Menu

Would you spend $900 on a double bass for a 5yo?

If you were prepared to rent for $40 per month, it comes to almost the same. If you pay $40 per month, that is $480 in a year- so if the instrument lasts for 2 years, buying it is cheaper than renting, and much cheaper if you consider that you end up with something you can resell.

That said- no, for a 5 y/o I would not enter any long term or expensive commitments.

Edited by regentrude

If you were prepared to rent for $40 per month, it comes to almost the same. If you pay $40 per month, that is $480 in a year, $720 for 1.5 years - so if the instrument lasts for 20 months, buying it is cheaper than renting, and much cheaper if you consider that you end up with something you can resell.

That said- no, for a 5 y/o I would not enter any long term or expensive commitments.

Yes, that's why I wanted to rent for a year or two, even if I ended up spending more, at least there was no commitment.

If you were prepared to rent for $40 per month, it comes to almost the same. If you pay $40 per month, that is $480 in a year- so if the instrument lasts for 2 years, buying it is cheaper than renting, and much cheaper if you consider that you end up with something you can resell.

But, again, you usually receive some of that as credit when you trade up an instrument.

I'd contact music stores in your area. Most rent instruments to children in school programs. See if they are able to get the size your ds needs and if it's available in a rent to own program. Rent to own programs allow for getting a larger instrument as the child grows. Some also allow for the child to switch instruments.

You can also search ebay. I think you can get a 1/4 bass for a couple hundred dollars less than the teacher said on ebay. If the teacher wants a specific manufacturer you may be more limited.

I'd start him on piano with a promise that he can switch to bass when he's older. Piano would get him started on reading bass clef and be an excellent introduction to instrumental music. Pianos can usually be rented/borrowed/bought for not too much money. Another nice thing is that you can play both classical and jazz on piano just as you can on bass.

I wouldn't spend that much on an instrument for a child until they had played for a number of years, and show that 1) they're really interested in pursuing it, willing to practice, and are getting serious about it; and 2) are responsible enough to care for the instrument properly. Even a very responsible 5 yo is more likely to have "accidents" than an older child.

I payed $0 for my dd14's clarinet, dd9's flute, and ds15's french horn (I paid $110 worth of repairs for the horn he started on). I paid $75 for ds11's trombone. I asked around in every group and e-mail list I'm on, and people were willing to donate or let us borrow the instruments they played in high school and had sitting in their closet collecting dust. The trombone I found on Craig's list.

Of course, those are more common instruments for young people to play (excepting the f. horn--around here those are provided by the school for ps kids), and easier to find in the way I did. I would be willing to rent the string bass, or to pay a few hundred dollars for a small bass, but not $900.

Could he start on cello, then switch if he sticks with it? Or could you try Craig's List or one of the online rental places????

Good luck.

I have a son in cello and they are very expensive instruments. Fortunately for us, the music school provides his instrument, but if it weren't provided, we would rent. It's fairly reasonable to rent compared to buying a new instrument, especially with the added complication of needing to buy a new one every year or so because of growing kids. I would NOT buy such an expensive instrument for a 5-year old.

Once he has settled on this instrument and has stopped growing (and in our case, the school no longer provides him one), we will purchase him a cello of his own.

Find a local store that sells and repairs used and new stringed instruments and you'll probably also find the place that rents them. :)

I might and this is why--if I paid $900 (and btw, checking prices that is VERY good, wonder if it's a decent instrument), used it for two years and then sold it for $800, I'd be way ahead on the rental price. We're about to sell a 3/4 cello.

I'm concerned about what the market is for a bass. If it was a more popular instrument, I would be more inclined.

I wonder if any students are moving up and have an old one to sell. I'll call and find out.

My DS went to his first suzuki bass lesson tonight. We did an intro to suzuki camp in the summer, and he chose bass. The paperwork said the bass rental was $30-$40 a month for bass rental. (This is on top of a $1100 per semester lesson fee.)

I asked how much it would be, and she said "8-900 dollars." :blink::blink::blink: then I asked how long it would last, and she said, "A year or two."

!

I have two professional string muscians in my family, my girls did violin/viola, so I've picked up a few things.

keep looking for a rental, I think a new instrument for a 5yo is ridiculous. I'd look for a USED instrument (online/ebay even) for considerably less. He's five, it doesn't need to be a first rate instrument.

another option is to start him on cello, then move him to bass when he's bigger and finding one his size is easier. (not uncommon to start on one string and move to another.)

I might and this is why--if I paid $900 (and btw, checking prices that is VERY good, wonder if it's a decent instrument), used it for two years and then sold it for $800, I'd be way ahead on the rental price. We're about to sell a 3/4 cello.

:iagree: Plus, string instruments tend to keep their value (at least in my experience they have).

