Menu

What kind of physical activity does your 7 year old boy do?

RainbowSprinkles

Whatever is available and captures their interest.

I have a DS10 and DS8.

Long term: DS10-- swimming and karate, wants to continue fencing. Has done short-term baseball, t-ball, soccer, flag football, kickball, dodgeball, etc. He's not a super athletic kid, but of the short-term stuff, dodgeball was by far the mst fun for him (note: our athletic club is really well-run. This is not kill the shrimp dodgeball from gym class).

Long term: DS8: swimming and gymnastics. Has done short-term t-ball and kickball.

Both are in HS gym class at athletic club, plus regular hikes, learning to ride bikes, hiking, playground, DS8 in PT, lots of backyard play, backyard pickup sports, etc.

Some decisions are strictly parental (I insist they become proficient swimmers) but otherwise, I believe in listening to some input from your kids when it comes to sports, within reasonable limits. DS10 has done a lot of experimenting and discovered he's happiest in more individual pursuits. DS8 is very happy in individual events. Once they join something, I make them see it through. But if they aren't happy, we don't repeat, though they each have to pick one 'core competency' area to stick with beyond swimming.

Weekly swimming

Gymnastics class

"woods club" We created this with the neighborhood kids. They meet weekly for 2 hours in the nearby woods to create forts, play with slingshots, and just run around. For ages 8 to 11 (my 7.5yo goes with his 11 yo brother). Girls invited, but only one comes occasionally. No supervision, and only one broken arm so far in 2 + years.:001_smile:

Ruth

What about putting him in ballet too? That's what my son did at 7 and it's what he continues to do at 12. He actually enjoys the discipline of classical ballet far more than my daughter (though she has more natural ability). Boys can get more performance opportunities than girls sometimes (and sometimes more scholarship opportunities as well). We did change schools so that ds could have more male teachers (right now three of his four regular teachers are men) and more boys in his classes... It's been so good for him, he enjoys it...

My DS just turned 7. He does karate and we are going to start attending the local homeschool sports "club". He's also interested in gymnastic and BMX, but nothing formal for those right now. I told him he could only choose 2 regularly scheduled activities. As it turns out, karate is 3x week so we still have something going on 4 days a week.

dd7 and ds9 both swim competitively, year round, and have been since they were 5/7. It's a commitment, though...they swim 1.5 hours a day, 5 days a week, all year long and have swim meets about once a month.

dd7 takes ballet year round (low-key community center classes). DS9 takes ballet, usually only 6 months out of the year, though. He goes in phases of being interested in it, then not...which is fine.

DS7 just started karate today - it's a really simple, easy going class at the Y. It meets once a week.

He did soccer from the time he was 4.5 til he was 6. He then took a couple of seasons off, and did swimming lessons this summer.

DS5 did soccer when he was 4 and hated it. He's trying again this fall for the first time since then (been a year and a half). Hoping it goes better!

I require extracurriculars. 1 per season (fall, spring, summer) per child. DD will start her extracurriculars next year, after she turns 3.

Whatever is available and captures their interest.

I have a DS10 and DS8.

Long term: DS10-- swimming and karate, wants to continue fencing. Has done short-term baseball, t-ball, soccer, flag football, kickball, dodgeball, etc. He's not a super athletic kid, but of the short-term stuff, dodgeball was by far the mst fun for him (note: our athletic club is really well-run. This is not kill the shrimp dodgeball from gym class).

Long term: DS8: swimming and gymnastics. Has done short-term t-ball and kickball.

Both are in HS gym class at athletic club, plus regular hikes, learning to ride bikes, hiking, playground, DS8 in PT, lots of backyard play, backyard pickup sports, etc.

Some decisions are strictly parental (I insist they become proficient swimmers) but otherwise, I believe in listening to some input from your kids when it comes to sports, within reasonable limits. DS10 has done a lot of experimenting and discovered he's happiest in more individual pursuits. DS8 is very happy in individual events. Once they join something, I make them see it through. But if they aren't happy, we don't repeat, though they each have to pick one 'core competency' area to stick with beyond swimming.

oh, and :iagree: with this, too :D

Hip-hop :) but we started him at 5; I don't know when he'll figure out that it's mostly girls. Maybe not before that becomes an attractive feature!

We did swimming lessons this summer.

And I go for two hours outside play/day. We have a yard & good parks nearby, so it is relatively easy for us but it took so much effort to get into the habit, at first he didn't know what to do with himself outside.

Button was miserable with soccer. -- I have thought about starting the Canadian Air Force 10x exercises with him, but haven't done it yet; and he likes Yoga for Kids ABC.

My eldest is seven. I insist on a sport. Last year that was running club which had 2 sessions each one being 8 weeks long. This year I'm going to insist they try something else during the down time of running club.

Running club is just once a week, one hour a time. But my boys run a lot. During the 20 minute challenge (run for 20 minutes )my eldest did a little over 3.5k and my youngest did about 2k.

The main thing is we bike a lot. I don't like to drive. So that means it is not unusual for my kids to go about 50k a week just getting around town, errands, ...

Both my boys are good swimmers. My eldest swam across the lake and back this year without help. (and since it's a deep lake no touching bottom) which is about 1.5k.

This summer as a extra pyshcial activity we tired to bike around town a lot and find all the play structures. My boys are able to go about 20k in on day pack a picnic and stop at lots of parks. In this manner we have found and mapped 48 different 'places of interesst'. They have also learnt a lot about navigating around town, directions, street safety, maps, places to get free water bottle refills, ....

Edited by Julie Smith

My ds is 8 but when he was 7 he did Swimming lessons(we do them year round), soccer, and basketball. I would think a boy would enjoy taekwondo(my ds tried it and didn't enjoy it but he was pretty young), or even gymnastics. Personally I prefer the team sports because they only last for a set time and then they are done. Things like Taekwondo are year round and they continually nickle and dime you.

My dd has just started ballet about a month ago and now I would like to find something for ds7. Originally, I was thinking some kind of martial arts. But what else is out there for boys?

I'm not interested in team sports like soccer, basketball,etc... at this point as it would add too much to our schedule.

When my son was that age, he was dancing. He started at the ballet school at six and was taking two or three classes a week at age seven. He also did gymnastics when he was younger.

We don't do any formal activity or classes. My oldest ds turned 8 today. He swings, slides, climbs, trampolines, wrestles with brother, bumps down the stairs on bottom, does gymnastics on the furniture, sleds in winter, we cycle as a family, ramble the countryside as a family, explore the sand dunes whatever the weather and walk our dogs daily in a local forest park. Phew!