Antibiotics for acne

Barb_

Antibiotics cleared up the acne  

1. 1. Antibiotics cleared up the acne

• ...in one run, never to return
    • ...in 2-3 months, but we won
    • ...we gave up on antibiotics
    • ...other (explain?)

I'm going to respond to posts backward; apologizing in advance for the confusion.

I probably wouldn't suggest she radically change her diet. She already follows an excellent diet heavy in fresh foods, whole grains, fish, lean meat and dairy, with very little in the way of processed food or refined carbs. She is petite, only 5-1 and weighs about 100 pounds, most of which is muscle. She's an ex-gymnast and dances. I worry more about he ability to properly fuel herself without the full complement of protein, vitamins, minerals and fiber, KWIM?

Reading the articles, I'm struck by the fact that everyone began the study overweight. I don't think the researchers controlled for weight loss because I think the decrease in acne was a surprise result. Hyperinsulinemia is most common in people carrying extra weight. Now, the dairy angle I'm willing to look at a little more closely. A short term dairy-free experiment seems like it couldn't do any harm, although it seems like dairy is also being blamed for insulin spikes instead of general sensitivities. Still, why not?

Well, I am/was a thin to normal weight woman diagnosed w/ PCOS and hyperinsulemia. I had trouble getting diagnosed because I was not overweight (I was 5'3" and about 114 lbs at the time of my diagnosis, at 24 years old). I was eventually diagnosed by an RE. My ob/gyn missed my diagnosis because he expected all women w/ pcos would be overweight. In high school I ranged from 92 lbs (freshman year) to 100-105 by my sr. year.

She may not be hyperinsulemic, but it might be worth considering.

The people I know that have used antibiotics to treat their acne have experienced improvement so long as they continued on the antibiotics, but the acne returned when they went off of the antibiotics.

Adults or teens? It seems from this thread that teens are having better luck with antibiotics.

Well, I am/was a thin to normal weight woman diagnosed w/ PCOS and hyperinsulemia. I had trouble getting diagnosed because I was not overweight (I was 5'3" and about 114 lbs at the time of my diagnosis, at 24 years old). I was eventually diagnosed by an RE. My ob/gyn missed my diagnosis because he expected all women w/ pcos would be overweight. In high school I ranged from 92 lbs (freshman year) to 100-105 by my sr. year.

Very interesting. I ran across PCOS when I was researching last night but I was getting tired and didn't go very far with it. I will dig deeper. Thanks!

I did a run of them (probably 2-3 months) and it really did help. It was what the doc put me on because I refused Accutane. I had horrible acne on my face, to the point that my cheeks were just a mass of red scars and ance. I'm not cured by any means, but I no longer have the embarrassing amounts of it. This was about 15 years ago, btw.

I'm not sure that I would do it again though. I'm a little more wary of antibiotic use, and I think I would try improving my diet first.

My sister took Accutane. She had serious side effects including personality problems. Within 30 days of going on the meds, she developed a HUGE anger management problem. She was 24 at the time and we couldn't convince her it was the drug so she kept taking it. The next month, depression. About that time she decided to quit the drug.

My 18 yr old ds took Accutane when he was 14 and about 1.5 yrs later was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis. I also know of another local boy who took it and now has Crohn's disease(he's 22). I would never let another one of my kids take Accutane-acne is nothing compared to these two diseases.

DH took Accutane when he was a teenager for acne. It cleared it up completely for a couple of years. Then it came back and he took another course of Accutane and it went away forever. I can't say I'd recommend that either though with what we now know about Accutane.

I tried antibiotics and got nada. Took Accutane and get occasional break out but nothing like what I had.

In spite of the few positive comments, I think the rest of you have convinced me Accutane is not a direction we will ever want to go in.

My 18 yr old ds took Accutane when he was 14 and about 1.5 yrs later was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis. I also know of another local boy who took it and now has Crohn's disease(he's 22). I would never let another one of my kids take Accutane-acne is nothing compared to these two diseases.

I have a GF who had her son take accutane for his face, he started with deep anger problems, depression, and has ulcerative colitis, too. She *refuses* to believe that it was the accutane. :confused:

Their lives are HELL. But his face looks great. There are class action lawsuits against the maker.

I have a GF who had her son take accutane for his face, he started with deep anger problems, depression, and has ulcerative colitis, too. She *refuses* to believe that it was the accutane. :confused:

Their lives are HELL. But his face looks great. There are class action lawsuits against the maker.

Yes, ours is h*ll too. We are on our last treatment option and pray it works(to control the bleeding). Only other option is having his colon removed. His life will never be "normal". Also, we did see some anger issues while he was on it but they went away when he came off the medicine.

