Menu

How do I get kids to be quiet during coop?

Is politely asking them to be quiet acceptable? Or should I just let them talk the entire time and not say anything? Can I say "be quiet"? Or should I say "please be quiet my precious angel students"? Is it okay to ask them to raise their hands before speaking? Or is that offensive to homeschoolers who shouldn't have to abide by the social indoctrination of a classroom setting?

Just don't use the f-word, tell them to shut their traps, or in any way seem disrespectful to their behavior or the wrath of homeschool mothers will be upon you. (This will make sense if you've been reading the recent co-op threads)

:lol::lol:

What is supposed to be happening at the time? Lecture? Quiet work time? Discussion?

And what are the ages? I would expect much more from middle schoolers, for example, than elementary students. I would structure the courses differently. Elementary age students can be absorbed in hands on work and not respond as well to lecture type classes, whereas middle schoolers shouldn't need the whole class period devoted to cutting, pasting, and building.

I would also suggest a code of conduct that all parents must sign so there are no surprises down the road. The organizations I've been involved in always had a code of conduct. We parents paid for those classes. I would be really upset if a teacher had to spend an entire class period trying to get kids to behave when I paid for a class that should be focused on [insert subject name].

I have never taught in co-op but with my school agers in daycare last year I would do a couple things, 1 would be to simply stop talking and stand there silently waiting for quiet. Usually 1-2 kids noticed right away and would hush their friends so we could continue. The other if I needed silence immediately to issue instructions or the such I would turn out the lights (enough natural light came in the room that it wasn't pitch black but it got their attention), or if we were on an outting and I didn't have access to the Lights I would raise my hand and in a firm loud (but not yelling voice) say all eyes on me, mouths are closed.

Usually doing those 3 things was all I needed to do. I did expect raised hands to speak if we were in a group situation of more than 3 kids. I used these things while out on fieldtrips, doing baking, science, art or any other project with the kids, explaining a change in plans, or the schedule for the day etc as well as in all my regular interactions with the kids.

If I had a child that would not stop interrupting or chattering when I needed to give instructions, I would simply stand right beside or behind them, and if needed lightly place my hand on their shoulder while continuing to address the rest of the group. It would keep them mindful of me speaking without drawing a crazy amount of attention to the child. On fieldtrips where I needed the kids to listen to another adult, perhaps a guide at the museum or something, I would first give a signal from across the room, catching their eye and putting a finger on my lips, if that didn't work I would do like above and sit ot stand right next to them.

On occasion I would have a kid or two acting like a goof when they needed to listen to me or another adult. I would jokingly say to the child, "it is time to zip it and listen" with my arm around the child's shoulders. Now you would have to know my relationship with the kids to know that it was said in a humorous way not angry or spiteful. It was a rare day for that, 99.99% of the time the rest of the above listed worked extremely well.

If it is during a time when they are supposed to be listening to you talk, I think it is completely acceptable to get their attention and tell them that it is very rude to talk when someone else is talking. "If we're going to work together in a co-op, we need to be respectful of each other." It is always good to learn to respect those around us!

I know when I'm doing Latin with my kids, I want everyone to have the chance to formulate an answer to my questions before someone blurts out an answer, so I ask them to think about their answer and then I call on someone to answer. If you don't want to put them on the spot, you could always ask who would like to answer the question and then choose someone who indicates (by raising a hand, probably). :D

I'd lay out the rules during the first class and in writing to the parents, and if the children were young, I would repeat them and maybe put them on the wall.

I'd stay pretty calm, but I would progress if necessary to a quiet, personal chat about whether someone really wanted to stay in the class or not. If the class were discussion-oriented, I would call on someone else, and pretty much proactively take over the conversation and grab everyone's attention. Also, I would make sure that the class was age-appropriate in expectations. A kid who stands on his head during circle time at 5 is not the same kind of issue as a smart aleck who has an 'funny' answer for everything at 13. By the same token, a droning lecture for 2 solid hours is unreasonable. They didn't even have those in college.

Is politely asking them to be quiet acceptable? Or should I just let them talk the entire time and not say anything? Can I say "be quiet"? Or should I say "please be quiet my precious angel students"? Is it okay to ask them to raise their hands before speaking? Or is that offensive to homeschoolers who shouldn't have to abide by the social indoctrination of a classroom setting?

