Antibiotics for acne

Barb_

Antibiotics cleared up the acne  

1. 1. Antibiotics cleared up the acne

• ...in one run, never to return
    • ...in 2-3 months, but we won
    • ...we gave up on antibiotics
    • ...other (explain?)

If you (or anyone you know) has taken a run of antibiotics for stubborn acne, did it work? Permanently? My daughter has been battling acne since she contracted mono 3 years ago. The timing may be coincidence, but no one else in the family has ever had a problem with it and I've often wondered whether she picked up a stubborn infection when her immune system was struggling. She has an excellent diet, takes D and Omega 3 supplements, gets plenty of sleep, exercises...all those first line of defense things they advise you to do.

Anyway, feel free to answer with more detail but poll also to follow. Multiple options available in case you have more than one set of results to record.

I was on antibiotics for acne for about... 12 years.

The only permanent acne drug is Accutane and sometimes even that takes several rounds. It's also fairly risky.

I still have acne, though far less now since my derm put me on zinc. I have hormone imbalances.

AAAAck!! I didn't want to hear that. So is it clear as long as you're taking them? Then it comes back?

One of mine went on antibiotics for acne control. It worked...as long as she was on it. We finally tried Accutane. It worked too. After being off of it for about a year, the acne has returned. It isn't as bad as it was, but it is definitely back. Not going back to Accutane. More problems with it have been discovered since dd was on it. Just not worth the risk. I was borderline on allowing it in the first place.

Is she dairy free? Dairy free is a MUST for acne sufferers!

I wouldn't personally try an antibiotic as it would further compromise gut flora and potentially lead to more acne.

I would have her go dairy free, have her take probiotics, and give her activated charcoal several times to soak up toxins. Acne is caused from toxicity within the body. Usually liver or gastrointestinal toxicity. Google "liver toxicity + acne" and also "dairy + acne" and you'll get some information that further explains. My dd used to have cystic acne, but I cleared it up by treating her from the inside. She hasn't had cystic acne since.

Here is a link that explains how acne is not caused by bacteria, but by toxicity.. Acne Causes.

AAAAck!! I didn't want to hear that. So is it clear as long as you're taking them? Then it comes back?

Yeah, pretty much. Mine cleared away totally when I was 17 with the antibiotics. I thought I was over the teen stuff. But a while later it came back and has been here since. Antibiotics will lessen it for me, but not totally clear it up anymore.

But zinc has been great. I was skeptical, but it worked for me and it worked for my derm for his own acne as well. Also, once a week, I use a cotton ball of rubbing alcohol on my face. I don't do it every day or it will burn my very sensitive skin. It also helps a ton. Both together manage things pretty darn well. I just wish I knew that before I was 30.

Dh's derm has put him on a low-dose antibiotic from time to time to clear up acne issues. They do go away but for whatever reason, they'll crop up again from time to time and he has to do another round of low-dose antibiotic.

He's never tried Accutane & he's sleeping right now so I can't ask what prescription he used.

He doesn't like taking the it but it really does help his skin.

I wouldn't personally try an antibiotic as it would further compromise gut flora and potentially lead to more acne.

I would have her go dairy free, have her take probiotics, and give her activated charcoal several times to soak up toxins. Acne is caused from toxicity within the body. Usually liver or gastrointestinal toxicity. Google "liver toxicity + acne" and also "dairy + acne" and you'll get some information that further explains. My dd used to have cystic acne, but I cleared it up by treating her from the inside. She hasn't had cystic acne since.

Here is a link that explains how acne is not caused by bacteria, but by toxicity.. Acne Causes.

That's really interesting. Thanks for sharing.

I'm having trouble finding any published studies, and while I'm not averse to alternative treatments and nutritional cures, I like to see some scientific backup. Help?

Yeah, pretty much. Mine cleared away totally when I was 17 with the antibiotics. I thought I was over the teen stuff. But a while later it came back and has been here since. Antibiotics will lessen it for me, but not totally clear it up anymore.

But zinc has been great. I was skeptical, but it worked for me and it worked for my derm for his own acne as well. Also, once a week, I use a cotton ball of rubbing alcohol on my face. I don't do it every day or it will burn my very sensitive skin. It also helps a ton. Both together manage things pretty darn well. I just wish I knew that before I was 30.

Zinc I've read about. How much? Is it just over the counter?