If you have a strong Suzuki program there it will attract new kids and you likely won't have very much trouble passing it on to someone smaller.

here are some listings from ebay with case. packages start at $500 with free shipping. (at $40 per month rental, that pays for itself by the middle of the second year)

I updated the link to a 1/16 package. I bought a used large (4/4 is 16" and It was a 17" instrument. fit her wonderfully, very broad shoulders, extra-long arms.) size viola and sold it for nearly as much as I paid for it . . . Now she's decided she wants to play viola again . . . .

Edited by gardenmom5

I'm going to try to help you sort out what you want to do by giving you my perspective as a veteran Suzuki mom.....who finished it out all the way to a daughter majoring in a string instrument. There's a pretty steep learning curve if you don't have any string experience. I was shocked by the cost more than a few times.

You've already probably figured out this first part: the larger the instrument, the more expensive it is (within each quality level e.g. a beginner cello will cost more than a beginner violin). As Margaret in Co (also a veteran string mom) said, $800-900 for a double bass is an inexpensive, less than full size, beginner instrument. Check out these sites for comparisons: http://www.johnsonstring.com/ , http://www.sharmusic.com/ , http://www.swstrings.com/ . These sites have respected rental programs--none of them will rent a double bass.

Look at the long view. What are your goals, and what are you willing to support into the future? Are you mainly interested in beginning an instrument that your ds would enjoy so that he can learn something about music? Would you allow your ds to continue private lessons until he graduates so that he can audition for a conservatory? A full size double bass of adequate quality will cost thousands of dollars. I'm guessing at least $8,000-10,000. One that would work for college will be much, much more, and your ds will need to own his instrument. (ps high schools typically own inexpensive basses for their players to use). As the instrument gets bigger, you will have to make allowance for transporting it. Believe it or not, high school bass players' families choose their vehicles with transporting an oversized instrument in mind.

Even though Suzuki may offer a double bass curriculum, I haven't seen many youngsters taking those lessons. For those who do, I'm wondering if maybe their parents rent a cello and restring it with sized bass strings (they often do this for little violas). Ask about it. I also think it's fairly typical to begin on cello and then switch once a child is older and committed to music. Perhaps this would work?

Don't panic about cost, but don't inadvertently get sucked into an instrument you already know you can't afford in the long run. Suzuki was great for us. We really learned how to incorporate music into all aspects of our family life. Music also turned out to be extremely important in my dds' lives. I'm really glad we began that journey.

Good luck,

Beth

here are some listings from ebay with case. packages start at $500 with free shipping. (at $40 per month rental, that pays for itself by the middle of the second year)

I updated the link to a 1/16 package. I bought a used large (4/4 is 16" and It was a 17" instrument. fit her wonderfully, very broad shoulders, extra-long arms.) size viola and sold it for nearly as much as I paid for it . . . Now she's decided she wants to play viola again . . . .

I'm sorry, I feel like a moron, but I can't find the 1/16 bass. I see bass down to 1/8, and then violins down to 1/16. My eyes may be playing tricks on me, sorry if it's completely obvious and I'm missing it. Thanks for your help!

I'm going to try to help you sort out what you want to do by giving you my perspective as a veteran Suzuki mom.....who finished it out all the way to a daughter majoring in a string instrument. There's a pretty steep learning curve if you don't have any string experience. I was shocked by the cost more than a few times.

You've already probably figured out this first part: the larger the instrument, the more expensive it is (within each quality level e.g. a beginner cello will cost more than a beginner violin). As Margaret in Co (also a veteran string mom) said, $800-900 for a double bass is an inexpensive, less than full size, beginner instrument. Check out these sites for comparisons: http://www.johnsonstring.com/ , http://www.sharmusic.com/ , http://www.swstrings.com/ . These sites have respected rental programs--none of them will rent a double bass.

Look at the long view. What are your goals, and what are you willing to support into the future? Are you mainly interested in beginning an instrument that your ds would enjoy so that he can learn something about music? Would you allow your ds to continue private lessons until he graduates so that he can audition for a conservatory? A full size double bass of adequate quality will cost thousands of dollars. I'm guessing at least $8,000-10,000. One that would work for college will be much, much more, and your ds will need to own his instrument. (ps high schools typically own inexpensive basses for their players to use). As the instrument gets bigger, you will have to make allowance for transporting it. Believe it or not, high school bass players' families choose their vehicles with transporting an oversized instrument in mind.

Even though Suzuki may offer a double bass curriculum, I haven't seen many youngsters taking those lessons. For those who do, I'm wondering if maybe their parents rent a cello and restring it with sized bass strings (they often do this for little violas). Ask about it. I also think it's fairly typical to begin on cello and then switch once a child is older and committed to music. Perhaps this would work?