Edited by ugamom11

Okay, I'm back. What made your RE (meaning?) suspect PCOS? Did you have symptoms? Did you ever try hormonal birth control pills to control acne? That is actually something I'm willing to try if the antibiotics don't do anything for her long-term.

Yes, ours is h*ll too. We are on our last treatment option and pray it works(to control the bleeding). Only other option is having his colon removed. His life will never be "normal". ?Also, we did see some anger issues while he was on it but they went away when he came off the medicine.

That's horrible.

I take 50 mg once a day, over the counter.

Are there any side effects that you've noticed? She is already taking 25mg 3x a week as a boost to her immune system against colds and flu as the school year starts. She babysits a LOT and always seems to catch whatever her charges bring home.

Okay, I'm back. What made your RE (meaning?) suspect PCOS? Did you have symptoms? Did you ever try hormonal birth control pills to control acne? That is actually something I'm willing to try if the antibiotics don't do anything for her long-term.

There isn't universal agreement on symptoms, but the primary ones seem to be irregular cycles and elevated testosterone (the testosterone part is thought to be involved with the acne). My ob/gyn did bloodwork that included LH-to-FSH ratio. There are other conditions that get ruled out along with testing for PCOS (thyroid, etc.).

Another clue for me was family history, not of PCOS but of type 2 diabetes (my dad was a thin type 2 diabetic). One of my brothers had a great deal of trouble with acne earlier in life, and now in middle age is taking metformin (as I have, on and off, though not right now).

I had good luck with oral contraceptives - they helped me quite a bit. Specifically, I was on Demulen for a few years, and that's the only type that worked well for me (NOT the extra-low dose kind, but the regular - can't remember what it was called). LOL I wish I could take them now, but later we discovered I have a genetic clotting issue, so they're contraindicated for me. I also lost weight on Demulen - odd, but my RE (reproductive endocrinologist) later said that the interaction between insulin and other hormones was a two-way street.

Edited by wapiti

I was treated for acne in college. It was on my face, back and chest--cystic acne. I had a little in high school, but it got so much worse when I was about 20. We tried various prescription creams. Then I took oral antibiotics until I developed an allergy. (Coupled with my penicillin allergy, this now creates a big problem for me when I need antibiotics. Thankfully that is rare.) Finally we tried acutane. It was rough when I was on it, but it didn't just stop the acne. It was like I got new beautiful skin. So I would say I'm really pleased with the outcome, although looking at the dangers and warnings now, it's a little scary thinking about what could have happened. I always wonder if there are long term effects that I don't realize...

My own kids are starting to see some breakouts and I'm looking at natural treatment options for them. Acutane and oral antibiotics are off the table for us.

Barb,

Often a low dose of minocycline helps acne (50 - 100 mg once or twice daily is the norm). It helps as long as the patient is taking the meds. We see rxs for this all the time in the pharmacy. In teens with severe acne, minocycline can work wonders; the teen takes it for a few years...often, after all those strange hormone changes settle down, the young adult can stop the meds and be just fine. We've had that situation here with one of our kids.

Jen's on Doxycycline and doesn't seem to have any side effects. No nausea or yeast or anything. She eats 1/2-1 cup of greek yogurt every morning as insurance. The dermatologist didn't really warn us that this was likely a chronic condition :glare:

No. None at all. :001_smile:

Okay, I just read on PubMed and WebMD, up to 40mg is safe for adults to take daily. More than that, and there should be a physician involved because of possible toxicity. It did say up to 65mg for the therapeutic effect. Just thought I'd throw that out there. I think maybe I'll bump her up to 25mg every day for a while before we cut out the dairy. Intuitively, I just don't think there is anything wrong with her diet.

Thanks everyone! Much food for thought. When she is done with the oral antibiotics, I think I will request the topical and try that by itself for a bit. Also, a salt water rinse every so often could be helpful. Maybe an alcohol-containing toner (but not straight...she is prone to patches of dry skin here in the desert). Bump up the zinc to 25-30mg a day. Possibly a dairy free month or two to see how that goes. Probably a gyn appt to rule out PCOS if nothing else works. As a last resort, I'd probably try hormonal birth control pills before long-term antibiotics (anyone have any luck with that?). I'm not totally comfortable with them if this is going to be management issue.

Did I miss anything?

Thanks everyone! Much food for thought. When she is done with the oral antibiotics, I think I will request the topical and try that by itself for a bit. Also, a salt water rinse every so often could be helpful. Maybe an alcohol-containing toner (but not straight...she is prone to patches of dry skin here in the desert). Bump up the zinc to 25-30mg a day. Possibly a dairy free month or two to see how that goes. Probably a gyn appt to rule out PCOS if nothing else works. As a last resort, I'd probably try hormonal birth control pills before long-term antibiotics (anyone have any luck with that?). I'm not totally comfortable with them if this is going to be management issue.