I'm having trouble finding any published studies, and while I'm not averse to alternative treatments and nutritional cures, I like to see some scientific backup. Help?

Perhaps Peela will join in this discussion. She had some info on this on another thread but I cannot find it now. Perhaps you have more luck searching.

I was on antibiotics for acne for several years, and my acne came back when I quit taking them. Taking antibiotics for acne is one of my greatest regrets. I now have a lot of health problems with a likely contributor being that I took a lot of antibiotics over time. If I could only go back and have a redo, I would never take antibiotics for acne; I would change my diet instead.

Barb,

Often a low dose of minocycline helps acne (50 - 100 mg once or twice daily is the norm). It helps as long as the patient is taking the meds. We see rxs for this all the time in the pharmacy. In teens with severe acne, minocycline can work wonders; the teen takes it for a few years...often, after all those strange hormone changes settle down, the young adult can stop the meds and be just fine. We've had that situation here with one of our kids.

Accutane (isotretinoin) is a much stronger med. Because of the birth defects associated with the drug, women who take it are required to use two forms of birth control. Pregnancy tests are required. It's a very effective drug for certain types of acne, but it is a huge hassle to be on it.

Topical antibiotics completely cleared up my acne. I'm only sorry I didn't try it sooner. No natural/alternative/dietary route made a shred of difference. I am absolutely positive that the nature of my acne was bacterial.

I will add the caveat that my acne was not severe, just constant.

Ds had cystic acne on his shoulders/upper back. He took antibiotics, as well as using a topical gel (it had erithromycin and something else in it--and I know I didn't spell that right!). It helped clear the infection. It kept coming back, tho--it was really bad.

What really helped was plain ol' calamine lotion. We tried milk of magnesia, too--but the calamine seemed to dry it up, and it is much better.

My little sister used "proactiv" to clear up her acne before her wedding and boy did it work! She couldn't afford to keep using it much longer and it did return, but not as badly. It could be a result of growing out of it, but she also cut out dairy from her diet (due to gut and nasal symptoms) and her skin has been clear for a few years now.

My daughter went on antibiotics as well as a prescribed topical cream in August, and it has COMPLETELY eliminated her acne. She remains on a very low dose of the anitbiotic, as well as the topical cream. The topical cream is NOT the very strong one, but a more mild (yet still prescribed) one. I can't remember the name... It does tend to bleach things when it falls (bathroom rug, etc.).

This is such a timely post.

DH had an average amount of acne as a teenager.

Now at ~45, he has the most awful acne. He has been on antibiotics for three years now. It takes about 3-4 weeks for the antibiotics to get it under control. Then within days of going off a six-month cycle of meds, it will return something awful.

He has been on three different meds for the past month and it is just now starting to get back under control.

We would love to try something natural. I was reading up on dairy- and gluten-free diets helping, but DH won't give up his pizza - not even for a two week test. :glare:

I went to a dermatologist for about a year when I was 17. He tried pretty much everything except acutane. He actually wanted me to use acutane, but when I went for my blodd test the nurse blew two veins. I decide not to do it and I'm glad I did. Acutane is a very dangerous drug and I would not give it to my child or myself. My acne did improve but it never completely went away in fact I still get it on occasion and I'm 27.

Antibiotics just treat the infected pore, which is not necessarily the cause of acne. Even if it is caused by bacteria on the skin, they stop working as soon as you stop taking them. You must stay on them to continue to see a difference from them. They are not a cure, but a treatment.

When I was in my early 20s I took minocin for acne. It helped but didn't completely clear it, and the effect was only temporary.

Many years later I found the real cause in my case, PCOS.

Yep. Me, too. And I couldn't very well live on antibiotics for the rest of my life, so I'm so glad my derm recommended the zinc. I feel bad for being so skeptical about it. :tongue_smilie:

Yep. Me, too. And I couldn't very well live on antibiotics for the rest of my life, so I'm so glad my derm recommended the zinc. I feel bad for being so skeptical about it. :tongue_smilie:

Do you have any idea what the mechanism is? When I take zinc, it makes me hungry (hmmm... you don't suppose there's an insulin angle? I don't think I've heard that before with regard to zinc)

My sister took Accutane. She had serious side effects including personality problems. Within 30 days of going on the meds, she developed a HUGE anger management problem. She was 24 at the time and we couldn't convince her it was the drug so she kept taking it. The next month, depression. About that time she decided to quit the drug.

