up there until the recommended age..13.

Ds is counting down the days until he is 13..March 2009!:001_smile:

We do not have a switch either. When we go on long car trips, it works better for me to sit in the back with the girls and have Forest sit up front with Dad.

I HAVE let Daisy sit up front when we are around town, 10 minutes away from home, and have all boys in the backseat! :)

...my 9 ds can now....but ONLY because he weighs enough to ENGAGE the air bag in DH 2006 truck...it has a sensor for size & weight.

I guess so as not to alarm anyone, I should tell you that ds is 5' 2" (and growing - he's grown 1/2" in the past 2 WEEKS:001_huh:) and he weighs 110. He'll be 10 in August. Since he turns the airbag on and meets the height/weight requirements for the new truck, he's allowed...but ONLY in the new truck;).

My eldest is 12 and I let her sit up front sometimes. I have her scoot the passenger seat all the way back. She's only a couple of inches shorter than I am. Heck, I bet your 12 year old son is taller than I am. I like that a couple of laws put the recommended height at 65 inches. I'm only 61 inches tall. Although my vehicle does have an occupancy sensor that is supposed to keep the airbag from deploying if there's nobody in the passenger seat or their weight is too low. Also, my eldest gets veeeeeeeeeeery, veeeeeeeeeeery carsick.

I used to think 12 as that was the recommendation on the car/truck. Then I read about studies that show there is a higher than expected death rate in 12 and 13 year olds in front car seats. The people doing the studies concluded that it was because until you are about fourteen, you bone structure isn't strong enough to withstand the power of the airbag. They used to think it had to do with size but they found out it didn't. It had to do when bones thickened up to a certain point which is basically age 14. So my youngest still has 3 1/2 years to wait.

When they turn 18. I will also not make them sit in car seats then... or wear diapers and onesies or take pacifiers or suck their thumbs or sleep with their baby blankies. 18 will be a big year for our kids.

Just kidding. :D Don't ask me why I decided to answer this in a goofysnark way. :tongue_smilie: (If you ask me why, you'll get a vague answer like, "Because I'm weird like that.")

I will let them sit in the front seat when they are 12 or 13 or whatever the law says or whatever the warning on the visor says! :tongue_smilie:

My kids have to be taller than 5'1" and weigh more than 105 lbs before I let them ride in the front seat. I make them put the seat all the way back, as far from the airbag as it will go, with the seat back up straight, and their feet on the floorboard. Two of the boys were 13 before they met my height and weight requirements (and they were the shortest 13 year olds we knew); the other one was allowed to ride in the front seat for the first time last week. DD has ridden in the front seat since she turned 12 -- she is my height (5'4") and weighs over 120 lbs.

I think the age rules/laws are arbitrary. The important factors, IMO, are how tall a person is and how much they weigh. Studies (I don't recall which ones) showed that women who were less than 5'1" tall and who weighed less than 101 lbs. were more apt to be seriously injured in a car crash due to airbag deployment than were taller, heavier adults.

The height/weight factors concern me the most. I have one son who was still in a booster seat at age 11, because he weighed less than 80 lbs.

RC

Definitely will not be until 13 years old. But I dont have to worry about that for a while since my oldest is only 4. However, I just purchased a new car seat for her about 6 months ago. It holds up to like 85 pounds in the 5 point harness. So she will be harnessed for as long as possible....I dont care if she's 10 years old and still in there LOL! Whatever is safest.

I let my daughter sit there at 9 - she was 5'3" and over 110. She 10 now. Dh is the car business and says with the information for our vehicle airbags she is fine.

Not all airbags are the same, so it would be important to know your vehicle.

I used to think 12 as that was the recommendation on the car/truck. Then I read about studies that show there is a higher than expected death rate in 12 and 13 year olds in front car seats. The people doing the studies concluded that it was because until you are about fourteen, you bone structure isn't strong enough to withstand the power of the airbag. They used to think it had to do with size but they found out it didn't. It had to do when bones thickened up to a certain point which is basically age 14. So my youngest still has 3 1/2 years to wait.

I've read the same thing and I think my pediatrician has brought this up too. So we'll wait until dd is about 14 (she's 11 1/2 now but quite tall). We were in a bad wreck this August when a car broadsided us after running a red light (at about 60 miles an hour). Interestingly, the car hit us smack dab in the front passenger area. It was a knock-over-the-head reminder that I don't want to mess with the portion of car safety I am in control of.

When they have their driver's permit! ;) Seriously, my dc are skinny. My dd is 17 and still hasn't made it to 100 lbs., but I started letting her sit up there once she had her permit. I figured it would make it easier for her to learn to drive.:) I really wish I could turn off the airbags in my van.

I'm more concerned about height and weight than about age, although it sticks in my mind that our state does not allow children under 12 to be in the front seat. (I may be wrong; any Bay Staters know for sure?) My dw is under 5' and I worry about her being in the passenger seat!

(Note to self: have dealer disegage air bag at next service appointment.)

I read this, too - and my kids do not sit in front until they are 14 AND taller than me. I am 5'2" and sitting in front makes ME nervous about the airbag - I have the seat as far back as I can get it and still work the pedals with the ball of my foot.

Guest Virginia Dawn
I read this, too - and my kids do not sit in front until they are 14 AND taller than me. I am 5'2" and sitting in front makes ME nervous about the airbag - I have the seat as far back as I can get it and still work the pedals with the ball of my foot.