Did I miss anything?

Careful with the topical stuff if she has dry skin. They are usually made as alcohol based liquid or gel. I've tried just about every single one and they all burn my face. For several years I had red spots on my face when ever I would get hot in the exact pattern that I used to put the topical treatments. They really, really burn and can cause damage in the rare people with both dry skin and acne.

Careful with the topical stuff if she has dry skin. They are usually made as alcohol based liquid or gel. I've tried just about every single one and they all burn my face. For several years I had red spots on my face when ever I would get hot in the exact pattern that I used to put the topical treatments. They really, really burn and can cause damage in the rare people with both dry skin and acne.

Thanks, yeah, she did notice that. She's been skipping a day or two when it seems sensitive. Have you ever had problems with eczema?

Dd14 was *trying* to take an antibiotic for hers (mainly on her back and shoulders right now, a bit on her face…her face WAS bad last year, but that changed) but she can't swallow pills… she managed to get a couple down and that was it.. she used a topical antibiotic cream and that helped a little bit.

i'm gonna ask the doc if there's a LIQUID antibiotic she can have…

clearasil stuff.. she uses it, but it doesn't seem to do much.

Sometimes what looks like acne can actually be a staph infection-- your DD may be colonized with staph, and it might have happened when she got ill. If she is colonized, the infection/ acne may very well recur after she finishes the round of AB. It might make more sense to pay attention to basic hygiene, make sure clothes/ linens/ towels are washed with bleach where possible, have her take a shower head to toe with Dial or other tricolsan (antibacterial) soap. She can also take bleach baths 3X a week-- 1/4 cup bleach in a tub of warm water, soak for 15 minutes then rinse. Desitin (zinc oxide) diaper rash cream can be applied to the affected areas, but she would have to do it at night if it is on her face since it is bright white and doesn't "soak in."

My kids all have eczema to some degree and are very vulnerable to staph infections-- we've even had two hospitalized with them. I've found that oral AB don't seem to do a whole lot to help skin boils and pimples-- that hygiene/ diligent washing/ showering is the best approach. You could always try a course of oral AB to see if it helps, and perhaps have her swabbed to see if she is colonized with staph.

I know there is controversy about using AB soaps but we have been so desperate here to stop the infections that we use them, and they do seem to work. Staph colonizes in the nostrils and private parts so she should be especially careful to avoid touching her nose and washing her hands after she uses the bathroom.

hth!

Dd14 was *trying* to take an antibiotic for hers (mainly on her back and shoulders right now, a bit on her face…her face WAS bad last year, but that changed) but she can't swallow pills… she managed to get a couple down and that was it.. she used a topical antibiotic cream and that helped a little bit.

i'm gonna ask the doc if there's a LIQUID antibiotic she can have…

clearasil stuff.. she uses it, but it doesn't seem to do much.

My son is on a liquid because it would just be too difficult to swallow a pill everyday.

Barb,

Often a low dose of minocycline helps acne (50 - 100 mg once or twice daily is the norm). It helps as long as the patient is taking the meds. We see rxs for this all the time in the pharmacy. In teens with severe acne, minocycline can work wonders; the teen takes it for a few years...often, after all those strange hormone changes settle down, the young adult can stop the meds and be just fine. We've had that situation here with one of our kids.

Accutane (isotretinoin) is a much stronger med. Because of the birth defects associated with the drug, women who take it are required to use two forms of birth control. Pregnancy tests are required. It's a very effective drug for certain types of acne, but it is a huge hassle to be on it.

I took three courses of Accutane from my late teens into my early twenties. In my late 20's I was diagnosed with a form of ulcerative colitis, now linked to Accutane. Don't take it!

Have you tried the typical natural topical stuff - coconut oil, raw honey, Nelson's Acne Gel, tree tea oil, apple cider vinegar? I'd try the natural, nutritional way (maybe dairy-free) before drugs.

No experience with bad acne - my 2 teens do well with fish oil and beta-carotene (carrots, sweet potato, papaya, cantaloupe) daily - no medication.

I took antibiotics for acne as a teen. I don't remember how long, but they did eventually work. I did continue to have mild acne but nothing like the pizza face I had for a while... At 50+, I still get the occassional blemish.

My son, however, was not successful with antibiotics, topical or ingested. (He was very lax about facial care.) Out of desperation, we did Accutane. He took a long course and was monitored carefully because of cholesterol issues. It di work for him.

I think if you have a teen who is willing to comply with a regime then I'd do that before drugs.

I'm having trouble finding any published studies, and while I'm not averse to alternative treatments and nutritional cures, I like to see some scientific backup. Help?