That's the only personal knowledge I have, but I do know that personality/emotional problems are one of the known side-effects.

Faith

I don't post here very often, but wanted to add my name to the list of those for whom dairy causes acne.

The difference for me is quite remarkable. The acne is pretty serious when I eat dairy products once or twice a week, but when I stay away from them, my skin is porcelain clear. When I was a teen, before I knew about the dairy connection, the acne was cystic.

It can take six weeks to see a real difference if you should try to test out a dairy sensitivity.

My 14ds uses a mild topical antibiotic prescription for non-cystic acne around his hairline, and it works great, but I don't think he has any food sensitivities.

wow. This is a lot of info. My son has an appointment tomorrow as well at the dermo. He had gone back in Dec and they recommended antibiotics, facial and then regular creams on his face following.

I never got the antibiotics and time just flew by. Now my son's face is covered as well as his back and shoulders. I dont remember the name but I thought it was only 10 days. So does this short term method not work?

Yesterday I saw a acne gel online from Nelsons that is primarily tea tree. It has amazing reviews and was going to try the natural methods first. Has anyone tried anything like that in addition to a short term antibiotic? I haven't suffered from acne in the past and didnt realize you had to remain on the antibiotics for longer then 10 days!

I am so surprised at the overuse of antibiotics for acne! Antibiotics kill good bacteria in your gut.. Long-term antibiotics is unfathomable to me. Be sure to take probiotics when you are done with your course of abx! This is crucial for immune system function and overall health.

I have rosacea and cystic acne. I was given a prescription for antibotics with the understanding it only works if you take it. While it was awesome to look better, I just wasn't comfortable to do it long term. I'm still trying to find a way to get rid of it without involving doctors. I also got some super expensive prescription cream to put my face that did nothing for me. I should try it again to confirm it really doesn't work. There's no point in wasting it.

I started getting acne when I was in middle school and was still getting it in college. I was put on low-dose Tetracycline my senior year of college because it was really bad. The derm told me to take it for 3 months and then come back. If it worked, he wanted me to continue taking it indefinitely. I had taken Tetracycline before for illnesses with no problems, but I ended up developing an allergy to it when I took it long-term. It's the only medicine allergy I have and I really attribute it to exposing my body to something for a long period that I shouldn't have.

I really wish I hadn't done it. It didn't cure it when I was on it, either.

DH took Accutane when he was a teenager for acne. It cleared it up completely for a couple of years. Then it came back and he took another course of Accutane and it went away forever. I can't say I'd recommend that either though with what we now know about Accutane.

If you are open to alternatives, have you tried doing a lower carb way of eating with her? Something like paleo or primal or just general LC?

http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/acne/news/20110808/low-carb-diets-may-improve-acne

http://av.medpagetoday.com/MeetingCoverage/AAD/13261

Excess insulin can lead to a hormonal cascade that can trigger acne in some people.

I would try something like that before long-term antibiotic use.

I'm going to respond to posts backward; apologizing in advance for the confusion.

If you are open to alternatives, have you tried doing a lower carb way of eating with her? Something like paleo or primal or just general LC?

http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/acne/news/20110808/low-carb-diets-may-improve-acne

http://av.medpagetoday.com/MeetingCoverage/AAD/13261

Excess insulin can lead to a hormonal cascade that can trigger acne in some people.

I would try something like that before long-term antibiotic use.

I probably wouldn't suggest she radically change her diet. She already follows an excellent diet heavy in fresh foods, whole grains, fish, lean meat and dairy, with very little in the way of processed food or refined carbs. She is petite, only 5-1 and weighs about 100 pounds, most of which is muscle. She's an ex-gymnast and dances. I worry more about he ability to properly fuel herself without the full complement of protein, vitamins, minerals and fiber, KWIM?

Reading the articles, I'm struck by the fact that everyone began the study overweight. I don't think the researchers controlled for weight loss because I think the decrease in acne was a surprise result. Hyperinsulinemia is most common in people carrying extra weight. Now, the dairy angle I'm willing to look at a little more closely. A short term dairy-free experiment seems like it couldn't do any harm, although it seems like dairy is also being blamed for insulin spikes instead of general sensitivities. Still, why not?