Me too. I'm almost more afraid of what the airbag will do to me than getting in a wreck. A young girl around here got her jaw broken and her face lacerated when one deployed.

Same here, I'm 5'3" and 50kgs, when DS is taller and heavier than me he can sit in the front, until then he is in the back regardless of age. I think we are about a year off that.

Sounds like I need to do some more research. I was going to allow my 12 yo to sit up front next January on a trip to FL. He wouldn't get as car sick and then I could sit in back with the kids and help keep them occupied. But, my 12 yo is VERY light. He's 5'1", but only weighs about 70 pounds. Now, I don't know!!

When he got his permit. I figured he had to be up front to learn how to drive.

I remember tons of fights with my sis (twin) over who got the front seat. Honestly, I can't believe my mom put up with it. So, we didn't go there. All kids in the back.

The safety issue is a whole nother can of worms. DS was 5'8" when he got his permit. Dd(14) isn't likely to be as tall. I remember grandma using a cushion when driving. Is there anything more teen-acceptable to use to raise their sitting height?

Sounds like I need to do some more research. I was going to allow my 12 yo to sit up front next January on a trip to FL. He wouldn't get as car sick and then I could sit in back with the kids and help keep them occupied. But, my 12 yo is VERY light. He's 5'1", but only weighs about 70 pounds. Now, I don't know!!

I wouldn't let him up front - an airbag doesn't care how old you are - it is the height/weight that can determine if an airbag itself injuries a person worse than they would have been if just wearing a seat belt. Airbags were designed to protect the 6' guy who refuses to wear his seatbelt - so they are aimed at HIS chest....our faces!!!!

Your kid is safer in teh back with his seatbelt on.

I go by the heigth. My oldest son started when he was 11 because he was just as tall as me and weighed more than I did. I do not look only at the age but also the heigth. If I am able to sit up there and drive then he should be able to sit there if he weighed more than me and was taller or at the same heigth.

My airbag on my steering wheel doesn't work. We get our oil change where we bought our van. I asked him about replacing it. He said why do you want to replace it. I said well the airbag is supposed to protect me. He said actually it will do me more harm than good because of my heigth. He said it will hit my face instead of chest. He recommended not to replace it for my safety. Wow! He said alot of women my height will go to him to get the airbag disabled. Sometimes he can do it but most of the time he can't. They just have to wait until it won't work. So I understand those of you that are not comfortable in being up in the front. I push my seat back as far as I could .

Holly

My oldest dd is almost 16. She is only 5 feet tall and 86 pounds. I would prefer for her to sit in the backseat but I guess that won't work because she is starting driver's ed next week:). I let her start sitting in the front seat at 14. On the other hand, her younger sister (currently 13) but 5 feet 4 inches and about 10 pounds heavier. I started letting her sit in the front seat at 12. I will have to wait to see about my ds. He is currently 10. I definitely won't let him until he is 12 unless he goes through a huge growth spurt.

I'm not sure what the laws are from state to state but I think there are probably some height and weight guidelines.

Yes, I thought about you when I wrote that.

My stepmother is 4'10" tall and weighs about 80 lbs. She drives a small Toyota. I advised her to get a larger, heavier vehicle which would offer her more protection in a wreck, but she doesn't want to do that.

OTOH, she's is 59 years old and has never been in a car wreck. I haven't been in one for 30 years, and even that was just a fender-bender.

Safe, defensive, courteous driving and wearing a seat belt are the most important factors, I think. After that, driving a heavier, larger vehicle helps, as does not driving when tired, when under the influence of drugs or alcohol, and not driving at peak hours for drunks (after 10 pm, especially on weekends).

Also, I noticed that a lot of wrecks and near wrecks around here occur when someone runs a red (pink) light. I went over to the police station and asked them what a driver is supposed to do when a light turns yellow. Sure enough, yellow means stop if you can, presuming you are going the speed limit. It does not mean that the driver is supposed to speed up and try to make it through the light. I thought that, but since so many drivers ignore it, I'm mentioning it here as a PSA. I asked the police so I'd have their response to back up mine, should the issue come up.

If I were petite, I'd look into whether airbags were contraindicated in my situation.

RC

I wouldn't have been able to learn to drive!! :auto:

Then you'll just have to drive from the backseat, LOL.... No, I'm sure you know that newer cars with passenger side airbags can be dangerous for even petite adults. Since I don't want to turn off the airbags and feel that they're safer in back, anyway, I make this rule in order to insure that they are teens before they can sit in front.

When they turn 18. I will also not make them sit in car seats then... or wear diapers and onesies or take pacifiers or suck their thumbs or sleep with their baby blankies. 18 will be a big year for our kids.
Mine too. My youngest might even be weaned by then. :lol: Or not...

I haven't thought much about it. I've heard 12 bantered about as a legal or rule of thumb cut-off, but since I don't have to worry about this for a few years, I'm not. However, I don't let my husband's 12 yo cousin ride in the front seat.

I have no idea when I will allow it. My 9.5 yr old son is only 56ish lbs so not even close enough to being allowed, my 8.5 yr old dd is only 49lbs so again not even close. I don't think it has as much to do with age as it does their body size. I have gotten after poppa because whent hey babysit the 3 older ones, he lets Austin ride up front, his reasoning is Austin does not weigh enough to engage the sensor for the airbag so it will not deploy. I still don't want him in the front seat until he is bigger regardless.