The Anti Cancer book cites a few studies showing the correlation between milk and acne. I love that book. You can also do a search online.

Milk is probably the #1 acne culprit when it comes to dietary causes. I wish I'd known that in my teens and twenties. I used to drink it like it was going out of style, thinking I was doing myself a favor.

UPDATE

Well, she stopped the oral antibiotics after a month. I had her keep a food diary and while her diet looked good overall (little to no processed foods, high quality proteins, whole grains, etc), I did notice that when she was particularly hungry or in a hurry she grabbed carbs and sugar. Rice crackers, udon soup, a bowl of cheerios, a carton of chocolate milk with pretzels and an orange...that sort of thing. So she has been making an effort to consciously choose proteins, good fats, and vegetables when possible. Like instead of sitting down with a handful or two of nut and rice crackers, she is trying to remember to grab just 5-6 and add some cheese and a handful of carrots.

In addition to the fish oil she was already taking, I started giving her 25mg of zinc a day (she's petite) and 5000iu of D. She is continuing with the topical antibiotics and the retinoid cream. So far, these things seem to be working very well! Thanks for all the advice :)

I just got back from my sons appt. and the dr. prescribed Minocycline. He said it was only for one month...but he said he wouldnt prescribe the antibiotics regular. I was concerned after reading the long term use that other dr.s prescribe. He says it just kills the bacteria under the skin enough for the topical creams and cleaners to work. I hope it works.

Has she tried a 2% beta hydroxy solution? Paula Choice at cosmeticcop.com sells a good one for a reasonable price. She has a books that deals soley with skin issues and I find her advice very useful. BCP are also an excellent option for dealing with acne in female teens if you don't have any other objections. My dd takes Yaz and she hasn't had any problems with her skin since then.

Has she tried a 2% beta hydroxy solution? Paula Choice at cosmeticcop.com sells a good one for a reasonable price. She has a books that deals soley with skin issues and I find her advice very useful. BCP are also an excellent option for dealing with acne in female teens if you don't have any other objections. My dd takes Yaz and she hasn't had any problems with her skin since then.

We were actually planning to discuss that on her next appt. Her breakouts seem to be tied to her cycle. I'm glad it's working for you guys. Thanks for letting me know.

It may be allergies to certain additives, dyes, oils, etc. used in foods. I am allergic to many, many additives and they break me out.

I used Accutane in past, and it did work for a while, but then my problems returned. I've also used other things (one that turned my scar tissue blue), but nothing has ever really worked. The one thing that worked best for me was doing elimination dieting and bringing foods back one at a time in order to try to identify what ingredient(s) in them were causing my problems....

Is she dairy free? Dairy free is a MUST for acne sufferers!

I wouldn't personally try an antibiotic as it would further compromise gut flora and potentially lead to more acne.

I would have her go dairy free, have her take probiotics, and give her activated charcoal several times to soak up toxins. Acne is caused from toxicity within the body. Usually liver or gastrointestinal toxicity. Google "liver toxicity + acne" and also "dairy + acne" and you'll get some information that further explains. My dd used to have cystic acne, but I cleared it up by treating her from the inside. She hasn't had cystic acne since.

Here is a link that explains how acne is not caused by bacteria, but by toxicity.. Acne Causes.

:iagree:

You may also want to check into allergy testing so that you will know exactly what's bothering her.

I haven't read the other replies, so this may be an echo, but I want to share what a friend of my husband's shared with us. I'll call this friend Mack. Mack said that as a teen he had horrible pitting acne that severely disfigured his face and greatly affected his self-esteem. When Mack was 18 he sang with his church choir and on one night his choir (on choir tour) sang at an out of state church. Mack said that when the concert was over a man approached him and asked if he could speak to him privately. He introduced himself as Dr._____, a local dermatologist from the local university hospital system. This doctor gently/kindly said that he hoped his interference didn't offend him but that he knew of a treatment for his acne that would likely yield tremendous results. He told him to go the store and buy a zinc supplement and to take one 25 mg tablet twice daily (12 hours apart) for the first 5 days, then to continue with 25 mg daily for 3 or 4 months then to take only a multivitamin with zinc (he stressed to him that he shouldn't continue taking the 25+ mg of zinc daily after the first few months for some reason I can't recall. Anyhow, Mack thanked him knowing of his kind intensions and went back home and did as he said. Mack testified that within a month he noticed significant improvement in his acne. In face, I want to say he said it was almost completely healed, but I'll have to check on that tomorrow and I'll edit this if that was indeed the case. It's been years since I heard this story firsthand from Mack so I'll call his wife for a reminder from them tomorrow.

Just wanted to put that out there.