How old are they? I would tell them, "You need to focus on me." If they persisted/continued/picked it up again, I would go over to them, and repeat myself, "Remember to keep your focus on me." If they were younger, my tone would be more kind. I just assume that it can be harder for the younger kids to pay attention, and if it happened again during that younger class, I would say something like, "Where is your focus supposed to be?"

I would not have much patience a third time with older students.

If the kids were older (middle school/high school), it would depend on the actual co-op situation. I would definitely consider parent intervention. My dd is in an outside class that is not a co-op. The parents are quite hands off. In that case, I think it would be entirely appropriate for the teacher to speak to the student privately after class, explaining the need for them to sit quietly in class and not disturb others.

Such is the inherent problem with co-ops and classrooms-different parents have different standards for how their children should behave.

Most co-op problems are solved by more blatant discussion of expectations before the parents sign their children up. It's best to write out and discuss with the interested parties what the expectations are about:

1) Class time. Are you on a strict starting and ending time or is this flexible? If you have participants that are chronically late or who over stay their welcome what will you do?

2) Participation. What is expected of anyone present during the class time? Do you expect them to be silent while whoever is leading it leads? What about class time that is not being led by anyone? Is whispering OK? Chatting? Do you expect everyone to contribute to all discussions? Is completing the out of class work and recommended reading mandatory? If the expectations (that were clearly written out and discussed before the co-op started) were not met, what will you do? Is only discussion about the subject being taught allowed during the class time?

3) Interaction. When the students and the person leading the co-op are interacting with each other are there certain standards that you have? Is there any type of language you would not allow? Is there any type of attitude you would not allow? What will you do if those expectations are not met?

4) Consequences. If the expectations are not met will there be verbal warnings? How many? Will there be a conversation with the parent? Will the child no longer be able to participate?

With all the activities my 3 kids have been in in 11+ years of homeschooling activities and activities in the private sector, I'll tell you, you must have clear (preferably written) expectations and a plan to deal with those who don't follow the rules.

I've seen a homeschool PE coach take a child who disregarded his warning by the hand, walk him to his mother and say in front of everyone, "He can come back next week and try again. Good bye."

I've seen a piano teacher tell a pain in the neck parent "You'll have to find another studio. This isn't working out." I've heard another music teacher tell me about establishing from the beginning that the child/parent are on a trial basis and she will at any time stop teaching any child for any reason.

My daughter's archery coaches have just cut the students the number of students they are wiling to teach to 14. Those whose kids and/or parents are disrespectful, annoying, or hard to get along with did not make the list of 14.

I haven't read all the replies, but will say, FWIW, that our co-op (organized under First Class Homeschool Ministries) has a very clear 'order of events' for unruly students. 1. Warning from teacher 2. Teacher asks hall monitor to find student's mother 3. Board meets with student and parent(s) to discuss whether student really wants to be at co-op. I don't think it's ever gotten to #3, but everybody knows what to expect from the system and teachers are empowered to maintain order if they want to.

If it is a lot of the class talking, I have a clap that I do. When they hear me clap they are to stop and repeat it after me. It gets the whole classes attention without losing my voice. I also have rules that we review before every class time. I use hand motions that go with the rules, so the kids enjoy doing them with me each week.

If it is just one or two students I simply say their name and give them a knowing look. Since they know the class rules, they Know what they are doing wrong.

:lol:

:thumbup:

My high school computer teacher had mastered the art of asking you quietly to stop talking a few times, then completely exploding in rage and anger SCREAMING at you to shut up. Some days he topped that with slamming a clip board onto your back - that never happened to me, thankfully.

I hope he eventually got some help for his anger management issues...but the classes I took from him were fantastic and I still use the information I learned. So overall I'm glad I had him even though he was a bit volatile ;).

I would start by putting up rules, just simple courtesy oriented ones, on a blackboard or poster paper.

I would draw attention to the list and say "Hey, guys, listen, here is the way we need the class to be. There will be a time to talk, but then there will be a time when you need to be listening so that we can get our work done."

Any time they start talking out of turn, I would point to the list or make a comment like, "Remember the list please and be respectful."

Yes, this is classroom management. However, you are talking about a classroom.

Dawn

An eraser, thrown overhand, always worked for my high school band director. Perhaps it would work for you until you master 'the look'.

We used to have a social studies teacher that threw red marking pens at us if we didn't have one to use. As he threw it he would say "don't throw pens you could put out an eye" and then throw one at the next kid. It has nothing to do with the OP but the flying eraser reminded me of that. He is now a principal of an elementary school.