Don't panic about cost, but don't inadvertently get sucked into an instrument you already know you can't afford in the long run. Suzuki was great for us. We really learned how to incorporate music into all aspects of our family life. Music also turned out to be extremely important in my dds' lives. I'm really glad we began that journey.

Good luck,

Beth

Thank you! Great words of wisdom, I'm going to talk to dh, and DS some more about.

Probably not. As you might guess from my SN, I play a string instrument. At 5, I would start him in piano. While I consider violin my main instrument, I learned the piano first. To be honest, the piano is great for actually visualizing and understanding music theory. He doesn't have to become awesome at the piano, just enough that he could supplement a secondary instrument that may become his main instrument. Even if one majors in an instrument (such as violin) it is nearly required to play the piano.

DH plays double bass and bought a minivan so that he can easily transport it. We've even taken it on vacation twice, to drop it off at a shop in Albuquerque. This last trip we had his bass, 4 people, and two weeks worth of vacation paraphernalia. It was crowded, but we did it!

We are very serious about music here. DS plays viola and DD plays cello. They have played for 5 years. We are just now talking about buying DD a cello, and that's because she's finally using a full-size. DS is still growing, so we will not be buying him a viola anytime soon.

I would not buy a double bass for a 5 year old. Either have him start with cello or take piano lessons. Both would be valuable if he plays the bass later. (DD's cello recital had a little boy about 6 or 7 years old playing. Adorable! That cello was so tiny! :) )

My son started playing the double bass when he was 7, he is now at music college majoring in classical bass performance. He started on a 1/8th size bass, (I think the smallest size you could get was a 1/10th size which a small 6yr old started at the same time as him) he then went to a 1/4 size and jumped to a 3/4 size when he was turning 12, he still plays this one.You only need a full size bass if you play in a professional orchestra. We were fortunate we were loaned an instrument through his program as small double basses are expensive as there is a very limited market. I would do a really good search for mini bass programs as there will be someone out there that is desperate to sell a small bass, or look for a shop that does a trade up deal. If he does start playing at such a young age he will be an outstanding bassist by the time he reaches high school age and will have a lot of opportunities as far as youth orchestra's etc go. As far as cars go you would be surprised what you can fit into, we can fit my son's new full size bass into a Honda Jazz and still have room for 2 passengers.

The bass is a beautiful instrument and relative to other string instruments very few people take it seriously and play to a high standard (it is on the endagered instrument list) so I would try to enable him to play it if at all possible.

A full size double bass of adequate quality will cost thousands of dollars. I'm guessing at least $8,000-10,000. One that would work for college will be much, much more, and your ds will need to own his instrument. (ps high schools typically own inexpensive basses for their players to use). As the instrument gets bigger, you will have to make allowance for transporting it. Believe it or not, high school bass players' families choose their vehicles with transporting an oversized instrument in mind.

:iagree:$10K is an inexpensive advanced student instrument. My nephew coughed up $12K for a cello in college 10+ years ago. That was the best he could afford. Good thing his wife's a lawyer. (he went through seven different instruments before settling on the cello).

And airplane seats. Serious large string players will not stow their instrument in the cargo hold of an airplane. too easily damaged.

We tried piano, and he hated it. :glare: admittedly, I forced him into it, he wanted nothing to do with the piano. After that, I bought his drum set, which is what he wanted to play, and he is on his 5th month of lessons, doing great.

So, I'm hesitant to make him switch. Illl bring it up, I know he won't do piano, but maybe I can see if he wants to try cello.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

No I wouldn't. My 9 year old had been playing ukulele for over a year when we bought an electric guitar/amp b/c he also wanted to play that. Two weeks later he decides ukulele is enough.

I haven't been able to sell this unused guitar or amp all year. I tried donating it to the youth group at church...nope, they didn't want it. I am only out $280 but 8-900? for a 5 year old?

My dd wants to play harp and I told her in the future. To me that is more expensive than her violin now and if she's seriously wanting to do it, she can wait until she's older. Same for her flute desires :lol:

Have you considered trying to find a used one? I could see pyaing $2-300 b/c over a year or two you have paid the same as a rental. But if you can't find used cheap or rent just explain he can take it when he's older and pick a rental instrument.

Runningmom, I see you are in the Midwest. You could try calling Total Music in Glenview, Illinois, and then ask them (probably Gary) if he knows of a place where you could rent or buy for a reasonable amount. They are very matter of fact but know their stuff and might be able to suggest a business that would better suit your needs.

Runningmom, I see you are in the Midwest. You could try calling Total Music in Glenview, Illinois, and then ask them (probably Gary) if he knows of a place where you could rent or buy for a reasonable amount. They are very matter of fact but know their stuff and might be able to suggest a business that would better suit your needs.

Thanks!